Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
"As Hibiki works to master the Genion's new power, Suzune has a fit of irrational hysteria towards him and takes the Genion out herself."

For gently caress's sake, Z3, you're not helping me have any hope about Suzune whatsoever.

(I know it's actually going to be something that's supposed to make sense in the context of the Gemini's feedback, but that doesn't make it sound or feel any better, especially when they actually use the word "hysteria.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was still common belief in Japan that hysteria only affected women.

But just to check, what's the pre-translation source for that?

Oh, sorry. It's at the bottom of the new page detailing DLC chapters.

ジェニオンの新たな力を使いこなそうとするヒビキに対して、スズネは理不尽なヒステリーをぶつけ、自らジェニオンに乗り込む。

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm being extremely optimistic with the idea that the actual chapter is clearly Sphere Bullshit and the blurb has just summarized it for some reason in the most unfortunate-sounding way possible.

e: or maybe that it's an actual dumb reaction she has but it somehow comes out of their actual relationship and characters at that stage?

Saying "irrational hysteria" is still the stupidest way of putting it, what the hell.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 4, 2014

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I liked both Crowe and Esther as a combination (with the usual misgivings). The trouble with Rand is that I'm pretty sure most of the relationships he already had are now gone. More of Crowe's/Esther's and Setsuko's buddies are still around.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
To be clear, I mean the licensed buddies. Crowe still has Celestial Being, Aoyama, Duo, and Karen.

Anyway here's how the Suzune thing is probably going down.

Hibiki and Suzune are having legitimate tension. Maybe it's about someone's methods, or what they want to do with the Genion. Very likely it's because the new Sphere villain and/or Asakim has shown up (take note: the Genion has shown a hint of special power and Hibiki is trying to handle it) and they're under a lot of stress as a result. When Hibiki does the wrong thing with the Gemini, it affects Suzune's mind (as Spheres do) and exacerbates their issues, leading to a sequence where Hibiki goes after her and has to try and resolve his end of the problem to bring her back, which causes them to be in sync again and access the Gemini's next level of power and unlock a new attack with a dual cut-in.

This is framed in the ad/preview/blurb as "SUZUNE HAS GONE MAD AND HATES HIBIKI, HOW COULD THIS BE, WHAT WILL HIBIKI DO" per the Superdickery principle, and is phrased and delivered in the worst bad-anime way possible. I make no denial of or excuses for that. It's incredibly disappointing. It's not like my scenario is a great dynamic either, but the blurb makes it sound somehow even worse. (I still can't believe they actually used the word "hysteria.")

One ray of hope: there's a chance that Suzune's brief stint in the Genion is also setting her up to eventually get her own half of the Geminion. After all, Esther taking the Brasta out in Z2.1 led directly to her getting the Es (though I certainly hope the second Geminion isn't Brasta Es-tier). At the time, I was thinking of Eiji getting to briefly pilot Sol Σ Gravion in Gravion Zwei because he had briefly stolen the Gran Kaiser early in the series.

I'm trying really hard to hope this won't be awful, you guys. Help me out here.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Brunom1 posted:

On the topic of Gamefaqs' projects, a group of people have started a crowd-sourced translation of Z3 over here.

I've been transcribing, editing and translating what I can but the more people who are willing to contribute, the better.

Even if you can't translate, simply transcribing the lines is a huge help. The Gamefaqs' thread is here.

Oh, god, is that the project this YJ clown signed on to? Abort. Abort now.

And dear lord, don't crowdsource translation. Z is a large, coherent body of work that needs a lot of integration and context at every step, not to mention a good team of writers with a grasp of style. YJ has none of these things. I've seen his work on Z3 (what there was of it), he has basically no Japanese comprehension at all, let alone a fraction of the ability to manage a translation project of this size, scope, and complexity.

For the record, I personally would not set out to do Z3. (This is partly because I'm not done with it and I would want to play the hell out of it, and the other Z games, in preparation to understand all the plots' points and vectors before I even thought of putting words to paper.)

e: if I had to crowdsource a text-heavy RPG I really liked for some reason, I sure wouldn't choose GameFAQs as my talent pool. I remember being the kind of kid who hung out on GameFAQs. I wouldn't trust that guy within five miles of a translation project.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 2, 2014

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Kanos posted:

Seriously, you could have excised her entirely from Z2-2 and basically nothing would have changed. She wasn't even the catalyst behind Crowe finally upgrading.

...yes she is? Every time Crowe makes a Sphere breakthrough, it's pretty much about his guilt re: Esther. It's her Violation that levels up his Sphere again and forces Traia to develop the Li-Brasta and CDS.

