Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
  • Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

Don't usually make these posts for single BGMs but I reckon this warranted an exception:

It's been too long...now where's my Hi-Nu Gundam, Banpresto?!

Goddammit I need to buy this game tout de loving suite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Probably not. I suspect that if you get Build Fighters you only really get the customized units. MAYBE Beginning Gundam/Commando Gundam since they were uncustomized but piloted by protagonists.

That's pretty unlikely though since both of their pilots have units that they'd be much better off in unless Beginning and Commando suddenly become god units.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know, Commando Gundam had a much better showing than Miss Sazabi did!

Fair point, hell I forgot that it still had funnels, it fought so little.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

If I set up a japanese PSN account on my PS3, could I download japanese psp/vita games and then transfer them to my US vita? I've been thinking about getting some of the older SRW games on the japanese PSN while waiting for my copy of Z3 to arrive but I don't have a second memory card to be able to switch between accounts on my Vita.

No, you're stuck on the one account for Vita memory stick, hell I don't even know if you can dink around with a separate memory stick on the same Vita.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

PurplieNurplie posted:

Man, J is such a drat slog. It's been forever since I played the English translated games, but they still scratch that weird itch, I guess.

The OG games aren't as bad about the never-ending enemy/boss waves, right? I don't remember them being that bad, but like I said it's been forever since I played them.

When are J's originals gonna show up in a console game? The Granteed is drat overpowered and also looks pretty cool, it should be in more games.

Yeah, I think there was a scene in Dark Prison that had some dudes on a ship freaking out over sensors reacting to something from the moon. A lot of people are wondering how they'll handle the mechs since there's technically 4 playable mechs for 2 characters, 2 reals, 2 supers. Maybe they'll do something like what they did with the D crew, give Toya the Coustwell and Calvina the Bellzelute and give them the Granteed and Vorlent as secrets.

And yeah, J is a slog in the end, particularly in the last few Seed stages where every other enemy faction decides to come and party at Jachin Due and they all have around 3 or 4 bosses each with anywhere to 30-100k HP.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Does Sandrock still have hilariously high defense? Because that was one of my favorite things about Z2.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I just remember thinking it was hilarious that Sandrock had higher defense than Mazinger when they were both fully upgraded.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Gotta be honest, I don't know why you'd want to make a SRW VLP in the first place. The genre is really much better suited to screenshots.

Yeah, closest thing to a VLP you can do is posting videos of all the attacks of a unit. I tried streaming it with some friends and after a while it was just a slog.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Defying Destiny is seen as the 'good' choice.

Which makes sense because look at half of the Super Robot shows made in the last 10 years, they're mostly about how stupid the concept of fate is.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Oh god Excellen's going to have so much fun screwing with the female cast of J. Festenia'll go along with it but everyone else'll just get flustered as hell and it'll be terrific.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

The differences between Setsuko and Rand is far more then the difference between Calvina and Toya is.

In Z your protagonist choice determines what half the stages you play will be, in J there's like, one stage?

The first stage is different and you get the Original one stage later with one of them. Other than that it's just the individual character arcs, and that can be covered by just a simple little aside (Toya angsts pretty hard right here).
EDIT: A couple stages play out a little different because of previous characterization. The one that springs to mind is the Lacus level, which has Toya predeployed since he goes along with returning her to ZAFT compared to the more militarily disciplined Calvina.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

There's also the aftermath to stage...20 or 21, I forget which one. This is where you fight the Fury for the first proper time and meet Al-Van. Touya basically learns he is completely human and actually is part Fury, and mopes a little bit (again) before moving on. Calvina, on the other hand, goes loving ballistic on everyone in the hangar for letting Al-Van escape (since he revealed that he set up the deaths of her comrades during the stage). It takes both the Mithril people and the Cyber Beast Force to stop Calvina from going completely berserk.

That's more storyline stuff, the character arcs are pretty different, Toya's is pretty generic "High School Student gets a robot from his dad and saves the world, and Calvina's is slightly more interesting. Don't remember much of it outside of her blind rage but I remember it being better than Toya's.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

If you pick Mari over Asuka, does it unlock Beast mode for Eva 02?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

There is no Beast Mode in 3.1. It ends just after Eva-03/Original Aquarion being stolen

Well I guess that makes it slightly easier to decide, so it's pretty much just a spirit and slight stat change?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mutant Headcrab posted:

The Anti-Spiral in the dialogue pretty clearly says it does both. I just love how the UC Gundam scenes are all their original canon endings.

And Shinn goes right back to punching Kira in the face. The Z giveth and the Z taketh away.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

More Z3 BGMs:

Remix of the original Aquarion's theme, for the EVOL finale.

Ending theme of the Gurren Lagann movie.

I like the Gurren Lagann theme but it sounds way too much like Reason from Seed Destiny.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The secret is that Roger Smith is actually Scirocco's reincarnation.

Which would make Sarah Dorothy and that's just unpleasant. At the same time, Beck is totally Katz.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Okay who is the doof at Banpreso that gave Lulu the stupidest cut-in ever for the Shinkiro's final attack. I hate them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNvoFLcLVx0

The important thing is that World End has turned into an 80s power ballad based off that arrangement, and that's 100% ok in my book.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I love how Basara doesn't care that his singing does nothing at all to most enemies. Also that when it DOES do something like to the vajra, he also doesn't care. He just sings and is oblivious to anything changing or not changing as a result of his actions.

Man just wants people to listen to his song.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Hokuto posted:

"You, the one inside that thing. Do you claim that having a will makes you different from me?"
"Fumo!"
"But you're launching in that thing because someone wanted you to, just as I am the embodiment of the desires of the Spacenoids. We're alike, you and I."

