Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

It's just that it takes a turn or two to unlock the MAPs. Banpreios (or Wing Zero, Raideen or Gunbuster even) can clear a map with Zeal spam on turn one thanks to Basara and co.

When you get to the really late game in Alpha 3 you start to see Grunts with over 10k HP and minibosses everywhere, so the Ideon Gun is actually very helpful because it hits all of them at once and in 2 shots the entire map is either dead or in kill range for your other units. This is especially important in a no-upgrade run because the Ideon Gun has a fixed power of 9999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Note that I'm basically saying Ideon is convenient. It lets you do entire stages with one squad, assuming you attach it to a Puru or something with Awaken, so you don't even need to use Basara and other support pilots. It takes one or two turns of them getting hit but after that you're basically done with everything.

Kanos posted:

Playing most modern SRWs(i.e. anything past like Alpha Gaiden) with no upgrades feels less like a challenge run and more of a tedium tolerance test.

I agree partially. Regular upgrades for mobility, armor or accuracy are largely optional with proper SP use. In fact I'd say that getting more than a handful of them makes the game more boring because your guys are effectively immortal.

Weapons feel obligatory to me, on the other hand. Alpha Gaiden was the last game in which I did not upgrade weapons (granted, that was partly because one of Alpha 2's secrets requires Weapon upgrade bars and I never looked back). Ever since then SRW games have been giving you more player units that have little trouble being invincible vs grunts while sending awful bosses with tons of HP at you.

Figuring out a way to nuke down the three copies of The Edel in 1 Turn is more fun to me than plinking at them for 3 or 4 turns while pretending their attacks are scary.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 30, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I just want to say that Insalaum would not be half as good as an antagonist faction as it is in Z2.2 without having Rand and Setsuko in that game.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Z3.2 has absurd expectations to live up to and I have no idea how Bamco is going to make a game that won't disappoint.

Ethiser posted:

Sounds like it is time to introduce combo map attacks.

IIRC in R the Frost Brothers had a combo MAPW.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You are about to hear the best antagonist theme in all of OG. Enjoy.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I did say OG.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I dunno man, so far best theme is still Time Diver.

I also said antagonist.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I watched the Robotech version of Macross as a kid and then Macross 7 waaaaay down the line, I didn't realize that Max & Millia were the aces from the original until the show actually mentioned their past. It was mind-blowing to see how much the years had changed them, to the point of getting a divorce. And they both make up just enough before the finale to go out and kick rear end together.

The battle banter helps too. They're like a window into the future of Kyosuke and Excellen but with actual development. :v:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The only thing off the table are series whose creators have stated they would never give Bamco the licenses like Sakura Wars or Rayearth.

Did UX use the anime version of Demonbane? Because if they used the game version then Muv-Luv Alternative has a shot.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Hokuto posted:

Is there a source for this? I keep seeing it mentioned but never with a citation.

I usually try not to repeat rumors when it comes to SRW and I was fairly sure that I got this from a legit source sometime, but I'm trying to recall it right now and I'm coming up empty.

So I guess both of them are still on the table.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Getsuya posted:

Aaaaaand ragequit.

If you have a save from before you beat the first Zyflud, do this: Hit him with your weakest attacks until you've triggered all of Laodecia's regenerations (should be 3/4), they are at (IIRC) 90%, 70%, 50% and maybe 30% health. Then murder his face. Do the same with Euzeth.

You can also preemptively send people to where Euzeth spawns to do all this before he even gets a turn.

Gaius Marius posted:

It's not that big of a deal but if you were using Takeru as one of your frontline real dodge tanks and then he suddenly gets stuck in the susanoo it's probably gonna annoy you. Also skills like focus are going to be useless in something like the susanoo since it's going to be using it's barrier to tank damage anyway. Probably the best solution is to force him to use it on the one opertaion ouka mission then let him switch between the Susanoo and the Type 00c Takemikazuchi he pilots in The Day After.

