Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
So I discovered that stronger joints does not mean invincible joints.

I'm very pleased.

(Holy smoke you still need lateral struts, those new SRBs are nuts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I have absolutely no idea how to go about intercepting an asteroid, even after watching scott manley's video. I assume it's just normal rendezvous but with messier orbits, but that's easier said than done.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Just captured this:

It's a class C, which I'm pretty happy with for a first attempt.
I used the technique where you rendezvous with the asteroid in Kerbol SOI, as this one had a really high inclination and was going to impact. Holy balls some of the floating point errors are fixed in Kerbol SOI but not all of them. It's fine when you're really close now, but when you're encounter is between 20,000km and 5,000km the distance jumps very strangely.
It's now sitting in a 300x300 orbit with 0.1 degrees inclination.

Time to send up a crew to investigate!

Also maxmaps, could we get some sort of indicator for which way along our trajectory we're going? It's alright when you're on an escape trajectory as one end will have the little escape symbol, but it can be tricky when you're in a stable orbit. I was paranoid I was burning all my fuel and changing inclination in the wrong direction the whole time. It wasn't really a problem before, but now asteroids often come in retrograde, it'd be a handy thing to have.

Splode fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 4, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Geemer posted:

I just went to visit the asteroid I caught and painstakingly put in a nice parking orbit.
It was the first asteroid my tracking station spotted and it is an E type that was planning to hit Kerbin dead-on.

I've lovingly named it Big Bertha.

Then I found out that I get High Kerbin science and my periapsis isn't low enough to get Near Kerbin. :suicide:

On the subject of science, 60 really isn't very much for a sample you have to do this much work for. Especially if I can hop over to the Mun or Minmus and get 500+ in a single trip with minimum effort.

60? Should be 600!

Thanks for the heads up with the high orbit/low orbit science, I may need to burn some more of my fuel yet...

Also congratulations on catching a class E!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Steelion posted:

The problem is that they get the same multipliers as any other science "experiment" so by bringing the asteroids into stable, near-Kerbin orbits, you're reducing the multiplier. That's my assumption at least.

Well, that's annoying. I've missed out on a bunch of science by not sticking a pod on my asteroid-getter. This science system does not appear to make much sense for asteroids. Is it possible for them to disable the multiplier for asteroid sample missions and then give it a big value?

Shanakin posted:

The something like prograde marker on the navball perhaps?

That works but it's not quite as clear as it could be. Sometimes you can't see the prograde marker on the navball, for example.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

So because the claw means you and the asteroid/spacedebris/kerbal all become one ship, you can transfer fuel out of a tank you grab. This was a feature they advertised.

It also means you can transfer fuel between two ships, via an asteroid. Weird, but handy!

Headline news: NASA discovers asteroids full of intricate adaptable pipework!

So asteroid samples "high over kerbin" and "near kerbin" are both 60 points. Are asteroids not affected by biome multipliers after all or is the multiplier for low and high kerbin orbit the same?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

Thanks Obama :argh:

I've been noticing some really weird physics interactions too since the patch. Those new joints are haunted, I tell ya.

I have a problem with kerbals sliding down ladders. It's a pain when you're trying to pull data out of 5 different experiments and Jeb has decided to slowly slide off. It happens consistently for me, anyone else noticed this since the patch?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Okan170 posted:

Do you have Kerbal Joint Reinforcement installed? There is a bug currently where exiting time warp will leave a vessel unable to be affected by physics at all. I've hit that bug myself, and removing KJR resolved the problem.

So what is the purpose of KJR now that squad has strengthened the joints themselves?

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Oh my god they even persist through switching craft. This is awesome, Squad's awesome. Maxmaps you and your buddies are awesome.

This feature is really fantastic, do let the team know Maxmaps.

Splode fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 4, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

DStecks posted:

Seriously, 60 science for asteroid capture? Was any playtesting done at all? By the time you can afford the claw, that won't even get you halfway to a new tech!

Can anyone see if biome multipliers have any impact? I got 60 from both high and low kerbin orbit, but I can't remember if they have the same multiplier.

