Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

The closest I can do is Skippy.

I'm a big fan of Skip Scap myself. Also I'm P-3 Navy which isn't real Navy, please tell me this Sea Warrior bullshit isn't real as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

There's no SCPOA. Those shits don't have the passionate espirit de corps to set one up. Instead we voluntell our Po's to sell beer at Miller Park on their weekends.

Where do you work at Great Lakes?

Also Miller Park beer selling is the easiest and best thing to do on weekdays. The schoolhouse I work at counts it as your workday so instead of being in the Navy I can pretend to be a concessions worker!

It's a nice change of pace.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Mad Dragon posted:

Bullshit. We did them all the time.

I did three in six years on a boat...

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The fat test should just be "can you fit through a hatch without touching the sides." I'm not convinced any actual medical professionals were involved when the Navy decided someone wasn't considered fat because their neck is fat.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
I am being led to understand that you are eligible to retain benefits following 3 failed PFA's assuming you meet the criteria for an Honourable Discharge. Is this correct? I only have 1 PFA failure on record and i'm hoping that my transfer which essentially is right smack in the middle of our PFA cycle won't mess up and earn me a 2nd failure. Not that i'm worried of course, just curious.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

The fat test should just be "can you fit through a hatch without touching the sides." I'm not convinced any actual medical professionals were involved when the Navy decided someone wasn't considered fat because their neck is fat.

A fat neck helps you pass.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Right, a fat neck means you're not fat by Navy standards. How does that work?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sir Lucius posted:

Right, a fat neck means you're not fat by Navy standards. How does that work?

Fatties usually gain fat in the belly disproportionately so people who are just big-boned or muscular will have proportional stomach-neck measurements.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I got a 17 1/2 neck at 220. Lost ten pounds to hit the right BMI and ended up losing 1/2 off my neck. Got down to 200 to hit BMI again but ended up just hitting the max weight for my age during my MEPS physical of 196 so I didn't have to be taped. Plan on losing another 15 or so before leaving for boot. Being fat was overrated anyways.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I've seen some really strangely shaped fatties that it just works for.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Sir Lucius posted:

I heard somewhere (maybe the mess decks? ;) ) that the whole tape thing was based on some old actuarial tables used by health insurance companies. Of course we all know the major reason it is used is because its simple and quick to do.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

I really want to get one of these stickers. And probably put the rest on our CFLs' cars.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I always crack up when fatties bitch about body fat % and taping. Yes, the system they use is terribly inaccurate but the only people who fail being taped are fat fucks. If anything I think the standards should be set higher for the weigh in and actual physical test but that's just me.

"i'm not fat I just have a small neck and big waist! I do the elliptical 3 times a week! Yes, of course I want fries with that."

:qqsay:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

I always crack up when fatties bitch about body fat % and taping. Yes, the system they use is terribly inaccurate but the only people who fail being taped are fat fucks. If anything I think the standards should be set higher for the weigh in and actual physical test but that's just me.

"i'm not fat I just have a small neck and big waist! I do the elliptical 3 times a week! Yes, of course I want fries with that."

:qqsay:

Lol, this is what my old LPO was raging on about. Dude's got a gut that makes me worry the bottom 2 buttons on his NWUs will result in a work related accident when they lose the motivation to keep his blouse together. I've seen body builders with chiseled bodies that make me question my sexuality fail the BCA though, so I do call bullshit on some of the measurements but drat, at least those guys limit how much muscle they're packing on so they pass and don't do ridiculous body wraps with ghost pepper-lemon water mixes to pass the BCA so they can start up eating In n Out every day afterwards.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I've personally never seen a genuinely fit and huge dude fail the BCA. One dude was doing HGH and probably 'roids and got huge but has a huge HGH gut. We laugh because he'll probably fail the BCA

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
The tape test is terribly off for women. It's horrible. Especially for curvy women of color and Mexicans and basically anyone who isn't a skinny white girl or Filipina. I've always made weight and never worried about it but it's a constant complaint and I've seen VERY fit girls have issues.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Females are always either broken or in a perpetual cycle of being pregnant or postpartum though

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 28, 2014

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

Christoff posted:

Females are always either broken or in a perpetual state of being pregnant or postpartum though

One of our Firemen walked in today screaming "Guess what i'm pregnant!" at the top of her lungs. It's not like anyone in the department is going to miss her "I refuse to study or qualify ANYTHING" attitude that pretty much kept her at the bottom of the run for just about everything, and apparently is going to keep her there.

Being in danger of failing a PFA is one thing. Getting some random John Deer you met in the honcho to scramble your eggs and keep you from failing the tape a 3rd consecutive time is another. Sometimes I can't believe it's that easy to get off of a sea duty billet.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Do pregnant chicks generally get lovely evals or???

I love being in an all male unit. So much less drama.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Christoff posted:

I've personally never seen a genuinely fit and huge dude fail the BCA. One dude was doing HGH and probably 'roids and got huge but has a huge HGH gut. We laugh because he'll probably fail the BCA

I've never failed it but I'm always on the line. I work out 4-5 times a week, mostly lifting, with high intensity cardio mixed in. When I started lifting regularly is when the BF% (and the weight for that matter) became an issue for me. I had it checked the first time I was close and a 7 site caliper test showed me at 14% vice the 21% the tape had me at. That said I can't deny that most of the people that bitch are pretty physically gross people.

However I'd rather have some big strong dude there to pull me out of a burning aircraft or compartment instead of the rail thin skinny gently caress who can run the 1.5 mile in 8 minutes but can't lift a 45 lb plate. Aerobic endurance doesn't really have a lot of applicability to the typical Sailor's job or the sort of situations that would test their fitness.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I agree but would you rather do some combat fitness test like the Marine Corps in addition to the PFA? Haha. I know doing a 1.5 mile run, pushups, and situps, isn't really a good gauge for your overall fitness. But how could they revamp the fitness requirements program? I feel bad for a lot of sub/surface dudes who work long and hard hours. With the chow on ship it can be generally tough to stay thin/fit I'd imagine. That said we were a bit spoiled on the ship I was on with a well equipped (albeit always packed) gym and flight deck to run on if your heart so desired.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

It's not that difficult to get into "Good" range though. If you can't run the mile and a half in under 12 minutes and you're less than 25 years old you probably have problems. It's why the good lord made it where you can just ride the bike or swim or something. If some fat rear end can pass it, there's no reason a fit dude can't jump on that bitch, put the resistance high and just pump their legs/arms on the machines until they pass 12 minutes or whatever the hell the minimum is.

The moment they "nuke" the PFA and make it rate specific is the day someone's just gonna find another reason why it's inaccurate and bitch about it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Pandasmores posted:

The moment they "nuke" the PFA and make it rate specific is the day someone's just gonna find another reason why it's inaccurate and bitch about it.

Also, broken down by rank.

Proposed IS PFA Events:
-The Coffee Walk: Make it from the mess deck to O3 level within spilling a drop.
-The Saunter: Make it within a certain time range (can't be too fast) to visit the AGs office, Bridge, CIC, Flag Plot, and back to your work center. Bonus points if you can hit the smoke deck, mess deck, or berthing without moving too quickly but, without failing.
-Bend and Reach: Fix your computer without the help of the ITs who get uppity about you doing there job as they cannot get credit.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
We had a dude pass out during a drill while wearing full FFE/SCBA. Motherfucker was like 6'6" and an old senior chief with their slackened height/weight standards and we literally could not get that guy through the watertight door without breaking out the rigging gear. If it had been any kind of real emergency he would've been dead on the floor, plus the missing man / rescue efforts would've pulled down the rest of the DC and potentially endangered the ship.

We've talked about this before but PFT standards that are mostly so we don't look bad in our uniforms to the flag officers from the other services don't do poo poo to make sure we can actually do our jobs. That may not mean much for clinic corpsmen but for anyone on a ship and certainly FMF corpsmen and the like, there really should be a 'combat PFT' and there do need to be more stringent requirements than 'can fit through the hatch and mostly into a rack.'

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
http://call-for-papers.sas.upenn.edu/node/55944

quote:

Dating at least to the sixteenth century, and taking place on various kinds of vessel, ‘Crossing the Line’ ceremonies were staged when a ship passed the equator, usually from north to south. Those who were doing so for the first time (‘polliwogs’ or ‘Johnny Raws’) were initiated into the Kingdom of Neptune by experienced sailors (‘shellbacks’) in a hazing ritual that could be deeply humiliating and unpleasant, but could also afford a strange satisfaction. Subjected to head-shaving and ducking, and asked to crawl through and swallow foul substances, sea-farers took part in a ritual that involved cross-dressing, oath swearing, and various forms of pageantry. The ceremony both inverted and strengthened shipboard hierarchies, with young naval officers often initiated by those they outranked.

