Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
This game is my guilty pleasure.

Yes, it's a long stretch from point A to B. Yes, it's all things Ey-Nii-Maay. However, what the game lacks in game direction, it compensates to some degree in visual design, music and battle system (Yes, it is different and restricting but still entertaining).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I've heard a lot of complaints about the "hallway simulation", but isn't this the game as linear as Final Fantasy X?

The difference is, FFXIII offers practically no diversions whatsoever to the player outside fighting monsters. The pacing is pretty much non-stop fighting from beginning to the end. The only real respite you get is during cutscenes and one specific chapter in the game. This can wear players down quickly when talking about 20+ hour game.

When people talk about "linearity", that is what they are truly referring to, even if they don't realize it themselves.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 1, 2014

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

ChaosSamusX posted:

Snow: "Here, point this probably loaded gun at these civilians as I give it to you in a weird way."

Is basic gun safety not common knowledge or something?

If that was a serious question, I would say "No, it most definitely isn't". Not in the game or the real world.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

For anyone interested in the development process of FFXIII, read the developer's Post Mortem from Game Developer's Magazine. Essentially, the actual development of the game did not start until the demo was released alongside the Blu-ray edition of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. Yes, they did not have anything resembling a playable game before that point and they openly admitted it.

Also, Snow's theme is great, as is most of the music in the game.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 4, 2014

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

As for the story in this game: It's genuinely not bad. Yes, it might be awkwardly told through DATALOGs, has funky characters and maybe even require a second playthrough (I confess), but in comparison to other games in the series, it's perfectly adequate. I know a lot of people won't agree with me though. :v:

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 5, 2014

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Upcoming chapters will have some very nice music associated them, if nothing else. :v:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

1stGear posted:

What the gently caress is going on with Vanille's accent? Is it Australian? English? Who knows!

Vanille's actress is Australian, but the director responsible for the voice cast specifically requested actors who could do Australian accents. The reason is a bit spoilery so I won't go into that.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 7, 2014

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Big Nothing posted:

I remember reading a story about Vanille's VA asking people about how much they liked the demo, and one player said 'I liked it but i found Vanille's voice annoying'. She replied with 'Really?' in Vanille's voice :v:

The Vestige is a weird place. How did they get inside? How large is the vestige? What is the purpose of the vestige?

That will be addressed in some fashion, though I can't remember how exactly.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

So could someone explain to me why exactly Square felt the need to make 'Lightning' a codename or whatever? I mean, her own sister calls her Lightning, why not just make it her actual name? It's obviously not for realism's sake, because Snow is apparently a perfectly legitimate name. While we're at it, do we ever actually find out that Lightning's a codename outside of the datalog?

Personally, it would've been a cool idea if all the characters were simply referred by a specific code name (a la Reservoir Dogs). It could've worked in the context of the story as they are outlaws/fugitives whatnot.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

The frozen lake really reminds me of that one location from Chrono Cross where time had stopped.
Also, if the party members are interchangeable and it's the paradigms that matter, can we just bench Vanille forevermore?

Short answer: No. That's not how the game works. :v:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Uh-huh. I didn't mean gag her and remove her from the plot (appealing as that may be), just not having to see her maniacal gestures everytime we fight.

You're gonna love Chapters 4, 6 and 8.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Rita Repulsa posted:

So our party is a complete rear end in a top hat, traumatized kid, a stiff "stoic" heroine, the queen of the anime club, and Sazh. No wonder people dislike these characters.

I still don't get the paradigm thing. It keeps being touted as "interesting" but... is all you do pick some paradigms and then mash attack? Like do you have different attacks to choose from? Does positioning or choice of which enemies you target matter at all?

The interesting part comes building appropriate Paradigms and switching them dynamically in battle. This requires you to understand how each individual role works and which combinations are most effective against the specific monster you are fighting.

For example, COM/RAV/RAV is your staple offensive Paradigm, but SAB/RAV/RAV can be even more effective against monsters vulnerable to debuffs. SEN/RAV/RAV on other hand is useful against enemies that need to be tanked.

So for example, you can start the battle with SAB/RAV/RAV, then switch to SEN/RAV/RAV once debuffs stick and then let loose with COM/RAV/RAV when the enemy is staggered. (Or just use SEN/SAB/RAV. Whatever seems appropriate)

There's a lot of useful combinations and you'll be switching in and out of them constantly to keep up with the game. The only problem with the Paradigm system is, you can't adjust them mid-battle.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ashsaber posted:

Actually, he does have a reason to have a weapon. Vanille gave it to him on screen, just before they got on the fish cycle (IIRC). Of course, it was nearly impossible to tell what it was, just that she was giving him something, so I don't blame you for missing it. Where he stores it, well, that I'm drawing a blank on.