Max dodges with the Macross 7, there is no reason to believe Takeru wouldn't be able to do the same. Especially with all the love for unique FUB/Ace bonuses these days. Halfway upgrade the Susanoo for +25 Evasion? Sure, why not.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

You could make him a Real with a super set of spirits, like Kallen or Gai Daigouji.

Iron Wall/Guard + high-end barriers is always hilarious.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This is a reminder that Super Robot Wars Scramble Commander the 2nd existed and was a good game. Just don't try 1 first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Yhp-iGMa0&t=61s

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

I don't think I'd call it outright GOOD but it's not horrible. :shobon:

But it is a RTS with Mazingers and Gundams and you get to directly pilot them and and... Okay maybe my standards are lower when it comes to these games.

It doesn't help that the video linked was the only gameplay video I could find.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If you want good characters stuff then I'll back up what others have said: Turn A Gundam, Eureka Seven and Shin Mazinger. You have a nice mix of super/real genre conventions and differences in plot and tone there. You might like Nadesico, Code Geass and Aquarion as well.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Good, you should play the PS2 version. While it is so easy you'll need to make up your own challenges to keep it fun, the PSP version has terribad loading times and the inflated HP pools drag the game down even more - all they do is slow stages down, not make them any harder. There's one or two less stages but who cares, PS2 MX is fast and simple and that can be a pretty nice change of pace considering these games have 40+ stages each.

Also the writing is one of the best pre-Z games, which is cool too. But that goes for both versions. :v: Point is, MX is a fine choice.

e: Oh right, tips:

-Consider keeping everyone at an equal level and spread out the money in upgrades too. It will make some of the stages where you only have a handful of units much easier. It will also add a semblance of challenge to the other 90% of stages since you will have to keep the low-tier units alive.

-The D-Team has a pretty good shooting combo attack but D-1's final attack (you get it pretty late in the game) is melee and it is one of, if not the, best finishers in the game.

-Only upgrade armor for the Evas. That's all they need to laugh at every grunt unit in the game. Bosses will make mincemeat of them without using Seishin though, so if you don't have Flash or something else active, always defend when a boss unit attacks. Angels also pierce A.T. Fields innately, so never let them hit your Evas.

-While your Original is, as always, the best choice for a sweeper or boss killer unit if you want to bank all your upgrades into a single character, Rahxephon is arguably the best unit in the game.

-The Dijeh (secret unit from Zeta Gundam), Stark Deins (Dragonar) and TFO (Grendizer) are the most deceptively overpowered units in the whole game. The first two have free spammable finishers with decent range (1-4 IIRC) while the TFO is basically an unhittable support unit in a game where any mook dies in 1 hit if you know what you are doing.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 22, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

Also you have Zeorymer near the end of the game.

So, you know.

Enjoy that and RahXephon. :v:

Oh right, Zeorymer. That thing is so absurdly broken I completely forgot it existed, since you can just toss it at anything and it will wreck face.

Yeah, never not use Zeorymer. That'd be your third contender for strongest unit in the game.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This is only tangentially related but the thread is a little quiet and I figure some of you might be interested.

I am running a Kickstarter for a tabletop Mecha RPG called Battle Century G. It is pretty much a love letter to SRW, translating the spirit of the franchise to roleplaying, so if you like playing pretend with giant robots you lose nothing by giving the free version of the manual a skim.

e: And I forgot to say, I don't want to derail this thread so if you have any questions or comments we should take it to the TG Kickstarter one.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 28, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I cannot wait until Klim Nick and Harry Ord show up in the same game to be Quattros together.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Caphi posted:

WELCOME BAKC

This is too perfect to be a typo.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

How to make W's GaoGaiGar the single most powerful non-Valzacard unit in the game:

1) Give it some Energy. Upgrades/En Regen works.
2) You're done. No, really, that's it.

Unless you're doing a "challenge" run of W (good luck making it hard), the moment you make up for its EN weakness it becomes an unstoppable beast. You could argue that Hiver is better because of the MAPW, sure, but that still makes it part of the top 3.

