Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hivac posted:

Ah, right, I forgot that 90% of his screaming is something about Gundam throughout the entirety of Z2.

I distinctly remember that one part where everyone has a generic 'say the name of the person closest to me' fest. Allelujah says Marie, Saji calls for Louise, etc. It's all very touching.

Then Setsuna finishes with 'Gundam...'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Race Realists posted:

J has a LUDICROUS amount of reinforcements in every Scenario making EVERY. SINGLE. STAGE an hour long nightmare to finish.

I'd prefer people to LIKE the series, not hate the gently caress out of it guys.

It's either that or some games that don't accurately depict what the series plays like nowadays if you're looking for an English translated title.I mean, I guess J doesn't either, but I'd rather play J than 2 or 3.

I'd play @G over J, but that's part of a series and also has some old mechanics, so meh.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Menu patches, you mean.

I mean, sure, if you're fine with a moonspeak story, than go start with Z right now, but if you want something you can understand and don't speak Japanese, you've very limited options.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

That's right, gigantic ditz Yurika Misumaru can be easily turned into a Destroyer Of All Things with a few upgrades. And unlike Murrue and the Archangel, Yurika and the Nadesico don't get beaten to death with a nerf bat over the course of the game. Yurika and Nadesico get better. :getin:

To be fair, that is entirely consistent with the show. Like everyone else on the Nadesico, Yurika is crazy, but very competent.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

TARDISman posted:

The nerfs are pretty faithful to the series since the crew on the Archangel are like a game of whack a mole. Come to think of it do they ever save Tolle in a different game, like in Alpha 3 or something?

I think Tolle is saved in W if you also save Nichol.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am never going to take that original pair seriously unless there's some drat good writing involved.

I mean seriously, that guy does not look like a highschooler and that chick does. Why can't it be vice versa?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ShiunTouya posted:

Group's name spoiler:

It seems to be Z-BLUE: Z Busters Link Universe & Earth

EDIT: Here's also a video of Genion's attacks. There's some very early (chapter 5) spoilers in there after 0:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhBDo9PLLmw

I actually don't mind that cockpit too much. I mean yeah it's stupid and badly designed for something that moves like that, but I was expecting something much worse from everyone's reactions to it.

Now, Suzume's piloting outfit, on the other hand... I mean, I've played Selena's route, so I'm not really surprised. Just kinda disappointed.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Rascyc posted:

How does Z3 fit into the Z continuum anyway? I have a friend who was mildly interested in playing but would have to start with the PS3 title because of system limitations. This is a Japanese fluent friend, as a random aside.

It's a sequel, after the world from Z1 and Z2 have merged.

Isn't Z1 a PS2 classic that's downloadable from the PSN? Have him download that, Z is awesome.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

It's Zetas all the way down in Z3. And hopefully that goes double for Z3.2.

Okay, that is hilarious. I too wish for doubling the Zetas in 3.2.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Brunom1 posted:

Hmm, I didn't know that...

I suppose I could translate it as "Elite Soldier?" to get it closer to that but I can't think of any way to translate 特攻野郎 into something that directly references the A-Team...

How about just calling it 'The A-Team?'

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I'd say Pacific Rim has a better chance of showing up than Mega XLR or whatever fan-popular thing exists. It came out in Japan, has a seiyuu cast, and was pretty well received. I don't think it's a good chance but it is more likely than a lot of things but still no that likely.

I don't know if they'd character portraits though.

There's enough anime-style fanart of live action stuff that I'm sure they can think of something.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

Godannar and Pacific Rim together in a game please.

I distinctly remember someone on /m/ or here saying 'Pacific Rim was the third best episode of Godannar that I've ever watched.'

That sounds about right.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Man, a lot of pointless moeblobs (I think I am using that term right) have come and gone through SRW, but the female lead from Aquarion Evol seems to take the cake. She just looks completely hopeless as far as ever turning into anything at all.

Also, I was wondering, in all of robot anime, is there anyone other than Amuro who becomes an actual adult over the course of a series? I mean, both his appearance and personality changing completely.

Flit, Asemu, Simon, I guess. And to be fair, it didn't happen over the course of a series, Amuro had two series and a movie to mature.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVvNLfJ5eJw

I also recorded the Z3.2 trailer if anyone wants to see it. Spoilers, obv.

Given I don't speak Japanese, the only thing I got out of that trailer was 'oh, cool, Xine is still alive.'

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Onmi posted:

If I get Diebuster and ZZ, I'll be a very happy man, I can't actually think of many series I think were "missing" from the Z-Series.

Besides everyone that was removed in Z2 or Z3, you mean.