She gave him an assault rifle. The scene even shows Hope leaving it behind on the ground. So no, there's absolutely no reason why he has a boomerang up his rear end.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 17, 2014

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Mehuyael posted:

A remote-control hunting boomerang? That's the dumbest hunting utility I've ever heard of. How would it even work?

I laughed. :v:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't be able to use Tri-Disaster entirely because that's a horrible mechanic and it'd keep me paranoid all the time, so I would always have someone as a Medic. It would make the game even more of a slog, so I'd probably leave it really fast. The more you show, the more glad I am that I never got the chance to play this.

The game will flip you sideways and violate you every way possible if you attempt to use Medic role for "back up healing". It's not a safety measure, on the contrary it fucks you up even more.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 22, 2014

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Artix posted:

To be honest, I think the juggling thing is totally intentional. Not only because there is a skill that we'll get a little bit later which serves as a "finishing blow" if the enemy is airborne and their stagger is about to run out, but the game wants you to be playing things fast. When you're taking things slow, the game gives you low ranks in combat (and later it will actively punish you for taking too long), so a feature which basically lets you get in a ton of damage at absolutely no risk to yourself seems totally in line with the "gotta go fast" mentality of combat.

The AI won't try to Launch something if it can't (at least, I'm pretty sure)

This is true. However, in certain very specific situations monsters can be very briefly immune to launching which causes the characters to use Launch over and over. But again, this is very specific, random and chances are you'll never see it happen in one playthrough.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

Quake is in such a weird place of absolute uselessness that I have to wonder why it's even in the game in the first place. Holdover from some older version of the battle system? The realization of someone on the team that if you HAD enemies weak to earth, you might also want to give the player at least an excuse for an earth spell?

As it stands, it's not only useless for its cost and being tucked away in the Techniques menu to begin with, there is no way you could make it work even with the smallest of enemies. Any poo poo-imp will take at least one ATB's worth of Fire spells from two Ravagers to down. Unless Quake is literally 12 times stronger than a normal spell, it just won't do much which simply attacking couldn't. It having a cost and therefor be limited to two casts max per battle is something that can't even begin to work with the "spam everything forever because we abolished MP wooo" attitude the combat system has.

The main and only utility of Quake is to use it after a successful pre-emptive attack as it will reliably push every single enemy on the screen over the stagger threshold. I used it everytime when such situation occured. It is a situational technique, but useful nonetheless.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 28, 2014

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Artix posted:

I wish I had that kind of knowledge lying to bust out for the LP. That said, while the specifics are new, the overall picture is the same as before - you need commandos to make a stagger last and saboteurs can serve in a pinch, but you're better off with the real deal.

This Game Mechanics FAQ goes into the really nitty gritty details of the battle system and gives the raw numbers involved which is pretty nice:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/928790-final-fantasy-xiii/faqs/59246

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Fedule posted:

Lightning Returns is Actually Quite Good.

I feel like the good things are largely shadowed by the horrible things. Such as the insane NPCs with their insane dialogue and the main characters feel so out of place in the game in their own game.

But alas, I've yet to finish the game and despite the myriad of technical issues the game has, the gameplay is not bad. It's just coated with layers of suck.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

GeneX posted:

That's a shame. He was a good antagonist, even if he made no goddamn sense. From what I recall of Pork Lift and Wateyad's aborted FFXIII-2 LP, the next antagonist is a Sephiroth ripoff, yes? Nowhere near as fun as Robot-god-pope.

He gets bonus points for being voiced by Liam O' Brien. Also he is literally unkillable for the entirety of FFXIII franchise and becomes the god of death and ruler of the underworld because he's just that powerful

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

FFXIII-2 is definitely the most balanced game out of the three. There's something I really despise about Lightning Returns but I can't put my finger on it. It's as if they made the whole world and the NPCs so extremely dumb that you don't really care about anything that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

like mechanically balanced or well rounded? because the former is the opposite of true

As in there's good balance between exploration, battles, party customization, main and side content. Nothing feels overwhelming like the handholding in FFXIII or endless wandering in LR.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 1, 2015

• Locked thread