Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Okan170 posted:

I used to be able to alt-tab out of KSP and it'd run merrily in the background, but recently, on Windows, its been just holding when I tab out. I'm not sure if anything's changed, but I guess its a thing.

If you add "-popupwindow" to the launch options in steam (or append that to a desktop shortcut) and set KSP to full screen it will act as a proper, borderless window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I don't need a downloader app to download stuff, that's what my loving web browser is for.

I'll be the other side of this argument: I love mod managers and how they simplify downloading and installing mods.

Like Spaceport, it can be replaced if it's ruinous to the community for whatever reason.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It's looking really, really good. Very excited for the release.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

fermun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRUEOdliFns

Scott Manley's own preview of 0.24 First Contract (his other one was for a different site).

:vince: my body is ready

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Every time I come back to 40+ posts I think "oh great it finally came out" and then...

My heart can't take much more, Maxmaps.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Maxmaps posted:

Not today. A thing broke and we're fixing it. It's overtime for the code team.

Thanks, minor bummer but no sweat!

Now I can get on with life, make dinner and do that thing for work I was putting off until "later."

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ratzap posted:

Don't stop there, load up this craft file and let him fly it. Such things must be preserved as our cultural heritage.

Um

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

This video is PERFECTLY suited for the occasion.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Unkempt posted:

Anyone know how Steam handles a 32 to 64bit upgrade? Should I maybe uninstall first or is it all automatic?

The exes will he installed side by side and you will need to create a shortcut to the 64bit as the 32 will launch by default.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

That confirmed?
I'd think it would be a "beta" you could opt in to, like you can choose the previous release version right now.

I'm pretty sure it was in the update FAQ posted the other day.

e: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/294-Kerbal-Space-Program-First-Contract-The-FAQ

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Duodecimal posted:

Steam is downloading if you restart it.

:vince: HERE WE GO

edit: \/ pro-tier water vaporing

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
This is really polished & a fantastic step forward.\

e: \/ just make a desktop shortcut dude

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Unkempt posted:

How do I do this? I decoupled one after landing but it's not completing.

you can watch for the conditions in-flight, all have to be met BEFORE you stage to activate the part, then you get credit for the test.

e: also, seems like we have to explore the mun before minumus based on the contracts issued :negative:

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I can't seem to get ownership over a kerbal I'm trying to rescue. In the scott manley video, a close approach seemed to do it but not for me.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I think there's a problem with my car:

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
This contract ended up being pretty problematic: that altitude is too low to be considered "orbit," always "sub-orbital trajectory" instead even though I'm circularized & out of the atmosphere.

I've noticed other testing conditions with velocity that would be difficult to achieve, but this is the first time I've found one that seems to be impossible.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Jam posted:

How come no matter which astronaut I pick its always Jebediah and nobody else riding in the rocket?

Your PE has to be more than 70km. 144km is definitely orbitable. Edit: oh poo poo Jool my bad.

Yeah I was circularized within 50m of the max alt for that. No biggie, just hacked the save and adjusted the parameters for that one - I just think it was impossible to complete as generated by the game.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I think it does which solves the problem in the previous two posts.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dred_furst posted:

Just a word of warning. :siren: Do Not Do This :siren:, This is a denial of service attack. Yes, it would poo poo on majir. It would not, however, solve anything wrong with the mod. Keep it constructive.

What if we just really care about Majir getting lots of ModStatistics data? :shrug:

I was actually about to get crackin' on a script that would also use a proxy list for additional obfuscation.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mister Bates posted:

loving Christ, 64-bit KSP crashes all the time. It's not even playable, it randomly crashes in the VAB. First time I got a crash when selecting the stock basic SRB, second time I got a crash when selecting the stock command pod, third time I got a crash when clicking on the VAB building.

They've been pretty straightforward on it being an experimental thing. Look into collecting logs and posting them to the ksp bug forums.

I'm going to have to make the 64-bit switch soon to keep adding mods as they're updated for .24, hoping it works out OK.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Arsonide posted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1032313/ExtraContracts-03a.zip

New version of Extra Contracts available, has the source in it - be gentle :(

I've solidified what I will be adding tomorrow. Requests to build stations and bases. They're similar so both should be pretty simple to add. Of course I'll keep tweaking rover missions as well. Glad that these things finally have a purpose in the game, albeit a minor one for now.

