Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Great thread, Whomp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Klyith posted:

I gotta say I'm a bit less than 100% enthused at some of the balance issues (ion engine is crazy, nasa parts not as much to my liking) but that's just my own opinion. And the thing that matters much more is the asteroid code which is amazing. I can take out parts or mod some balance changes to my liking.

Yeah, we're starting to balance things around where they're placed in the Tech Tree so some parts will be flat out better than others at doing the same job, because people will have to work for a while to get them. We understand that it's not ideal for the sandbox only players, but we've left our system open to modding so people can tweak KSP into a better game for themselves.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Dareon posted:

Yeah, this is basically my reaction. I hope it still runs on my dinky-rear end old system, it was starting to chug around the time the new space center was debuted. Now there's apparently all these science things that can happen?

We tweaked a -lot- of stuff under the hood, so you may be looking at a performance boost!

Ciaphas posted:

The first thing I wondered on watching this is "is that pulley system in stock now". Does that make me weird? :shobon:

Give us an update or two, will ya?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
We had a lot of fun with those monitors. One of them is supposed to be browsing GBS at work but it ended up too much of a blurry mess to be recognizable :saddowns:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

xzzy posted:

What the hell, that's nuts.

Did they seriously GIS for a planet texture and use the first suitable hit?

Not quite! We actually used libnoise with the default settings for an earthlike world to make Kerbin, which generates that map. By now it's only similar to the base libnoise in landmass distribution, since we keep messing with the topography.

General Battuta posted:

Hey Maxmaps, all this content is fantastic and I'm really happy to see the collaboration with NASA. Which reminds me! NASA is super cool about a lot of things, including its insistence on 'crewed' missions rather than 'manned'. I'd like to raise a call again for some lady kerbonauts, given that people like Tereshkova and Sally Ride were pioneers and that NASA's existing program is really great about drawing talent from any gender or nationality. I know it's 'just' an aesthetic feature but for a lot of people out there (especially kids maybe getting into aerospace) I think it'd be pretty big.

Even a bunch of lady Kerbal names in the name tables (or wherever they're drawn from) would be really great.

We're on it, but feel just adding lady names is unacceptable. Girlbals will have their own models.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Pyroi posted:

Will you actually be able to tell that they're female from looking at their spacesuits, or will it just be the same spacesuit, different facial model?

In their EVA suits they'll be as distinguishable as female and male astronauts are in theirs.

Edit: And let the record show we're looking at this and this. Not this and -never- this. But maybe this because that one makes the whole office either groan or giggle.

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 2, 2014

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

ToxicFrog posted:

The manouver planner appears to have gone insane and decided that one day == 6 hours. Alarm Clock and Engineer are still displaying the right values, but the map is saying that (e.g.) my Minmus encounter is eight days away rather than two.

There's an option now to switch between Human and Kerbal time, which one are you on?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Luneshot posted:

Also, the whole argument that "Kerbals are genderless, we don't need female kerbals! :downs:" is ridiculous bullshit since the Kerbals so far have very "male" traits- male names, the squared off jawline, buzzcut hair, etc.

That was the original idea but the initially placeholder names getting so strongly stuck in everyone's collective heads torpedo'd it. The design also doesn't help either, yeah. Trying to add accessories and hair to their current bodies makes them look like they're in drag, which while not a bad thing in any way, is probably not the kind of representation the female part of our fanbase is looking for.

Edit: I'm also looking forward to this as a test case related to the effects of fair representation in gaming, since our fanbase is primarily male. I've been of the opinion that good female representation is the key to evening out our audience, and if it stays the same way after female kerbals I'll forever hold any criticism of the mainstream audience after being proven wrong. I guess that's part of being an indie dev, we get to experiment things the big guys aren't in any financial position to try.

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 3, 2014

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Acquire Currency! posted:

Maxmaps you said something about a new escape tower?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Geemer posted:

Complain online about how little science asteroid samples give.

They're supposed to have biome veins running through them but we ran out of time to implement it. :ohdear:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Umbra Dubium posted:

So that's a confirmation that .23.75 on its way? :jeb:

Nope, but 24 is progressing nice and swiftly.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
There might be some tweaking to ions in the future but for now we're happy with the fact that they've gone from parts that no one used more than once to parts that some players who like making really efficient vessels are using sometimes.

We are looking at them as a niche propulsion system for very specific tasks that costs 300 science (and in a node that just contains them and what you need for them to turn on), will eventually cost a pretty hefty chunk of funds to prototype and then to buy, and since they're in the second to last tier of the tree they're allowed to be flat out better than several alternatives.

We're doing our best to give a true sense of progression to the tech tree and for each node to feel more rewarding than the one you used to unlock, and left the parts so incredibly easy to modify and tweak by the more experienced among us that sandbox exclusive players can tailor their experience to their liking.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

eth0.n posted:

On the other hand, reverting to current behavior would be trivial.

It's trivial both ways, actually! You can always go into:

Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Parts\Engine\ionEngine

Open up part.cfg on notepad, change

maxThrust = 2

to

maxThrust = 0.5

and

PROPELLANT
{
name = ElectricCharge
ratio = 1.8

to

PROPELLANT
{
name = ElectricCharge
ratio = 12

and your ions will be back to the exact same values as before the patch.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

SocketSeven posted:

Yup. At this point there is no reason to do anything but watch and wait for some hilarity to come along. Aggravating the guy wouldn't be doing the community any favors, and if he's as bad as people perceive, he'll end up hoist by his own petard eventually.

Yep! No need to take medicine before getting sick.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Right after I made that post I thought for an instant 'well there's vaccines' and figured nobody would bring that up. Of course I go afk, refresh and there you go.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Dred_furst posted:

Maxmaps: Is it required that all mods be at least mirrored on spaceport?

Nope, we're gearing up to press a pillow to Spaceport's face so everyone who feels like distributing by themselves is free to.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Fishstick posted:

Is there going to be a replacement? I kind of liked there being a central mod repository, but the search function was rear end and it was filled with .crafts

Yep!

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Eruonen posted:

If I have two ships reentering orbit at the same time, is there a way to have both deploy their parachutes? I can't seem to switch ships once I enter the atmosphere.

Deploy them before entering atmo? They'll activate but won't actually deploy until after the atmospheric pressure is right.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Space cash posted:

Anyway I think it would be cool and would fit the spirit of the game to have a section of the space center like the VAB or SPH just dedicated to rovers. A place that when you hit the launch button, you start in an area that has interesting terrain to test rover designs on. Stuff like ramps or a test track or maybe a fake crater to do sick jumps over. :)

A Danger Room with simulations of environments is high in my wishlist. I'll keep fighting the good fight.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Smee posted:

Apologies in advance if this is a repost/old news (seeing as its almost a year old), but I found this video to be pretty entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhRNO6EZmRA

There's never a bad time to link that vid.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Good news! The new tutorial system is almost done and kicks rear end! Bad news, it's gonna get totally overshadowed by the new contracts system. Which is kinda similar to the bounty system in Reaper of Souls but I dare say better due to details we will disclose later.

Also good news (for me, at least) taking my first week off since May, haha. Too bad it starts with a three and a half hour layover in Toronto tomorrow. :negative:

Edit: Would totally be up for a beer with any goon in whatever area Pearson airport is.

Edit2: VVV We might need to look at them a little but as far as I know the fact that they make presence of sunlight and electricity storage not actual issues for craft has them locked as pretty top tier parts.

Edit3: Reasoning however may be faulty due to heavy blood donation this morning.

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 11, 2014

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

What time of day? Some of us Toronto area goons are going out for karaoke tomorrow evening. (9-10 EDT I think)

Land in Toronto at 6:30 PM, flight leaves for Ottawa at 10:30 PM. This is what last minute planning does to you.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Whiirrr posted:

Been working on on my asteroid base lately:

Started off kinda small:

Hold on to that base. In an update or two that will be extremely valuable.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Deuce posted:

Updates, of course, that will break save files!