It wouldn't make much sense if they do make an impact, an asteroid is what it is regardless of where you are.
Not to mention that moving it to LKO with an un-crewed spacecraft and performing the sample with a smaller manned craft once in orbit is exactly what NASA is going to do. It'd be really silly if they were accidentally penalising players who do this.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Elukka posted:

What am I missing? Is it some hilarious modder drama please tell me it is and explain it because I wanna hear.

This came up in the last thread when this mod came out. Flowerchild is an infamous minecraft modder. Everything you've heard about the minecraft modding community in one spergy 14 year old

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Geemer posted:

Wasn't he the guy that made Minecraft crash if it detected another mod that corrected his mod's bullshit and also made his mod cause permanent changes to the game?

Yep! Don't worry though Squad's community managers are aware and reasonably capable of shutting down mod drama

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Spaceman Future! posted:

Well got tired of trying to chase asteroids through Kerbin's influence. Only one thing for it, deep space recovery!

Success! For the record, Asteroid science high in orbit above the sun? 60. :smith:

So that confirms Asteroid science is not affected by biome multipliers: it's 60 in both high and low kerbin orbit too.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Eruonen posted:

I sent a moon lander to the moon, but used too much fuel trying to not crash into the surface.

So I decided to launch a rescue mission, which managed to leave the moon but used too much fuel getting into Kerban orbit.

So now I want to rescue the rescue mission by having a ship push them into orbit. I don't have the grabber part and it will take ages before I get there, so does anyone have any good ideas on how to slow down a ship in orbit that is out of fuel? It has plenty of energy left to reorient in case that helps (it might when two ships come into contact).

I've already read up on how to rendevous with a ship that's in orbit, but manipulating its speed is where I'm having trouble.

Get out and push. Your eva pack refuels every time you enter a pod.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Geemer posted:

If you wanna land, I'd suggest going to Minmus instead. It has a lot lighter gravity and the salt flats are at sea level, so you can trust the altimeter.
I generally plan my maneuvers at the AN or DN when Minmus is about 90 degrees ahead of the maneuver node.

Alternatively you could watch Scott Manley's tutorial videos and get a more visual explanation.

Nah, minmus is harder to navigate to, its weaker gravity means it has a smaller SOI, and it's further out, AND on an inclined orbit, so it's a bit tricky for new players to get to. It's easy to get to the mun, it's safely landing and returning that's tricky. For an orbit mission, the mun is way easier.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

MeramJert posted:

I wish all these mods showed your semi-major axis so I didn't have to calculate it myself.

Kerbal engineer does this. (as does Mechjeb). What mods are you even using?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

General_Failure posted:

Been away for a week. Lots of pages to plough through still.

Thought I'd just post an inspirational shot.

No matter what parts are unlocked, or what your damage is there is always a way.

Yes that's a variant of my current main lifter.

Main lifter to where, Eeloo!?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

thehustler posted:

Capped my first asteroid over the weekend, a Class C. Had no idea about the pivoting claw but my alignment wasn't that far off so the burns weren't too problematic.

I'm having trouble working out how to capture an asteroid on an intercept course, though. Not sure how you eject from Kerbin and rendezvous with something on that kind of course. Normal rendezvous are fine.

Intercept it outside of kerbin's SoI.
Put yourself in a parking orbit and muck around with your escape burn so your trajectory crosses the asteroids trajectory. From there on it's standard rendezvous stuff, although brace yourself for floating point errors: they're better, but they're still not perfect.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Spookydonut posted:

Is that the n-body plugin?

No, that's just what happens to the game's patched conics system shits itself. Floating point errors are hilarious.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

whiteshark12 posted:

Bug in the latest release, my Duna mission partially failed because my lander couldn't dock to the main ship again, both started spinning without SAS on despite both having 0 throttle.

I encountered this today too. I'm pretty sure only the new huge parts do it

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Overwined posted:

I'm getting some spinning with smaller crafts that are totally symmetric and that use no fuel lines. What's the fuel lines thing all about? Are they really throwing things out of balance now? Also what has changed to induce all this spinning. It would be a pain if you now have to have perfect symmetry on lighter crafts now.

