Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, these games have at least made me somewhat familiar with...Katakana, I think? The characters they use to spell out engrishy poo poo like Gundam or non-Japanese names? I can sort of...pronounce those. Kind of.
"Gundam" was the very first thing I recognize in katakana, before I even knew what katakana was. Now I can pretty reliable read it, and usually the hard part is figuring out how to spell names and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Famitsu scans

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh, were the previous worlds ever called UCW and ADW before? I don't remember them having names, so they were just "the world ZEUTH is from" and "the world ZEXIS is from" to me.

And of course, both of them are crazy patchwork worlds themselves as well.

edit: the prologue seems to suggest that the story starts in UCW (the world of Z1), but I can't really tell.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 3, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The first scan there mentions Universal Century World (UCW) as the Z1 universe and Anno Domini World (ADW) as the Z2 universe. The prologue says that Zeuth crew went through the dimensional abyss at the end of Z2 in an effort to get back to UCW, but that they had no idea what new battles lay in store.

DLC stages:

Teacher & Partner (Free): Available after stage 4, rewards an auxiliary ISC
Turning Point (¥100): Available after stage 8, rewards a Quaintian sensor and magnetic coating
Farewell, Idol (¥100): Available after stage 8, rewards an inertial control system and precision scope lens
It's Not Easy Being a Salaryman (¥100): Available after stage 14, rewards a megabooster and Ikue's snack
The Form of Sincerity (¥150): Available after stage 16, rewards an autodefensor and trident-yaki
Psychic Operated (¥100): Available after stage 18, rewards a psychic reactor and booster
Soldiers, the World, and Peace (¥150): Available after stage 21, rewards a Crest of Hakai and propellant tank

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 3, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well those at least sound pretty interesting.

Also wow, the new main character's piloting suit looks ridiculous. How did I not notice that before?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

ShiunTouya posted:

Custom soundtrack does work for VITA and PS3. I guess they must have gotten a lot of questions about that.

Incoming Eve no Danpen for eeeerrything

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am never going to take that original pair seriously unless there's some drat good writing involved.

I mean seriously, that guy does not look like a highschooler and that chick does. Why can't it be vice versa?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I can't wait to play Z3!

In five years.

When I can afford another console.

:negative:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Macross 7 is still in. This pleases me.

Also, custom soundtracks? Trombe for everyone!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hellioning posted:

I am never going to take that original pair seriously unless there's some drat good writing involved.

I mean seriously, that guy does not look like a highschooler and that chick does. Why can't it be vice versa?

I think that's the whole point. I mean I would have liked it the other way too, but I'm thinking the entire point was to create the visual and personal disconnect between their roles and personalities/appearances.

Probably to tie into the Gemini theme in some way.

I've been hearing some stuff about the first four stages, and I gotta say it sounds... Well in some places it sounds like the series have reset, but that could just be the translators mucking up.

But we start the game off with FMP, then the SMS and finally the Mazinger Team and Watta round off the first four stages. Also the originals robot came from a dimensional quake.

So there's a lot of speculation abound, but it seems like we're getting into W hijinks rather than J hijinks.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

drat it all! Non battle conversations are still just text boxes with a portrait! :argh:

Also I like how they codified the games based on the lead gundam series.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 3, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

drat it all! Non battle conversations are still just text boxes with a portrait! :argh:
What exactly do you want? Anything more than that would require a huge amount of budget and time. The fact that dialogue is just talking heads is probably why they can afford to have so much plot in a fanservice crossover game.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Endorph posted:

What exactly do you want? Anything more than that would require a huge amount of budget and time. The fact that dialogue is just talking heads is probably why they can afford to have so much plot in a fanservice crossover game.

Something like this would be nice! But animated sprites are too much to ask for I guess, so at least half body stills like the previous mainline games would be nice. I would also like to find out if this is just the case for the Vita version.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Onmi posted:

I've been hearing some stuff about the first four stages, and I gotta say it sounds... Well in some places it sounds like the series have reset, but that could just be the translators mucking up.
It's probably the translators mucking up. Here's my translation of the stage summaries.

