Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
  • Locked thread
Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Levantine posted:

Bleh, seems like a bit of a cut corner considering it's a full console game but that's a minor nitpick on my part.
It's on the Vita too. That might explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

Man, that is a really boring thread title.
I was too late to suggest "Super Robot Wars 28 Kai Drill Edition ~A Man's Dream is Forever~"

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

I would prefer if they imported Neo's weapons system to its SP system which seems to favor Supers and overpower units with more than 1 sub-pilots unless something's been changed since then.

Although maybe that will be a surprise anyway.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Hokuto posted:

It's a simple, accessible game with readable English and a low difficulty curve. Unless you're saying J was hard?
I think it's more like he's saying that J is so boring gameplay wise that it might "scare" someone off from the series if he didn't know that J's supposed to be an outlier in terms of not boring the player to death.

quote:

I'd also agree with L-Gaim deserving more SRW billing. All it gets these days is SRW GC/XO. And NEO I guess.
I'm assuming everyone is trying to forget about it but it did appear in OE so it isn't that "dormant". Though that's probably because OE reused a lot of NEO content.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

At least he didn't pick Lamia in the Angelg.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

The recent gameplay reveals such as implementing NEO's SP system is semi-attracting me to Z3-1.

The PS3 version isn't out of reach for me, but I rather play it portable and I don't have the budget for a Vita.

Since I believe the price will take a nose-dive once Z3-2 is out I think I'll just live vicariously through others.

Emuticus posted:

For upgrading units: Do the upgrades carry over, or do you simply get a refund of your money?
It's refunds, no direct carryovers.

50/75/100% for 1/2/3+ playthroughs like most modern SRW I believe.

quote:

And finally, what happens to items in NG+? Do they get sold off? Do you get to keep them?
Well, you can't even sell them normally, so I don't know if it gets "auto-sold" if only because I have no idea what the value of each item would be.

You don't keep any of the Mecha parts through NG+ though, so I'm going to assume they're just removed.

What you do keep is Skill Parts. They carry over if they're leftover as items or if you spent them on a pilot.

Note that Axel and Lamia don't share learned skills, so pick one character and stay with him (unless you want to spend all your parts on other characters I suppose)

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

In the Neo system you do not begin with full SP as a stage starts. Instead it gains naturally ala Will/Morale gains, with increased gains in combat...

Neo and OE also had leveled spells where instead of Focus you had Focus Lv1/Lv2/Lv3 where each had a different effect and SP cost, but Z3 appears to have replaced this with "plus" versions of the spell on certain characters instead.
Z3's version seems to be tweaked as follows
- Half SP + 5 SP per turn, instead of being combat-based. Which I guess they learned from OE that the system as it is in NEO kind of screws over Reals.
- No leveled Spirits as mentioned. The "+" version of Spirits such as Focus+ casts it on both members of a squad instead.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Oh wow, I actually think I commented that the old "mecha specific FUB bonus" should really be at 50% instead of 100% because it really isn't worth it FUBing many units, and now they actually did went ahead and did it.

I'm liking how this game is making such system changes to the core when its been unchanged from quite some time.

Though the Invincible nerf seems odd. I always thought Flash was the more overpowered one because of its cheaper SP cost.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

GBA's OG2 is pretty good and actually one of the more "challenging in a good way" SRW games.

There's no endless waves of reinforcements and it's a thing of J because I think the "graphical upgrade" really pushed the GBA's hardware to the limit that they had to abuse reinforcements to fit in as many units as they wanted per stage... or so I've heard.

Anyway, not saying that OG2 is perfect, because there IS indeed a certain period of time when the game becomes the slog due to HP sponge bosses/grunts, but that's mostly in the end-game of OG2 while J's sloggery is almost pretty much consistent.

I guess the PS2 version sort of reduces the slog by virtue of just making everything easier since they wasn't very careful about fitting the old elements into the new system they created.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I mean it was the game that gave us the Wild Wurger L after all.
Well, no argument that it's broken, but it's a secret unit that you might not get if you don't use an FAQ and comes in around 2/3s of the game, which is still ample time to use it, but it isn't exactly handed to you on Mission 1, I guess.

