Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

So leaked Famitsu stuff is coming out. It may be grain-of-salt for the moment but the most noteworthy thing is that supposedly Z3 will be using the SRW Neo SP method instead of the traditional one

There's other stuff being reported which is hard to confirm. Famitsu has confirmed there is a big thing on the game in their latest issue tho'.
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201404/01050826.html

Game-wise it appears we're starting with Original, Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier and Mazinger.

I think we caught hints of Neo style spirits a few weeks back if my mind isn't playing tricks on me. There were spirit commands like Strike+, which we guessed applied the effect to the whole squad. Still good to hear since Neo spirits were cooler.

I am surprised to hear we don't have any starting Gundam stuff. I can't think of the last time you haven't had Gundam in the first 4 stages or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The combo system is fairly simple: Kill enemies and you build a combo which increases your damage and post-battle rewards. However any action you take without killing an enemy (including just moving units) lowers your combo by 1 instead.

Tag Tension is fairly straightfoward:
Killing enemies (and I believe leveling up) builds up a Tag Tension meter. You can spend this meter in five ways:

Activate Continuous Movement (no longer a skill)
Increase your PP for your next kill
Increase your Z-Chip gain for your next kill.
Restore your SP.
Activate a Maximum Break. (Increased damage, both pilots can attack at the same range, ignores barriers, uses the entire tension gauge.)

So the ideal way to do stages is to plan out long combo chains and then hit a boss character with either a Maximum Break or a Bonus PP/Bonus Z-Chip for maximum prizes.

Sweet baby Jesus. I was kinda bummed when you said continuous action was no longer a skill. Only to realize you can basically act forever so long as you keep killing things.

New favourite SRW. Hands down.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Yeah... I guess I'll say that this makes up for the fact I don't get any 00 gundam stuff until past the halfway point.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

It turns out that Z3-2 is gonna skip Gundam ZZ and go straight to Gundam ZZZ.

I was always partial to the ZZ that was just two zeta gundam models kitbashed together. Wish I still had the picture.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I can't decide which is better, that all the new animations for Kira's portraits make him look like a downs syndrome baby, or that his already crazy 5 cross map attack has been replaced with a 9 cross burst centred on him.

Seriously, it's like seven swell all over again, except the morale requirement is pitifully easy.

Edit: A burst that doesn't hit friendlies of course. I suppose they had to give him something to make up for the lack of a combination attack.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Nightingale is pretty much an obese Sazabi with poo poo bolted on to it for seemingly no reason and entirely hosed proportions. Why does its crotch need to be almost as long as its gun? What's the point of keeping the Sazabi's propellant tanks if you're just going to shove two bigger ones under the now even larger rear end? Why even make its rear end so big if you're not going to at least go the Qubeley route and throw in more funnels? Why move the funnels from small, easy to manage racks on the back to loving massive shoulders if you're not at least going to throw in a recharge rack? And of course, the kicker, why make something so loving huge if you're not going to give it an I-field like most other Mobile Armors? That shield isn't going to do poo poo.

It's just a clusterfuck of :psyduck: design and looks horrid. I'm glad it's only ever shown up in two SRW games, everyone should just try to forget it ever existed.

EDIT: V That's so amazingly stupid I believe it.

Also why is its rifle so gently caress ugly. Seriously, I have my Hi-Nu holding a bazooka for that exact reason, and Nightingale seems to have the same drat problem.

Caros
May 14, 2008

MechaX posted:

Couldn't pick up Z3 last paycheck due to bills 'n stuff, but given that people have had enough time to get through Z3, how are people liking it compared to other, or even recent SRW entries?

Great, but the 'incluson' of awakening of the trailblazer is a goddamned joke. 31 stages before you see a 00 unit and 49 before you get the quanta, which has the most bland as gently caress animations, including one they copied more or less wholesale from the 00.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eternal Volfogg posted:

What level weapons on your using on most of your main attackers? Being on HARD difficulty also affects hit rate/hp i believe, at least it has in the past for SRW's.

If you don't have solid twins set up where the assists can do close to as much damage as a mid-line move for the main pilot it can also be a little tricky. Serpents (the wing grunts with 8550) took me usually 2 attacks to take down, Talos' etc usually like 3 early on.

At least until i FUB'd Gurren lagann and just continuous action and kill like 7 squads per turn

Hard Mode gives the enemies three bars of upgrades in all categories as I understand it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I had never seen Nerv HQ from directly above before; I knew it was a pyramid and then a hole in the ground next to it, but it looks weirder and somehow creepier than I thought.

If Central Dogma is straight down there, what's all this talk about a million plates of armor between it and the surface?

I think its typically left open like that, but that they can slam shut said million plates of armor at will, that just made for a better look for a videogame.

