Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

MancXVI posted:

When I was at A school there was a dumb rumor floating around that boot camp was going to be extended by four weeks for hand-to-hand combat training.

PLEASE DON'T HIT ME, SHIPMATE

*pulls out stress card*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I dunno there are probably like scenario based training about how to not sexually assault people.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Laranzu posted:

I dunno there are probably like scenario based training about how to not sexually assault people.

It's VR based, you have to log onto NKO to take it and the login is 28 of the 30 hours

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Whole division: Chief can we go to Ricky heaven?

:chiefsay: : Oh hell yeah, let's take you guys to Ricky heaven, gimme 5 minutes.

*ABF1 and CS2 show up with stripping agent and floor polish*

:chiefsay: : Little did you motherfuckers know my middle name is Ricky and seeing you bitch is my heaven. Strip this loving floor and then polish what you stripped you bunch of loving boots, I'm going to the Mess.

Training us for the fleet like a G.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
Heading back to Great Lakes as an E-5 should be.. interesting, at most. Prepared for "Petty officer" all day every day, and that glorious mess hall.

Hobo de los Muertos
Aug 18, 2006

Pandasmores posted:

Whole division: Chief can we go to Ricky heaven?

:chiefsay: : Oh hell yeah, let's take you guys to Ricky heaven, gimme 5 minutes.

*ABF1 and CS2 show up with stripping agent and floor polish*

:chiefsay: : Little did you motherfuckers know my middle name is Ricky and seeing you bitch is my heaven. Strip this loving floor and then polish what you stripped you bunch of loving boots, I'm going to the Mess.

Training us for the fleet like a G.

Please, never join my beloved Information Dominance Corps...

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

TrialbyStone posted:

Heading back to Great Lakes as an E-5 should be.. interesting, at most. Prepared for "Petty officer" all day every day, and that glorious mess hall.

I'll probably see you there dude, I'm at the USO at the airport in San Diego right now waiting to go.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The weirdest thing that I can remember from boot camp is while the rest of the division was running laps for PT one day the RDCs had me sing Baby Got Back over the PA but as a country song. I don't begin to remember how that situation came about.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Snowdens Secret posted:

The weirdest thing that I can remember from boot camp is while the rest of the division was running laps for PT one day the RDCs had me sing Baby Got Back over the PA but as a country song. I don't begin to remember how that situation came about.

I bet you didn't fold your underwear properly.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Pepsi-Tan posted:

I'll probably see you there dude, I'm at the USO at the airport in San Diego right now waiting to go.

You guys should hang out.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Hobo de los Muertos posted:

Please, never join my beloved Information Dominance Corps...

Pfft, try and join a Corps that isn't the most combat decorated Corps in the service? All I did was ask questions about it, not planning on cross-rating :smug:

Don't see where a story from boot camp had anything to do with joining either...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

TrialbyStone posted:

Haha man I'd hate to be a fleet returnee at Great Lakes. Stay away from them females!

But god drat that chow hall was unreal. Probably the best I've seen in the Navy. Funny people went straight from a-school and being, well, more healthy and active than they normally are. Then to eating wings every day.

Mad Dragon posted:

PLEASE DON'T HIT ME, SHIPMATE

*pulls out stress card*

Ok so what is this stress card poo poo I always hear rumors about it. "Did you hear in Navy boot camp they have stress cards now!!!"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Christoff posted:

Ok so what is this stress card poo poo I always hear rumors about it. "Did you hear in Navy boot camp they have stress cards now!!!"

It's a rumor from the 90s that comes back every few years when people want to complain about how soft the military was compared to when they were in and they could rip off your penisand make you eat it or w/e bullshit story they wanna make up to make themselves seem like less of a goldbricking shitbag

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's a rumor from the 90s that comes back every few years when people want to complain about how soft the military was compared to when they were in and they could rip off your penisand make you eat it or w/e bullshit story they wanna make up to make themselves seem like less of a goldbricking shitbag

Supposedly this happened around 95. I heard the rumors about it happening a few months after I got out of boot but figured it was bullshit. Then one of my A-school instructors transferred to my boat in 96/97 I forget, and he told me how one of the guys in A-school pulled out a stress card he had from boot when he was yelling at him about him doing lovely on a test. I don't know if it is an accurate story because they guy loved to tell stories but there is my 'story' about it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ded posted:

Supposedly this happened around 95. I heard the rumors about it happening a few months after I got out of boot but figured it was bullshit. Then one of my A-school instructors transferred to my boat in 96/97 I forget, and he told me how one of the guys in A-school pulled out a stress card he had from boot when he was yelling at him about him doing lovely on a test. I don't know if it is an accurate story because they guy loved to tell stories but there is my 'story' about it.

No. It never happened. It is made up and has been made up or 20 drat years.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Holy poo poo, I actually got navy e-learning to work on my personal laptop. Time to completely gently caress off while "doing" these nko courses.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Figures. lovely Smitty did earn his name.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

That article is about the army. Please yell at me. I only have one punch left on my stress card and I want that free Subway foot-long.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mad Dragon posted:

That article is about the army. Please yell at me. I only have one punch left on my stress card and I want that free Subway foot-long.

In high school, one of my friend's girlfriend stole the special punch from her work. Took the manager like 7 weeks to figure out none of us were that big in to the Sub-Club

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ded posted:

Figures. lovely Smitty did earn his name.

Also

quote:

The military's "stress card" legend is one of those tales that had the smallest kernel of truth to it, but that truth is almost unrecognizable in the form the scuttlebutt has since taken.

For a few years during the 1990s, the US Navy did issue "stress cards" to new recruits, but they weren't the "Get out of jail free" coupons military lore has since turned them into. Rather, these cards listed resources the newcomers could contact "if things pile[d] up." The cards were strictly for informational purposes: they informed recruits who were thinking of "giving up" or "running away" of available support services they could turn to for assistance.

