Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Pepsi-Tan posted:

I'll probably see you there dude, I'm at the USO at the airport in San Diego right now waiting to go.

You guys should hang out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

You're early selected and have orders for command. You're getting O-4. Quit loving worrying, skipper.

Also, you should gently caress with everyone and wear brown shoes just because.

I will cut him.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

I bathe in aviator tears to keep my youthful appearance.

A youthful looking SWO still looks geriatric to most of us. :dukedog:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

At first I killed aviators so I could bathe in their virgin blood, but that meant the baths were fewer. However, I found that their tears have the same virginal properties.

Now I just tell some P-3 guys that they won't be able to bring their wives with them on their next deployment and I've got enough tears to last a week or so.

I'm completely on board with the hazing of P-3 guys. But they are only pseudo aviators so their tears aren't going to be as effective for you.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

Based on the guys I've met I totally believe that.

I know some individuals in that community who are great guys but the community as whole is douchebag central. I had the misfortune of working for several P-3 guys and it was by far the most miserable experience I've ever had in the Navy.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Howard Phillips posted:

Just arrived in Charleston. Didn't realize how small NNPTC is. It's literally one building where everyone works out of. Looking at living in Ladson, about 15 minutes from school.

Already miss the ship and crazy that the next time I will on a destroyer will be as a department head. Just want to get through this nuke phase.

So this is what Stockholm Syndrome looks like. Interesting....

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Sir Lucius posted:

I would totally suffer ship life for 2 weeks to show my dad a tiger cruise. I care about him way more than any fuckheads in the Navy, and he would think it's awesome.

This is the right answer to the tiger cruise question. It's really not about you.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

hogmartin posted:

Not familiar with that - clarify?

Everyone on subs has a micropenis.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I used to let the non-smoking sailors who worked for me take breaks just as often as the smokers did. Some chiefs didn't like it but it was one of those cases where I just played the noble card.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Add to great privileges of being an officer: not having to fit in by dipping like an inbred hillbilly.

A lot officers in aviation, including yours truly, dips (I don't anymore). I'm not sure why that is. I started in high school being that I lived in an inbred hillbilly locale as a kid. I often went to the smoking sponson with a cigar when I was deployed so I could hear all the mess deck rumors.

edit: If anyone here bought that av for me, thanks. The old red letter was funny but was getting a little stale.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm kinda curious what sort of vessel has eighty dudes in a single berthing compartment and a master chief that doesn't know that number by heart. Carrier? If he hadn't said 'first-classes' I would've assumed it was a gator freighter and he was addressing Marines.

Told this before but we had a guy who raped all the vacuum cleaners. He wasn't even particularly sneaky about it, if he saw someone bring a new wet-dry vac down the hatch he'd loiter around waiting for the unboxing, laughing "fresh fish." It got to the point where people were hiding their personal bilge-sucker hoses just to keep them unsullied, and he took pride in letting you know when yours had been violated.

submariners.txt

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

As an aside, hooooooooly shiiiiiiit is the Command Qualification Exam loving retarded. Rote memorization ok 10k+ pages of random poo poo is just awful. It doesn't help that it's 99.9% useless admin gotcha's such as the ever important, "How many pounds of ice per person is a ship require to produce a day?" I can most definitely see how that would affect the outcome of a battle. lol we are a joke of a service.

The whole drat command qualification clown show they dreamedup has to got to be one of the most spectacularly retarded things big Navy has dreamed up for the officer side of the house. Luckily I was grandfathered in on the aviation side, although I'm never going to actually command anything.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

Given that this will be a second limited duty in my career, the command. :tinfoil:

I seriously doubt you are going to get med boarded out for an ACL. And it's been a while since I read the MILPERSMAN articles, but I don't think your command has any say in whether or not you go to a med board. But if you do, I wouldn't worry. I know plenty of guys with way worse things than a torn ACL who stay in.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

I was actually informed by the doctor that the command is responsible for requesting a medboard. Should be expected that nobody knows what the hell is going on...

