Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Was it confirmed either way that some of those 'Michael' tracks were actually his voice or not? I heard something that Teddy Riley eventually said something that he regretted being involved with those particular tracks and that he didn't really know himself if they were Michael's real vocals or not.
Ugh, I guess everything involving MJ, even after his death, have to be involved in some huge drama/scandal type of thing.

I've been kinda discovering his music these last few weeks. Always enjoyed some of his more popular music but I never really dove deep into his catalogue. There's some really good stuff that is not as known, such as 'Morphine'. Much darker than one would expect from him usually, really powerful song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
It's up on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmMk3pAnAI4 You can find the Justin Timberlake version on the same channel as well.

I've never heard the demos but I really like the solo version. The production sounds kinda... weird in a way. Maybe a holdover from the demo where I understand the piano was on the same track as Michael's voice. But I love how disco and old-school it manages. If this is one of the weaker tracks, like many fans say, then it seems we would be in for a treat.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGlwTv90jdo 'A place with no name'

Visited one MJ forum and many didn't like this version of the song (many prefer the leaked demo). I haven't heard the demo yet but I think this is easily the best track released so far. Fantastic performance from MJ, great beat and a great build to it all. The riff playing throughout is really reminscant of 'Leave me alon'. Guess that will bother many.

But yeah, thought this track is really fantastic.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
They seem to have pretty different feels to them, but yeah... I can't understand the hate for the new version to be honest. I love it, think it's a lot better than the other songs released so far (and I still like them). I guess I understand if one heard the demo first since the feel is really different, not so "club-ish."

Still, it's nice that the Deluxe version offers the original recordings also.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
'Slave to the rythm' http://www.godermag.com/2014/05/michael-jackson-slave-to-the-rhythm-via-godermag-goder/

This is the first Timbaland produced track where I actually think the music is great. Really enjoyed this one. Looking to be a solid album overall.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Blue Gangsta is my least favorite of the bunch so far. Feels way too Timbaland hip-hopey for my taste... Will be fun to hear the original stuff.

Definitely agree though that (even without hearing the original stuff) that it does feel a lot like remixes and not really something Michael might release. Still, I think it's been pretty high quality overall and I don't think it feels tasteless or anything. Them releasing the originals is a classy move.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
As much as some of the production can annoy me in places, I must say that I'm really happy about MJs vocals. They're up-front, easy to hear... And the performances are *great*.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

DominoDancing posted:

So after listening to the album a couple of times I'd say the only new version that sucks is Blue Gangsta. The new drums and percussion don't sit well in the mix at all, and the arrangement sounds really messy. The horns that kinda make the original version just disappear in the mush. It's too bad, especially considering the new version of Slave To The Rhythm, which Timbaland worked on as well, is really awesome.

Agreed. I'm not a *huge* fan of the original of Blue Gangsta either, but at least there is a feeling of MJ wanting to do something special for it... Wanting to create something kinda evocative with the different instruments. I'm a fan of the accordion and piano in particular.

In comparison, the new version just feels... busy. They removed the interesting bits that made the track special and there is nothing in particular to replace them.

Really enjoy the album all in all though despite some things I don't like in the production. The songwriting is really strong overall. Great track selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I think Michael probably *would* approve of this but aah... I dunno. I just find it so drat creepy somehow, and the face has a long ways to go before looking even remotely right. I also don't think the performance itself was anything particularly special aside from "omg, it's a hologram!"

I guess I'm old and grumpy or something. On another note, it's pretty drat cool to see so much interest generated for MJ even now, and most of it is really positive. I bet he would love that.

• Locked thread