Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Go hog wild and start with Alpha 3, it worked for me :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, just remember that he's supposed to be an old, dead-inside war veteran taking on the name of a dead politician and pretending he's half his age in the process of trying to stop war by killing the gently caress out of anyone with the power to wage it :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I hope Noriko hangs out with Ryouma some between games because I'm really missing her Alpha 3 yells there.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Clearly we need more Ryouma eyes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Z3 Black Getter seems to be lacking that amazing cut-in of him just beating the poo poo out of someone and that is an absolute travesty. Not to mention how goofy that gun he pulls instead looks.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Davzz posted:

(I enjoyed ACE:R but man, if you don't pick something that's ranged and strong...)

That's any ACE game, though. With possible exception of Black Getter in 3 the best unit is always Heavyarms.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

At least the melee suits were VIABLE in non-R. Nirvash was a fuckload of fun in 3, for instance, despite being pretty much entirely melee.

In R, if you're not ranged and flying, you're just hosed. Who the hell had the idea to make quite a few units incapable of flight and then have a major story focus be on Macross Frontier? That game was poorly designed in so many ways.

Nirvash had a lock on missile attack in the form of that frisbee thing doing all the work. Try doing regular missions with something like Epyon or God Gundam and see long it takes you to give up.

Flying I'll give you. Pretty sure there's nothing that can't fly in the PS2 games and I don't know why they'd do such a thing.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 5, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

I did more than it is probably considered sane with God Gundam due to sheer love of G. I freely admit it's pretty unimpressive, but at least it's not like Alteisen in R. I could actually reasonably fight things with the God Gundam, and at the very least it wrecked enemy aces really fast. Choukyu Haoh Deneidan helps a bit with clearing mooks, too.

I still refuse to believe he's worse than Epyon was in ACE 1.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A really surprising amount of PSP games look great when they aren't running on a PSP. I'm sure there are some that just can't be improved but you should see some of the screens in the PPSSPP thread.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

The what thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3628831

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

i want digimon

i mean, we had tekkaman blade

This but unironically with that season with the dude that punched out everything to make his cyborg dragon evolve.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sounds like it'll come down to just what grotesquely overpowered squad he'll end up using. There's just so many possibilities.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

WrightOfWay posted:

Yeah, the hard part is coming up with a squad with good sustainability. Even weak ALL attacks are either ammo based with 6-8 ammo or cost 30+ EN and that adds up when you only have 3 units to kill everything.

Figure out who has free PLA attacks and roll with it that way? They tend to be weak but he does have 15 upgrade slots.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The real question in my mind is how the gently caress are they going to handle Buster Machine 3

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I misread what game was being LPed and thought some madman was trying to do Alpha 3 with one quad only.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

I dunno stick a Zeal caster with a bunch of Hope bots in a squad with Banpreios and it might be possible.

Does that mission even have an "Ok, you can stop now." point?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MarsDragon posted:

It's "hold out for ten turns", isn't it? Or some other timelimit.

It's keep the enemy from entering a giant section of the map for several turns while they infinitely respawn. Random STMC units respawning in random locations at the edge of the map.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

As far as I know, the longest one anyone actually says (rather than just being shown on the screen) is Nono's designation, 地球帝国宇宙軍太陽系直掩部隊直属第六世代型恒星間航行決戦兵器 : earth empire space army solar system division sixth generation interstellar...oh gently caress it.

edit: to put this in a cultural perspective, there's a famous kabuki play that is nothing but Ishikawa Goemon and his band of thieves introducing themselves this way, so it's not just an anime or a gainax thing.

I think Monty Python did a skit like that with some Nazi officers on board a soon to be destroyed large vehicle of some sort, where they spend more time rattling off their "Obersturmbannführer"s and "Unterfeldwebel"s than getting the message across before the thing went down.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Midjack posted:

They're different.

And the same. FAZZ is a prototype for the Full Armor ZZ.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Of all the regularly appearing series in SRW, the one I understand the least is Gundam Wing. It just seems like no matter which games it's in, Alpha or Z or any side game, it's just one inexplicable thing after another. Characters fight against each other and immediately alongside each other again, for very unclear reasons. Also there's this whole absolute peace business that seems to come and go unrelated to anything else. Is the anime itself that way, or does SRW make it that way?

The protagonists are very loosely connected at the start and had vague and conflicting goals for what was essentially retaliation for some politician's murder. Then most of them fall in with Zechs and Relena's pacifist kingdom and there's this long bit where everyone starts rambling about their who their "true enemy" might be and Richboy bin Gayharem goes nuts asking the targetting computer of the new Gundam who his enemy is and Wufei somehow triple crosses every faction and lives. Then the movie happens, Wufei switches sides 2 or 3 more times and Heero fails to kill himself for the dozenth time and everyone's convinced that putting down the latest petty rebellion will bring lasting peace or something..