I mean, when I say challenging I mean relatively for an SRW game compared to something like W and Z2-2 anyway which were DBZ in Robot form except for maybe a handful of scenarios.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Eurogamer came out with an article for SRW.
Seems like just a regular "Semi-introduction to SRW" that comes around every so often.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Gyra_Solune posted:

...Also I am compelled to sperg about my personal idea for an SRW cast list and ask for additions or suggestions to that, but I wonder if people would welcome that or be all 'hell who's going to read all that'.
We had that a couple of pages back, go for it I suppose unless you take up an entire page and 20 posts or something.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

There aren't a lot of non-battleship units with MAP attacks in Z1, I've noticed, which is kind of interesting. Off the top of my head there's Nirvash, Turn A, Setsuko's upgraded original and Xine's unit (and she's like last mission only so you might as well scratch that out)

Meanwhile most of the attacking battleships have MAPs. Man I wish OGs was set up like that.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Brunom1 posted:

Do the Hyaku Shiki and Legend Gundam have a MAP version for their Mega Bazooka Launcher and DRAGOON attacks? Can't remember...
Don't know about Legend, but I'm pretty sure HS doesn't. He would be a lot better otherwise if he did.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

I figured people played Super Tokusatsu Taisen 2001 when they were talking about on-foot units + giant dudes.

That's a Banpresto cross-over game made using the SRW engine with the Kamen Riders, Ultramen and of course, Giant Robo... the live action version, that is.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Many years ago: Man, when are the Masou Kishin characters coming back? They were cool in Alpha Gaiden
Present day: God, when will this misery end!?

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't people hate the last one?
If I'm not wrong, they didn't hate it because they were sick of the story/plot etc. They hated it because it was hard and they offered DLC which gives you OP items and lots of money, which kind of taints the former point for people who might like that sort of thing.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

While in a sense I would certainly be happy if Giant Robo made a return (as unlikely as it would be), I think it would be pretty drat rushed to try to fit it and the Eye of Voggler plot into Z3-2 when presumably some huge poo poo is going to go down.

I suppose they could use it plotless but man, that would make it like what, 3 games where the big climatic event of the series in question never happened.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

EthanSteele posted:

While we're here, I'm on Z2.1 after doing Z and Will seems really slow to come by. Obviously it's because there's like 1/3 as many enemies throwing themselves on everyone, but it feels like the Will+ on X skills are way worse for it, or maybe they've always been bad and I'm only just noticing it now
They were almost always rather niche skills, but once you reach Z2.2 they decided to experiment by combining it into just one super Will+ skill which combines all of the old ones, which kind of solves that problem.

The best one is really Z2's version of Warring Heart though. Usually it sucks because it takes up a precious skill slot for only 5 Will but in Z2, it's 10. Will itself still wouldn't be that important in modern SRW damage calculations but it's mostly used to jumpstart the Continuous Action chain which requires 120 to activate.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

EthanSteele posted:

I've no idea how Will actually figures into damage calculations, all I know is more = better, is it even as much as 1% per point?
1 point of Will translates to 1 point in Melee/Ranged (and also Defense but that doesn't really factor right now).

It works out more like 0.5% per point. Relatively speaking, the higher your base stats you already have, the less added bonus damage you'll get from more Will.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Maybe Calvina's boyfriend will be recruitable or something when OG rolls around

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

The basic concept behind OG is fine. It's the execution that's a bit lacking at times (Time for another women kidnapping plot!)

I think it has Frankenstein'ed itself way too much with sequels though. Feels like it desperately needs a reboot so as to normalize the power levels again instead of having some of the returning characters sort of just stand around and twiddle their thumbs due to power creep.

And of course, please stop Masou Kishin now. Well, I guess they are doing that since Coffin of the End is going to be the last one.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Brunom1 posted:

2ndOGs didn't have any kidnapped people, did it?
Never did play OG2nd... come to think of it, it's probably OG Gaiden's fault if I'm going to blame one game for overusing that plot point.

Though speaking of OG2nd, since I've heard they did the D plot there, how did they handle those two recruitable characters... uh, Glacias and what's his name? I forgot what they were called.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

They used to do things like put licensed characters in original units (like... Shapiro in Valsione happened once IIRC), vice versa (Cobray goes through like an MP Nu Gundam, Arado originally started in a Zaku in his game) and sometimes you get licensed characters as final bosses like Kaworu in the Eva-03 instead of having some kind of "super powerful force of nature which is an original creation because using a licensed character in that role would be biased or something" all the time.

Wish we could bring back the craziness of those old days with better gameplay.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Endorph posted:

Anti-Spiral is the boss of Z3, isn't he?
2nd last, I believe. The real final boss is an Original character, as usual.

KoB posted:

Scirroco pilots the Valsion Kai in SRW3 for a certain ending, doesnt he? Shapiro is in SRW4 I think. (Valsione is the lady robot by the way).
Yeah, I'm probably mixing names up.

Also, could be a bad memory but I believed Gosterro (sp?) from Layzner in a Devil Gundam was a boss (maybe final?) in a game, so that's one licensed character piloting a unit from a completely different property.