I'm not going to claim Esther was impressive or progressive but she is very much a part of Crowe's story from beginning to end.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

I think the teacher in Z3 may be worse than Esther in terms of actually doing poo poo. She is just so loving boring. I can't think of a single even remotely interesting thing she does in the course of the entire game beyond provide the fuel for your basic finisher.

Has occasional bouts of (ahem) "irrational hysteria." They're actually almost interesting and I have a theory about what they are, but to be honest, it still doesn't help her case that much. I'm only in endgame so I don't know if they do anything with it or if they'll deal with it in the second Z3.

My original, optimistic theories about Suzune are all out the window, though, and I'm actually very disappointed about it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My main problem with Hibiki, and this might be weird, is just what the gently caress is the point of Boost Up?

It doesn't seem to be related to his Sphere. It's not really connected to what bit of personality he has. It isn't even particularly connected to his weird backstory/revenge/throbbing scar eye thing. It's just a superpower he has because anime.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

KoB posted:

At the end of Z3 do they address Nia at all? Is she still dying or do they just ignore it?

Just finished my second run getting all the SR point and got the 30,000,000 cash trophy on the last stage :v:

Now just have to fill out the scenario chart to clear it completely.

As I remember it, Lordgenome said that she would no longer live forever, and she said that's fine, she'll just live with Simon as long as she can just like every other living thing. Basically she's Arwen now.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Tae posted:

Speaking of lack of hit and away, playing z2.2 made me HATE Tiera and Lockon. Like, of all the people you don't give Hit and Away, you don't give it to the heavy artillery and Sniper but give it to the extremely mobile Aerial transformer???

With a custom bonus that turns all its weapons (P) (still true in Z3!).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ethiser posted:

So what is the deal with Evangelion in Z3? Do the angels and all the conspiracy stuff have anything to do with other series or is it all pretty much self contained and similar to the show?

EVA is from its very own alternate universe, like Aquarion EVOL. Shinji makes friends with, is supported by, and sometimes even supports half the rest of the cast. Kaworu goes around trolling the final bosses a lot. It's implied that Gendou has the same thing going on that he did in Alpha 3.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Golden Battler posted:

What thing is that? I never played Alpha 3.

in Alpha 3 he mentioned after you beat him that he was trying to get humanity to ascend to protect it from the Apocalypsis, based on the fact that the Protoculture kind of did the same thing. In Z3 one of the last bosses, possibly the Anti-Spiral, mentions to Shinji that his dad is trying to apotheosize humanity, which is a thing a bunch of other final bosses mention as the way to survive Ba'al and/or "the closing of the 12,000 year cycle."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Gyra_Solune posted:

Z3 is really weird because you have events of patently cosmic scale beyond even Alpha 3 whose entire plot was 'big galaxy-wide poo poo is going down like never before seen' what with Gurren Lagann and Gunbuster and EVOL and the KING OF ALL SPACE thing with Tetsujin, but then Full Metal Panic is also there and even the Titans are still hanging around clinging to a very standard Gundam plot.

In any case, didn't Shu's route in EX entirely base itself upon 'I am going to take down this deity of darkness with Titans rejects'?

Amalgam are enormous jerks in Z3, but they're basically the only ones. Everything in Neo Zeon falls under the umbrella of "jerks Char was keeping around to do his completely amazing Beyond the Time gambit," which, you may have guessed from that description, I find 100% forgivable. And actually, now that I mention it, Frontal's goal was of cosmic importance as far as he was concerned. Besides, Char says it outright when you confront him on Neo Zeon's actions with that very line: "yes, I'd like the world to be saved, but I'm also thinking of what will become of it once it is," which is a totally valid and very Char approach to Z3's theme of letting people choose their own futures.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Tribladeofchaos posted:

I've pretty much given up hope for supers in general for OG. :smith: It's pretty much always been a Real type, especially in OGs.

At least with the Garden of Gan-Eden wrecked, we've got a thematic in to roll in the Valguard (though it will still start as the Valhawk). And am I wrong, or are we also due for J?

Some of the other recent ones (by which I'm thinking of Solverius, Rushbird, and Genion) feel more like hybrids (sorta fast, sorta tough, shield maybe?) than anything. And if they do ever find a way to get Z in, there's the possibility of temporarily getting to use Chaos Leo, Pearlnail, and Ascleps.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

If I'm understanding it right, Axis is the singularity that created this new world, meaning that it can repair the dimension whatever and save the world from Eternity Flat. Threatening to crash it into the earth was Char's plan to get all of humanity focused on it and do that dimension repair thing. He didn't tell the rest of Neo Zeon this though; rather that it was for the normal revenge for the one year war stuff, so they felt betrayed.

It goes way beyond that - Char realized that he was a Singularity and Axis was the Grand Singularity, because the turning point of the timeline's future is the Axis Drop which creates the world of Paradigm City. He orchestrates the drop to occur exactly when the New Federation ladies are broadcasting to the entire world asking its people to choose their own future, stasis or slaughter. He's also arranged for a lot of people to engineer an absolutely massive psychic focusing complex using GN particles, Fold Quartz, and a ZONE as a resonator to transmit all of their thoughts right to the asteroid in descent.

Meanwhile, he manipulates the battle between his Neo Zeon and Z-BLUE to draw Full Frontal, who he knows to be the other joined world Singularity (like Kei and Orson), out into the combat at the same time as he is, because he needs Frontal's cooperation, much like Kei and Orson had to work together to restore the UCW.

Frontal, of course, is earnestly trying to drop Axis, for the usual reasons and additionally because he believes it's what the true and correct Char Aznable would do. I don't remember if it's suggested that he's from an alternate future where the drop occurred, but he is definitely from an alternate universe with a different Char he witnessed.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ethiser posted:

While we are talking about Z3 How much do the characters remember about the past three games? Do they remember all of it and just edit out the missing characters or do they think different events went down?

In general, the assumption is that the characters who are not in the game were gapped out of the combined world in the quake and are now in another one.There are some inconsistencies in some of the characters' memories but it's an explicit plot point.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I was talking with a friend about the scans and we're both sort of concerned that the page about Sphere Reactors still lists the owner of the Capricorn Sphere as unknown.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Brunom1 posted:

Maybe they mean the original owner, before Asakim took it?

Phlogistic posted:

It says Asakim has it, though? Definitely not listed as unknown.

They probably do mean the original owner (Aries and Aquarius are attached to who you'd think); it just makes me think that the original owner isn't as cut and dried as some of us have been assuming since Z2 ended. Or maybe it is, and they're just being incredibly cagey. Either way, it was something we thought worth noting.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Phlogistic posted:

But it also has Asakim listed as the "Inquisitive Goat" right to his left. As Brunom said, they're probably just referring to whoever Asakim had to gank to get that sphere.

:sigh:

Yes. This is obvious. We all know Asakim has it, and that he's the one associated with it, even though it's not his. None of this is under debate. What we are discussing is what possible reasons they have for being so coy and avoiding stating outright that the Curious Goat's Reactor was Zeine.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

EthanSteele posted:

As I type this I realize I can probably check by going over allies in the aoe and seeing if they have a hit percentage or not, but is there any way to see if a map attack will hit allied units or not?

It says in the little MAP attack overview. Z2 example because it's the only one I have handy:

It's the second thing on the last line (lit. Enemy/Ally Distinction). 無効 hits allies. 有効 doesn't.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

generally though, most everything hits allies unless there's a specific reason why it wouldn't. The only MAP attack in Z2/Z2.2 that's ally friendly that I can think of is Kira's.

I just looked it up; the only ones that have it in the first Z2 are Super Dragoon, the Leviadamon's Lightning Burst, and Geiltiran's Infinity Nova.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

drrockso20 posted:

It just comes off as too cynical and way too much of a middle finger to the Mecha genre for me to want it anywhere near SRW

Nadesico has been in SRW. Like, twice.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Prince of Darkness doesn't really count, but TV Nadesico has more scorn for the genre and anyone who likes it than every version of EVA. SRW just converts all the piss-taking to non-irony and makes Gai the hero and the troll ending into a serious love story, just like it gets Shinji to become all about friendship and duty along with everyone else on the team.

It's not even like world-shattering apocalypses are new to the Z setting, either. They've been through several and they'll go through several more, Third Impact or otherwise. The Age of the Sun is upon us, and the cycle of 12,000 years is about to close, you know?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Davzz posted:

2nd last, I believe. The real final boss is an Original character, as usual.

That guy is an epilogue. He'll probably be the final boss of the full Z3 experience, but the Anti-Spiral is considered the final stage of Z3.1. The game's original final boss is a speedbump on the way to that guy, too.

Z3.1 is awesome.

