Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Samopsa posted:

-Snip-

tl;dr: any mod I install fucks up graphic effects in KSP, reinstall does not help

When you say you deleted the install, did you do it through Steam or manually go to the install location and delete the files there? Steam only removes the things it adds or something to that effect. It leaves stuff behind all the time when you remove it via the client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So any bets on what the new currency will be called? Or how long it will take people to find the file to edit to change it?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Gau posted:

I would like to irresponsibly fire wild speculation that Maxmaps' secret project is a real-life Kerbal Space Program competition.

Word on the street is that they are starting a service to launch cats into space.

Falken posted:

What is the mod that adds extra ways to get science? In Scott Manley's videos he gets impact data from chucking debris into planetary bodies for instance.

http://kerbal-space-parts.com/space/modpart-dmagic-orbital-science-new-science-parts-v0-6-168.html (Row row, fight da powa!)

Edit: Double checked and that's for an older version, but the current can be found here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64972-0-23-5-DMagic-Orbital-Science-New-Science-Parts-V0-8-1-(6-7-14)

Several probe and rover based science goodies. There are a few others but I'll have to go find them. Manley has a video detailing his mods for those videos so you would do well to give that a watch if you get a chance.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 8, 2014

Warbird
May 23, 2012

eth0.n posted:

Finally created a full set of part models for Station Science, to be released after 0.24:

That station shows the Science Lab, Zoology Bay, and Cyclotron.

Very nice, what amounts of science do they generate?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Maxmaps posted:

We've reached out and if necessary I'll happily carry the man down here on my back.

For the love of god, don't drive him. We can't stand to lose another one.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

darnon posted:

You could always use one of the Romfarer mods for its increased vessel activity distance plus something like the Klockheed Martin altimeters or RealChute to automatically deploy parachutes.

That seems to be the way to do it currently, but the game really needs to redo the parameters for despawning parts if returning them grants decent returns. The game already calculated the positioning of objects outside your operating area although they are on rails. If I were to set if up, you could shunt parts into a temporary craft type that deletes itself once certain parameters are met. The game knows how and where parts will be at any given time that aren't being influenced by the player.

Here's how I see it working:

• Astronaut Bill Lee launches out of KSC and decouples the launch stage as usual.
  • At the time the stage is decoupled, KSP runs a check of the parts falling. Parts with parachutes attached (primed or set off when decoupled) where the 'chutes cause enough drag to prevent destruction on impact are flagged in the memory.
  • KSP knows the physics of these flagged parts and when they should impact the ground and flags the time in question.
  • The parts are then despawned as per usual and once the flagged time is met the associated part is refunded for the associated amount

Depending on how it's put into the game, a massive launch stage being decoupled at once could seriously lag the game, but that could be slightly offset by doing the checks and calculations at the time of building or as the launch loads. Just a thought.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

* New UI Toolbar:
User interfaces in the game have been vastly overhauled, but the largest addition is the new app toolbar, which can be seen in most scenes now, and holds buttons to flip between the messages, resources, currencies and contract panels. Also, it's mod-friendly.

Will this have a huge Paypal donate button on it? If not, I'm modding one in; it just isn't the same without it.

* Budget Essentials:
Career Mode is greatly expanded now by the addition of Funds and Reputation. Funds are required to launch vessels, and reputation is earned (and lost) by doing contracts (or failing them). In this release, your reputation is already used to regulate the level and amount of contracts offered you. Lower reputation means fewer and less prestigious contract offers, while high reputation means more and more ambitious proposals.

Does Reputation degrade over time? Also, is there a cap? If not it seems that you could do a couple of high profile (or several easy) missions and live off of that for some time. If you're forced to constantly renew rep, that could be used to add a layer of difficulty to the campaign.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 10, 2014

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Captain Postal posted:

That mechanic could really suck if you get around at max warp waiting for the next burn on long multi-year flights like I do. Unless it degraded per launch or something.

My reasoning was the same as Arsonide was saying. If you sit on your rear end for too long, the public interest is going to wane. Now ideally the first for anything would garner huge amounts of rep (first Mun, Minmus, Duna, ect) and then repeats of the event would generate smaller returns. I imagine it could be a toggle-able sort of functionality for difficulty's sake.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Well, they are green plant like guys (I may be getting official and fan lore mixed up). Slap some boosters and crew habitation modules on an asteroid and you can get a good old fashioned WAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!! started up in no time.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I don't know about them, but I've seen other Gypsy Dangers before that one. Granted it didn't really move or do much other than look interesting.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

double nine posted:

when does the .24 update land? Did they actually give a release date?

No not yet, the general consensus is within the month. Possibly Tuesday, but that's pure speculation.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

DStecks posted:

Eh, depending on the engines I'm using, sometimes I like to be able to rev them up a bit before releasing the clamps.

Do they have a rev up if you go for 100% from a cold start? I've never checked.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Maxmaps posted:

The funny part is that Squad Marketing is working on promoting the Leaf right now so there's two of the ugly things parked outside of HQ.

MAX! I'm hurt, what would Elon think?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Why haven't you been to Duna yet? Also, your generator has a bit of a comma fetish.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

You appearing as a negative Nancy can take this discussion on the use of commas whether substantiated or not to the appropriate languages discussion forum.

You misunderstand me, I'm making the same point as Splode and Psawhn; the text is a bit odd, but I prefer odd. The same way I love engrish from older Japanese NES and SNES games. Semi-random generation of content is extremely tricky, even more so to get it to produce ascetically pleasing content. Throw in the fact that it's dealing with language with all its assorted rules and things get weird fast. If the generator pushes out perfectly structured sentences that would make Timothy Zahn cry, that's great! If not, I'm going to read and enjoy it regardless.

And I know Max has been to Duna, I just like giving him a hard time.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really think there should be a Kerbal mod for XCom. 'Why are they all crash-landing in our cities?! Commander, you know what to do.'

Since OpenXCom got released, it should be well within the realms of possibility.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

Can someone repost the gif of the rocket with the "gently caress" arranged engines? I was going to search the old thread but found archived threads are not searchable.

This one?

Or this one?

Warbird fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 16, 2014

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Molotov Cock Tale posted:

New version of Dwarf Fortress out last week I think, I'm waiting for the lazy newb pack though. Because I'm lazy. And the other thing :eng99:

The DF starter pack guys have been pretty fast about getting it updated lately. I'm fairly sure that they have a version for DF2014 if not the more recent bugfix patches. I'd still recommend sticking with DF2012 for another few weeks while they get things ironed out.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

code:
Changed Depots
220201/encryptedmanifests/hypetrainstationchief/encrypted_gid: * hidden *
220202/encryptedmanifests/hypetrainstationchief/encrypted_gid: * hidden *
220203/encryptedmanifests/hypetrainstationchief/encrypted_gid: * hidden *
branches/hypetrainstationchief/buildid: 225439
branches/hypetrainstationchief/description: Dear passengers of the Hype Train, please return to your seats.
branches/hypetrainstationchief/pwdrequired: 1
Well that doesn't bode well.

Edit: Sniped.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Now that the update's out, we return you to your regularly scheduled Quad City DJ's song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhRNO6EZmRA

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Do we actually know what the data the mods are collecting?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

If they're using a known resource for the data collection that's easily viewable, that's not too bad. However they should make it apparent from the get go and have an easily accessible opt-out process for people that don't want that stuff.

Solid Poopsnake posted:

People actually playing the game: How are the new contracts working out so far? Unfortunately, I have about 7 hours before I can play this.

They're pretty good. The generator may need a bit of tweaking in later patches, but it's enjoyable. The best part is that you don't have to grind for science like you used to for the first few missions. The bulk of the missions are "test X at Y altitude and Z speeds" starting out, but you also get "Rescue Kerbal from oribit" as well as milestone objectives for orbit, landings, and whatnot.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Zaran posted:

If you are swapping the 64bit exe in Steam you need to take the KSP_64_Data folder and rename it to KSP_Data for the exe to find the correct mono fileset.

I was about to ask about that, thank you.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That's sort of in there barring the public release of information already, but modifying it to provide said information to modders might be the best course of action.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Maxmaps posted:

New policies up for any of you who partake in modding. Plenty of time to modify projects or talk to us about rule tweaks before they go in.

Looks pretty good. I could see having to provide a license being daunting for some new modders but, as others have said, there are several existing samples to take from that could be used or adapted for mod usage.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

maniacdevnull posted:

Does .24.1 address the x64 related ejection force bug for decouplers, or is that change note for something else?

code:
* Fixed an issue with some decoupler modules failing to apply ejection forces when activated.
I would assume so unless there was another instance of decouplers not working that I wasn't aware of. (Which is entirely possible.)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Maxmaps posted:

If only.

Also Nui-shaming is bad, anonymous title/avatar giver.

You should let your Nui flag fly Max. Also, do you think that KSP will have more graphical settings in the future? My setup doesn't have the resources to run the game right now.

EDIT- That avatar looks oddly familiar. I want to say I've seen it on Max's streams or something.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 25, 2014

Warbird
May 23, 2012

PiCroft posted:

Can anyone give a list of recommended mods, perhaps their own list of mods they personally use? I looked at the OP and the usual suspects are there but I'd have missed the Near Future and Station Science mods had I not browsed the Curse site.