Also Yuusha oh Tanjou is kind of a really popular song and you're going to have to put in a lot of effort if you want to convince anyone that it is "annoying", and the same goes for GGG's design being "dumb", as you say.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You could also play with Hathaway in Compact 3. Along with Riina Ashta. No, they weren't worth the trouble and Compact 3 is not a very good game.

Also chalk me up as another person who plays with SEED Destiny units even though I kind of don't really want to, because they fix the characters just enough to win me over with cool animations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I watched the entirety of Gundam Age and couldn't finish the first episode of Cross Ange. Don't watch Cross Ange.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I have to agree that ALLCAPS should be kept to a minimum. A single "!" at the end is enough, for the most part. Save the caps lock for lines where the actors are yelling themselves out of a voice.

Also Ikusagami's script is rough but it is what convinced me to play SRW A and untranslated SRWs after that. Without it (and his partial R script) I might not have bothered to watch Zeta or Zambot either. Also the earnest effort in translating Izumi's puns got a groan out of me in a good way. It is serviceable, is what I'm saying.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

GodofDiscord posted:

So wait, I should have been upgrading my weapons all this time? Not my stats, armor and HP, but I should have dumped it all on weapons and then the game gets easier?
poo poo, everyone's sitting on Weapon Level 5 and I'm only just starting 54.
Also I never really use Basara because I don't understand how to use the guy, but from what I've read then that morale boost is really interesting.
And I've only really bought the parts from the bottom screen of the D-Trader. I only just now bought one of the system things. (The Z chip one)

Oh yeah by the way what else besides a x% of money gets carried over in NG+?

Look at it this way: You can get by without upgrading stats or weapons until you run into the few really dangerous enemies that the games have and, when you do, then if you are missing upgrades you have to be careful with defensive SP usage and you will be fine, if you are missing weapons instead you are also fine but the process is two or three times as long. If you want to make the game easier, upgrade weapons.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I wish SRW had actual difficulty selection and you could outright tell the game to disable most upgrades and purchasable skills from the get go. Skill points are okay as side objectives but make for a terrible difficulty setting mechanic.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Re OG1 vs OG2: I think it boils down to how much you like traditional SRW gameplay compared to the more unique OG features.

In OG1 you're still deploying people in Gespensts during the end battle and figuring out who gets which mech, who to give your equippable weapons, who gets the repair and resupply modules and so on. In OG2 you have custom ace bonuses, and arguably the chain attack system is an improvement (I think it is an excuse for HP bloated grunts everywhere) but the multitude of super prototypes locked to a single pilot without any room for equippable stuff makes it lose a lot of the appeal that OG1 had. If we're talking OGs, OG1 gains the benefits while also taking better advantage of custom ammo better.

The individual level design kind of boils down to taste as well. I'd rather have fifteen water stages than fifteen Einst stages. Omni went into the annoyances of OG2 level design already but I can't let a chance to curse the Einst pass. I played Impact, let me have this.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Mercurius and Vayeate also show up in Alpha. I remember being surprised at seeing them in the final OZ stage, their only showing for me since I hadn't followed any of the Wing routes.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Oh my god Impact, I barely managed to finish the 1st stage. I think I'll die before making it halfway through if don't stop.

Impact starts at its worst and (very slowly) gets better after that. Kyosuke's first chunk of the story is set in Earth and that is when the 3d camera hurts most and you have the least funds and items. After that the game gets slowly better until you can overpower stages with quality high-grade units the Ez-8 and Texas Mack. The post-90 stages even come close to a feeling of being fun-like.

Please do not play Impact.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

V-up parts are so broken in impact it pretty much makes part slots the most important stat?

It is V-Ups and W-Ups, yeah. Two V-Ups means something like +800 Armor and +80 Mobility (give or take) and two W-Ups means +800 Atk. Add to it that back then the weaker units had more upgrade bars (and were cheaper to upgrade) and the RX-78 vastly outperforms the Nu. If you don't mind a glass cannon you can stack up four W-Ups instead and watch everything just die.