Seriously, when the story does jokes like putting Heero in Bonta-kun for Z3-1 or something, I would love to actually be able to use it in gameplay instead of it just being a cutscene thing.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Ethiser posted:

I never really understood their insistence in giving some battleships terrible aim. In original generations you would consistently get 30% chances to hit. That just makes me never use the battleships for anything. It is not like their attacks are super power and one shot the bad guys.
It was the era of pre-accuracy stat. Also both battleship captains have terrible Hit stat the last time I remember.

I think the gameplay design reason is that battleships are actually in a sense supposed to play a supporting role in battle because they're the enemies' win condition. If battleships are too strong then the enemy would basically never ever win through killing the player (Hello J's Nadesico).

But then I think at some point they realized that the AI in SRW never wins through that method anyway so now it's OK to make good battleships and focus the "difficulty" on either Battle Masteries or encouraging the player to play more efficiently.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

quote:

A good rule of thumb on battleships: Is the battleship's name also the title of the show it's coming from? If no then it's gonna be Pretty Bad 90% of the time.
Well, I haven't heard of any Anime called "Iron Gear" and "Soleil"...

Samurai Sanders posted:

So just to confirm, those are tiny Gundams and not giant Kamen Riders, right?
Aren't Ultramen supposed to be huge too? Probably pulling some sort of SRW "everything takes up 1 tile no matter what their actual size is" abstraction here.

(Is Ultramen the plural of Ultraman?)

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Regarding the GBA games, I consider it...

D=R > A > J

Picking from D and R is a matter of whether your preference is better cast list/cross-over concept versus a much more balanced game overall. R is probably the best balanced SRW of the GBA games, although it's still easy, but that's SRW for you.

Incidentally, D doesn't really have an "Armor Bug", it just has really screwed up stats where something like an Armored Valkyrie has more base armor than Mazinger Z. I think I mention this in an off-chance that someone could potentially mod the game and raise every Super's armor by a few hundred points or something.

The original GBA A has some serious issues with not receiving the interface/gameplay jumps that Alpha 1/Gaiden brought to the series, but I still think it's kind of interesting if you can get past that... and since it doesn't use "Modern" SRW mechanics there's some reason to play this over its PSP version if only for curiosity (though I would recommend the latter)

J is such an ungodly slog and you might as well play W instead outside of a handful of series which didn't make the jump from J to W.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

maou shoujo posted:

I did find this wiki page that has a comprehensive list of seemingly every bug in the series, but the sections on D never mention armor.
Wow, this is pretty cool.

The "Armor Bug" was really common belief that spread around the Internet (I'm not sure if Wikipedia still has that line about it) until some people actually tested it. If you go ahead and cheat or something to raise your armor values to some really ridiculous high values such as 5000 or something, you can clearly see that armor works.

It's just that Armor doesn't scale fast enough compared to enemy damage values in D, which I think is something that also happens in A Portable. You can still use Tanky units if you double up and stack Defense Up stat parts along with increasing their Armor, but it's just much better to focus on the other methods of damage mitigation such as dodging since the math works out better.

Ironically even upping Skill is most likely a much better defensive option for triggering abilities like Sword Cut and Shield Defense.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Don't know if it works in A compared to A Portable, but the trick is to leave weak enemies around to finish off because otherwise he'll Leeroy Jenkins into the boss.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

He's playing the original A though, so I don't think it'll be of any help since a lot of the base mechanics have changed, I believe.

Some of the unit stats in the original version are pretty hilarious. I remember the Gundam Wing units getting some serious bias. Sandrock's combined defensive stats of Armor/Shield/Evasion is pretty eye-popping.

Also if I'm not wrong, original A still has W-Up and V-Up units which means grunt units are better than main units if you stack them.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Do these exist for other games in the series?
I wrote this particular one because of AP's supposed difficulty and I'm not really aware of the existence of any other.
As Endorph mentioned, most of the SRW series are rather easy in general that you can generally do whatever you want and win... so I'm not particularly sure if there's any demand for any other SRW game.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Getsuya posted:

Can I get some tips on how to read Pilot stats? Like, how do I know if a pilot has the potential to be a really good end-game character or not?
Well, since you're playing an older game, if they're from Gundam, see if they have Newtype. Except in a few edge cases (hi Katz and Fa).

This is one of those things where I think you basically need to have some knowledge of the source material to identify who are the main characters. They generally always have superior stats by around 10-20 points per stat compared to the second stringers and there's almost very little exception to that rule.

Use those guys as a base comparison because there really isn't any numeric rule of thumb like ">160 in a stat is good!" or anything. It's all relative.

There are certain games with some characters that supposedly like "late-game" growths where they gain much more stats at higher levels than lower ones, but I don't think any of them ever work out to be better than the ones that are strong for the entire game. Plus you need a guide to realize that they have this kind of stat-growth in the first place.

