Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

chutche2 posted:

Anyone here play the Gihren's Greed series? Been playing Shin Gihren lately and can't figure out how spying works in this one.

It really doesn't.

1) Pay 15 espionage points (Blue Bar) to increase your espionage rank (Green Row). Unfortunately only takes effect on your next turn.
2) 30 points to increase your Enemy Tech experience. Also increases the enemy Counter Espionage rank (Red Row).
3) Sabotage an enemy base for 40 points. I believe it's just static defences though. Also increases Counter Espionage.
4) 50 points to be able to buy an enemy unit next turn, at a ridiculous markup. It might be possible to get Blueprints from this, but I never have. Increases Counter Espionage.
5) 1000 money for +20 points.

No real point in anything but the first option, and even then, just for certain events. You need at least an A Rank to see inside enemy bases and full enemy stats though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Getsuya posted:

I don't think I have this Kou guy everyone was talking about yet, but I do have a guy named Shiro who, despite apparently being a Gundam lead from one of the shows or other, is kind of crappy. And, though people have pointed out that Getter is pretty awesome, in A you get Texas Mack who is a great deal more awesome.

I'm coming up on Level 7 which, as the strategy guide puts it, is 'a storm of secret events'. It then goes on to say that doing all the events in level 7 is stupid hard and that most of the units aren't worth keeping anyway, especially when killing them instead of recruiting them nets you two V-Ups. Two V-Ups vs. getting the female versions of Getter and Mazinger isn't too hard of a choice, for me. Maybe if I was more of an old big robot fan.

Also, regarding Alpha, some upgrade guide told me I should make sure to put a lot of points into Quatro's Hyakushiki, but that thing is a piece of junk. At first I thought Quatro was a crappy character, but then I actually looked at his stats and realized he was great he was just in a machine that didn't let him use his potential. Once I got a free Gundam in my hands (I think it's name is Alex or something?) I slapped him in that and he is now 110% better.

Also to let you know how much of a Gundam newbie I am, I was really shocked to find out that Quatro is Char.

Honestly, early on in Alpha there's no reason to bother with Hyaku Shiki. It gets really good later on, but for the early game, especially on Earth, Core Booster is the best Gundam unit. Alex is decent enough, but the GP01 is the best ground use MS, at least until it's "Upgrade". Something you might not have noticed is that flying units get an evasion and accuracy bonus, so even B (C?) rank Air is better than A rank ground.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
No, it upgrades into the Hyaku Shiki Kai and then Full Armor. It's not really much more than a more energy efficient Zeta Gundam, but that's still pretty good. Funnel units might have higher damage, but Beams can't be Sword Cut and they get bonus damage from having excess range. I think missiles, funnels and MAPs are the only weapons that don't get that bonus actually.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Also I discovered a bug. During the Crossbones Vanguard mission I had the F91 on top of a building and using whatever the 30% evade boost skill is. When folks attacked him they had 0% chance to hit, but he was going to counter with his big 40 EN finisher each time so I would go to switch it to something else. When I switched his counter all of the sudden the enemy would have 100% chance to hit. The only way to get it back to 0 was to switch him to Evade instead of Counter. It really upset me because he should have been able to dodge-tank those guys in a turn or two, but since I had to keep evading instead of countering it ended up taking a lot longer.

There's another bug on that stage, or maybe the map itself, where on certain squares you will always get hit. I don't believe it effects the shown percentage though.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Yes well it seems obvious when I think about it NOW. Kind of like when I learned that 'Defensive Counter Attack' and 'Counter Attack' weren't the same thing at all.

Dodge and Defense terrain bonuses are gone when you're flying, but HP and EN regeneration you keep. Even so, a B Rank Air is still dodgier than an A Rank Ground on good terrain. Unless you don't care about dodging, flying is always better in Alpha 1.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Weird, so I'm on the level of Alpha where I get Gunbuster and I'm not sure if the wiki is trolling me or what. It says to get 2 Expert Points I have to wipe out all enemies with Isamu in either 1 or 2 turns. The entire map is covered in enemies and Isamu appears to be piloting a single Valkyrie. Is this some kind of weird joke? Obviously I just ignored that and played the level normally, but I feel like I missed some kind of gimmick or something.

Stage 49 is kind of weird anyway, considering it's different depending on which route you took for stage 31. You took the EVA route, right? Most FAQs go with the other one. I'm inclined to believe that all 3 of the skill point options are for the Shoot Down route, not just the last one, as is implied by Akurasu.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

MarsDragon posted:

A few pips won't matter too much. Just don't instantly max out Layzener's mobility or something. Keep an eye on your hit/dodge rates and only upgrade when you're getting unacceptably bad ratios on your fragile units. The AI will attack if it's even 1% chance to it, it only ignores if it's actually 0%.

I don't think I ever bothered to do much with training points besides main attack stat/a bit into main defense stat. J isn't a super hard game. Do the Puzzle Robo bits though, they're fun.

I seem to remember enemies prefering to go after targets with the most HP, so it might be a good idea not to upgrade Ship HP.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Simon The Digger posted:

I just started a playthrough of Super Robot Wars GC, is there anything I should know before getting too deep into it?

You shouldn't capture a Gaza C in MA form, it causes a bug that skips missions. Something to do with it being the only transformable unit you can capture, and the MS form being considered the primary form in the menus, probably.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
Is the AM Gunner not going to be a separate thing then? No big loss if so, but maybe choosing it as a Frame will just start with them auto combined, like the Super Gundam tends to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Finally getting around to playing through all the GBA/DS SRW games I bought way back when.
Any tips for SRW D? I've heard Supers are gimped because Defense can't keep up with the damage scaling, so I assume I should just concentrate on everyone being super dodgy? From the few levels I've played so far it seems like it's more important than ever in this game to just not get hit by anything because everything does a ton of damage.
Any tips on how to spend my upgrade points would be helpful too. I'm always worried I'm wasting cash on sub-optimal upgrades or units I shouldn't even bother with.

So many attacks can be Cut or Shot down, if a unit has a Sword and/or Gun, Skill is the god stat. Especially since enemies won't decide to defend/dodge an attack that will only kill them with a crit. I think the problem with damage scaling is on the Armor side (Supers generally having less upgrades in particular), and the Defence Stat is still a good investment.

As for units, always use the MP Nu Gundam, Incom mode. I've also had fun with the Gun Blastor (with Junko for the Shrike Team attack) and Stilva, specialized in Skill.

• Locked thread