Do yourself a favor and spend some time with the MILPERSMAN and find out for sure. Either way, the command doesn't make the final decision.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Cole posted:

Why are you on the cops side

Rude

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

Penciling Shipmate Cole into the watchbill for the barrel

Get with the times; it's Sea Warrior Cole.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Sir Lucius posted:

The fat test should just be "can you fit through a hatch without touching the sides." I'm not convinced any actual medical professionals were involved when the Navy decided someone wasn't considered fat because their neck is fat.

I heard somewhere (maybe the mess decks? ;) ) that the whole tape thing was based on some old actuarial tables used by health insurance companies. Of course we all know the major reason it is used is because its simple and quick to do.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Christoff posted:

I've personally never seen a genuinely fit and huge dude fail the BCA. One dude was doing HGH and probably 'roids and got huge but has a huge HGH gut. We laugh because he'll probably fail the BCA

I've never failed it but I'm always on the line. I work out 4-5 times a week, mostly lifting, with high intensity cardio mixed in. When I started lifting regularly is when the BF% (and the weight for that matter) became an issue for me. I had it checked the first time I was close and a 7 site caliper test showed me at 14% vice the 21% the tape had me at. That said I can't deny that most of the people that bitch are pretty physically gross people.

However I'd rather have some big strong dude there to pull me out of a burning aircraft or compartment instead of the rail thin skinny gently caress who can run the 1.5 mile in 8 minutes but can't lift a 45 lb plate. Aerobic endurance doesn't really have a lot of applicability to the typical Sailor's job or the sort of situations that would test their fitness.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Christoff posted:

I agree but would you rather do some combat fitness test like the Marine Corps in addition to the PFA? Haha. I know doing a 1.5 mile run, pushups, and situps, isn't really a good gauge for your overall fitness. But how could they revamp the fitness requirements program? I feel bad for a lot of sub/surface dudes who work long and hard hours. With the chow on ship it can be generally tough to stay thin/fit I'd imagine. That said we were a bit spoiled on the ship I was on with a well equipped (albeit always packed) gym and flight deck to run on if your heart so desired.

I'd rather do something like the CFT INSTEAD of the PRT, not in addition to it. They were looking at a whole bunch of changes to the PRT a few years ago and most of them I thought were pretty decent. And guys that don't have access to adequate fitness facilities should absolutely get a waiver. I'm all about practicality/pragmatism. I also have to say I actually think NOFFS is a pretty good step in the right direction, even if I'm not exactly impressed with it's implentation, or lack thereof.

ManMythLegend posted:

lol, I love listening to people bitch out BFA standards. I mean, I totally think the system is inaccurate and terrible, but very few of the people who cry about it are the extremely jacked dudes that it really screws with.

I think my favorite was the morbidly obese LT I went to Dhalgren and Department Head School with. I had to sit next to her in Dhalgren and watched her cram cookies, soda, and twinkies into her mouth every day in class. One of the other girls in the class literally caught her licking the crumbs of a Little Debbie of some fashion off the desk. Unsurprisingly she tanked the weigh-in we did the first week in Newport and then immediately started crying that the CFL who taped her pulled the tape too tight on her neck so she would fail. A fine leader in our Navy.

Edit: Seriously though. Ditch the PRT, it is stupid. Replace it with an "Endurance Practical" that consists of donning an FFE and SCBA, climbing down to the bottom of the live fire trainer with a hose team, and fight a simulated mainspace fire until you tap out. Your score is based on how long you last. It doesn't matter if you are a career shore sailor or not, get the gently caress in that hole.

As I said, I recognize the fact that most of the complainers are fat fucks with no excuse for their condition and that I'm in the minority of people that the standards get kind of screwy with. No arguments there. I think your FFE/SCBA idea is pretty awesome and I'm being completely serious. I don't know if I'd make it completely endurance based but I think it is a really good starting point for a Navy "combat fitness test."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Don't worry guys, I'm still above water. Not sure about Fart Sandwiches though, hopefully his anime powers kept him safe. :ohdear:

• Locked thread