Stage 1: The Hope Called Taboo
A new dimensional quake, the "New World Dimensional Quake," has merged UCW, ADW, and several other parallel worlds into a new world. The people have accepted the changes, and they've been living peacefully. One day, a dimensional quake occurs near Jindai High School in Tokyo-2, and an unknown robot appears. Another robot appears with it, and Hibiki climbs into it, determined to protect the city.

Stage 2: The New Problem Boy in Class
A new transfer student arrives at Jindai High the day after the attack by the unknown robot. His name is Sousuke Sagara. Hibiki and Sousuke both question each other's background. They get into a fight, but the fight is interrupted by a terrorist attack. The terrorists include the Firebugs, a group that acted in secret in ADW.

Stage 3: A Watched Back
Hibiki's secret identity is becoming harder to maintain while fighting, so he opts to join the SMS and Mithril team. Ozma, the commanding officer, wants to improve cooperation in the ragtag team, and he splits the team members into pairs for training. What is Ozma's real goal in sending teams out with the worst comps possible...?

Stage 4: Campus Defense Force
Sousuke needs support, and he gets it. In addition to the entire SMS team, the Mazinger Team with Kouji, Sayaka, Boss, Nuke, and Mucha transfer to Jindai High. The elementary school kids, Shotaro and Watta (of the Takeo General Company), also join in to form the Campus Defense Force. But Count Brocken is coming after Kouji, and he attacks right after Kouji transfers!

Edit: Added spoiler tags

Edit 2:

Endorph posted:

Alpha and Alpha Gaiden had animated mouths (but not jaws) and blinking eyes for characters. In fact, they had dialogue boxes that filled one symbol at a time, and the mouths moved until the dialogue on that window finished. Unfortunately, the translations broke this functionality, because the on-off switch was the 「」 (Japanese quotation marks) at the beginning and end of each text window. You can still see the characters blink, though.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 3, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm going to have to get some japanese PSN cards for that DLC I think. Is Ebay about the best/easiest way to go about doing that?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
You can get a ¥10,000 card code for $115 at Play-Asia.

Or a ¥1,000 card for $15.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hokuto posted:

You can get a ¥10,000 card code for $115 at Play-Asia.

Or a ¥1,000 card for $15.

Wow, that's far less expensive. Do they ship it or email the code?

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!
It's a bit cheaper on Nippon-Yasan at 106 USD for the ¥10,000 card code. The ¥3,000 card costs 36 USD, but they don't have ¥1,000 codes.

I got mine from here and the service was fast, but that might be because I ordered it during the weekdays at office hours.

ShiunTouya fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 3, 2014

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There is also

http://www.solarisjapan.com/categories/Next-Gen/Pointcards/

http://www.japan-codes.com/product-category/playstation-network-card/

Solaris requires some kind of identity check so there will be hoops to jump through with them. Neither service is as fast as play-asia, since that's instant. I've used both and haven't been ripped off yet, but I am not guaranteeing anything here.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Levantine posted:

Wow, that's far less expensive. Do they ship it or email the code?

Play-Asia has the code listed on your order page after you pay for it. Looks like Nippon-Yasan also says they e-mail it within 24 hours.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Hm, maybe I'll just order Z3 and the code a the same time. The price at playasia isn't bad for either.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
You could just get the ¥10,000 card and buy the game and DLC both digitally. That's what I'm doing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hokuto posted:

You could just get the ¥10,000 card and buy the game and DLC both digitally. That's what I'm doing.

My PS3 is a launch 60GB and it's a pain shuffling all my digital stuff on and off the HD. I'd have to delete a game I'm playing now to get SRW so I tend to go physical whenever I can. Shame PS4 isn't backwards compatible.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Team at the end of Stage 15 (apparently)

Trider, Shuttle, Tetsujin, Black Ox, God Mars, Spacecrusher, Scopedog (Chirico), VOTOMS dude, UC gundam x 2, Methuss (Fa), Gundam MK II (Camille), ReGZ (Amuro), ReZEL Commander type (Ridhe), Unicorn (Banana), Altron, Deathscythe Hell, Talgeese III, Taurus (Noin), Taurus (Hilde), Destiny, Dancougar Nova, Ozma, Canaria, Klan, Michel, Alto, Luka, Kouji, Sayaka, Boss, Daiguard, Clouseau, Mao, Kurtz, Sousuke (Arbalest), Gurren Lagann, King Kittan (Spiral Weaponry), Yoko, EVA 01. EVA 00, Gurren SAITEN, Lancelot Frontier