I had no fuel lines and was perfectly symmetrical. We'll see what they find I guess.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Elukka posted:

The ISPs are realistic, it's the thrust-to-weight ratio that's way low. KSP's chemical rockets mass up to 10 times more or have 10 times less thrust depending on how you look at it. The nuclear thermal rocket is realistic in performance, jets are too powerful and the ion engine is probably thousands of times more powerful than real ones.

A real life rocket is ~95% propellant by mass. The rest is payload, engines, structure and staging equipment. All the structure and engines etc. are very, very light. It's why SpaceX can fly its first stage back to launch site with a pittance of fuel and an acceptable payload penalty.

They rockets in game are generally balanced sensibly enough - the point isn't so much to model exactly realistic engines but to make a fun game where the end result also matches up with reality to a degree. I disagree with the way the ion engine and to a lesser extent the jets are currently, though. The chemical and nuclear rockets work pretty well.

You know the game balance is working when someone posts about a new bizarre idea they've had and someone links a relatively unknown research project or mission and points out it's also totally possible in reality, not actually just a gamey exploit.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Tusen Takk posted:

Do you have to have the xenon containers attached to the engine? I wish there was a bigger xenon container other than the dinky one that seems to be meant for a probe :saddowns:

That dinky xenon container will last you for a very, very, very long time. There's a larger radial one too.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Geirskogul posted:

They're the same guy.

:thejoke:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Holy smoke better atmospheres and distant objects make this game look incredible. I've always been irritated by the skybox being so bright all the time, and the distinct darksides of planets looks much better too. Note for those curious: the better atmospheres mod doesn't yet come with terminator coloration (so Kerbin loses its nice sunrises/sunsets) but the mod maker is working on it!

Those two bright objects are Duna and Jool. Your spacecraft also show up as tiny pin points of light (if they're in the sun). I didn't think the engine was capable of this level of detail, it really makes the game look incredible, although better atmospheres can still look a bit strange.

The mods used are:
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55905-0-23-5-7-3-EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-NEW%21-VolumetricClouds%21
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/77523-0-23-5-Better-Atmospheres-V4-April-23rd-2014/page6
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69907-0-23-Distant-Object-Enhancement-v1-3-Planets-satellites-in-the-night-sky%21-%283-3%29

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Java is a piece of crap. Garbage collection is "automatic" and doesn't work, requiring you to do really arcane things to prevent it from wasting memory, it bundles with adware and constantly hassles you for updates (also bundled with adware) and doesn't even produce a good product!
Look at minecraft's performance and imagine if it was written in ANY OTHER LANGUAGE.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

TomR posted:

I got a pretty big rock.

Holy toledo, nice work.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

General_Failure posted:

Ratzap, Do you have Platinum? I need to pick your brains but don't want to poo poo up this thread unnecessarily. There's something I'm overlooking either to do with naming convention or file location and I'm not sure what.

have the conversation here, there is basically no documentation about modding so anything that you say here could be useful for someone later.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

General_Failure posted:

Landing a KSP spaceplane IVA must be a bitch. thinking about it I've never even tried.

What I think would be cool would be an IVA style control panel in KSC to fly unmanned missions by. Extra points if a Kerbal needs to be assigned for the mission and can walk away from the console.

...Ooh. Extending on that a portable remote control unit for unmanned vehicles. Shame it'd require the engine to keep two 2.5km zones active.

But I really would like a radar altimeter for unmanned craft.

This mod exists! Don't have a link handy right now but I'm sure you'll be able to find it without too much trouble, it's fairly recent as it came out of the IVA mania when RPM was released.

Edit: Troglyfe found it, see below

Splode fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 28, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

General_Failure posted:

An orbit? So what?

My first stock part SSTO spaceplane is what!

