Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Neon green music notes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Boob chat has made me curious, has SRW ever had the climatic Gunbuster move as something you can do? That and pulling out Getter reactors would be hilarious ways to end stages.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Godannar and Pacific Rim together in a game please.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Man, a lot of pointless moeblobs (I think I am using that term right) have come and gone through SRW, but the female lead from Aquarion Evol seems to take the cake. She just looks completely hopeless as far as ever turning into anything at all.

Also, I was wondering, in all of robot anime, is there anyone other than Amuro who becomes an actual adult over the course of a series? I mean, both his appearance and personality changing completely and becoming all calm and settled down.

edit: duuuh, Gurren Lagann I guess. Anything other than that?

Hikaru from Macross sort of has this arc in my opinion. He starts off as a stunt pilot obsessed with a highschool girl, ends up losing lots of people and being in command and eventually sort of settling down with a far more reasonable woman. I'm not sure what his actual physical ages are supposed to be, but it is effectively the same sort of plot in my mind.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I may or may not have asked this before in this thread, but does anyone have any good reference images for any of the laboratories from Go Nagai's robot stuff? I'd particularly like to see some stuff of this place, the image in the article is about the best one I've seen http://mazinger.wikia.com/wiki/Science_Fortress_Laboratory but I know in the animation the colors are different for example.

Also anything like that from Godannar would be rad, or any other cool shows. Feel free to use this as a springboard for mecha base chat.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I want a crossed arms combo attack with Getter. :colbert: :kamina:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

Doesn't he know judo? He should just do like the Kurogane Five and Judo a mech.

I now know my dream SRW inclusion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVlvWGhs8Xw

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hell yeah, one of the first animes I ever watched! Which was kind of a problem since I basically hit peak anime immediately. At least, what was considered peak anime before the modern age of moe. Now its anime level just seems quaint.

Yeah A-ko was probably the first anime I watched knowing it was anime (ie Voltron didn't count). It's hilarious as a total noob to the genre but gets better over the years as you start to understand the dumb references everywhere. FLCL for the 90s, perhaps.

Taken as a series A-ko would actually have more content for SRW than Iczer, probably. Start off with B-ko as a villain throwing robots at you, then the aliens and military machines get involved, the giant A-ko robot, even go nuts and have the sand monsters and submarines from the VS movies. Totally would rule.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gyra_Solune posted:

So when I blabbed about making up series lists earlier and someone posited 'well sometimes it's better if you just take random shows and make them work out', and because I am an insane person, I basically went and compiled every single show I see as being SRW-able, alongside some Western stuff, video games, and even that Exo-Force thing Lego did a while back because it was as anime as possible.

Here are all 246 of them. Note that satellite series I tagged onto others - i can't imagine who would want to use Mazinger without Great Mazinger if you don't count K, the pre-Zeta Gundam OVAs would be tagged onto one or the other presumably, Astray and Destiny are all under SEED, pretty much anything Macross that isn't 7 or Frontier would be tagged to the original. Usage of a list randomizer would indeed allow for easily making effectively off the wall cast lists should one look at the first or last 10-20 entries there.

Note that results will inevitably include lots of tiresome unnoticed 70s super robot shows, cheesy 80s apocalyptic OVAs, fanservice-crazed 90s OVAs, utterly forgettable real robot 2000s shows, and Daimidaler or Dai Shogun all the time because random.org hates me. ^.^

Feel free to prod me about things that ought or ought not to be on this, I haven't watched the vast majority of these and don't intend to, so yeah. And you better share amusing results.

Godzilla / greater Toho kaiju library and Gamera would be fun / retarded additions.

The western Voltron stuff. Voltron 3D and Voltron Force had new (and potentially interesting gameplay wise) units and pilots. They have a comic going on right now that's a Robotech crossover too with some kind of Lion-Veritech hybrid stuff going on I think.

Any kind of Super Sentai mecha, Kamen Rider ground units, etc. Ultraman. I await the day we get a two-scale game with tokusatsu heros doing on foot infiltration missions while SRW crew fights the big stuff outside the enemy base.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Would need at least one mission with the Getter pilots beating the poo poo out of people / each other. And you could have the Kurogane Five get in on it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Hokuto posted:

It's worth mentioning that the Sunrise Eiyutan/World War games did on foot battles. It's not entirely unprecedented. And hey, that got us Ronin Warriors in a giant robot game. :v:

I did not know how much I wanted that until this moment.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

KoB posted:

At the very least, Noriko and Simon need a combo kick. Theyre best bros and everything.

:colbert: triple :colbert: combo :colbert: or bust.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Minmay always sorta annoys me (or maybe it's more that Hikaru does for still trying with her) because she's either dense as gently caress or stringing him along hardcore. Oh yeah we had a mock wedding and went on dates and I wrote a song about my pilot boyfriend but you thought we were a couple?? gently caress that, Misa superiority. Kaifun makes her worse since he's one of those characters that just exists to challenge the status quo of the show and those get really obnoxious when you are, you know, enjoying the show. Of course I'm gonna hate the guy who comes in talking poo poo about the military when I've watched a few dozen eps of the military dudes being awesome.