I kinda sorta miss V-Ups and W-Ups to be honest, because they give you a legit good reason to use things like a Botune or the Aphrodai. But as long as Bamco can make Boss Borot and friends useful without them, I'm fine.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Librastar-T? I can see where the S comes from with the Virgola, but not the T for the LIbrastar. I was expecting a name more like a Librastar-W.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Double Mugen Punch! Mass produced Gaizocks! Punching Asakim's upgraded smug face! Throwing Jupiter at bad guys!

I haven't been so hype for a new SRW game since Z2.1.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

^ I am disappointed at the lack of Dancouga, but I am even more disappointed that the DOUBLE BUSTER COLLIDER UWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH does not hit two enemy units.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

TheManSeries posted:

I'm willing to bet that they only showed the single unit animation.

True. There is hope.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I want Calvina in OG. Touya can join Giado & Garnet in the background for all I care.

Rascyc posted:

Give them to the R originals since they seem so insistent on keeping their godmachines locked up.

That would need them to stop actively making GBS threads on the R cast. Didn't they have to be told to even INCLUDE them in their support bot in OGs2nd in the first place?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Prism posted:

Also note that in most games he's in (I haven't checked Z3) if he goes berserk, and you drop the berserk EVA-01, it pays for its own repair - and EVAs are expensive.

This sounds deliciously exploitable. Does this affect Shinji's Synch Ratio? Does he respawn if you shoot him down so you can pull this multiple times per stage?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

Here's what I could find in here:

• Upgrade any mech's HP and EN to 10 = Micro ZONE: Restores 5000 HP and 50 EN to ALL friendly units. Can only use once per map. 35000 Chips.
  • Have someone cast Valor = Revive Cell: +100 Weapon/Song power, +50 Armor for every 10 levels on the equipped pilot (i.e. the effect increases at level 10, 20, 30, etc). The effect is NOT cumulative with several Revive Cells equipped. 5500 Chips.
  • Have someone cast Renew = DEC Magazine: At the start of the Player Phase, fully restores all friendly units' ammo. 3500 Chips.
  • Hit an enemy from over range 12 = Trans-Dimensional Target Lock: Increases the range of all weapons by 2, including point-blank attacks. 4000 Chips.
  • Anyone learns both Support Attack and Defend L3 = Firebug Membership Card: +5 morale whenever unit deals over 5k damage, +5 SP whenever it takes over 2k damage. 3000 Chips.
  • Upgrade the Z-Crystal to grade 3 = Fox Mask: equipped main pilot deploys at max SP. 3000 Chips.
  • DMJ Collection = Purchase 5 special D-Trader items (not the regular, cheap ones): Cast Exhaust/Daunt on all enemy units. Can only use once per map. 2500 Chips.

These things are insane but about what I've come to expect by now. What does 'deploys at max SP' mean though? Does it mean a pilot starts with 999 SP? 99? :psyduck:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

KoB posted:

In Z3 everyone starts at half SP and has native SP regen.

That is surprisingly reasonable all things considered.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Chamber's melee attack is beautiful. Everything else...

Also now that the Z series is over, how did you feel about your sphere holder? Preemptive apologies to all you Pisces' and Capricorns.

Aquarius leads one of the better OG antagonist factions, has a hilariously overdesigned mech, his sphere power is cool but comes with terrible consequences and has amazing music. No complaints here.

A shame they couldn't do all the spheres justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

MechaX posted:

Man, I am really struggling to make it through Z3-1 for some reason. I think it's because I don't know a lot of these series to really get invested in what's going on.

I'm thinking about picking up MX Portable, since my PS2 is on the fritz. I've heard that the entire "double enemy HP bars" kinda makes the game balance very wonky in later missions. How bad does it end up getting?

MX Portable is a chore. The load times are bad, the 3d map is awkward, the game is mindlessly easy and the HP bloat makes it slower not harder. I couldn't even finish it when I liked the original MX enough to play it twice doing challenge runs. And I even beat Impact.

Don't play MX Portable.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 11, 2015

• Locked thread