Bonta-Kun is the embodiment of the desires of the Jindai High School students. A tiny, fuzzy vessel.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

A tiny, fuzzy vessel of destruction, you mean.

Well yeah, some of Sousuke and Kaname's classmates are just a little bonkers.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Rascyc posted:

So is Kamille

More interestingly, has there even been a SRW game that had Zeta gundam and not Four? Maybe Z2? I really can't remember.

Z2, and I don't recall her being in MX but I may be wrong since I'm only half done. The only two Zeta reps I've encountered so far are Kamille and Quattro in the Dijeh SE-R (it's just as glorious as I was hoping...) and the Full Armor Hyaku Shiki Kai.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Nope Kamille and Quattro are all you get from Zeta. Since it and ZZ are post season everyone else pretty much died like in canon, minus the Purus.

I'm super lost in MX, in other games I've been able to feel my way through it since I know the shows well enough but the only shows that I know in MX that are still going are Eva and G Gundam. I know the basic plot of Zeorymer off of J but it's being handled pretty differently since most stages with the Hakkeshu robots are just "Avoid it for a while and Masaki will deal with it."

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Tribladeofchaos posted:

The plots that you go through in MX are Eva, Rahxephon, Dendoh, Dragonar, Zeorymer, Grendizer and Machine Robo a bit. They handle them pretty well by pairing them off with similar series like Eva and Rahxephon and Gundam and Dragonar. And that's pretty much Zeorymer's plot, they show up and Masaki shows up and nukes them.

MX is good though if you keep going, and is pretty breakable as long as you're not playing the PSP version like I did. I also got kicks out of all the Sailor Moon jokes in the game too.

I am playing the PSP version.
I mean it's not horribly difficult but based off the guide I'm using, 75% of the bosses who run off got an HP boost that makes it impossible to kill the.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Ethiser posted:

I think you mean quintuple Inazuma Kick. Evangelion Unit 1 want in on that action.

Hextuple Inazuma Kick, Shinji has to dance like he means it with Asuka. Shuffle Alliance Attack eat your heart out.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Didn't Shin feature Gosterro from Layzner in the Devil Gundam or something like that?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Not even Lord Genome dies at the end of Z3 and the plot ends on a big ol' cliffhanger. Genome'll probably die to reform TTGL in the next game's ending and I doubt Nia'll die with him.

Whatever happens I just really hope that a regular Solvernia is playable, doesn't even need to be Tengen Toppa, I just really want a playable Nia.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm actually wondering if the final battle of Z3.2 is going to be anything like Alpha 3 where Basara, Ranka, Sheryl, and co. play the theme song for the game throughout every fight. If it wasn't obvious from my other posts in this thread I tend to go a little nuts for music stuff like that.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Considering the size of the cast, I'm wondering if the final battle'll have something ridiculous like 30 deployable units, or if it'll be 20 and they'll float you the 7 or 8 OG units that'll be forced deployments.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

oh my god that's what the Z in SRW Z stands for

Holy poo poo! I can see the world for what it truly is!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Magneito-Ten was from MX, and I think the team in Alpha Gaiden was called the Irregulars.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Onmi posted:

They were just the 3 Ship Alliance in J, because it was SEED and it infected everything.

It was the 3 Ship Alliance, but as per usual they booted the Kusanagi's rear end out for the Nadesico.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ShiunTouya posted:

For the only reason you should ever use a ship. Support.

Honestly I never had issues with it but I invested all of Lacus' points in dodging and that thing ended up with some nice dodge rates.

I remember waking up after drinking too much and finding that I put a couple points into Lacus' melee stat.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Then they made up for it by throwing about 5 or 6 of them at you in Z2.2. Some of them aren't even technically carriers, they're just ridiculously huge, like Shin Dragon.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Hokuto posted:

As far as Eva goes, I think that if they wanted to treat Mari as such a nonentity of a character, she shouldn't have been the default option for people who didn't take a certain path split. She should have been a secret to work toward.

I find this funny because it seems like the opposite of what they were going for. Asuka being there means that the player had to choose to abort the tests, and in the absence of player interference it's pretty safe to assume it's just business as usual for shows. The Cyber Newtype dies, Asuka pilots Unit 3, etc. Mari in Rebuild is treated pretty much the same way she is in the game. She's in the second movie for all of 30 minutes and I still don't think people know what the hell her deal is. She just happens to be the only person who enjoys the gently caress out of being an Eva pilot. I still haven't gotten around to seeing Rebuild 3.0 yet but from what I've heard, she's still just "That girl with glasses." That being said, it's lame as gently caress that she doesn't at least have beast mode, since that was really her primary thing when she piloted Unit 02.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at May 16, 2014 around 07:59

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Hokuto posted:

I can appreciate that as a "show default" option, and it's sensible. My beef is just with how literally nonexistent the character is. As in, people ask where the new pilot is, and the answer is "She said she was going to her room, and to act like she's not here," and they proceed to do so for the rest of the game. Even if this is necessitated by a lack of distinctive characterization in the movies, it feels weird having that in particular as the default.

Yeah, I guess their hands were tied as far as narrative goes.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

As a half serious suggestion, Lost Planet. As a not at all serious suggestion, Custom Robo.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

That's for when then they do Shonen Robot Toy fight SRW along with Build Fighters, Metabots, and Danball Senki

It's true, combine it with Frame Arms and Super Robot Chogokin and they could do pretty much a full game based entirely on toy to toy combat.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Midjack posted:

You know what else that gets you?

Metal Gear.

Along with Tiger & Bunny and s-CRY-ed. Gotta have as much punching action as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

TwoPair posted:

You know what it really gets you though? The ultimate adaptation of G Gundam.

Domon teaches Raiden and Rosemary the Love Love Tenkyoken.

• Locked thread