Alarm Clock
Chatterer
Deadly Reentry
Enhanced Nav Ball
KAS
Kethane
Life Support
Probe/Rover Science
Proc Farings
RemoteTech
Universal Storage

I recommend Engineer if you need flight data, KOS if you want some scripting fun.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

DStecks posted:

Show me one person who actually has gotten malware from Majiir's servers being hacked and I'll retract my statement.

Let's say you have a wad of cash of a decent amount. You decide to leave that wad of cash on your back porch, because no one in your town would do such a thing as taking something that belongs to you, and they may not. Who cares? It's your money.

Now say you and everyone you know decides to put your money in the bank. The bank claims that they're secure and that no one can mess with them. However, we all know banks can be robbed, that's the whole point of the FDIC. It's kind of an important deal. Majiir's running an uninsured bank. Sure it may be secure now, or may not even have anything worth taking, but that doesn't matter. Chucklefuck has EVERYONE'S money and more often than not put it in his bank without asking to begin with. If I had voluntarily put my money in there knowing the risk, then that would be on me. However his bank has the interesting ability to take my money even when I don't want it to and has become quite upset when I tell them I don't want to.

Remember the last time a group of bankers with a large amount of other people's resources started to gently caress around with said people's resources without their knowledge or consent? It's all fine and good until something bad happens and EVERYTHING goes to poo poo.

More pertinatly, IT Sec is not about responding to a problem, it's preventing the problem from happening to begin with. The balance of security vs usability is the ongoing fight that anyone in the field is intimately familiar with. If someone wants to play fast and loose with their data, that's perfectly ok. If they want to do the same with MY data, that's no good.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Cannot Find Server posted:

Every time I play KSP, my eventual goal is to have a bangin' system of stations around the Jool system, but I never get further than a Minmus refueling depot before I give up. I just can't build heavy lifters that can make it to Jool even with refueling. Tips?

Show us your current heavy lifter and we can go from there. Assembling in orbit is necessary for larger projects; toss a few together and send up a interplanetary engine block and you got yourself a Jool station waiting to happen.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Cannot Find Server posted:

I'll post it when I get that far, but right now I'm so early in the career that I haven't even been to Duna yet, let alone build a heavy lifter or any stations at all.

I do know orbital assembly is required, but I am really, really bad at figuring that stuff out. Refueling stations are about as far as I can get.

Unlock the orange tanks, mainsails, fuel crossfeeds, struts, and docking ports. From there set up some asparagus staging and you're good to go. Manley has a video on it somewhere; I'll see if I can find it in the morning.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The modders IRC got pretty heated last night. I haven't seen people that mad when it comes to something that isn't football or politics.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I've always felt that the lab should be able to contain completed experiments rather than just transmit them after messing with them. That way you could justify sending out motherships out to SOIs with several probes to access the assorted biomes (eventually) and moons. Then once you're done you haul the lab and crew back to Kerbin and land it. Given the lab and hitchhiker modules sizes and masses, the logistics would present a challenge for the players willing to attempt it.

EDIT- Disregard, I am an idiot.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 2, 2014

Warbird
May 23, 2012

eth0.n posted:

That would be called "landing".

Give the man a prize!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Arsonide posted:

Not to toot my own horn, but TOOT!

Check the Facebook page too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEKbFMvkLIc

Gradz man, good job!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

stuart scott irl posted:

pictured: scrub rear end RAM and a fan that would vent into nothing if I hadn't removed the cover

What do you mean? It vents to the side, on the right in the picture. If it's overheating, your vents are likely clogged with lord knows what. You'd do well to clean them, but be sure to read up first or have someone with experience do it for you.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

haveblue posted:

The ram could just be going bad.

That would be a result of the heat, not necessarily a cause. Improper ventilation is what I most often see in relation to this, but that is on a by user basis. The best I can recommend is to make sure your fan is operating correctly and that you have adequate airflow to the device. You may also consider reapplication of thermal paste, but this should be done by a professional in most instances. In lieu if that, take it to Apple.

What specs do you have on your machine?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is coffee with tequila in it Mexican Coffee?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The mod list in the OP hasn't been updated since April. Is there a list of "best of" mods that someone who's played a bit and is now coming back after a six month hiatus should download?

Depends on what you want out of the game. Easier? Harder? Resources? Parts? Mechanics? Resources?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't know. I'm an engineer so I like parts, but I'm pretty flexible.

Try Interstellar. That adds a good amount of parts and systems. I'm fairly sure it doesn't have malware on it either.

• Locked thread