Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I guess I'm not sure what people wanted? I mean part of why we knew what was coming was because it made sense that it was coming and followed naturally from the ideas they already introduced. Z2.2 introduced Geass R2, 00 S2, Tetsujin 28-Go and brought Macross 7 back. (It technically introduced Dynamite and the Frontier movie too.)

Except for Tetsujin which was a legitimate surprise every single one of those series was plainly foreshadowed during Z2.1. Z3.1 followed the exact same thing. We knew what was coming because it made sense that it was coming.

I think introducing series that make sense is a better sign they're actually going to put effort into doing good crossover stuff as opposed to randomly tossing in Gundam Build Fighters because it aired recently.
The issues I've been seeing seem to stem from a couple of places:

--People are upset that Lavaetin's big debut in any animated format seems to be handled by the Mithril Arm Slaves team, who are very new to this business and were a low point in Z3.1's animations.
--People wanted everyone from Z1/Z2 back, and that is pissing people off. Eureka 7 is probably the biggest omission that's sent everyone into frothing rage because of how involved it was in building the Z universe. But, the anger is mostly likely because of...
--Gargantia. Here's the elephant in the room. Because it was so unexpected, it has unfortunately become the magnet/fall guy for 99% of the anger at the cast list, to the point where people foolishly keep on begging for the second PV to reveal more series. Also, the way the series got into the game is being presented (probably incorrectly) as "the show's staff begged to get into this game either by themselves or through Sugita talking to Terada". But, I'm willing to bet the bulk of the stuff aimed at Gargantia (like the "Please let there be more shows added in PV2!" gang) are due to the internet trolls being their usual selves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, I mean, Gargantia is like one fairly low-powered robot and five grunts. It's not like it's going to be 18 units, 10 bosses, and 15 grunts like, say, Geass in Z2.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Light Gun Man posted:

Mazinger Angels :getin:

I so wish.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Hokuto posted:

I so wish.

Me too, I've probably said it like 10 times in this thread already. It was a fun manga and seems like perfect SRW bait.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Shin Mazinger is an amazing show and I am glad Z2 came along and made me realize it existed.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Ive decided to start contributing the Akurasu wiki, starting with adding to the SRWZ1's Pilot Database

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I don't think Gargantia was all that unexpected, although I don't think anyone would've pegged it as the only recent show to get in. Doing it this way actually does the show some favors though, as it'll have a lot more room to breathe, plot-wise, and it can get a good amount of face time for the units it does have.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It also avoids the SEED problem of introducing something in the last game whose plot sort of required it dominate huge chunks of the setting. If they're already doing a post-apocalyptic Earth (as they probably are with Q being introduced and Turn-A/X/ect coming back) it's fairly easy to work Gargantia in and even the existence of the Galactic Federation can be conveniently written off by Ledo having been teleported elsewhere.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

ImpAtom posted:

It also avoids the SEED problem of introducing something in the last game whose plot sort of required it dominate huge chunks of the setting. If they're already doing a post-apocalyptic Earth (as they probably are with Q being introduced and Turn-A/X/ect coming back) it's fairly easy to work Gargantia in and even the existence of the Galactic Federation can be conveniently written off by Ledo having been teleported elsewhere.

Plus the whole 'all the world is covered by water' thing can be just either toned down into sea levels just generally being higher but there's still land, or that the people in the fleets are circling the Pacific Ocean without realising what's really out there. Honestly, I can see a number of plot parallels with Turn A, from the whole 'ancient weaponry dug up to fight new battles' schtick, to both of the main characters having to take in and understand what 'normal' humanity (by the setting's standard) is. It'd be kinda neat to have the military born and bred Ledo put against the more peace loving (if never lucky) Loran.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It also means that Ledo can have interaction with the Scarred Child Soldier Brigade. Between Chirico, Setsuna, Heero and Sousuke, he's got a lot of potential mentors.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Not looking forward to a bunch of water levels, though there aren't a ton of non-flying units in the Z series.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I guess it's largely because this is the end of the Z series which has gone across numerous dimensions and involved thousands of years of legends and backstory and powers beyond comprehension, and for the big finale people were like, oh man we want something BIG oh man GaoGaiGar or Ideon, maybe they'll even put in Bokurano or something, and things have been building up to a massive finish so it's surprising that the main big unexpected new show is...a really humble, low-key thing on a backwater planet where things are peaceful and the big decisive battle in the show is against what amounts to a Gelgoog and some cultists armed with construction equipment on legs, and in the end not much was at stake in the first place, it's practically more a conflict of the protagonist and his past than something all that tangible.

