Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Walking Dad posted:

Thriller and the 80s era of MJ loomed so large over the entire corpus of modern music and the tabloid frenzy of the 90s and 00s was so outrageous and consuming that it wasn't until this year that I actually sat down and revisited his post Bad catalog.

So good. It is amazing that with everything that was happening and all the attention and drama surrounding him that he managed to be so prolific beginning with History and ending with Invincible. I'm sure others would disagree but there really aren't any bad tracks. He is the only make pop artist that could ever express rage credibly. Songs like Morphine just get lost through the cracks, but to listen to it today it's absolutely haunting, and he took pop music in directions that others would never even dare to touch, and he pulls it off.

I think it's fun because I was born in 1986, so these songs have always been on the edge of my consciousness and I remember watching the debut of the "black or white" music video on tv like it was some sort of event. I guess post Berlin Wall and before the advent of the internet, MJ was the first piece of international culture. Artists like Lady Gaga and Katy Perry might have a high profile, but it's hard to imagine the world having another MJ.

I think it's also because he's one of the most talented loving people to ever make music. His voice is amazing, he can write a drat great song, and curate songs that fit him like a white sequin glove, he's the consummate performer, and it all comes together to form the man who made loving Thriller. Like, it's genuinely a depressing thought to know that I'll never get to hear him sing Billie Jean or Beat It live. Even the artists that I love the most making music right now, people like Lady Gaga, Kanye West, all of these very good pop musicians, none of them has quite the universal appeal that Michael Jackson does.

I think, were it not for the bumps in his personal life (which I don't necessarily blame people for not being able to look past, though I certainly don't feel that way), he'd easily be the most likable musician on the planet. I mean, I loving dare you to not like Billie Jean. You can't. It's even worse than hating the Beatles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread