Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Sinister_Beekeeper posted:

How are you all getting close to the asteroids? I tried the scenario and get to the intercept then it simply moves too much faster for me to get near if I try to move closer and I am not finding anything useful on the Youtubes to tell me what I am clearly doing wrong.

You want to intercept it so that you're both traveling the same direction. If you intercept going opposite directions you'll never have enough thrust/fuel to catch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Rectus posted:

Apparently the big asteroids don't block sunlight like the small ones do.

I've noticed solar panels are working fine in the shade on the Mun, so it might not just be the asteroids.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Just don't strut between the fairings and the bottom half of the rocket for 'stability'

Luckily it was just an unmanned probe that got stuck inside.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Nth Doctor posted:

illectro has used a train-like setup for interplanetary travel, before. Add a pair of nuclear engines to the front of your rocket, and have them tow the thing to wherever.

Holy poo poo that's brilliant, I spent so much time building train setups only for it to fall to pieces.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I think at some point (and possibly still) Mission Controller would auto-recover ships below a certain altitude with sufficient chutes.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Platystemon posted:

I can confirm that pulling asteroids is the way to go. There is one caveat: the engines must be mounted sufficiently far from the surface of the asteroid. Otherwise the asteroid blocks the exhaust and nothing happens.

Can you just unlock the gimbal to get it pulling directly against the COM?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Green Tea Erotica posted:

I had the genius idea to try my had at making a Space Station a few days ago. Which was no problem got it in space and a good orbit.
Well, I tried to put a 2nd part on it yesterday and dock it. Boy, was that a trial of my patience. I got the orbits to match and got them both right on top of each other, that wasn't the hard part, getting them to dock just never happened. I was looking at guide and tutorials but I still don't get it.
From what I gathered you need to get the Pink "Target" reticle to line up with your main one that you move around the navball. Is this impossible if you put docking ports on the side of your ship? It seems a lot of the videos and tutorials I see they all put the docking port on the nose of the ship, opposite of their thrusters. Can I not put it on the side and just use RCS to dock sideways?

Right click the docking port -> control from here

Right click the docking port on the target ship -> set as target

You can also 'cheat' to make it easy for yourself and point the docking port on both ships at each other.
Once that's done you make sure your prograde marker is sitting right on top of the target marker, if it's not you'll have problems.
Use the docking mode button in the bottom left, space swaps between rotation and lateral movement.

Edit: Pretty sure I found a bug or the KSO solar panels are stupidly strong when deployed. Running with DRE and FAR.

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 12, 2014

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

The Green Calx posted:

I've had quite a few bugs this release as well, including the phantom force making my ship rotate for seemingly no reason when I applied thrust.

I also encountered a bug where after tracking an asteroid in the tracking center, I got "stuck" on it, meaning I could not select anything else, nor could I exit the tracking center. Had to alt-tab and manually close the game process to get out of it.

Did you try pressing backspace to reset the camera on Kerbin? That fixed it for me.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I think Squad still needs to implement moons actually being shadowed by planets.

Sometimes my ships on the surface still get solar power through the planet, then sometimes on the Mun the surface is lit up but I get no solar power because the Mun is being shadowed by Kerbin.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Bootcha posted:

I think the wiki has some of it, but I did some experimentation and found out if you land in water that is considered part of a land biome and not just "water" you'll get a "splashed" condition for that biome and rake in a few more science points.

For example, Mountain splash:

A few locations here. The polar splashes have some obvious places, but need to be close to the "shore". The shore biome also has obvious locations.
http://imgur.com/xlhLZJu,Y8x7Hpj,RRRq8oV,MOeKFQw,pwPY0pR,Lde92rC

Additionally, the Water biome can be fooled into a "landed" condition. You can separate a module carrying instruments from atop a floating platform, and it'll consider itself "landed".

http://kerbal-science-remaining.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/

This is a pretty cool thing I found on the KSP Forums, drag a savefile into the webpage and it tells you what science is left to find, though there are a few things wrong (pressure readings on the Mun for example).

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

haveblue posted:

Jeb on his commute. Took off from the spaceport runway, met up with the transport cradle in orbit, now on the way to refuel at the Vall station before heading down to Laythe.

As per earlier in the thread, if you flip the engines so they pull instead of push you get a more stable ship.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Is that the n-body plugin?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Gau posted:

Wait, there's an n-body plugin? I could not deal with SOIs and crap?

Yes, but no. It's also quite bad.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/70881-0-23-5-Orbit-Manipulator-Series-%28WIP%29-%28Updated-March-12-2014%29

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

SocketSeven posted:

Yup N-body physics allows for orbital perturbation. I suspect the plugin doesn't take planets and moons off rails (I haven't used it though).

quote:

1. A very simple(primitive) linear limited NBody implementation. Not quite accurate but still give some challenges for mun transfer orbit or even interplanetary transfer. It will only affect the vessel you are controlling, and only by celestial bodies. default ON, toggle: RCtrl+RAlt+N.
It has an orbit predictor but it's very low efficient and buggy... lag the game quite a lot. default OFF, toggle: RAlt+N, restart prediction: LAlt+N.

So you don't need to stationkeep your satellites.

It also has atmospheric decay for orbits inside the atmosphere and the big feature, warpable ion engines.

quote:

3. Warpable engine for those ion thrusters. You can use "Throttle" slider to setup the thrust in time-warp, you might then notice that these thrusters do have over-powered thrust...

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Holy poo poo I love FAR.

It's the difference between the KSO shuttle barely making orbit and easily making a 300km orbit.

gently caress the stock KSP drag model forever.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Geemer posted:

I can't wait for the drama when 32-bit mods aren't compatible with 64-bit KSP and vice versa and mod creators not wanting to support outside of their comfort zone. :munch:

I can't wait for Squad to lay the hammer down on some of this modding bullshit.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Maxmaps posted:

On what exactly? Took a week off so I may be out of the loop. Last I checked it was only Flowerchild being well, himself.

Donation stuff in-game was the most recent thing I saw.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Hel posted:

KAS has an anchor, though I haven't tried it.

Using a KAS anchor, the anchor would hit the ground, dig in, and your craft will either break the cable/winch/mounting or swing downwards into the ground quite fast.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

nimper posted:

I set mine at 200m/70km with a 45% turn and it seems to work fine with most rockets.

That causes my rockets to do flips at about 3km.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

nimper posted:

Add fairings and make your rockets look more like dicks. Also add wings around the bottom to move the center of lift behind the center of mass.

I'm using proc fairings, the thing is positively phallic. I've found about 80% turn shape causes no issues.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I like the telescope mod but as has been pointed out before the amount of science you get from it is waaaaay too much.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

NatasDog posted:

Is there a mod that will list the biomes and research types you've yet to do for them on each planet/moon? I thought someone posted a link to a mod that would at least alert you whenever you entered a biome that has untapped research potential before, but I'll be damned if I can find it itt.

Having a handy table that checks off which research is still available would be more useful in my eyes, but I'll take anything I can get at this point; I wish the tech tree did it.

http://kerbal-science-remaining.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/
That's probably what you meant, it reads your savegame/quicksave.

There's a mod called ScienceAlert that lights up when you have new science you can do.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Flagrant Abuse posted:

With the addition of the Custom Biomes mod, I decided that was a good reason to design a one-way Eve rover/base. It is... large. 19 tons, 80 parts.

So I needed an appropriately large lifter.

And a lot of parachutes to slow it down.

I managed to land my crew delivery vehicle only about 5-6 km away, and the important parts all survived.

The view from the cockpit is pretty nice.

But it has a hard time climbing up more than about a 20 degree angle. Solution? Tow cables!

