Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
well new thread, guess I'll share the SRW Mangas I have;

Super Robot Wars 64: Rai Kanketsuhen Part 1
Super Robot Wars 64: Rai Kanketsuhen Part 2

Super Robot Wars Alpha 3: Counterattack of the Dragon King
English Transcription

there are also 2 manga for Alpha Gaiden(both of which have been translated), and several 4-Koma volumes for multiple games(including a mostly translated one for W), but I don't have those on me currently, also neither of the ones I've posted have been properly translated(although the SRW Alpha 3 one does have a translated script for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Well at least we have justification for Char going CCA on us, his memory's been screwed with and thus doesn't remember the Black History stuff from Z1 that was supposed to be keeping him from doing this kind of thing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kanos posted:

SRW was actually really good about this for quite a while when we actually got multiple main character choices. Since we've downsized to having only one main character they seem to want to play it extremely safe to avoid pissing off their fanbase so we always get Generico McHeroguy as our lead with the female "protagonist" designated love interest/sidekick/powerup device/macguffin to protect and rescue.

Kinda makes me wonder why they even bother putting OG characters in these days

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

So when I blabbed about making up series lists earlier and someone posited 'well sometimes it's better if you just take random shows and make them work out', and because I am an insane person, I basically went and compiled every single show I see as being SRW-able, alongside some Western stuff, video games, and even that Exo-Force thing Lego did a while back because it was as anime as possible.

Here are all 246 of them. Note that satellite series I tagged onto others - i can't imagine who would want to use Mazinger without Great Mazinger if you don't count K, the pre-Zeta Gundam OVAs would be tagged onto one or the other presumably, Astray and Destiny are all under SEED, pretty much anything Macross that isn't 7 or Frontier would be tagged to the original. Usage of a list randomizer would indeed allow for easily making effectively off the wall cast lists should one look at the first or last 10-20 entries there.

Note that results will inevitably include lots of tiresome unnoticed 70s super robot shows, cheesy 80s apocalyptic OVAs, fanservice-crazed 90s OVAs, utterly forgettable real robot 2000s shows, and Daimidaler or Dai Shogun all the time because random.org hates me. ^.^

Feel free to prod me about things that ought or ought not to be on this, I haven't watched the vast majority of these and don't intend to, so yeah. And you better share amusing results.

you're missing a couple of series/movies/OVA's off the top of my head are; Great War of The Flying Saucer, Mazinger Angels, Cybernetic Guardian, MD Geist, Brigadoon, Mazinger USA, Reideen The Superior, Engage Planet Kiss Dum, Shin Seki Den Mars, Gyrozetter, Sym-Bionic Titan, Machine Robo Rescue, Mighty Orbots, Starship Troopers: Uchu No Senshi, MADOX-01, Guyver(because why not), and any Transformers series, although I am impressed that you know about AMdriver(I'd give a non-essential organ for a complete set of raws for that show let alone a proper translation)

also if we're talking about ideas for Super Robot Wars games, here's my most recent idea for a One Year War centered game that does not go into Zeta, ZZ, or CCA(it baffles me how little the OYW has shown up in SRW and how all of them go into Zeta and beyond), tell me what you think of it;

1. Shin Mazinger Z-Hen
2. New Getter Robo
3. Mobile Suit Gundam
4. Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
5. Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War In The Pocket
6. Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories
7. Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War*
8. Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079*
9. Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Deleted Affair ~ Portrait of Young Comet*
10. Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: The Blue Destiny*
11. Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: Space, To the End of A Flash*
12. Mobile Suit Gundam Battlefield Record U.C. 0081 -The Wrath of Varuna*
13. Mobile Suit Gundam: Thunderbolt*
14. Mobile Suit Gundam: We're Federation Hooligans!!*
15. Gaiking: Legend of Daikyu-Maryu
16. Kotetsushin Jeeg
17. Combattler V
18. Voltes V
19. Zambot 3
20. Daitarn 3
21. Go Lion
22. