Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Collateral Damage posted:

I just had a weird bug with the radial parachutes where they didn't become part of the staging stack and I couldn't manually deploy them either. Of course I didn't notice this until I was already on a re-entry trajectory towards Kerbin. RIP Jebediah. :(

RemoteTech chat: I recall someone talking earlier about an easy way of setting up a comm network around Kerbin that didn't rely on perfect geostationary orbits and was more forgiving of imperfect orbits, but I can't find the post now.. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Highly elliptical (read: high apoapsis, low periapsis) orbits, arranged so their orbits look like a flower when viewed overhead. The high elliptical orbit means that they'll spend most of their time on the apoapsis side of things, and if you have 5+ satellites they'll naturally overlap things--and you don't even have to worry about syncing their orbits up.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
This is the post I made about Molniya-like orbits for RemoteTech or AntennaRange comms sats.

There are better ways to do guaranteed coverage, but that's the best option for someone who never wants to fiddle with station-keeping their sats. Of course I kinda feel that the entire purpose of remotetech is to have a ton of things you have to fiddle with just to fly a ship, and I already get that by messing with mods and rebalance concepts. AntennaRange is a much better alternative if you want your Kuriosity rover to need a Duna Orbiter to relay science back home, but not deal with RT's considerable anti-fun downsides.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ship did not collapse or shiver its timbers, probably by grace of KAS struts that othertimes cause ships to explode.

Morale is good!

What's this? Oh. Sorry, 'bro.
Forgotten, but not forgotten.

This pod is feature rich. Displays can show cameraview, navball, and a variety of stats--if only I used them.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
For some reason no asteroid wants to even come near Kerbin for me. Bollocks.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Loomer posted:

For some reason no asteroid wants to even come near Kerbin for me. Bollocks.

Me too. Also while I was waiting for a Dres intercept of which I got bored and gave up waiting, I started watching the asteroids. Not sure if it's a feature of warp, but countless asteroids were despawning as they got close to the Kerbin SOI. Can they actually make it in there?

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

If you dont set the Tracking Station to track the asteroid they will despawn eventually when "signal" is lost to them.

In the tracking station just choose a bunch of them and hit the blue track button in the bottom left, then they will stay active and you will be able to see their trajectory.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

This is the post I made about Molniya-like orbits for RemoteTech or AntennaRange comms sats.
That's the one I was thinking of, thanks.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Wow, Kerbin's orbit has become a shooting gallery:

It's been fun to check each orbit as they appear - "ok... Kerbin encounter, and no periapsis - gently caress."

My rule so far has been to ignore anything below a type-C that's not on an impacting orbit; if it's a C or above it gets renamed in the tracking center to '#{ASTEROID} - TORINO' so I can easily identify the rocks of concern later on - I didn't realize there'd be so many initially.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
While you've been playing with asteroids, I used lights to finally enact a real solution to the problem of ladder alignment on docking. I call it Project Disco Dock, because apparently I like puns based on novelty songs.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Duna <Enter stage right>

<A voice from The Cosmos interjects>

Ablative posted:

That's stage left.

Duna Excursion Vehicle 2 <overshoot face, powered decent in shame>

Better showcase of pods all glass cockpit.

Disappointed in the lack of biomes.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 3, 2014

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I stopped playing this for a while and just restarted a new career mode. I have to say, everything is better. The last update was amazing. Like every thing is better. It looks nicer, it loads faster, it plays smoother. I'm totally excited about this game again.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Maxmaps, please ask the team to include an option to break symmetry on objects placed in symmetry mode.
I want my lamps to nicely aligned, but I want to change their colors individually.

Notmypants
Jan 3, 2014

Pants pants moose pants.

General Battuta posted:

I totally get where you're coming from, I didn't mean to imply there was no oppression- just the opposite. I'm just pushing back against the narrative that says it's not realistic to have women or POC in historical fiction or fantasy, or any environment where oppression was a real powerful force - not realistic because, the argument goes, they were so oppressed they couldn't do anything; that's just How It Was, stop asking for more active women in your elf books, stop asking for black people in your rocket stories, they couldn't possibly have been there.

