Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I'm cautiously looking forward to this. Michael was pretty bad outside of two or three songs (Hold My Hand, Hollywood Tonight, Behind The Mask). I'm still really perplexed how much they hosed up with that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Cyra posted:

Thus far, I'd say most of the posthomous MJ stuff has been handled with a pretty palpable amount of reverence.

Has it though? I agree about Bad 25, that was a lot better than Thriller 25, simply because they didn't feel the need to fill it up with rerecordings with "current artists". But the Michael album, with all the talk about fake singers, was handled really, really badly.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Just saw on Popjustice that Chicago as leaked as well: https://www.facebook.com/mjbeats/posts/756904141021077?stream_ref=10

I'm not gonna pretend that this is a "classic" but it's good in a strong album track kind of way. I can't believe that this is shaping up to be so much better than Michael.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Neither version of A Place With No Name does anything for me. Mostly because the vocal melody seems so unremarkable. It doesn't help that both versions remind me of better songs (A Horse With No Name in case of the original demo and Michael's own Leave Me Alone in case of the new one). Still, it's not bad, I just prefer pretty much every other song that's "leaked" so far.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
So after listening to the album a couple of times I'd say the only new version that sucks is Blue Gangsta. The new drums and percussion don't sit well in the mix at all, and the arrangement sounds really messy. The horns that kinda make the original version just disappear in the mush. It's too bad, especially considering the new version of Slave To The Rhythm, which Timbaland worked on as well, is really awesome.

• Locked thread