Navy RDCs (Recruit Division Commanders) began reporting that some recruits had taken to raising their cards while being disciplined as a way of signaling for a "time out." It's unclear whether any of those enduring basic training really thought that was the purpose of the cards or whether this was just standard armed forces jackassing, but the Navy took no chances and got rid of the cards.

This short-lived experiment with providing recruits with clear information about whom to contact when things went bump in the night has morphed into an unflattering and unsettling illustration of today's soldier as a creampuff. Notice how the story has mutated into one where the drill instructors are portrayed as honor bound to obey the cards when they are displayed to them, an aspect that wasn't part of things during the real cards' short life. The story has also widened its net; what was a Navy hand-out has, in the world of rumor, become a card issued to Army and Marine recruits, making this an Armed Forces-wide phenomenon.

If there's one constant in all branches of the military, it's :clint: "back in my day we weren't coddled little human being pansies!" BSing.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Stultus Maximus posted:

Also

If there's one constant in all branches of the military, it's :clint: "back in my day we weren't coddled little human being pansies!" BSing.

So it sort of was real. But it was more of a "don't kill yourself in boot please" than a stress card.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Just got word that I'll be in Virginia Beach for 4 more years (maybe 6!). I guess I'll start calling this place home. Hard for a San Diegan to accept.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Oh. It looks like the O4 selection board convened yesterday instead of in a week like I was told earlier. Oops. I hope I don't need that last FITREP and award submission that just got there yesterday.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

PSA: CALL YOUR DETAILER. As soon as you know you're transferring get a hold of them. 1866 u ask npc press 3. gently caress needs of the navy.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

DustyNuts posted:

Just got word that I'll be in Virginia Beach for 4 more years (maybe 6!). I guess I'll start calling this place home. Hard for a San Diegan to accept.

Little Creek or Oceana?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

not black enough posted:

PSA: CALL YOUR DETAILER. As soon as you know you're transferring get a hold of them. 1866 u ask npc press 3. gently caress needs of the navy.

Lol. But now you basically become needs of the Navy when you've been on shore for 24 months.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Mad Dragon posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/18/national/18crash.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Wasn't someone in GiP on board for this?

edit: Someone just posted this on FB. I didn't notice the 2005 publication date until just now. I know this happened a long time ago. I thought the article itself was new. :downs:

That combination of 2 boats is going to be the new prototype in Charleston (they want me to go there, I am lolin at that)

So, has anyone else in here been in a shipyard for most/all of their navy experience, because shipyards are very... well its strange qualifying when your LPO is also qualifying at the same time.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Ryand-Smith posted:

That combination of 2 boats is going to be the new prototype in Charleston (they want me to go there, I am lolin at that)

Did they ever commit to that? Last I heard they were still thinking of using the Miami.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Ryand-Smith posted:

So, has anyone else in here been in a shipyard for most/all of their navy experience, because shipyards are very... well its strange qualifying when your LPO is also qualifying at the same time.

Uhhh just our very own supernuke ket i'm sure he'll tell you how going home most nights is basically a cattle car in 1940 poland ha ha

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Yep, they said so in both the HEY GO TO PROTOTYPE/long term letter, since Miami is 'structurally unsound' or some garbage (I'm honestly shocked Miami didn't' get turned into a MTS, even with it failing subsafe it could have been strengthened enough to be another floating trainer.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Schlabbalabba posted:

Little Creek or Oceana?

Dam Neck. I live 5 minutes away so I have that going for me. I feel like I've already seen/done everything there is to see/do in VA Beach. I think we'll start planning some trips to DC.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

Oh. It looks like the O4 selection board convened yesterday instead of in a week like I was told earlier. Oops. I hope I don't need that last FITREP and award submission that just got there yesterday.

You're early selected and have orders for command. You're getting O-4. Quit loving worrying, skipper.

Also, you should gently caress with everyone and wear brown shoes just because.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
when having a uniform fight, replace the word uniform with outfit and marvel at how stupid your conversation is #lifehacks

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Ryand-Smith posted:

Yep, they said so in both the HEY GO TO PROTOTYPE/long term letter, since Miami is 'structurally unsound' or some garbage (I'm honestly shocked Miami didn't' get turned into a MTS, even with it failing subsafe it could have been strengthened enough to be another floating trainer.

Oh yeah, googling it says they decommed it two weeks ago and it's headed for the scrapyards. Kind of a shame, the Miami was always one of the happier boats on an unhappy waterfront. They were also (through no fault of their own) part of the reason we ran aground, so

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

You're early selected and have orders for command. You're getting O-4. Quit loving worrying, skipper.

I will cut him.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If you're the old man you should wear red shoes covered in sequins to gently caress with everyone just because.

Or high-heeled pirate boots that go up to your knees.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

:siren: Public Service Announcement :siren:

In case you guys don't bother to read the big red server announcements at the top of the page, CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS. OpenSSL had a major security breach that resulted in people being able to use a rather simple Python scripts to trawl for log-in/password information for any site that uses OpenSSL for security.

SA was effected by this but it was patched this morning, so any password you make now should be ok.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, I'm not super worried or anything but with the way the Navy is going you never know these days.

Mr. Nice! posted:

vulturesrow posted:

I will cut him.

I bathe in aviator tears to keep my youthful appearance.

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you're the old man you should wear red shoes covered in sequins to gently caress with everyone just because.

Or high-heeled pirate boots that go up to your knees.

I do what I like. It's good to be the king.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Do what my kick rear end skipper did. Walk around smoking cigars anywhere you drat well please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

I bathe in aviator tears to keep my youthful appearance.

A youthful looking SWO still looks geriatric to most of us. :dukedog:

• Locked thread