Which is bullshit, of course; people fought back against oppression in all kinds of ways, whether by winning their way into NASA or by working in politics or just by living their lives and surviving. 'There couldn't be a black woman involved in high-level work on the Apollo Program because black women weren't allowed' is absolutely an argument I'd expect to hear from the same people who say 'it's unrealistic to have women in fantasy video games because they were all housewives and prostitutes'.

I'm not trying to argue that sexism and racism were not immensely powerful and awful, and I'm not trying to imply that people who 'only' lived ordinary lives were somehow failures. I just think Katherine Johnson is another example of oppressed people reaching out to claim agency and defy the social order however and wherever they could. People who say that a whitewashed male past is 'realistic' don't know about this stuff, because we as a culture have been unnervingly effective at erasing these stories.

It's not about oppression not being real, or about condemning oppressed people for not seizing their own bootstraps (that's obviously bullshit). It's about breaking the narrative of who worked on these projects and who didn't.

Does that make sense?

Yep, thanks for the clrification!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Geemer posted:

Maxmaps, please ask the team to include an option to break symmetry on objects placed in symmetry mode.
I want my lamps to nicely aligned, but I want to change their colors individually.

If that is difficult to code, maybe a vertical snap-to that could toggle between off, on, fine?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Duna <Enter stage right>

Duna Excursion Vehicle 2 <overshoot face, powered decent in shame>

Better showcase of pods all glass cockpit.

Disappointed in the lack of biomes.

That's stage left.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Geemer posted:

I actually placed them in symmetry mode and then opened it in a text editor to change the colors. It works fine as long as you don't right click them in the VAB.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

If that is difficult to code, maybe a vertical snap-to that could toggle between off, on, fine?

God, I've wanted vertical snap-to since forever.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Just put down some linear rcs ports with symmetry and use those as a guide, it's pretty dang precise.

Spanish Matlock posted:

It looks nicer, it loads faster, it plays smoother.
Not seeing much loading improvement from .23 here, but there are some major performance gains when looking at terrain or especially water.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If they're going to work on symmetry they should fix how it gets so confused by parts rotated around a non-vertical axis.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

God, I've wanted vertical snap-to since forever.

Editor extensions.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Geirskogul posted:

Editor extensions.

This, while wonderful, still has one notable limit. You can only snap to the vertical center-point on an object. That's still quite useful, but I'd prefer fractions of the whole length as snap points (like halves, quarters, eighths, and so on) that can be adjusted similarly to the degrees of separation on symmetrical placement. If that makes any sense?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It makes perfect sense and I've wanted the same thing for a while now. Eyeballing vertical placement sucks rear end.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Also V-Snap for objects. IE If placing a fin it would snap to snap to the same vpoint as a previously placed one if you bring it close.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwxEHwQM8j0

What the heck was this? My lander exploded shortly after. I'd just been to Minmus and back so it shouldn't be a kraken.

Also, I made a thing a while back but never finished it due to :effort: but might as well post these:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

zxqv8 posted:

This, while wonderful, still has one notable limit. You can only snap to the vertical center-point on an object. That's still quite useful, but I'd prefer fractions of the whole length as snap points (like halves, quarters, eighths, and so on) that can be adjusted similarly to the degrees of separation on symmetrical placement. If that makes any sense?

The author of editor extensions showed up again a couple of days ago and he said he intends working on it again. Put your suggestions in his forum thread and who knows, they may come true.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Manoeuvre nodes persist through EVAs now. :neckbeard:

e: Unless that's from Kerbal Alarm Clock's new update.

Nope, apparently it's stock because PreciseNode dropped the part which let you save maneuver nodes as the author stated 'it is now part of the game'.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
That's like some lovechild of "The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones"

On the upside, you can land a castle on an asteroid and fulfill Jeb's desire to be the Little Prince.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are we always going to see updates go by the .23-.24 or will we see bigger jumps in the version number? It seems that we get real cool stuff in every .0X update, which is cool, but are we going to see great updates 76 more times?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
When it is feature complete, won't it go to version 1?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Acquire Currency! posted:

Are we always going to see updates go by the .23-.24 or will we see bigger jumps in the version number? It seems that we get real cool stuff in every .0X update, which is cool, but are we going to see great updates 76 more times?