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just finished a stage in Z2-2 that I hadn't done before. Quatre is in the Wing Zero and just blew up a colony for some reason, and Heero and Trowa appear in some weird MSs that I had never seen before or since, in this or any other game. I have orders to destroy Quatre, and Heero and Trowa are attacking him too, but they will also attack us for some reason. Also there's some other guys that I have no idea what the gently caress they want attacking all three of us. It's probably the most confusing stage I have ever seen in SRW.

Prototypes for the Virgo scary black energy shield and beam cannon MSes that show up near the end of the series. I forget exactly why those 2 were in them but I think they were prisoners at the time maybe but being made to test the new stuff because reasons. Quatre's out of his mind and the other 2 are working for OZ so of course they're supposed to fight you.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 8, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fereydun posted:

gently caress white glint, let me play as nineball

that's not the main theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PjQnw_E0U

Well, you can play as Nineball Seraph in ACE:R. But I hear that game's pretty bad and it's one of the lots and lots of replays unlocks.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

J originals would be amusing just for having updated sprites for the world's most overdesigned super robot.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What is it with the Z series and attack animations that miss a bunch of shots?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I don't recall them ever fighting more than one thing at a time in Rebuild, so not having an ALL attack makes sense if they wanted to make them distinct from the usual EoE Evas.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Only took 4 games to make Dividing Driver actually do something.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I guess they really needed to dig to give King J-Der a finisher with no J-Phoenix in sight.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The part where Great Zeorymer does a combo attack with itself is the best.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

"Let's use the attack of those two bozos!"
"Okay!"
*Splits in two, does combo attack with itself*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGBZUJIWPTM

Because when your mecha is that powerful, it can just do stuff.

The best part being that it's one of his weakest attacks and you'll never use it because built in large energy regen.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Can't have Zeorymer without this

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Looks like no Dangan X and thus no Yuuki Aru Tatakai :/

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

"So what are we going to do for the AGE-FX's finisher?"
"Can't you just copy something from the show?"
"Well I can, but all it did in the show was just turn into a blue ball."
"..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T3OzRWIT6U

Even the AGE 1-2-FX combination attack gets dragged down by this.

Not like they haven't had V-MAX before :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GimmickMan posted:

Also is this the first time we got the alternate dragon brothers combinations?

W had them as actual units instead of what looks like just an attack animation here. W also gave them combo attacks for the uncombined bros and a regular Chouryuujin/Gekiryuujin combo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

Gaogaigar doesn't suffer too horribly in BX!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAHjAQDSuLQ

Mike Sounders 13 is just the saddest loving thing, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kugXS-jFKlw

Don't know why they even bothered with Mike if they weren't going to spring for Power of Desire and the Disk X song.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And inexplicably put New Getter Robo and Mazinkaiser SKL in just to gently caress with people.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And this pops in my head immediately https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOO7cT0ecOI

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Emuticus posted:

Was there actually any reason to use Shin Getter 3 in Alpha 3? It's been a while since I've played. I know in Alpha 1 there's a handful of water stages where Getter 3/Poseidon is useful, particularly the stages where you need to protect the Macross Quarter before you launch into space.

Does it maybe have a cheaper ALL attack than the other forms? I'm drawing a blank.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KoB posted:

Getter 1's only ALL is his best attack and like 100 EN so thats possible, but Im not sure.

Despite that I rigged it up so Ryouma more or less solo cleared the Giant Naked Rei map in about 3 turns.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Meanwhile the GGG FInal of Final stage ruined the Macross 7 songs for me :v: with that stupid infinite awaken loop.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MarsDragon posted:

I feel like I never used Fire Bomber to their full potential in Alpha because I never quite figured out that trick. I just used them to blast all my supers' will to 130 instantly and just streamroll the rest of the stage.

I never used Banpreios to clear a mission on its own either. Shameful.

You stack them in 2 squads so you can spam Power to the Dream and My Friends after applying all the buffs. Have a few people with the SP recovery and EN/ammo recovery spells in the aoe and stick someone with Awaken any squad you want to do the killing. In the mission I mentioned clones of Palparepa Prajna and Pia Decem Peak endlessly respawn when killed, almost always in range of Raideen's God Voice or ZZ's High Mega Cannon (both pilots bring their own Awaken to the party. And that's how 2 pilots I hardly used had over 1k kills each and I fully upgraded every unit on my first run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Never heard "crabstick" for a bad translation before. Where did that originate?

Mazinger Z HK subs.

• Locked thread