Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Generation Internet posted:

I just started a .25 career that I spent more time downloading mods for than playing :smithicide:

Look like it's last stable build for me for a while!

Dude, get CKAN right now. You'll wonder how you lived without it (I know I do).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
So I've got CKAN but a lot of mods that I use aren't on the list. Have they not updated yet or is there not a lot of adoption? I miss Distant Object and BetterAtmospheres :(

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
Is anybody having trouble with the orbit map going completely blank? It only shows celestial bodies for me when I'm in flight.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Great Enoch posted:

Is anybody having trouble with the orbit map going completely blank? It only shows celestial bodies for me when I'm in flight.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I don't think I destroyed anything, but now I cannot even see my craft on the map view. Just the occasional spent stage's trajectory

e: nevermind; I guess I had to go to the tracking station to turn on my vessels category, and I see no option to do that from in-flight??????

ee: The in-flight map mode sorting/filtering toggle auto-tucks into the top middle of the screen

Don't want to spend funds on EVA capability? Just use a dude you can rescue.

e: vvv--- No need to upgrade the tracking station. You can see the orbits/trajectories of other objects and your craft, just not nodes, intercepts, or close approaches (if I recall correctly). You can target vessels that are near by only.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 16, 2014

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Have you upgraded the tracking station?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

That's my one problem so far even on normal, it makes me think I'm going to HAVE to do testing contracts to progress and I'm really really :geno: about those

I'm the same. I almost played on hard, I'm glad I didn't because even on normal its fairly hard to make a buck. I prefer my exploration rather than inching forward with limited contracts. What I might do is play on hard, and give myself "budgets"; lump sums of cash with which I can do bigger missions. I do like having to earn my way, but pinching pennies isn't what I have this game for.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 16, 2014

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

So I've got CKAN but a lot of mods that I use aren't on the list. Have they not updated yet or is there not a lot of adoption? I miss Distant Object and BetterAtmospheres :(

Mods are still being updated for 0.90. Hit Refresh on the GUI (if you're using that version), and you'll see new mods added through the day.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I was wondering if I could survive the new Hard Mode. It looked hairy at first, but I think it is doable.

Some tips for all modes contracts:
-Part Testing doesn't look all that lucrative (unless you need to borrow a part you don't have unlocked).
-Once you make orbit in a craft that you can recover expensive bits on the upper stage, those survey contracts can be good, just be sure to read the fine print.
-Rejecting contracts can refresh/load new ones.

Fake Edit: Success!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You do not need to have a part researchered to test it out? That would've been helpful to know.

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.
loving hell, it's a lot more difficult to earn money now. And with the high cost to upgrade structures.....

I guess what I'm saying is that this game is hard again! Even on normal!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You do not need to have a part researchered to test it out? That would've been helpful to know.

Part testing contracts will sometimes appear for parts you don't have researched yet; you'll have access to those parts (hilighted in blue) for the duration of the contract. It's a nice way to get early access to parts you don't have the science to research yet.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

ToxicFrog posted:

Part testing contracts will sometimes appear for parts you don't have researched yet; you'll have access to those parts (hilighted in blue) for the duration of the contract. It's a nice way to get early access to parts you don't have the science to research yet.

The challenge then becomes to NOT complete the contract so you can keep the part longer.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
Catching up:

Bhodi posted:

Do nosecones do anything yet?

Squad said nosecones act like an SAS that only works for holding your craft prograde. Or something. They seem to do something.

JohnSherman posted:

I really don't see how you can argue that the game needs to remain easy for new players, then unironically suggest implementing FAR.

Problems that FAR exposes are generally true to life- such as the transition to supersonic being tricky, or that you generally shouldn't leave engines cranked to max in atmosphere. It's also in my list of "things that would be nice but aren't necessary for feature complete". I want a better aero model about as much as I want to see delta-v and TWR. And if you're the sort of person who implements delta-v, you really should be running FAR or NEAR as well. Unless you're running Engineer but not realism mods?

Kinger posted:

loving hell, it's a lot more difficult to earn money now. And with the high cost to upgrade structures.....

I guess what I'm saying is that this game is hard again! Even on normal!

I think the game was still hard for lots of people, as evidenced by people coming into the thread and saying they were completely stuck on one point or another. It's just that we have a community with years of experience who can give you tips like "burn at Munrise" or Scott Manley videos to make things easier.

But the new stuff is very challenging and very game-y, as if that were opposed to sandbox-y. I'm still a little concerned as to whether enhanced contracts is doing the best job of filling the space, it seems like grinding part contracts might become really necessary when I'd like to see KSP offer some more freeform ways of building resources. But it's good, it's very close to what I want to see from the game, and if I feel like a wuss I can fix the difficulty. I like it overall.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Overwined posted:

The challenge then becomes to NOT complete the contract so you can keep the part longer.

"Yep...still testing. Oh, you wanted me to test in Kerbin's atmosphere...I thought Duna or Eve were better suited for that part :jeb: "

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
At least on normal, going for broke on science seems to make things very easy. The cash > science strategy helps.

I maxed out r&d lvl 1 in 4 flights. That gives you access to enough tech to easily orbit Kerbal and start Mun contracts. Upgrading the launch pad is almost necessary for orbit, but even with a science strategy I've still got something like 70k cash after only those initial 4 launches. Parts prices aren't a factor at that point. Certainly not enough to have to grind parts testing contracts, anyway.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, Hard mode has increased costs and reduced rewards, so cash > science for hard.

Part testing CAN be a decent income stream. If said part is being tested in orbit, anyway--my atmospheric tests are three to four figures, but orbital ones are 25K+.

I can't stress enough how much the rep->funds policy helps. Is there any other benefit to rep aside from indirect liquidation into science and funds?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

OAquinas posted:

I can't stress enough how much the rep->funds policy helps. Is there any other benefit to rep aside from indirect liquidation into science and funds?

I think I heard somewhere its supposed to give you access to better contracts, but I really haven't seen that happen.

I'm doing rep->funds and funds->sci and am kinda regretting it because I use a custom difficulty that's kinda a step between normal and hard, it's basically normal except no respawns, no auto-hire, and having to pay to unlock new parts.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 16, 2014

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

So I'm about to see which of my mods need updating for 0.90 :ohdear:

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

OAquinas posted:

I can't stress enough how much the rep->funds policy helps.

That's at 25% commitment. It's as useful as it looks. :v:

OAquinas posted:

Is there any other benefit to rep aside from indirect liquidation into science and funds?
If you don't have a set amount of reputation, you'll never get these types of "Explore Planetary Body" contracts. Makes starting a negative reputation game the most tedious thing imaginable. Even more tedious than grinding for money until unlocking patched conics, which is pretty drat tedious.

Also, you have plenty of dV to make a fly-by of the Mun without upgrading the launch pad, but not being able to plot the trajectory kills that idea, so you're stuck grinding.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
You don't need no stinking patched conics to get to the Mun. Just burn at Mun rise until your Ap matches the Muns orbit. Just like old times.

Try a Mun landing without landing legs and no rocket motor other than RCS. Kids today have no idea how good they have it.

2Jets fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 16, 2014

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.

revdrkevind posted:

I think the game was still hard for lots of people, as evidenced by people coming into the thread and saying they were completely stuck on one point or another. It's just that we have a community with years of experience who can give you tips like "burn at Munrise" or Scott Manley videos to make things easier.

That's true. I guess part of it is that I've been playing since 0.19 or so, which means I got used to grinding out a bunch of funds/science early on with only a few nodes unlocked. Now I'm suddenly realizing that I can't do that - a significant amount of my early funding has to go into upgrading buildings - the starting VAB and launchpad are a huge priority, as are mission control (so you can have more than two active contracts) and the tracking station (maneuver nodes!)

Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining. I'm really enjoying the challenge, and it's definitely more like what I was hoping to see from career mode.

It's just an adjustment, that's all.

Kinger fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 16, 2014

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

2Jets posted:

You don't need no stinking patched conics to get to the Mun. Just burn at Mun rise until your Ap matches the Muns orbit. Just like old times.

Did that. First attempt was aiming straight through it though and after the correction maneuver I lacked 100 or so dV to bring it back to Kerbin, so Jeb's taking a vacation in space until I can plot an intercept, eventually.

My less dumb ship has 1500 dV after orbit though, so it should work much better now.
EDIT: Yup, made it back with 540 dV to spare.

2Jets posted:

Try a Mun landing without landing legs and no rocket motor other than RCS. Kids today have no idea how good they have it.
Doesn't really sound too hard. Wasn't RCS crazy powerful before they nerfed it?

sckye fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 16, 2014

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

revdrkevind posted:

Squad said nosecones act like an SAS that only works for holding your craft prograde. Or something. They seem to do something.

Last I checked they abused the awkward aerodynamic model to make it prefer to point in that direction by adding drag, but only a tiny bit of drag, because it tries to put the low-drag side at the front. If you can maintain stability otherwise you're better off not using them - and there are often better tools available for improving stability.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

sckye posted:

Doesn't really sound too hard. Wasn't RCS crazy powerful before they nerfed it?

For a while it had a really entertaining bug where the closer it was to the CoM, the more powerful it was, so a ship consisting of a command pod, RCS tank, and eight linear RCS ports placed as close to CoM as possible could go launchpad -> Mun in about a minute.

revdrkevind posted:

Problems that FAR exposes are generally true to life- such as the transition to supersonic being tricky, or that you generally shouldn't leave engines cranked to max in atmosphere. It's also in my list of "things that would be nice but aren't necessary for feature complete". I want a better aero model about as much as I want to see delta-v and TWR. And if you're the sort of person who implements delta-v, you really should be running FAR or NEAR as well. Unless you're running Engineer but not realism mods?

:what:

Didn't we just spend five pages discussing this? dV and TWR are hugely important whether you're using realism mods or not, and a lot of people install KER or MechJeb specifically for the dV display who have no interest in FAR/RSS/RealFuels/etc.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

ToxicFrog posted:

For a while it had a really entertaining bug where the closer it was to the CoM, the more powerful it was, so a ship consisting of a command pod, RCS tank, and eight linear RCS ports placed as close to CoM as possible could go launchpad -> Mun in about a minute.

This was a good bug and I'm pissed off they removed it entirely instead of doing something sensible like just limiting the thrust to not insane values. Now we don't have autobalancing RCS which made manoeuvring so much easier. RCS use is just so much more tedious now and design is a pain in the butt.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I just put a probe on the Mun. I had to take half my rocket apart to get the part count under 30. Silly stuff like only using 1 solar panel and battery.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Shanakin posted:

This was a good bug and I'm pissed off they removed it entirely instead of doing something sensible like just limiting the thrust to not insane values. Now we don't have autobalancing RCS which made manoeuvring so much easier. RCS use is just so much more tedious now and design is a pain in the butt.

There is a limited amount of RCS auto balancing in fine control mode (caps lock). It won't fix gross imbalances, but it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Time for a new thread with the big new release.

New Thread Here

• Locked thread