That's not how version numbers usually work. It's not a decimal number, or some kind of proportion of completeness. It's a major version number (0 in this case) and a minor version number, formatted with a period in between. The minor version number will probably just keep getting incremented by one (even into three digits if needed, but probably not), until they decide the game is "complete", and release major version 1. That could come after any minor version number.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Metrication posted:

When it is feature complete, won't it go to version 1?

True! I'm just curious what the milestones are before the devs call it feature complete. In all honesty it doesn't seem like too much essential is missing.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

True! I'm just curious what the milestones are before the devs call it feature complete. In all honesty it doesn't seem like too much essential is missing.

I think once contracts and reputation are in, the game can reasonably be called feature complete, as at that point, it can actually be a game, instead of the sandbox toy it mostly is now (even in "Career" mode). But they'll still have a huge balancing task ahead of them before it'll be a good game, and suitable for a v1.0 release.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Re: vertical snap-to, I recall that ages and ages ago, back when symmetry was a new thing, you could text-edit one of the config files to enable vertical snap, which, as mentioned, would only let you snap things to the exact middle of a part.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

eth0.n posted:

I think once contracts and reputation are in, the game can reasonably be called feature complete, as at that point, it can actually be a game, instead of the sandbox toy it mostly is now (even in "Career" mode). But they'll still have a huge balancing task ahead of them before it'll be a good game, and suitable for a v1.0 release.

There's still a ton they could add to that to make it feel more like a campaign. And other things to do, like resource extraction, base building, autopilot (Crew training), a deeper science and biome system, reasons to use rovers or planes... And of course more content, lots of planets, maybe even other solar systems? Not to mention a lot of engine improvements and multiplayer.

There's so many possibilities. Mods help, but honestly I wouldn't mind paying for a DLC/expansion pack or two, as long as they keep developing it :v:

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Elman posted:

There's still a ton they could add to that to make it feel more like a campaign. And other things to do, like resource extraction, base building, autopilot (Crew training), a deeper science and biome system, reasons to use rovers or planes... And of course more content, lots of planets, maybe even other solar systems? Not to mention a lot of engine improvements and multiplayer.

There's so many possibilities. Mods help, but honestly I wouldn't mind paying for a DLC/expansion pack or two, as long as they keep developing it :v:

Pretty sure biomes for additional planets are on the list! Something that would make rovers actually useful might be nice.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
I've not delved into KSP modelling, but would snap-to-vertices be even halfway plausible as an editor option?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Platonicsolid posted:

Pretty sure biomes for additional planets are on the list! Something that would make rovers actually useful might be nice.

Once base building is a thing rovers should see some use, both for Kerbal transport to mining / whatever sites and transport of resources to a central location where they can be blasted off planet back to Kerbin to feed the march of the space program juggernaut. Could be a good use for jets too if you can establish mining sites around kerbin, easier to ferry ore around in a plane than a rocket. Would also be a practical use of autopilot that isn't too cheaty, send Jeb off in a plane for a resource pickup and check in later after he lands / crashes horrifically.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Spaceman Future! posted:

Once base building is a thing rovers should see some use, both for Kerbal transport to mining / whatever sites and transport of resources to a central location where they can be blasted off planet back to Kerbin to feed the march of the space program juggernaut. Could be a good use for jets too if you can establish mining sites around kerbin, easier to ferry ore around in a plane than a rocket. Would also be a practical use of autopilot that isn't too cheaty, send Jeb off in a plane for a resource pickup and check in later after he lands / crashes horrifically.

Interesting idea. You could choose to carry out your missions yourself, or send some Kerbals to do it for you with a percent chance (say 20% or so) to crash and you having to go fix their ship/rescue them. A possible use for the "stupidity" stat, haha.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Green Calx posted:

Interesting idea. You could choose to carry out your missions yourself, or send some Kerbals to do it for you with a percent chance (say 20% or so) to crash and you having to go fix their ship/rescue them. A possible use for the "stupidity" stat, haha.

Actually Maxmaps said that was exactly the plan in the last thread

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

The Green Calx posted:

Actually Maxmaps said that was exactly the plan in the last thread

Wait, really? This is clever and sounds excitingly fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I just showed a coworker the promo video and noticed guy left hanging with no high five. Poor guy, at least his rover claw worked right.

• Locked thread