Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Policenaut posted:

So I've been going through Z3.1 and can anyone tell me how I'm supposed to pull off that SR point for level 18? The one where you have to shoot down the UFO before Black Ox is shot down, but Ox is an NPC who runs face first into the nearest mob of robots and dies in a few turns. Am I supposed to rush the UFO or is there some kind of in-battle way to link single robots up into a tag team so I can babysit Ox on one end of the map, or am I just supposed to dump a shitload of money into him to make him invulnerable and give him D-trader poo poo?

It wouldn't matter, he has NPC stats and I know he doesn't respect equipment as an NPC.

I'm pretty sure I managed that chapter just by rushing everyone ahead of him as hard as possible and prioritizing enemies near him so he wouldn't get into combat on his turn. The proper way is to leave a bit of chaff behind (UFOs, most likely) to play with so he stays behind on his own with a small cluster of weak enemies he'll preferentially attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, in any stage where you have to protect a yellow NPC, always leave mooks behind for them to kill. It makes it pretty trivial.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Another easy trick is to limit Black Ox's movement. He can move through your units, but he can't move into them, since they can't occupy the same space. Have units sitting at the edges of his move range, and he'll move less far on his turn.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I think you can heal it, too, despite it being an NPC.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nephrite posted:

I think you can heal it, too, despite it being an NPC.
I'm not sure about using trust on it, but you can definitely repair it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Also Tereda is apparently saying that he might retire after Z is finished.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pros: Playable Titania, Harute actually gets different unit for Final Mission pack rather than it just being an attack like I expected.

Cons: Wow Chambers still looks kinda awful.

Odds: They renamed Marida to Puru 12. I wonder how the hell they're gonna work that out without passing through ZZ plot.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Infinity Gaia posted:

Pros: Playable Titania, Harute actually gets different unit for Final Mission pack rather than it just being an attack like I expected.

Cons: Wow Chambers still looks kinda awful.

Odds: They renamed Marida to Puru 12. I wonder how the hell they're gonna work that out without passing through ZZ plot.

Doesn't Puru 12 just mean she got reset to 'factory settings?' And then Riddhe yells that she's piloting a Gundam despite hating them and that snaps her out of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Doesn't Puru 12 just mean she got reset to 'factory settings?' And then Riddhe yells that she's piloting a Gundam despite hating them and that snaps her out of it.

In the Z unvierse Marida is a prototype to explain how she can exist without ZZ Gundam.

They can explain it as Puru 12 just being her factory name though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm pretty sure she's called a prototype even in the show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm pretty sure she's called a prototype even in the show.

Nah, in the show she's one of the Purus from the final battle of ZZ Gundam. They recovered her and her Quebely. She even has a flashback to it. She's literally the 12th Puru clone.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
As much as I'd like to see ZZ Gundam in, reconciling her age with Puru 1 and Puru 2 would have been...interesting. Not impossible I guess depending what they do with the ending of Z3.1, but it would be slightly convoluted at best.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if they went the prototype route they could just say she was made to artifically age faster through science so that she could be combat-ready quicker, but the process made her slightly more unstable which is why they didnt use it for the full-production ones

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Endorph posted:

if they went the prototype route they could just say she was made to artifically age faster through science so that she could be combat-ready quicker, but the process made her slightly more unstable which is why they didnt use it for the full-production ones

Out of every explanation that would make the most sense. How did they explain 1 year passing for Code Geass, 3 weeks in Wing, 7 years passing for 00/Gurren Lagann, and 10+ years for Getter Robo Armageddon? Wasn't that just "Dimension quakes are fuckin' weird, yo."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

TARDISman posted:

Out of every explanation that would make the most sense. How did they explain 1 year passing for Code Geass, 3 weeks in Wing, 7 years passing for 00/Gurren Lagann, and 10+ years for Getter Robo Armageddon? Wasn't that just "Dimension quakes are fuckin' weird, yo."