Yes I used R.A.P.I.E.R. engines but didn't exploit them. It also lost a rudder during takeoff but it didn't seem to matter much. What's nice is it has a hitchhiker module on it so it could be used for orbital Kerbonaut delivery.

hahaha you know you can use like, 1 rapier to get into orbit, right? That is one seriously over-engineered plane: I wouldn't be surprised if you still have enough fuel to go to Minmus.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Luceo posted:

This is why I actually delete the citylights module from the Visual Enhancements mod. Those lights are silly when you know there's really nothing there. :smith:

How do I delete this? I tried but it didn't seem to work. I'm running the better atmospheres plugin too.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

General_Failure posted:

I concur. The only reason I used them on my (relatively) tiny biplane was laziness.

automatic switching from open to closed cycle is handy too

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Klyith posted:

PLANE poo poo

Hey, you seem to know a reasonable amount of this stuff! I just installed FAR and have had a lot of success making planes that look like planes. However the FAR info panel is still a bit odd to me. None of the graphs mean anything to me, and I know the second page tells you if you're stable, but I'm not sure what kind of stable: one of my planes is green all the way up to mach 1, then unstable on just 1 point. It flies just fine all the way up to mach 5, so I'm not entirely sure what the deal is.

Don't worry about being too technical, I've done fluid mechanics at college so it shouldn't be too baffling.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Does anyone know a mod that lets you build your own techtree?

I've spent the last hour doing X-15 style rocket plane testflights with FAR.
It is a considerably more fun way to begin the game: same biomes, but considerably more challenging than "press space, collect science"

edit: I can probably edit the parts to have them unlock earlier... HRMMM...

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Rottbott posted:

It was kind of fun, but I don't think I'll ever be going back to Eve.

This is why I haven't done a crewed mission to eve. I might now the wider parts are in, but it just seems tedious.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I'm pretty dubious, this site looks awful. Was there a reason you couldn't just fix up space port into space port 2 with better tag management? As a one click hosting service it's pretty good.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I like plausbility (rather than ~realism~) in my games as it means you can copy real life solutions to in-game problems, which is satisfying and educational. That's why I love FAR and (the idea behind) RT2 (if not the clumsy and tedious execution). However, I've never had any interest in life support mods. It doesn't actually add a problem to solve, it just means you need heavier interplanetary vehicles and you probably can't do rescue missions.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

OAquinas posted:

With .24 and the Kerbals successfully researching "Currency" on the tech tree, an SSTO will be a huge benefit for orbital refueling. Assuming that you get credit for reusing the returned ship, anyway.

Though, yeah, with current parts its a bit of a pain to make a good SSTO that's more than a puddle jumper in capacity. MaxMaps mentioned spaceplanes getting another dev pass; here's hoping .25 has some plane love.

space planes only save you money if you land them safely, which is a pretty big if with only a few places you can safely land and no precise system for aiming your trajectory.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

shortspecialbus posted:

Yes, assuming you're using EVE numbers and not actually using Kerbin numbers like I did one time. :( Also, in what should be obvious but isn't always due to just not thinking about it, try to land on a peak, as high above sea level as you can. You'll still want to budget 10k, but at least you'll have a bit of a buffer for piloting errors.

dV is not related to the parent body in any way. The division by 9.81 is effectively arbitrary, and simply converts the units to seconds so that there's no imperial/metric conflicts.
TL;DR Eve numbers are the same as Kerbin numbers.

Obviously TWR is affected by the parent body.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Met posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjdB1EOXzn4&t=698s

This is a pretty impressive mech. Video starts off a little funky, but it picks up when you see it in action.

The Mun Skiing. :jebstare:

m1sz makes annoying videos but pretty amazing ksp contraptions. I recommend sound off and selective meme blindness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Avenging Dentist posted:

I think the last time this came up, I suggested the following:

• Stuff hosted on official KSP channels (forums, Spaceport/Curse) should have an OSI-approved license to allow other players to fork mods (especially important for abandoned ones). This does mean that modders can go after people for plagiarizing their work (i.e. not giving the original authors credit), but they can't go after people for a properly-attributed fork.
  • Donation links are fine, but only on the mod's page on Spaceport/Curse or in the OP of the forum thread. It should be made clear that the donation is purely-voluntary and confers no additional features.

I think that gives modders a fair amount of control (and some opportunity to make a bit of money) while still keeping players' interests in mind.

I think this is the way to go.
Force open-sauce and make sure you retain authority and the power to delete the thread/curse entry for mods that violate your agreement.

Remember it's your game!

Edit: I agree with the above post: allowing members of the community to fork mods is better than allowing members of the community to monetise mods. It'd be much easier for everyone if someone could just fix up the b9 pack without worrying about mod drama.

• Locked thread