...I just want good Renton and Garrod back.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

Hell, man, why don't we just bring in Symphogear at that point, for maximum robotfist.

Hell, they've had Iczer. I would have no problem with Symphogeah.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Huh. I'm going through the portraits for Z3.1, and there's a lot of stuff that I thought was covered in Z2, like Kallen in her schoolgirl hairstyle. Are there flashbacks, or did more series get setback then I expected?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Kallen in her schoolgirl outfit shows up shortly after her debut. Several others, like Young Simon and Scirocco, show up during the Spiral Labyrinth.

Ooh, forgot that GL's plot didn't finish.

...Does Hibiki have three variations of 'weird eye poo poo'? There's the classic mind control dull eyes, fully blank white eyes, and his eyes also turn red. I guess the first two could simply be standard expressions that are used for humor, but the third appears to be something related to his sphere.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Onmi posted:

The third is in relation to his backstory. Hibiki's father and sister were presumably killed in a dimension quake caused by an "angel" he thinks is Gatride- He can sense his presence because whenever he's near one of his eyes turn red (like the people in the hospital, other people who survived dimension quakes who got this bloody eye thing which leaves them without emotions aside from fear).

But when cancer man shows up at the end he gets a red eye again so it probably wasn't Gatride.

Not even sphere related, then? Hmm. Man I need to find a translated summary of this game's plot.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

They should have made make a dodge modifier for small units that works the same way but in reverse (and makes use of the same "ignore size" ability) Hell, now bigger units now have special attack lines against small units like "I can't hit that tiny thing", so it would make extra sense.

They do, though? A larger unit attacking a smaller unit has an accuracy penalty.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

You guys weren't kidding about Hibiki's engrish, that stilted katakana reading is fantastic. :allears:

COOL AS HELL.

I await eagerly for him showing up in OG and everyone mocking him for that.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Caphi posted:

Has occasional bouts of (ahem) "irrational hysteria." They're actually almost interesting and I have a theory about what they are, but to be honest, it still doesn't help her case that much. I'm only in endgame so I don't know if they do anything with it or if they'll deal with it in the second Z3.

My original, optimistic theories about Suzune are all out the window, though, and I'm actually very disappointed about it.

Never expect good things out of women in robot shows. It doesn't tend to happen often.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kanos posted:

SRW was actually really good about this for quite a while when we actually got multiple main character choices. Since we've downsized to having only one main character they seem to want to play it extremely safe to avoid pissing off their fanbase so we always get Generico McHeroguy as our lead with the female "protagonist" designated love interest/sidekick/powerup device/macguffin to protect and rescue.

I am still wishing for the day that our forced protagonist is a hot blooded chick with no jiggle whateversoever pilotting a super robot that stabs people with a spear.

One day...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

So you want Calvina in the Granteed.

Not enough hotblooded.

But yes, hopefully the J originals will be able to pilot any of the three robots when they show up in OG, though I am waiting for forced Calvina/Bellzelute and Touya/Granteed.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Prism posted:

The Sphere-users will just combine into a twelve or more-man unit, Zodiac.

The important thing is who forms what. Because if Xine isn't the crotch I will be immensely disappointed.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kanos posted:

Amata's crew are infinitely more likeable, interesting, and developed as characters than anyone in the original Aquarion, with the exception that Apollo and Silvia were a drat sight better than Amata and Mikono.

EVOL doesn't have Pierre, meaning you are wrong.

(I've never seen EVOL, mind, Pierre is just awesome.)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ethiser posted:

When was the last time we got a surprise like G Bankaran in a SRW game? G Bankaran came out of nowhere and is probably my favorite OG robot now. All the mainline games either show every series in the CG opening or in the attract mode. I think it would be awesome to just have something like Layzner just show up unannounced out of nowhere midgame.

That might happen in an OG title, but it'd make no sense in a mainline game. If you're including Layzner in the game, why wouldn't you want to advertise the fact to attract Layzner fans?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The Huckebeins are 100% dead and gone. They've been phasing them out for a while now. I assume the GM Gunner will either get to combine with the Exbein when it shows up or they'll give Ryoto and Rio a new mecha. (Which, frankly, is way loving overdue.)

I just want the non-Kusuha Alpha originals to be relevant again. Like, have all of the A-listers get teleported away to another dimension and have the Earth be defended by Kai, Tasuku, Leona, Carla, Yuuki, Ryoto, Rio, Russel, and Katina. And Masaki, because he manages to wander back home before anyone else can find it, because Midorikawa would throw a fit if he weren't in this.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ethiser posted:

OG really needs a music character in the vain of Basara or Mic Sounders.