Of course, support pilots who are just there to cast Spirit Commands don't really care about their stats.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Incidentally, AP does do the "give non-Newtypes better spirits" balancing act with the Gundam pilots. Kou has Strike with the cost of 10SP, and since GP03 doesn't need help with survival in the Spirit department that's basically gold in AP. Shiro is basically Irm once he gets his ACE bonus.

In comparison most of the Newtype mains spirit lists can be described as "generic real."

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Getsuya posted:

Super Heroine Wars
The first two things I thought after reading the post was "Wow, this was the first time someone said they liked the cast list of that game" and then "Wait, no one has put any battle animations up on Youtube, really?"

And then I realized you weren't talking about Super Heroine Chronicles but instead a game with a very similar name after looking it up on Google. Oops.

Well, there isn't many screenshots of the thing, but I can recognize that those games were made in the freeware SRC (Simulation RPG Construction) engine, so I can make an educated guess and say the animation is probably map heads shaking a bit, conjuring laser beams out of their map heads and causing cheesy explosion or slashing effects to appear on the enemy's map head.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

A Portable is one of my favorite games in the series and I don't even think it is hard, so that sounds fine.
Well, A Portable's difficulty is honestly pretty front-loaded.

FMW1 is like... well, it gives you the resources of what you would expect to get from the first 1/3 of an SRW game. So enough PP to buy maybe 1 big money skill and upgrade your favourite units by around 4/5 bars in their key stat. But the mission difficulty on the other hand, scales up like... mmm, let's say around Alpha Gaiden's first appearance of the Ghost X-9.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Getsuya posted:

How similar are the SD Gundam Generation G games to SRW, and are they worth playing? And if so, which one(s)?
There are two forks of SD Gundam G Gen games, one fork is a lot more like your regular SRW games with a crossover mostly linear story represented by games like G Gen Neo, Seed and DS. I'm not really too familiar with these ones.

The other fork are the ones that most people have played represented by World/Overworld etc. They're more like non-linear sandbox SRPGs where you can upgrade, research new units and mix and match pilots and units to your liking with no limitations whatsoever compared to SRW, so if you ever want to put Domon in the Turn X or have Amuro riding the Strike Freedom or something, you can do it. The missions in these games tend to be re-enactment of the original series's plot so you don't really need to watch them... kind of.

I personally recommend F and Spirits. Spirits has a comprehensive coverage of just about every series that's UC related at the time of release and the engine is more recent than F. F does include alternative timeline Gundams like Wing and G though, and it has some interesting series mechanics compared to the rest of the series like Mobile Doll use (that's a Wing thing).

Wars is OK.

I anti-recommend the later games in the series unless you REALLY want to play as the modern stuff like Unicorn and AGE because I personally think the mission design in Overworld is terrible.

quote:

Showing my super ignorance again but could you explain what that means and what its ramifications are to the gameplay/plot?
It stands for "Mobile Suit Variation", but mostly what that means to you is that these games have stuff from the more obscure parts of the series like Mangas or "this unit only shows up as a concept art that never made it into any real piece of fiction but we'll include it as a series anyway!"

(drat, zan't wait for Le Cygne to show up. Too bad the author pretty much dropped it)

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

One thing about Alpha 1 is that it's using an old Accuracy formula where Mobility is used for both accuracy and evasion (later games removed its effect on accuracy), so Supers kind of get screwed in that regards.

The Super original does upgrade into a 2-seater later on though, so maybe the sub-pilot might help provide you with the spirits that you need.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

1st Stage Midboss posted:

I've started playing A Portable recently and I have to ask, does D-3 get any extra attacks beyond combos with the other Dragonars when it upgrades to the Lifter version?
I checked and I believe it does get one new attack when it receives the Lifter. And then eventually it'll get one more at the time every Dragonar member gets the Light Bazookas. It's not a great attacker unit.

quote:

Every enemy loves to pile on it and I can't see it dropping out of my team unless a lot of better stuff with EWAC comes along.
There really isn't any other since it's the only one with a natural EWAC (Large) without having to FUB.

quote:

Also, can D-1 still wear its EWAC space hat parts when it upgrades to Custom/Lifter?
I have no idea what this means. Space hat parts?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Getsuya posted:

Edit: Is 'Absolute Terror Field' the canon name for them, or is that just a cute acronym they flash in the opening that doesn't actually mean anything?
It is the canon name from the source material, but as you guessed, it's a bit of Engrish that doesn't have any basis in reality and just there to look cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

It's much easier to just leave a couple of near-dead mooks close-by for Akito to finish off, which the AI even on the "Guest party member" side will prioritize killing.

• Locked thread
«5 »