I like Gargantia a lot! And I trust Banpresto will do good things. There's a lot of interesting crossover material - a lot of elements of the show are pretty much Turn A but with oceans instead of mountains. Personally I think the show would do better in a setting designed around that, where things are fairly low-tech and a very shiny Zaku is something legitimately disruptive to the global balance of power. I figure a good gimmick for it in that situation is that it's immensely powerful at the start, but it only has a handful of bars of upgrades since in a world like say, Xabungle's, all the money in the world wouldn't be able to improve what's already totally incomprehensible technology. The end of Z3 is just a really strange place for it, more or less, since there's dozens of well-understood super robots that can do all that stuff and more hanging around. It actually would've been a good fit for Z1 (but it didn't exist at the time), since there's a lot of mysterious black box technologies awakening left and right there, and the Rivalry Zones could've caused those hardy ocean survivors to be functionally trapped in a seemingly endless ocean.

Z3 is just WEIRD so far in general though, so I guess it makes sense. Like. As soon as Z2 was announced it was plain as day what it was about, because a lot of the shows involve semi-terrorist elements fighting against an oppressive world order. And the split up into halves made sense since most of those shows also were split in two. And they were all the hit shows of 2007ish at the same time to boot! It was Hell Yeah The Game. People were doubting ever getting Gurren Lagann or Code Geass or Votoms or Dai-Guard or even Gundam Wing again and here they were all in one game. And everyone from Z1 was back to boot. And also the second half finally debut the grandpappy of super robots himself (albeit the 80s version but eh. the more faithful-ish 2004 one is kind of hard to do since it is VERY MUCH about WWII and not having WWII specifically takes a lot out of that show). So it's kind of easy to assume people would figure Z3 would be more of that but even bigger and badder since it's on a higher spec system, but it turned out a totally different thing that didn't have much unifying factor to its shows and cut a lot of the cast. There are reasons, both in a meta sense and production sense. Licenses don't last forever and voice acting is expensive. But fans will always be picky! That's the burden of crossover, people will get cranky if you leave stuff out. Banpresto knows their poo poo though, I'm pretty sure, so have faith!

oh my god so many :words: how do I keep doing this, it was only like five minutes of typing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem with going 'bigger' is that bigger isn't always better when it comes to scale. GaoGaiGar, especially being shoved into a single game at the end of a trilogy, would only be a sop to Clawshrimpy-style fanboys who demand GaoGaiGar in everything and treat it like the pinnacle of mecha anime.

The Z series in general is quite good about not falling into the trap of "really big scale = most important." Gurren-Lagann has the biggest scale of any show on the market but they treat it very carefully because of that as opposed to Alpha 3's constant nonstop universe-end apocolypses. It has smaller-scale shows but in doing so it puts greater emphasis on the smaller-scale emotions built up to huge things. That is part of why the Spheres are what they are. They're human emotions amplified.

This is also why the series selection they've chosen is significant. Every single show is about human emotions being amplified into something big. It's the gimmick in FMP. It's certainly a huge part of Evangelion Rebuild. It's Unicorn in a nutshell. And Gargantia is about human emotions through the lens of a protagonist regaining them. Diebuster is probably the biggest-scale of the new shows and even then it, like Gunbuster, has giant scale as a standpoint for the emotions and development of the person piloting it.

It's part of what makes the Z series interesting and why their use of smaller-scale robots becoming something huge is interesting. It puts a heavy emphasis on characterization. The shows involved and the conflicts involve may become large in scale but the large scale is secondary to the characterization of the people involved. The size doesn't matter, the emotions involved do.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
No but really, ZZ would have been so perfect. Can you even imagine Unicorn's second half with the ZZ crew running around?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

No but really, ZZ would have been so perfect. Can you even imagine Unicorn's second half with the ZZ crew running around?