This is super cool and the idea of additional types of contracts is what I'm most excited about with mods in .24.

Have you made a thread on the ksp add-on release/showcase forum yet? I didn't spot one.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Arsonide posted:

It's in the development forum, not the showcase forum. I'm not super confident in the stability of this yet, and I want to add more content today in the form of bases and stations as I collect and resolve any bug reports from people trying out rover missions.

Once those are in, I'll probably release for real. The station contracts are going to be fun. OBJECTIVE: 40 CREW CAPACITY. That'll definitely give some long term goals.

That's awesome, you're awesome.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Arsonide posted:

Finally got these fuckers working.

That looks like exactly the motivation I need to put all the station science stuff to work!

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Tamba posted:

Why won't those ships dock? Are the docking ports oriented the wrong way or something?

Is there any attraction at all? The alignment doesn't appear to be great but the ports aren't backwards or anything. Maybe turn SAS off & see if they click together better, sometimes it's that.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I like using science mods like StationScience, DMagic, and ScanSAT with tech tree/parts mods like NearFuture (I guess interstellar does this too?). Adds a lot of length to the game and utility to all that science one tends to amass.

The current balance with all of those running doesn't seem too bad, actually.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sam Hall posted:

It's literally just C7's model with the edge split modifier turned off (possibly accidentally) and a less detailed texture. It looks lousy and it'll look even worse in-engine. Squad, come the gently caress on. It can't possibly be this hard to find art people who will fit into your budget.

I think there's nicer ways to say that.

I like new content, I don't much care what it looks like. I'll be infinitely excited for every release.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Keiya posted:

Photosensitive epilepsy warning, jesus christ!

I died at :2bong: pott manley :2bong:

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Maxmaps posted:

I wouldn't call it a bug as much as an oversight but yeah, we're on it. Not a whole lot of people playing past 1080p still.

1440p krewe :colbert:

e: also the game is even more unbelievably gorgeous with the resolution and AA completely cranked.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Shot in the dark here: if Squad has been watching ANYTHING Arsonide has been doing, they have contracted him to make loads and loads of new contract types for KSP.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Colon Semicolon posted:

Can I ask why the gently caress the data being sent back is dangerous to a PC or even why people should give a poo poo? isn't it just simple poo poo like what mods you use? Isn't that just all it does?

One example: it's designed to auto-update but not verify the packages downloaded from the update server, making that an easy attack vector.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Arsonide posted:

Hrm, biggest feature that we probably wouldn't guess...they're adding logging systems to see where Kerbals have been even though there are only like ten locations to go to? A feature spread out among two patches?

I'm going to go way out there, and say new star systems.

And the first contract I'll get with Fine Print will be to haul a loving Class E Asteroid out to make a station somewhere

e: :sympathy: I love your mod.

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 20, 2014

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Luneshot posted:

As someone who plants a flag in every biome I visit: please forward my thanks as well, because such a small change can make a huge difference.

Seriously. I would have never thought to bug anyone about this but man am I glad that this is happening.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I got an update in steam, launched & still had .24 :(

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

First spaceplane I've made that can easily make it to orbit.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

JohnSherman posted:

Any chance I could get the craft file for this? I attempted to replicateshamelessly steal it, but I seem to have weird CoM issues.

Sure thing:

http://pastebin.com/JXCJ0uDd

1 to switch from jets to aerospikes, rcs keeps it stable getting into space.

the wings are built around the aerospikes, if I weren't so lazy I'd swap out for a single I think.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

JohnSherman posted:

Thanks a lot. I must be flying it wrong, because at about 9000 feet it just pitches forward and starts flipping, and nothing I can do stops it.

It is a pretty bitchin' looking space dragster though.

I'm so sorry dude I didn't mention: I'm using NEAR

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Really having a blast with the stock spaceplane parts. I launch most of these rocket assisted, started parking them all outside the hangar after landing.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I tried the update without knowing about the new game mechanics and made this :haw: move:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
This is much, much harder & I am actually working to get out of the lower tech tiers.

I like it, fantastic work on the devs' behalf.

• Locked thread