What did this ceremony aim to achieve? How seriously should it be taken? This workshop, run by the ‘Perspective from the Sea’ research group at the University of Bristol, invites participants to consider this shipboard ceremony within a number of contexts. These will include (but are not limited to):

• On-board rituals and ceremonies, particularly those taking place in deep water
• Homosocial bonding rituals/ceremonies
• Border-crossing and transgression
• Similar ceremonies involving the subversion of normal hierarchies (i.e. the Boy Bishops)
• Literary representations of the ceremony
• Street theatre and civic pageantry
• The carnivalesque, saturnalia and clowning
• The role of tedium in generating seafaring rituals and superstitions
• The crossing of other lines (i.e. the arctic circle, the Pillars of Hercules, and the date-line)
• Sadism, masochism, and homoeroticism
• The ceremony as a ritual of re-birth

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

I'm so glad I had a chance to participate in the Crossing the Line before we stopped doing it at our command. Granted mine was practically PG-13 compared to the previous few, but at least we had a chance to do something other then "OK WHAT IS TRACK X DOING" for a day, plus everyone was willing to play along and could understand that when people started calling you WOG something fun was about to happen.

Now my command is full of 18 year old CT's wearing Gandalf shirts that are barely mature enough to read an EOSS correctly much less endure quacking like a duck and drinking seawater.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Alternatively, you can get out of the Navy (you should get out of the Navy) and do the same job you're doing with more pay and NOT have to do the PRT.

Just sayin'.

:smug:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Whites inspection day means my morning is coffeeless.

This is a goddamn travesty.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Get you a zippy cup.

Alternatively, learn to drink coffee without spilling it on yourself. And if you do, always have a bleach pen ready. That'll take out basically anything.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
lol, I love listening to people bitch out BFA standards. I mean, I totally think the system is inaccurate and terrible, but very few of the people who cry about it are the extremely jacked dudes that it really screws with.

I think my favorite was the morbidly obese LT I went to Dhalgren and Department Head School with. I had to sit next to her in Dhalgren and watched her cram cookies, soda, and twinkies into her mouth every day in class. One of the other girls in the class literally caught her licking the crumbs of a Little Debbie of some fashion off the desk. Unsurprisingly she tanked the weigh-in we did the first week in Newport and then immediately started crying that the CFL who taped her pulled the tape too tight on her neck so she would fail. A fine leader in our Navy.

Edit: Seriously though. Ditch the PRT, it is stupid. Replace it with an "Endurance Practical" that consists of donning an FFE and SCBA, climbing down to the bottom of the live fire trainer with a hose team, and fight a simulated mainspace fire until you tap out. Your score is based on how long you last. It doesn't matter if you are a career shore sailor or not, get the gently caress in that hole.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 28, 2014

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

PneumonicBook posted:

Where do you work at Great Lakes?

Also Miller Park beer selling is the easiest and best thing to do on weekdays. The schoolhouse I work at counts it as your workday so instead of being in the Navy I can pretend to be a concessions worker!

It's a nice change of pace.

ET "a." We work second shift, so getting volunteers is like pulling teeth.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Christoff posted:

I agree but would you rather do some combat fitness test like the Marine Corps in addition to the PFA? Haha. I know doing a 1.5 mile run, pushups, and situps, isn't really a good gauge for your overall fitness. But how could they revamp the fitness requirements program? I feel bad for a lot of sub/surface dudes who work long and hard hours. With the chow on ship it can be generally tough to stay thin/fit I'd imagine. That said we were a bit spoiled on the ship I was on with a well equipped (albeit always packed) gym and flight deck to run on if your heart so desired.

I'd rather do something like the CFT INSTEAD of the PRT, not in addition to it. They were looking at a whole bunch of changes to the PRT a few years ago and most of them I thought were pretty decent. And guys that don't have access to adequate fitness facilities should absolutely get a waiver. I'm all about practicality/pragmatism. I also have to say I actually think NOFFS is a pretty good step in the right direction, even if I'm not exactly impressed with it's implentation, or lack thereof.