That's a neat design, where are the tracks from?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Avenging Dentist posted:

That's the nice thing about OSI licenses: most of them disclaim any warranty of the code being any good, and they also require that you give proper credit to the creator. Squad should definitely leverage the fact that thousands of other programmers want a license like that and just say "use an OSI-approved license" (maybe with a couple of suggested licenses like MIT and GPL). That should make the legalese a bit easier.

Further stipulate (even though it should be unnecessary) that the license must allow forks/derivative works/incorporation into other mods.
Just to really stick it to the rear end in a top hat mod makers.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I think a stipulation that mods may not have a phone-home or update check function, unless it is disabled by default.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The problem I have with KAS is the pipes. If you connect up a surface base with pipes, save and then load, the whole thing freaks out. Cables are fine though.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

maltesh posted:

Weird. In all the bases I've built using pipes, in all the time I've used KAS, I've not had any issue with that.

This base, for instance, has been sitting on the Mun since near the beginning of 0.23 save, and I had similar ones in 0.22, and 0.21. I've never had any of them freak out upon reload.

That said, I've also never attached any of the Ground Pylons I've used to the ground, preferring to just drop them on the ground and affix to them that way.

That unattached ground pylon as the central connector might be the key here. The more mass of the ships the more the ships freak out for me.
The ground pylon might act as a kind of buffer to prevent movement.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Met posted:

Delta-V indicators
Distance to ground indicator
Distant Objects mod in base game
Enhanced Navball mod in base game
Kerbal Alarm Clock in base game
Ability to disable Jeb, Bob, and Bill respawning
Orange uniforms on EVA for those three.

I could go on and on, especially "simple" mods that I think belong in base game, so I'll just end it here. I know there is seemingly little reason to implement mods into base game when people could simply just download the mods, but I think the convenience of some of them would help new players who might be hesitant to start with mods to enjoy the base game enough to stick with it.

The biggest argument at the moment for adding simple/essential mods into the base game is that they won't break every other version.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
If you go back a few pages Maxmaps discussed the whole female kerbal thing and how they're looking to add them in a way that isn't just changing their spacesuits pink.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Arsonide posted:

So the reports are plain text json somewhere. All we have to do is make up a bunch of bullshit json reports and send them to that server. Not enough to be considered an attack or anything, just enough to make the data useless as he wouldn't know if it was real or not.

Let's make "gently caress you Majiir" the #1 mod on modstats

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
He could quite easily just manipulate the data to make Kethane the number 1 mod.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Does KSP or FAR model ground effect?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Samopsa posted:

I don't know, there's almost always a KW rocketry part that's a better option compared to stock. It's not that big of a difference, but I can always squeeze out some extra dV by just replacing stock engines with KW-engines of the same tier.

Yeah but now you have to consider the cost.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The FAQ is wrong about not seeing a benefit from 64-bit with less than 4gb of ram, 32-bit threads are limited to 2GB per thread :spergin:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Felime posted:

"Better Than Spyware"

Hey, just fork his fork and post it yourself.

Better yet, everyone should do that. Fill the add-on forum with threads.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Felime posted:

Yeah, let's not start some forums invasion poo poo here. I was just making a dumb joke.

So was I.

I'm just disappointed because Maxmaps had indicated action would be taken before 0.24

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Just add mechjeb to all pods, there's a little mod manager .cfg file floating around which does it all for you.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Dongattack posted:

Why are the "Test This Part" contracts so hilariously specific? Hardly even worth picking them up when you pretty much have to dedicate one launch to testing like one or two of them.

And they're only worth <1000 Kesos

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Tenebrais posted:

Does anyone else think the mission control building is too small? It's the smallest building on the campus, and tucked away at the back, despite being probably the second most important.
Personally I'd have it switch buildings with the astronaut complex, since you very rarely have a reason to use that. And mission control being in the big building with the flag fits better, in my opinion, while the astronauts get to stay in one that has a view of the launchpad.

More critical building, so a smaller target means less chance of losing it in an hourly disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

ArchangeI posted:

You wanted a challenge :colbert:

And also chart the surface of Jool

• Locked thread