Rand and Crowe are both off type and I can't wait for either of them to crash the OG party. Setsuko is probably going to have some OG dude step in to comfort her, though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Yinlock posted:

I thought his entire plan actually hinged on NOT dropping it, the entire prison is basically built around that one decision but Full Frontal screws it up by being an exact copy of him and also a total douchebag. So Char essentially stalls long enough to set up some serious space wizardry.

also CCA is like way way better with Full Frontal as it's villain since he's basically Char Minus Zeta in this game

He's dropping it, he's just gambling that the Restoration will kick in before it does any actual damage. He's probably right, but Frontal and Gadlite cock it up. Part of the reason he lured Z-BLUE there specifically was as a contingency.

Yinlock posted:

A good rule of thumb on battleships: Is the battleship's name also the title of the show it's coming from? If no then it's gonna be Pretty Bad 90% of the time.

Dragon's Hive.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ethiser posted:

Isn't that impossible with the way dimension hopping works in the Z universe?

Yes. The fact that this is the exception is specifically called out as the clue to the identity of the Singularity.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The GL fight was special from a plot and mechanical perspective and I will join the group that would like it to stay that way.

Besides, I'm going to be that guy and say that BEYOND THE TIME was a way better setpiece.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm always going to have a soft spot for W, which was my first real game (tragically, because of Voltron).

Play Z though. Z owns. Everything about Z (except Hibiki) owns.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Hokuto posted:

I miss classic Guts. It's positively magical for this reason.

Remember when Ingram beats the R-1 to within an inch of its structural integrity specifically to trigger Ryusei's skill?

I love it when they do that. I think nowadays you just Vigor back immediately and unlock a new attack.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

I finally watched the final episode of Unicorn, and well...I don't know how Z3-3 is going to work that finale into the story and make it as significant as I an sure they want to, since for most of the cast, the history of the federation/Zeon conflict isn't THEIR history.

The Marcenas family is tied into Chronos so it's probably something completely different, like a fragment of the Black Blackened History or a key to the Space Prison.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Hokuto posted:

Here's a translation of the Ideon Gauge mechanics, taken from here.

Ideon gets attacked at all: +2 points
For every platoon sub-unit that attacks Ideon: +1 point

It's +2 each time Ideon is attacked, and +1 for each of Ideon's own followers that gets attacked.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Dr Pepper posted:

Why one and not the other one may ask?

Who knows, Alpha is weird.

Verisimilitude, basically. Robots that replace their old versions and aren't said to be built on them (V2, Billbine, RyuKoOh) don't inherit the old versions' upgrades. I believe in Alpha, the Grungust 3 is destroyed entirely before RyuKoOh takes the heroes out; its parts aren't used in RyuKoOh or anything like in OG.

e: Steel Cockpit is in my head now and until now I had forgotten this song existed.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 8, 2014

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I hope no one is talking poo poo about Z's Beyond the Time.

(I agree that Z2.2 did sort of cram in Rand and Setsuko, but what Z2 has done with ZEUTH post-series interacting with ZEXIS, and Quattro's long-running arc through all four games, are worth a lot of points.)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
This is why Z3 just throws all of its series that are "done" into a time vortex and calls it. The only weird effect of leaving people out seems to have been having to rename the Black History since they no longer have Turn A.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Midjack posted:

Furthermore: how many systems would they want to smear the Z series across? You already need at least 3 different consoles to play the ones we already have (OK, 2 if you have a launch JP PS3). Making Z3.2 a PS4 exclusive would be really obnoxious.

The original Z is a PS2 Classic, so you don't need PS2 hardware unless you already had the disc. We've been wondering if Z2 is going to get an HD version or something like that for ages, but I feel like the time for that would have been when Z went up before Z3 (at which time Z2 was simply rereleased as Best Of on sale).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Or Ryusei. I'm pretty sure I remember him not having Focus in OG3.

e: checked and I'm right. Just Strike.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Raxivace posted:

Do we think GBF will ever show up?

I hope Build Fighters never shows up. SRW is way into unironic ridiculous large-scale spectacle and Build Fighters is into something wonderful but very different. Even assuming they could exposit their way in (and I believe it, SRW is shameless), everything lovable about the show would end up even worse off than Dai-Guard.

(I mean, I love Dai-Guard as a unit, and Akagi has some good character moments, but honestly.)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
You're going to play Z and Z3, too, right? You may want to play Z before you get to Z2-2, and once you're in that deep you really should go on to Z3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yes, you get some money for each clear and a bunch of extra money (and I think an Emblem of Destruction?) for completing the chart.

I mean, you get the Emblem, I'm pretty sure it's from completing the chart and not just the game.

nope I'm super wrong it's been a couple years since I played Z2-2

Caphi fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 13, 2014

• Locked thread