I find the lack of ZZ more interesting because it means we don't know where the Neo-Zeon plotline is going! Char has effectively abandoned them! Haman is in charge of Gyunei and working alongside Full Frontal and what does all this mean?

Also if they used ZZ Gundam they couldn't record new voicework for the Purus interacting with Marida which is like the most worthwhile part of that exercise. :smith:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Not looking forward to a bunch of water levels, though there aren't a ton of non-flying units in the Z series.
On the flipside, Shin Getter 3 is drooling with excitement at the fact that it finally gets to kick rear end in its natural environment.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
I'm honestly kind of surprised that they didn't add Buddy Complex. I mean, sure it wasn't very interesting in execution, but it wasn't a terrible show and SRW has fixed this problem many times in the past. But if any series could justify a twin system, it's that one.

Also, the music is fantastic and that's what really matters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Televisio Frankus posted:

I'm honestly kind of surprised that they didn't add Buddy Complex. I mean, sure it wasn't very interesting in execution, but it wasn't a terrible show and SRW has fixed this problem many times in the past. But if any series could justify a twin system, it's that one.

Also, the music is fantastic and that's what really matters.

Buddy Complex was supposedly a pretty big flop. The ongoing rumor I've seen on Japanese MBs is that Cross Ange (that delightful pile of poo poo) was actually thrown together quickly to replace what was going to be Buddy Complex's second half which is instead being shoved into an OAV. Just from a marketing standpoint I assume there was no strong push to include it and no strong emotions to get it included despite that.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Yeah the Unicorn plot is going to be bizarre. Neo Zeon was just defeated and abandoned by Char himself. Are there even anymore evil factions that the Sleeves could reasonably team up with? Instead of the newtype ghosts that tell Full Frontal that he is being dumb the living characters themselves can just tell him to his face. Whatever happens we better get peg legged Kshatriya.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

Yeah the Unicorn plot is going to be bizarre. Neo Zeon was just defeated and abandoned by Char himself. Are there even anymore evil factions that the Sleeves could reasonably team up with? Instead of the newtype ghosts that tell Full Frontal that he is being dumb the living characters themselves can just tell him to his face. Whatever happens we better get peg legged Kshatriya.

Well, Z Full Frontal isn't the same as Unicorn Full Frontal. He's strongly implied to be in some fashion an actual Char from a different timeline.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Buddy Complex was supposedly a pretty big flop. The ongoing rumor I've seen on Japanese MBs is that Cross Ange (that delightful pile of poo poo) was actually thrown together quickly to replace what was going to be Buddy Complex's second half which is instead being shoved into an OAV. Just from a marketing standpoint I assume there was no strong push to include it and no strong emotions to get it included despite that.

I can see why it flopped, being kind of bland and all, but it's good SRW material since it wouldn't take much to fix it. It's a shame really, because the time shenanigans used in show would have been great if executed a lot better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Televisio Frankus posted:

I can see why it flopped, being kind of bland and all, but it's good SRW material since it wouldn't take much to fix it. It's a shame really, because the time shenanigans used in show would have been great if executed a lot better.

Assuming the SRW franchise keeps on keeping on, I'm sure it'll get in eventually, but it's in a lineup with stuff like Valvrave, MJP, two Gundam shows, and eventually stuff like Aldnoah Zero or Argenvollen, as well as two more Gundam shows.

The upcoming years of SRW are gonna be 'interesting' to say the least.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That's a shame. I thought Buddy Complex was pretty fun for what it was.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

ImpAtom posted:

The OVA aired a while back, and it kinda made me sad. There was clearly a bigger plan for that show that had to get shoved into a two-part special, and whilst it actually has some superb pacing at points as a result, the final plot resolution comes far, far too quickly. It also gives an idea of how the show could have looked with a bigger (instead of in this case, more concentrated) budget, from at least an animation standpoint - for which I gotta say, it looked pretty good. Unfortunately I doubt a free to play mobile game based on a late night original series, with no major 'quirk' to fascinate people (whether good or bad) made a lot of money to help offset the undoubted lack of general sales.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Considering that Buddy Complex for all intents and purposes wanted to be Gundam SEED without the space colonies I'm sure it will eventually find a way to fit in.