If we're getting a music character, it's going to be an idol.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

We already have a pair of idol singer robots.

Yes, but neither pilot is an actual idol, and they don't use music to inspire others/somehow make robots punch harder/make aliens LISTEN TO THEIR SONG/etc.

I'd prefer a Basara-like character (honestly, I kinda just want Basara) but if they're making a music character it's almost guaranteed to be an idol nowadays.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

I still feel that the vast majority of OG stuff is just incredibly bland when compared to almost any series included in a normal SRW

I like OG and I kinda agree with this. They're really playing it safe with their OG MCs in the latest games, and even changing things in the OG games (making Kusuha the damsel in distress and Bullet having to save her, as you'd expect from their character archetypes, instead of the other way around like in the Apha games.) I'm getting really tired of teenage boys piloting strange mecha they don't understand with the help of a love interest.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

TARDISman posted:

The big thing with AGE is it'd take like... 3 games to tell unless you just say "gently caress it" and do just one generation. Hell, they could do it alongside Gundam, Zeta, and CCA, so people can compare them side by side.

It could start in generation 2 and have a W-esque timeskip to gen 3 or something.

Honestly, I'd expect them to just start at gen 3 and have it match up with Nadesico or something.

I kinda just want more Nadesico.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Nadesico's only interesting unit is the Nadesico itself.

Yes, but it gives me like 6 units that I can use to fill out my roster with shows I actually like instead of having to use Kira or something.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

KoB posted:

Everyone talks about how the Nadesico is a beast but it never gets a chance for me when its long side Kaiser, Great Mazinger, Tekkaman, GaoGaiGar, Granteed, etc etc.

In J, which is what most people are talking about, you get it before any of those bar Tekkaman Blade and the enemies never attack him, so she kills everyone on the counter. Plus she has a MAP attack. And the Nadesico is so much better than the Archangel.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

Well, the thing is SRW, by its very nature, focuses on all the cool plot points and eliminates all the fluff. As far as I'm aware, there's no SRW game where White Base needs salt. Not to mention, SRW is good for lots of robots shooting at each other and roaring passion, but it isn't very good at, say, stuff that takes place outside of the mechs. Big O is a cool show but in SRW its main purpose is ten minutes of talking heads, then the fifteenth fight with Schwarzwald. And both those things are cool parts of Big O, but it misses out on the smaller stuff, like that episode with Dorothy and the cat. Or that episode with Dorothy and the piano playing robot. Or that episode where Roger saved Christmas.

See also: Code Geass in Z2, where all of Lulu's cool plans got changed into 'blow things up' because that's all they could show on a normal gameplay map.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: Also NG+ is bugged, great going Sanbondo. :allears:

That's an impressive bug.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think so, it's Elicia, who is clearly the female lead of the game. If she's gonna tragically die than they're just breaking all the rules.

edit: I guess she might eventually pass the lead position to Sakito for some stupid reason on her own. Well, either way, he may just be a placeholder until Masaki gets back.

Remember: This is a Japanese robot game. And girlfriends dying is very tragic.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Getsuya posted:

One of the main reasons I've had my eyes on MX and UX is that I've heard they both stay mostly away from the Gundam storylines, which is nice. I like the characters in ZZ and V, and I have some fondness for my old memories of Wing and Seed, but honestly I'd like to play a game with some other stories in the spotlight.

Edit: Not to mention that I've gotten pretty much all I need of V and ZZ in Alpha so I'm okay putting those to rest now. Though I am kind of excited to see how Alpha 3 'fixes' the Seed storyline. I was a really big Seed fan back in the day and the thought of an even better version of it hits me in the nostalgia.

Alpha 3 isn't great with Seed. W has probably the best Seed, but it does that by avoiding the actual Seed TV show for most of the game in favor of the Astray manga.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Getsuya posted:

Speaking of Macross and Alpha, I don't remember this from the books but is there a reason there's two girls who look like they're 10 on the bridge of the Macross? Shammy and Kim. I don't remember there being any kids running the ship in the novels, but considering the huge amount of kids in Alpha I guess it'd be par for the course.

They're adults. I don't even think they look particularly kid like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I never saw Robotech as a child but it sounds like it would be brain-breakingly weird to see after knowing how Macross actually goes.

It's not TOO different from the Sailor Moon-esque dubs of the era. Apart from the ending and the character names, the only major changes are A) changing what 'protoculture' is so that it can continue with their versions of Mospeada and Southern Cross, which are vastly more different from their Japanese versions and B) adding in the stupid as all hell narrator.

• Locked thread