ManMythLegend posted:

lol, I love listening to people bitch out BFA standards. I mean, I totally think the system is inaccurate and terrible, but very few of the people who cry about it are the extremely jacked dudes that it really screws with.

I think my favorite was the morbidly obese LT I went to Dhalgren and Department Head School with. I had to sit next to her in Dhalgren and watched her cram cookies, soda, and twinkies into her mouth every day in class. One of the other girls in the class literally caught her licking the crumbs of a Little Debbie of some fashion off the desk. Unsurprisingly she tanked the weigh-in we did the first week in Newport and then immediately started crying that the CFL who taped her pulled the tape too tight on her neck so she would fail. A fine leader in our Navy.

Edit: Seriously though. Ditch the PRT, it is stupid. Replace it with an "Endurance Practical" that consists of donning an FFE and SCBA, climbing down to the bottom of the live fire trainer with a hose team, and fight a simulated mainspace fire until you tap out. Your score is based on how long you last. It doesn't matter if you are a career shore sailor or not, get the gently caress in that hole.

As I said, I recognize the fact that most of the complainers are fat fucks with no excuse for their condition and that I'm in the minority of people that the standards get kind of screwy with. No arguments there. I think your FFE/SCBA idea is pretty awesome and I'm being completely serious. I don't know if I'd make it completely endurance based but I think it is a really good starting point for a Navy "combat fitness test."

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

As I said, I recognize the fact that most of the complainers are fat fucks with no excuse for their condition and that I'm in the minority of people that the standards get kind of screwy with. No arguments there.

I believe you man. I'm actually really sympathetic to this sort of thing because I had a lot of buddies at the Academy that were football players and power lifters and stuff that the standards just do not work for at all. Honestly, like 99% of the problems would be solved if they graduated the BCA based on your total PFA score. Add 5% for a Good, 10% for an Excellent, and 15% for an Outstanding. The fatties would still fail, and the actually athletic people would pass. It's win-win, but then that would require sailors to do math so of course that's right out.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

dialhforhero posted:

Alternatively, you can get out of the Navy (you should get out of the Navy) and do the same job you're doing with more pay and NOT have to do the PRT.

Just sayin'.

:smug:

Yes, do this. Its great.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

I would unironically support this idea, if only because it is relevant to a real world scenario in the navy. Fat fucks would get owned just trying to strap into an FFE and SCBA.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 28, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

orange juche posted:

I would unironically support this idea, if only because it is relevant to a real world scenario in the navy. Fat fucks would get owned just trying to strap into an FFE and SCBA.

So would super-small dudes. Which isn't to say that maybe we shouldn't set a low end as well as a high on body mass variation if the goal is to ensure sailor A can pull sailor B's unconscious carcass from a smoke-filled compartment, but you do need some dudes who can squeeze to the far ends of the bilges.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

FYI, passing out due to heat stress is a bad thing.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

FYI, passing out due to heat stress is a bad thing.

I understand that, but it seems we have an over/under of 2 on CPO's dying every PFA cycle so it's not like we're comepletely safe from major health disasters with the current system. Also, we mandate that sailors do the live fire trainer now and the schoolhouses don't run red with blood. I'm not saying you have to make the passing criteria insane, but if you can't make it in the neigborhood of 10 minutes in that scenario (the average time a hose team fights before their relief is ordered into the space on CRUDES ship) then perhaps you are in the wrong line of work?

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

ManMythLegend posted:

Seriously though. Ditch the PRT, it is stupid. Replace it with an "Endurance Practical" that consists of donning an FFE and SCBA, climbing down to the bottom of the live fire trainer with a hose team, and fight a simulated mainspace fire until you tap out. Your score is based on how long you last. It doesn't matter if you are a career shore sailor or not, get the gently caress in that hole.

On behalf of club med sailors in the P-3/8 Navy everywhere, I protest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

LordNad posted:

On behalf of club med sailors in the P-3/8 Navy everywhere, I protest.

Unsurprising. However, if you can fight a mainspace fire then you should also be in good enough shape to fight the inevitable class A/C fire from when you leave the hot pocket in your microwave for too long.

• Locked thread