Heck, between it, SEED, and Geass you're going to have the most crowded deserted island of all time.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

ImpAtom posted:

It also means that Ledo can have interaction with the Scarred Child Soldier Brigade. Between Chirico, Setsuna, Heero and Sousuke, he's got a lot of potential mentors.

It kind of runs counter to the entire point of the series to have him hanging out with active duty soldiers though. So that'll be fun.

Also, I wouldn't count on Gundam The Origin adding alot of new units. I think the first episode covers the Battle of Solomon, which means standard issue Zakus versus scrub-tier battleships.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 14, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I need to finish the Alpha series quickly so I can move on to the Z series. Maybe by April I'll actually be caught up and ready for the new game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

Heck, between it, SEED, and Geass you're going to have the most crowded deserted island of all time.
and then it turns out that it was Hell Island the whole time

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

and then it turns out that it was Hell Island the whole time

Or it could be Doan's Island instead and therefore awesome.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Can anybody tell me if this dude is cheating on this Z1 playthrough I found on NicoNico?

what the gently caress is it with people and lovely srw playthroughs? i can only name like a handful and ALL of them are Japanese only

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'll look it over and get back to you when it loads properly.

Edit: It says it uses a Pro Action Replay at the start.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Race Realists posted:

Can anybody tell me if this dude is cheating on this Z1 playthrough I found on NicoNico?

what the gently caress is it with people and lovely srw playthroughs? i can only name like a handful and ALL of them are Japanese only

Super Robot Wars is a fairly niche franchise. I'd be shocked if there are even a few thousand people who play it outside of Japan and a fraction of those understand the game. So it isn't really a case where there's a lot of people to play it.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
meant to say i can only name a handful of playthroughs that are done competently :v:

Hokuto posted:

I'll look it over and get back to you when it loads properly.

Edit: It says it uses a Pro Action Replay at the start.

im trying to find out what exactly the cheat was. And what exactly is SP mode?

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 14, 2014

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Hitler is angry about SRW Tengoku-Hen

BONUS: Japanese Hitler is also angry about Tengoku-Hen

Didn't even realize that meme actually existed in Japan.

I think it's a pretty good sum-off of people's grievances towards the announcement, "justified" or not.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
haha, i knew it was only a matter of time before you guys found that

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Race Realists posted:

im trying to find out what exactly the cheat was. And what exactly is SP mode?

Special Mode gives you 15 upgrade slots for everybody and 1 of each item. Normally it requires clearing the game with both main characters, which would then give you carryover money, kill counts, and PP. This guy uses a PAR to unlock Special Mode without carryover data in order to not get any carryover bonuses, because he wants to play a fresh game in SP mode.

He also mentions he wanted to use a code to cut out BGM but it randomly worked and didn't, so he opted to leave that one out. The Special Mode unlock is the only code he used.

Edit: He also notes that if anyone can give him a stable BGM code, he reserves the right to use that one too.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 14, 2014

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
AHH, ethical cheating

that takes me back

I guess I can watch it if the cheating isnt that egregious.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Actually Hitler is really happy in this video if you read the subtitles. They joke about it. The soldiers say 'If you don't do the berserk rage thing this gets awkward' and Hitler responds 'Are you going to rain on my parade?' and is gleeing all over the new series and stuff. Good on ya Japanese SRW fans, finally lampshading this over-used meme.

Edit: Well, he does rage a little after they tell him to but he prefaces it by saying he's only doing it because they want him to and nothing he says will downplay the positives.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Race Realists posted:

AHH, ethical cheating

that takes me back

I guess I can watch it if the cheating isnt that egregious.
His justification is that the game's just too much of a pushover normally, and it's too tedious to keep track of getting all the items. The 1 squad limitation is to challenge himself, and he means to get as many skill points and secrets as he can reasonably acquire while still achieving his goal of 300 turns total or less.

He also admits that this will probably become a "Musou game" with the 1 squad over time. Also there are no restrictions on forced launches, just selectable ones.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sounds like it'll come down to just what grotesquely overpowered squad he'll end up using. There's just so many possibilities.

• Locked thread