Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Would it be too much to ask for any of you guys to go up to about 600 000 meters and start time warping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Collateral Damage posted:

It's like a SpaceX launch. At T-15 we found an issue with a small but significant component, launch scrubbed until next month. :v:

But Squad has their own private facilities, and don't need to yield to others' reservations.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Everyone should take a break for mashing f5 for a few moments to think about all the brave souls 45 years ago and what must have been going through their minds. Just under 30 to launch, soon to be in space, hell, soon to be on their way to the frikkin' moon!

It was well before my time, but I've spent hours, maybe even days at this point, reading the reports, listening to the logs and watching the videos. Amazing stuff. How we ever managed it is incredible.

They should totally have it set up in 5 years to do a livestream of the original launch, set to the same time as the original as if it's being broadcast with a 50 year delay. Be interesting to see how many people tuned in.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Captain Hair posted:

Everyone should take a break for mashing f5 for a few moments to think about all the brave souls 45 years ago and what must have been going through their minds. Just under 30 to launch, soon to be in space, hell, soon to be on their way to the frikkin' moon!

It was well before my time, but I've spent hours, maybe even days at this point, reading the reports, listening to the logs and watching the videos. Amazing stuff. How we ever managed it is incredible.

They should totally have it set up in 5 years to do a livestream of the original launch, set to the same time as the original as if it's being broadcast with a 50 year delay. Be interesting to see how many people tuned in.

One of my favorite space related projects was ApolloPlus40 on Twitter five years ago. They tweeted major steps in realtime for the whole mission duration.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Captain Hair posted:

Taking the opportunity to remind people this site exists and is awesome: http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Btw, do we still have that multiplayer streaming tool thing going (I can't really recall the name. KLF? Kerbal Live Feed)? It will probably need an update for 0.24, but that was good stuff.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Captain Hair posted:

Everyone should take a break for mashing f5.

Spoilers: Unity engine has bugs in x64 that Squad won't be able to do much about, and this is going to make a lot of people very butthurt. Most butthurt will be the people who will claim they spent days f5'ing because SQUAD PROMISED, who will claim this is all somehow a conspiracy to punish fans for making demands. Contracts are going to get especially stupid and buggy for people who run campaigns like Mr. Manley (just think of trying to design contracts for someone who has active probes around half the bodies in the system), and Funds will have imbalances and glitches. This will cause a great storm of Sperglords who will bemoan how Squad have lost their way.

Meanwhile I may upgrade to .24 one or more days late, I'll probably just manage to hobble a craft up to Mun after a couple of hours of silly little contracts and dumb rocket designs on Kerbin, and it will be amazing.

Also Robbaz put up a new video in preparation for .24:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkx49kolc48
(skip to 1:00 for related)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Fishstick posted:

Taking the opportunity to remind people this site exists and is awesome: http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/

Taking the same opportunity to give this reading tip.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Edit - Since we're all about the green men in space, I highly recommend "For All Mankind", a documentary about the Apollo program cut mainly with footage that was shot in space by the Apollo astronauts (with some other footage from ground control and probably Gemini). It's edited to look like a single trip. Worth if you're waiting to update, I think it's on Hulu.

revdrkevind posted:

This will cause a great storm of Sperglords who will bemoan how Squad have lost their way.

:livintrope:

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 16, 2014

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
"For All Mankind" is really fantastic. "From the Earth to the Moon" is also pretty awesome if you can get over the slight dramatization and Tom Hanks. It's basically Band of Brothers for space. Definitely runs out of steam before the end, though. KINDA LIKE OUR SPACE PROGRAMS AM I RITE?

Do not watch When We Left Earth. It is bad and then you will feel depressed because we stopped.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also watch The Right Stuff if you haven't already.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or watch "Moon."

It's totally not fiction guys, really!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Although keep in mind that the events surrounding the blown hatch are not very accurately represented in The Right Stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Who cares, it has the scene about the window which is one of the best scenes in the history of movies. :colbert:

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
No new experimental builds have been uploaded to Steam so far today, so never know they might have fixed it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or possibly it's ten o clock in the morning in Mexico and they haven't been at work very long.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

OwlFancier posted:

Or possibly it's ten o clock in the morning in Mexico and they haven't been at work very long.

I doubt Harvester got much sleep anyway.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Party pooper!

The experientials seem to start getting posted about now, I was just giving this thread a little bit of hope in an empty vacuum and you destroyed it.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

The last experimental build was uploaded at 8:30 PM in Mexico City if my math is right. Mexico does observe DST, so Squad's current time zone is GMT - 5.

Max wasn't kidding. They were working real late last night, and that's assuming that they didn't upload that build and just say "screw it. We test this tomorrow. I'm going to bed" all at once.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Yo Maxmaps, Kyle (from the awesome KW Rocketry mod) asked me if I could ask you about how he could get access to .24's part prices. He has a delicious new version done, but he wants the prices so the parts are balanced right and the mod is released as soon as .24 is out of the gate.

Any chance you can help?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Anyone know if B9 Aerospace is planned to be updated for 0.24? I'm still using the 0.22 version with no issues but I doubt it'll work so well on 0.24.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Inacio posted:

Yo Maxmaps, Kyle (from the awesome KW Rocketry mod) asked me if I could ask you about how he could get access to .24's part prices. He has a delicious new version done, but he wants the prices so the parts are balanced right and the mod is released as soon as .24 is out of the gate.

Any chance you can help?