Or I'm dumb, its far too early here.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

It'd be incredibly awkward to fit in, but I'm still going to hope for Build Fighters.

Right after ZZ and Victory get in again anyways because oh my god Banpresto why.

:) - Guys! The whole multiverse is about to coll-

:( - Shut the gently caress up, we're playing with models here!

Much as I'd like to see it, I don't expect Build Fighters in Z3.2 since they just announced a second season. I doubt they'd want to include only the first half of a series in their finale, since it'd make Build Fighters hard to include in the following series.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ethiser posted:

While I agree that Build Fighters won't be in Z3 saying they won't use it because they are making a new season is a crazy thing to say when they have used the Rebuild movies twice.

I did consider that, but I guess for me the difference is that they know the new Build Fighters series would be over probably some time in early 2015 so its probably easier to wait. Waiting for Rebuild to finish would mean not touching Eva until somewhere around 2062.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are there even any units in Unicorn with i-fields? Without i-fields (or that ridiculous shield that GP02 had) I don't see what a more powerful beam rifle even gets you, since normal beam rifles can pierce basically anything in UC (which is one of the reasons I like UC so much).

Unicorn does make a point of showing the various intensities of beam weapons that don't show up in most up stuff.

A lot of suits can take a shot or two from rapid fire weapons without being trashed, or can use their shields to soak a hit or two from even full powered rifles.

Nothing without an ifield soaks the beam magnum. If it hits the target the target is destroyed. Even if it misses it seems the the beam effect is actually larger than the shot itself, since a near miss in episode 2 wrecks a Geara Zulu.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tobias Grant posted:

Post-move MAP weapons aren't even that rare in Z3. Wing Zero, Big O, and the Frontier units all have MAP weapons that can fire after moving. I'm sure that I'm forgetting one or two.

The loving Guren? Seriously, after Wing Zero its the most ridiculous MAP attack in the game.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It's attack pattern is great. It can easily hit lined up enemies while also hitting other enemies nearby as well. It isn't as simple to wreck huge spread out groups as Heero but it's actually a lot better for bunched up groups of enemies, especially if you're chaining MAP attacks together.

Also since it is EN based and not ammo based you can get it off more times in a turn than Heero can, although that isn't strictly necessary.

I don't think I ever had to fire Heero more than twice, so its not too much of an issue either way, but fair points.

Caros
May 14, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

Keeng Keeng Keeeng~ah Gainer

I straight up don't like Gainer but goddamned if I didn't always put him in my SRW Z parties solely so I could get that theme music at will.

Sort of like Gaogaigar, but lovely.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

drat, they can't stop making shows that take place in the far future of UC, can they?

If Tomino wants to make a Gundam series and says it is in the future of UC, who is going to argue? At least its so far out ahead that there is a plausible reason why all the factions involved are different.

Caros
May 14, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

The ending of SEED is terrible for a long long list of reasons. They'd set up both sides of the war as super-evuuul, so all the good people on both sides decide to form their own third super-good side. YoU've got all these brand new super-wapons coming out of nowhere to make it seem as if they're some sort of climax going on. You have terrible villains, and good villains that suddenly become terrible. You've got some of the worst dialogue in an anime and Kira being really loving terrible at explaining why Genocide of the entire human race is wrong. You have a really boring final battle full of beam-spam and still shots.

The only parts I liked about the ending of SEED are Natarle, the random military guy who decides to shoot his obviously insane superior officer and the soudntrack. The rest is garbage.

If you think that Rau Le Creuset is a bad villain at the end of SEED then you are a sad, sad individual. SEED introduces precisely one new superweapon in its last ten episodes, which is actually less than even Mobile Suit Gundam, which had both the Solar System and the Solar Ray Cannon.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Policenaut posted:

So I just wrapped up a game and I was thinking of starting up Gundam Breaker 1 because why not I have some time to kill before Christmas, but does anyone have some kind of starter guide or whathaveyou? I took a quick look around and apparently the suggested guide is roughly an hour long series of videos! I'd really just rather have an article I can read that explains all the mechanics and maybe some screenshot pictures like the Gundam SEED Battle Destiny guide.

Depending on your budget you might be better off waiting since Gundam Breaker 2 is out slightly before christmas.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, when did a Koyasu-voiced character pilot Perfect Gundam and Perfect Zeong? The joke there that Perfect Strike and Epyon's pilots are both also Koyasu-voiced so I assume the other two are in the joke too.

Mu La Flaga (Koyasu) was the pilot of the Perfect strike, and Koyasu appears to have done voicework for Plamo-Kyoshiro, so that is probably where he did the Perfect Zeong.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I got perfect Strike and Epyon, I was wondering about Pefect Gundam and Perfect Zeong. That explains that.