Hey now, we are getting better at it! :shobon:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

SocketSeven posted:

HOWEVER. 2 body physics with SoI is something like 99% accurate for calculating orbits. You are taking a huge performance hit in FPS and calculation accuracy for the fun of having to visit all your satellites on a regular basis to do station keeping.

Exactly. It's one of those things where realism for the sake of realism would be hurtful for the game.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Karl Sharks posted:

Would it be difficult to allow the satellite to correct itself at regular intervals, if there is fuel on board?

Not particularly, but your computer would not be too pleased with having to calculate every single body's effect on your vessel instead of just one. Plus time warp and refueling needs do not make great friends.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

rscott posted:

What happened to the training missions? I haven't played KSP in like a year and when I did it was only for a few hours so I can't really remember what to do. Do I need to download them as scenarios?

We're reworking them all. Expect them in 24.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Geirskogul posted:

KSP is a 32 bit program. Don't use more than three gigs or so or it crashes.

We're working on it!

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Yeah, it's a pretty big challenge but worth the effort. Not like, multiplayer big, but not something you can easily knock out of the way.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Mr. Wynand posted:

Be still my beating heart.

Yeah, I just want to also clarify that this isn't the magic bullet of performance increases or anything like that. More than anything it allows modders to go insane with the size of their projects.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Spookydonut posted:

I can't wait for Squad to lay the hammer down on some of this modding bullshit.

On what exactly? Took a week off so I may be out of the loop. Last I checked it was only Flowerchild being well, himself.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Science is really unintuitive and bad and new players not immediately understanding they should bail out of their spaceship to go grab surface samples of the launchpad in order to get rocket engines in a game called Kerbal Space Program is pretty much what I would expect. A tutorial telling you to do so would be lipstick on a pig at this point, when one thinks of collecting science in space they think of performing orbital experiments and bringing back moon rocks, not doing geology trips to Kerbal Uzbekistan. A single suborbital flight should without much if any player effort bring you well beyond what it does now as far as research, paired with a science panel persistently visible on the UI.

In 0.24 you start out with five science so you can learn how to research, as well as our inclusion of a new Science tutorial.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps you should be able to research an anchor. Attach it to one end of the spacecraft, go EVA, throw the anchor towards the planet, have it dig in and slowly dig a trench around the planet to slow the ship.

Picturing the death and destruction from such a system being used on earth is a funny mental picture.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Confirmed for .24

Haha, nah, clock's ticking on .24, no time for more features.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

.24 confirmed forrrrr tomorrow.

Nah, just not too far. And hey, this time we have full control of everything related to development. :toot:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
By the time we hit final release all bodies (and asteroids) will have biomes.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

zxqv8 posted:

Isn't Biome going to be a bit of a misnomer in most situations in KSP? I mean, I'm pretty sure the bio part of that refers to the existence of life, which we would presume most Kerbal celestial bodies do not have. :goonsay:

I'm probably just being excessively pedantic, but it kinda stuck out to me.

Well maybe all bodies have microbial life that differs from region to region. :colbert:

Edit: They really should be called something like regions.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Make every planet have some Spore-esque procedurally generated wildlife :colbert:

We do not use the S word in our dev team. We were all hurt by it.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Fishstick posted:

It's not a huge drag unless your speed is serious overkill, but adjusting throttle every 5k or so helps a bit.

I just make sure my altitude and speed match. 110 and 1000 meters, 120 at 2000, 130 at 3000, etc. Then at 10k I turn to 90 and then burn with everything I got. Disclaimer: Am scrub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Ratzap posted:

And you're not using FAR ;)

While you're here, are you (ie Squad) going to do something about third party mods advertising for 'Donations' in game? Toolbar and Interstellar are at it already. If they get away with it you can bet there will be a lot more soon. What's next after that? Mods start containing adverts for soap power unless you pony for ad free?

Our new modder agreement will get rid of all that, once we move to the new platform.

• Locked thread