The timeskip in Z2 was a matter of months, but GL and Getter definitely spent it together in an accelerated time vortex. I can't for the life of me remember if or how they explained 00, though.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Caphi posted:

The timeskip in Z2 was a matter of months, but GL and Getter definitely spent it together in an accelerated time vortex. I can't for the life of me remember if or how they explained 00, though.

00 was just taken as part of the original timeskip. Yes, Setsuna looks years older, but it was the exact same amount of time that every other series besides the ones on the Dark Continent went through.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Irisize posted:

00 was just taken as part of the original timeskip. Yes, Setsuna looks years older, but it was the exact same amount of time that every other series besides the ones on the Dark Continent went through.

That's what I was afraid of. :sigh:

I thought that was it, but left open the possibility that I'd just forgotten it somehow.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

HiKaizer posted:

As much as I'd like to see ZZ Gundam in, reconciling her age with Puru 1 and Puru 2 would have been...interesting. Not impossible I guess depending what they do with the ending of Z3.1, but it would be slightly convoluted at best.

Z has the excuse of alternate dimensions for most temporal shenanigans.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Irisize posted:

That the 00 timeskip was even that long is actually news to me. I thought the characters looking different wasn't them getting older so much as just an art style change thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think fudging the 00 timeskip is a particularly big deal. The amount of time that passes is pretty inconsequential in the scheme of things and the character's ages never actually matter much. You can't really do it for G-L or whatever due to the extreme amount of time but for 00? Eh,

KoB
May 1, 2009
00 was 4 years between seasons, two years for the movie. But yeah in the end it doesnt really matter.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

It's just kind of strange seeing Setsuna so much older despite the fact that even the little kids look exactly the same.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm glad the Z3 site actually tells you when they're going to add stuff. Saves a lot of stress. I'm sure someone's not happy about knowing it's not going to do anything until February, but here we are.

Anyway, today's change is just the attack slides from whatever was featured in that magazine scan.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Caphi posted:

I'm glad the Z3 site actually tells you when they're going to add stuff. Saves a lot of stress. I'm sure someone's not happy about knowing it's not going to do anything until February, but here we are.

Anyway, today's change is just the attack slides from whatever was featured in that magazine scan.

At the very least it'll curb those fake "updates" that people like to post.

I would've liked something with a bit more substance than a few pictures if they're going to take a month break between posting things, though... :qq:

KoB
May 1, 2009
Eh, April is so close and the only real "surprise" theyve really got left would be a different main character, if theyre going to mimic Z2. Im content to just wait it out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I doubt we'll get a new main character since they already showed our current duo in the preview at the end of the first game.

Probably just the return of the previous Sphere Holders.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Am I crazy or are the BGMs in Z3.1 downright bad for the majority of the games? Were they deliberately lazy because of custom BGMs being added?

EDIT: Is there any chance of Terada retiring bringing an end to the series? Or would they just stick a new mook in his place?

Also, in those last scans there's a picture of Gaioh, is he making a return?

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 10, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That's just a recap of Z2

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I dunno most of the Z3.1 BGMs seem okay so far, I really like that Aquarion one but I'm pissed that Kallen doesn't have Previous Notice.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Seed music is even crappier than usual, but I'm fairly happy with the rest.

Speaking of Seed, why the hell is it still in Z and not a single one of the spinoffs ever?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Seed music is even crappier than usual, but I'm fairly happy with the rest.

Speaking of Seed, why the hell is it still in Z and not a single one of the spinoffs ever?

Because no one wants us to have stargazer.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I do want the first opening music from Gundam 00 back. That series has some good music but that will always be my favorite.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Verranicus posted:

EDIT: Is there any chance of Terada retiring bringing an end to the series? Or would they just stick a new mook in his place?

I don't think so, the series is Bandai Namco's biggest seller afaik and tops charts consistently, but who knows. It might be lovely for a bit as they try different replacements with the A and B teams. I hope it's not the end of the OG series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Given Japanese business practices, he'll probably be replaced with someone who's been around for nearly, if not just as, long, someone they can trust to keep the ship sailing in the same direction.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

I don't think so, the series is Bandai Namco's biggest seller afaik and tops charts consistently, but who knows. It might be lovely for a bit as they try different replacements with the A and B teams. I hope it's not the end of the OG series.