More evidence that KW rocketry should be in the stock game:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Inacio posted:

Any chance you can help?

Sure, let me look into it!

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
I'd also be interested in that price list, so I can set prices for Station Science.

Drone_Fragger posted:

More evidence that KW rocketry should be in the stock game:

Maybe some of the parts. But a lot of them are largely redundant. Mostly felt like bloat in my parts list when I tried it out.

Fairings in particular don't belong in the stock game unless the aerodynamics model gets overhauled such that they are useful. Purely cosmetic stuff belongs in mods.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

KWR adds some great parts- particularly the engines. Most of the fuel tanks are redundant because they're nearly identical to stock tanks though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The KW ones are prettier though.

Also KW has the Soyuz-style boosters which are awesome.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Collateral Damage posted:

The KW ones are prettier though.

Yeah, but they also have weird amounts of fuel. I get that if they had the same amount of fuel as the stock containers, they'd be totally useless rather than just partially useless, but still...

I will probably use KW for 0.24 after trying it stock, because the engines were always slightly better than their stock counterparts (again to make them not duplicates) but now they can be balanced by making them more expensive, too! Yay!

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Luneshot posted:

KWR adds some great parts- particularly the engines. Most of the fuel tanks are redundant because they're nearly identical to stock tanks though.
I disagree entirely. They hold different amounts of fuel, often in between two sizes of stock parts. Sometimes—especially now that cost is a factor—one fuel tank doesn't hold enough, but the next biggest is really more than you need.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Too bad Stretchy Tanks got abandoned.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Anyone know if B9 Aerospace is planned to be updated for 0.24? I'm still using the 0.22 version with no issues but I doubt it'll work so well on 0.24.

I seem to recall someone in this thread (was that Maxmaps?) who said the guy did have a .24 release planned.

CTRL-F'd B9 on his posts and couldn't find it. Oh well.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

The unofficial repack of B9 will likely update for 0.24 eventually.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

eth0.n posted:

Maybe some of the parts. But a lot of them are largely redundant. Mostly felt like bloat in my parts list when I tried it out.

Fairings in particular don't belong in the stock game unless the aerodynamics model gets overhauled such that they are useful. Purely cosmetic stuff belongs in mods.

You do use Part Catalog, right? I mean, mate, if you use mods it's kind of a must-have.

I really like KW's parts. It's infinitely better than stuff like NovaPunch (which I very strongly dislike in almost every conceivable way) and has a lot of interesting parts. They're also, in my opinion, better balanced than some newer Squad stuff (cough NASA parts).
Regarding fairings, I personally don't install them, I prefer Procedural Fairings. Kyle really likes them for some reason, so he keeps them in.

Maxmaps posted:

Sure, let me look into it!

You're the best!

marumaru fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 16, 2014

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

fairings are awesome because even if you don't have FAR installed they look cool as gently caress

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Megadyptes posted:

fairings are awesome because even if you don't have FAR installed they look cool as gently caress

I would only not play with FAR if I was trying to put up masterpieces into space like that horse shaped rocket(?).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I really think there should be a Kerbal mod for XCom. 'Why are they all crash-landing in our cities?! Commander, you know what to do.'

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Met posted:

I would only not play with FAR if I was trying to put up masterpieces into space like that horse shaped rocket(?).

For those who missed it the first time around: http://imgur.com/a/HFOym

One of the goons around here made it, I don't remember who it was offhand.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Is FAR really that good right now? Last time I tried it it wasn't realistic behavior, more like unpredictable behavior.

Stuff like jets flipping the gently caress out in level flight, extremely basic rockets (with fairings and control surfaces!) throwing tantrums and so on.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hremsfeld posted:

For those who missed it the first time around: http://imgur.com/a/HFOym

One of the goons around here made it, I don't remember who it was offhand.

That was me. Hopefully my new computer will be done tonight so I don't have to play in 720p low graphics!

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Inacio posted:

I really like KW's parts. It's infinitely better than stuff like NovaPunch (which I very strongly dislike in almost every conceivable way) and has a lot of interesting parts. They're also, in my opinion, better balanced than some newer Squad stuff (cough NASA parts).
Regarding fairings, I personally don't install them, I prefer Procedural Fairings. Kyle really likes them for some reason, so he keeps them in.
I like some NovaPunch things, but I generally heavily prune it and only install the things that I actually want (like with most mods actually, but NP gets heavier pruning than most). I think it normally ends up being pretty much just fuel tanks and engines, and not even all of them. The texture quality definitely need some work, though.

e:

Inacio posted:

Is FAR really that good right now? Last time I tried it it wasn't realistic behavior, more like unpredictable behavior.

Stuff like jets flipping the gently caress out in level flight, extremely basic rockets (with fairings and control surfaces!) throwing tantrums and so on.
If your rockets are flipping out in level flight with FAR, they probably have some design problems, or you're going too fast for your altitude. Also try decreasing the control authority on the control surfaces a bit, MechJeb and even basic SAS tends to overcompensate, leading to oscillations that can throw everything off.

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Something I've been meaning to ask but forgotten, how is joystick support these days? I dug out my old Logitech Force 3D (the one with ffb) and was wondering how viable it would be for me to use?

All I remember is the xbox pad having an issue since its throttle was separate triggers.

I'd love to give it a go, the hat dpad thing on the top would be great for RCS control plus I stripped out down a while back and re oil/greased it, then sprayed the base in a sweet metallic deep purple... I've not really used it since then and I'd be cool to use it for KSP :)

• Locked thread