Man I just cannot loving read some days. :negative:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Build Fighters Season 1 first, dammit.

And Majestic Prince, that too.

I do wonder if AGE is going to be the one Gundam Series that they just skip over. Because they've been doing them in order for years and years now, but I have to wonder if they're going to just go straight from 00 to Build Fighters, and ignore AGE entirely.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Sick.

I just started watching Reconguista in G because of all the praise and now I'm really hoping something from it shows up in this.

Yeah, as others said its doubtful that it'll show up. I expect if we get a new Gundam it'll probably (sadly) be AGE. We'll get the end of Unicorn, the 00 movie plotline that was missing from the first Z3, and maybe AGE. Build Fighters isn't going to show up until the next major series since it simply wouldn't fit in with anything they currently have, and Reconguista in G won't show up for a year or two until after it is finished.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

His name is actually Bullet, but that's not nearly as funny.

Also "Let's have a countdown to announce another countdown" is the best.

EDIT:

Somebody took the time to make an amazing sprite and a new background, but couldn't be assed to draw a portrait.

Maybe the game actually comes out tomorrow and its just one great surprise. Maybe... :negative:

Caros
May 14, 2008

TARDISman posted:

Rewatching the preview and goddamn the 00 Qan(T)'s teleport attack is cool as hell.

Yeah, its nice to see the Qan(T) doing something of actual value this game. I was so frustrated when I made the switch last time, because the animations for the 00 were so loving good that I was just itching to get the Quanta. Then I get it for the last ten stages or so and its just a big wet fart of 'eh, here are some attacks, I guess.'

Caros
May 14, 2008

Davzz posted:

I'm honestly not really one of the people who put @3 on some kind of super high pedestal, if you ask me my favourite out of all the Alpha games it's gonna be Alpha 1 or Gaiden.

But I can't really articulate why Z3-2 is disappointing even when I lowered my expectations a lot for it (well, IMO)

It's most likely what the "split-game" thing does to expectations, maybe.

I'm sort of on the same boat as you. I was looking forward to this preview this morning, but when it came time and I finished watching it I was left feeling... meh? I mean I know there is a lot of new stuff, they've got good 00 gundam stuff, the second half of Unicorn and a bunch of other plots that I will find interesting, but I think the problem is that it was all stuff that I was expecting.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Davzz posted:

Hitler is angry about SRW Tengoku-Hen

BONUS: Japanese Hitler is also angry about Tengoku-Hen

Didn't even realize that meme actually existed in Japan.

I think it's a pretty good sum-off of people's grievances towards the announcement, "justified" or not.

You know, its kind of weird but I don't think I've ever been linked one of those videos without getting at least a slight snicker out of it. Maybe its just because of hitler throwing a temper tantrum, but its always funny.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

Gundam Breaker 2 is now officially out on PSN!

Too bad I was dumb and ordered the physical version, so I won't be playing for a while still. Whoever got it digital, enjoy it for me.

What's worse is that if you didn't pre-order the digital copy you can't even seem to buy it at the moment. :negative:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

I forgot to check in about Gundam Breaker 2. Basically, it's really loving good. Also it now has an unnecessarily melodramatic story with actual cutscenes and poo poo. It's better than it sounds, people getting SUPER SERIOUS over gunpla is great. In terms of gameplay improvements, they improved so much this might as well be Gundam Breaker 3. The only complaint I have is that some crafting components for surprisingly low-tier poo poo are super hard to find for no real reason. I've crafted like 3 or 4 two-handed swords by now, but still not the lowest level one, because it requires a unique component I didn't find. Weird poo poo.

Basically poo poo is super good and everyone who's even a little bit interested should jump on it. Also if you trigger a unique mode (Trans-am, NT-D, etc) and your Burst mode at the same time the BGM changes to a song from the show and it's super cool.

Just chiming in, this is a very good summary of Gundam Breakers 2. The game honestly does feel like they just skipped over Gundam Breakers 2 and released 3 by mistake because they just knocked it out of the park in terms of quality of life improvements.

Without a doubt the biggest upgrade is that the new upgrade system lets you use what you want to use. In the original you spent the first 5-10 hours with some hideous franken-zaku hybrid because you simply didn't get introduced to anything worth having for quite some time. On top of that the obsolescence of parts happened very quickly, which meant that even when you found a deign that you liked you'd eventually end up having to trash it because you couldn't' complete stages anymore. By contrast Breakers 2 allows you to upgrade whatever parts you want to keep them more or less on the cutting edge without becoming overpowered. Likewise getting the parts you want is a lot easier because the store actually sells new kits at a reasonable rate, and parts for 'rare' suits tend to drop pretty briskly. I don't think I had to farm any design I wanted for more than three attempts, which is down from like... sixty in the original.