DYRL was a better take than the TV version probably. And yeah taking her actions as a dumb 16 year old does help them feel realistic but it's still basically a vehicle for the main hero guy to get poo poo on so it grates sometimes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
They are non-specific young women. They go bra shopping and stuff on their days off in the show.

Also excuse to quote this

a kitten posted:

Trackballs: Part of any sophisticated futuristic defense system:

SDF Macross

They should make a Macross MMO where everyone online plays a position on the ship and a few lucky players get sent trackball controllers.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Love can bloom during a knife fight.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Broken Loose posted:

wait what am i talking about the best macross romance is obviously global x pipe

He just wants to....hold it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Voltron Force. :colbert:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Super Kaiju Wars. Godzilla vs Gamera with Ultraman and Sentai robots too. Throw in Sazer-X so Gordo can be there.

edit: I just really want to have Godzilla fight Dragonzord OK?

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 15, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Hokuto posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it works. You also get Ronin Warriors the same way. (And they were in Sunrise World War!)

Sold. :frogon:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Cannon God Exaxxion and a new "season" of Godannar please.

Although with those two you already have a good start for SRW: Titties Edition I guess.

It would also be fun if they could somehow do something like Go Lion and Voltron or Macross and Robotech (ahhahahha never ever ever) with the multiple worlds stuff.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Broken Loose posted:

Obari's already making the Pacific Rim anime.

So loving down for this.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Game that takes place in the space tear Getter eternal battle dimension. Just one stage that goes on forever.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Getsuya posted:

non-violent interpersonal drama stuff that has a really good human element

Based on just this part I want to say Godannar, although it's status as a "must watch" is probably dubious at best.

Absolutely watch Gunbuster though, both for that reason and also because it's amazing and also short.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Kamen Rider can get big if he wants to. :colbert:

http://youtu.be/9PrdzbHFHmA?t=5m31s

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Looking at the player list from Project Cross Zone, it's a huge shame Megaman never got to be in SRW. (Shut up, Tekkaman Blade got in, Megaman could too). I mean, any of the various Mega Man series coudl easily fit in depending on the game.

I'll just add that to my growing list of "Cool Stuff I'd like to see in a game but never will".

Classic Mega Man and Roll, piloting robots based on their supers from Marvel VS Capcom*. Or maybe some kind of Voltron made out of Beat/Rush/Tango.

*combo attacks with Koji and Sayaka

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If we're doing fantasy lists again I still want Exaxxion, Mazinger Angels, and Voltron Force.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I like to imagine there are heated nerd fights about how THIS IS A TOUGH ENEMY, IT'S MADE OF SUPER ALLOY Z BUT TIMES 1000 I DESIGNED IT OK IT IS TOUGH or just generally spergin out about how such and such character is so badass that of course it would take 50 gundams to beat him and so on. Or maybe "well it's the last stage so...." or the guy who minmaxes everything perfect because he's on the test team saying things are too easy.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, in the case of this game, it's just one enemy: titans. They are not characters as such, I can't think of any reason to make them so powerful. In fact, my characters have unique lines against them that are like "I have no time to deal with these low-rank titans" when they are slowly pounding away at my army, despite everyone being clustered together and all with level 3 or so support defense.

That's some serious bullshit then, yes. I agree with you, I have never enjoyed having to spend entire turns on one dude. Especially hate all those fuckin bosses that regen constantly. But grunts with huge HP is indeed pretty awful.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah gently caress that. Break out some cheats if you can because that's dumb as hell.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Exaxxion and Project A-ko :colbert:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Brunom1 posted:

You know what I didn't know I wanted until recently?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O043exmFoJE

This video kind of rules, are there other things like this, particularly with the clashing art cutting back and forth?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Astro Nut posted:

Oh there's a fair few on youtube. How else do you think people satisfy the desire for a properly animated, non-OG SRW adaptation that is never ever going to happen?

By playing SRW of course. Can you post some good ones?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Or, the other world is full of giants, so their toy Gundams are as big as normal Gundams on the main world.

Maclones??

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Mazinger Angels and Dino Getter :getin:

Ethiser posted:

FInally time to introduce Getter Emperor:unsmigghh:

I fuckin wish.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Hokuto posted:

I so wish.

Me too, I've probably said it like 10 times in this thread already. It was a fun manga and seems like perfect SRW bait.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That works almost too well.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I find the gundam wing popularity in the US hilarious because it's prettyboys: the gundam and that went completely over the heads of every 14 year old boy that was super into it at the time.

poo poo I watched a LOT of toonami back then and did not give much of a poo poo about wing. Ronin Warriors was MY prettyboys action show thank you.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

maou shoujo posted:

I had a friend who was super into it who totally wished he was Duo Maxwell.

Wasn't named Matt, was he? Maybe Duo just had some weird effect on teenagers though.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Toonami did those :krad: intros though which were so much better than any theme song could ever be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwF8Vujc928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

HitTheTargets posted:

When I looked back and saw the places where there was only one set of footprints, the Lord said "that is where we gattai'd."

:golfclap:

• Locked thread