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Wow, they gotta be moving through FMP's plot like nobody's business to get Clouseau that early, if memory serves he doesn't even fight until the last half of Second Raid.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So no Impulse Gundam? Darn.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There is something very silly about Kamille upgrading to Zeta when Amuro and Riddhe are both using upgraded Zetas.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that biosensor.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I really hope the Tokyo-3 from Eva is named that because there are two other Tokyo's that have merged into the world.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, so the worlds are merging back together again? It's gonna be even harder for me to remember who and who are original world buddies, or maybe it doesn't matter anymore. Also, I guess that's an opportunity to do what I said before and get rid of that extra Japan, which has outlived its usefulness and is only a source of confusion.

I'll definitely be getting a 5000 yen card from Play Asia here pretty soon, since I have about 4000 yen left over from some previous purchases.

edit: is the ocean red in this new world? Or just some of the ocean?

edit: I guess GX and Turn-A are both out, so there's no need for confusion regarding the moon either...except maybe between Gurren Lagann and Aquarion EVOL?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 3, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
For the record, the Tokyo 2 listed in the stage summary is 第2新東京市, so it's definitely the Evangelion one specifically, and I see no reason why they would depart from that naming scheme for Tokyo 3.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Early stage spoilers stuff.

How could Z1 and Z2 worlds merge? That seems suspect. What happens to duplicate characters? Doesn't that kind of negate the parts in the previous two games about fixing the governments of the merged worlds. What was the point of anything except the original plots at that point if nothing the protagonists did actually stuck.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Why would you say that nothing they did stuck? Also, the summary mentions people living peacefully. That seems to point to peaceful governments to me. Merging doesn't mean a reset. It means merging. And it's probably partial merging that leaves out the bits not included in Z3, too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
And everyone on every Earth is completely used to it by now. People wake up and look out the window and see a new extra moon in the sky and unknown giant robots stomping and say eh, and go back to sleep.

edit: It's funny to try to think of the government implications for a world like that. I wonder if there are rednecks waving around signs saying "dimensional immigrants took my job!" and politicians have to appease them by promising to secure the world's dimension borders.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 3, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Onmi posted:

Team at the end of Stage 15 (apparently)

Trider, Shuttle, Tetsujin, Black Ox, God Mars, Spacecrusher, Scopedog (Chirico), VOTOMS dude, UC gundam x 2, Methuss (Fa), Gundam MK II (Camille), ReGZ (Amuro), ReZEL Commander type (Ridhe), Unicorn (Banana), Altron, Deathscythe Hell, Talgeese III, Taurus (Noin), Taurus (Hilde), Destiny, Dancougar Nova, Ozma, Canaria, Klan, Michel, Alto, Luka, Kouji, Sayaka, Boss, Daiguard, Clouseau, Mao, Kurtz, Sousuke (Arbalest), Gurren Lagann, King Kittan (Spiral Weaponry), Yoko, EVA 01. EVA 00, Gurren SAITEN, Lancelot Frontier
So the whole Wufei being an enemy during Endless Waltz is now getting turned into "Wufei betrays everyone at some point and sides with Mariemaia because JUSTICETM!"?

Odd, but then again, does anyone care about Wufei, aka Wing's favorite punching bag?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Odd, but then again, does anyone care about Wufei, aka Wing's favorite punching bag?

We grinders do, he's great for PP farming on those maps where he keeps coming rezzing when he dies :black101:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

vibratingsheep posted:

We grinders do, he's great for PP farming on those maps where he keeps coming rezzing when he dies :black101:
I meant as a character, not as one of the best fountains of EXP/PP/money.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Oh. Hell no. I pretty much only like Duo and Noin in the Wing cast.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

And everyone on every Earth is completely used to it by now. People wake up and look out the window and see a new extra moon in the sky and unknown giant robots stomping and say eh, and go back to sleep.

At this point, they probably don't even interrupt TV broadcasts to tell people about the 3rd Japan that popped up in the Pacific. That poo poo can just wait until the 10:00 news 'cause who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Shenlong is the only Wing lead suit to not show up in Build Fighters.

Nobody likes Wufei.

• Locked thread