The gameplay is better, the enemy variety is vastly improved and on top of all of that the game has a story that is actually... kinda nifty as Gaia pointed out. The closest thing I can link it to is the Original mode from the original Gundam Musou. Its got mechs, places and attacks that you recognize, but portrayed in a way that you can still get at least a little invested in the story mode. The cut scene that happens between part one and part two of the story is actually fantastic and feels like a real gundam moment.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Midjack posted:

If it works like the last one, take him with you on some midgame missions and get him some parts that will be way overpowered for early game missions. :v:

This actually doesn't work very well on the new game. Most parts have a minimum level, and there is a pretty rapid change over of the upgrade parts you get. Parts you pick up in level 20 might not be at all useful to upgrade level 5 gamer for example.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

Add me if you want to break some Gundams together, Getsuya. I made a couple low-level suits for playing with /m/ so it should be alright no matter where you are. My PSN is InfinityGaiaJP. Incidentally, after playing with /m/, I found out the netcode for this is INSANELY good. I was playing with a guy who is literally across the world from me and it was nearly entirely lagless. I have no idea what mystical bullshit is going on, but it's great.

What do you expect from a game that appears to have been sent back from the future?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

GB2 sounds way more awesome than I expected so I'm gonna get it. PSN codes are on sale on play-asia right now btw, 10,000 yen cards are only $103. But some of that price drop represents the exchange rate back down to 120yen:$1.

Doubling down to say that yes, it is in fact very, very good. My sole complaint is that once you finish the 'story' the game takes a dramatic increase in difficulty that can be a little frustrating at first.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Midjack posted:

The first one had a pretty sharp post-game difficulty spike too.

Oh absoluely. That is the only thing that really hasn't been fixed between the two. I will say that it is still better than one, since at least if you get stuck you can pick a stage to farm and guarantee that you get the components you need for the level ups rather than just praying something drops. It could just use a little more smoothing out.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gyra_Solune posted:

Also note that the cockpit is not in fact the red thing at the tip, Saji's sitting somewhere in the central body of it. To be fair I'm not exactly sure what the O Raiser actually does, it has missiles and stuff on it but Setsuna never uses it. It seems to stabilize...something to make the 00 more powerful but I dunno why that is, let's be honest it's most likely just a thing to sell gunplas

And yeah Dancougar Nova works the same as the regular, making me uncertain what exactly the point of it is since the central robot is most of the Dancougar and it's not like the head or feet are storing any particular weaponry. I'd get why you'd think someone's in the fists what with the rocket punch attack but no, the dude who's in charge of that is actually...in one of the feet. :iiam:

Combining robots are silly nowadays.

The big part of the O-Raiser is that its pretty much a giant add on pack to get the twin drive system to work at full capacity. They had to wait until they got the Exia's drive to actually get it working in the first place, and then after that they decided to put the extra add-on equipment to get it working at peak efficiency into the form of a transforming jet.... for some reason. Its got a pair of big fuckoff cannons on either wing binder, a bunch of missiles he uses infrequently and is required for all the really wacky Trans-Am antics like quantization, Trans Am Burst and the aptly named Raiser Sword.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

Is G-Reco worth a watch? The first episode was pretty weird.

As a guy who loving hated it? Yeah, why not.

If you're looking for something to entertain you it's Gundam with some decent fight scenes and a few genuinely interesting set pieces, such as how it treats living in space like actually living in space. Just keep in mind that it doesn't get any less weird. The G-Reco cast lives in a universe with a slow gas leak causing brain damage, or one where everyone is just high as balls all the time. Go in with low expectations for the story and you should be okay.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So much for the dream of seeing Build Fighters in a super robot wars game.

Edit: oh wait, nevermind. They are a B studio I guess?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

Oh poo poo.

Gundam Extreme VS Force announced for US and EU 2016 release. Subtitled, not dubbed.

If it wasn't Vita I'd be so loving down.

Just came here to post this. Finally a reason to dust off my vita.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is that a happy or angry yell?

Also, is 3 looking to be a significant improvement over 2?

Even if it is just a garbage translation it will still be nice just for ease of use for those of us who love the games but can barely read enough moon speak to play at all.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure how to set up an HK PSN account. :smith:

I used Singapore because the English version wasn't up on the HK psn at the time.

Basically all you have to do is google "Singapore psn". The website is in English and you sign up exactly as you would for the English one. It will request an address, for which I googled a Singapore McDonald's.

After that you can log onto the psn on your ps4 the same way you'd log onto any son account. To pay for it you will need to buy psn cards for Singapore, I got mine from Play Asia because I was impatient but you might be able to save a bit if you shop around for ones matching the exact value you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

kag3man3 posted:

Does Gundam Breaker 3 come with English menus?

Yup.

• Locked thread