It isn't remotely Bandai-Namco's biggest seller. Dark Souls, Dragonball Z, Tales, Naruto, ect all sell better for the most part.

The SRW games sell pretty well but lack any form of overseas sales (unlike literally everything I mentioned above) and tend to have pretty abnormally high budgets (due to the extremely high amount of voice acting, licensing, sprite animation, ect.) They're probably not going to die if Terada retires but they're not assured super-sellers.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Am I crazy or are the BGMs in Z3.1 downright bad for the majority of the games? Were they deliberately lazy because of custom BGMs being added?

Also, in those last scans there's a picture of Gaioh, is he making a return?

He specifically said that even if he steps down its not the end of the series, he introduced one guy in particular that sort of implied was the guy who would replace him. I think he was the head on UX or something, recently.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't remotely Bandai-Namco's biggest seller. Dark Souls, Dragonball Z, Tales, Naruto, ect all sell better for the most part.

The SRW games sell pretty well but lack any form of overseas sales (unlike literally everything I mentioned above) and tend to have pretty abnormally high budgets (due to the extremely high amount of voice acting, licensing, sprite animation, ect.) They're probably not going to die if Terada retires but they're not assured super-sellers.

Yeah the thing I read massively overrated it. I do remember Z3.1 hitting quarter of a million combined sales in it's first 2 or 3 weeks of release though. The point is it sells copies so I expect at least one attempt without Terada. If nothing else they need to reuse all these new animations!

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Out of a lack of powerful mobile hardware/a perverse desire to try out old and janky games for myself, I'm starting to play through 3 (the SNES one) for the first time. I've tried looking through this thread for any info or advice, but it's a little tough to find because the title is not exactly search engine-friendly. Anything weird/extremely obtuse or obscure I should know before I begin?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Valentin posted:

Out of a lack of powerful mobile hardware/a perverse desire to try out old and janky games for myself, I'm starting to play through 3 (the SNES one) for the first time. I've tried looking through this thread for any info or advice, but it's a little tough to find because the title is not exactly search engine-friendly. Anything weird/extremely obtuse or obscure I should know before I begin?

You cant choose how to counter. The game will decide if it wants to counter/defend/dodge on its own. It will generally always counter with whatever weapon it wants and switches to defense too late.

Theres no penalty for losing to gain money/xp, since theres no SR points or anything.

I dont know which games you've played, but once people hit a certain level they can act twice per turn.

There are different routes for different unlocks which can give some pretty good stuff, like the Sazabi and stuff. Funnels are really good since they dont count as Beam weapons which are absorbed/negated by a lot of bosses.

The Getter Robo really starts to lag waaayyy before you get the Getter G, but its worth keeping them leveled.

You can also get the bonus final level if you deploy the Granzon on the final mission and have him survive. I wouldnt pump money into him though since he runs off with them.

KoB fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
SRW 3 (and really the rest of the classic timeline as well) have a reverse difficulty curve where the early parts of the game are the hardest. The game gets a lot easier as your good characters get more EXP and you get better robots. For example, any robot with a MAP attack is worth keeping around forever.

You can disable transformation animations. This is very handy for Getter Robo, who will be switching forms a lot to use spirits from all three pilots.

Characters and robots are heavily tiered. If something looks like crap, it's usually safe to shelve it when you get something better. For example Combattler V will never be good in the SNES version, because only Hyouma's spirits are accessible, and because it uses way too much EN on its attacks.

SRW 3 is much more encompassing than later games about counts as a beam for I-Fields, and I-Fields completely absorb beams as HP. The most notable is Getter Beam. You don't want to be healing a boss with that.

KoB posted:

Theres no penalty for losing to gain money/xp, since theres no SR points or anything.
Unlocking the bonus final level is based on staying below a certain total turn count for the whole game. Game overs keep the turns you spent on getting that money/EXP.

• Locked thread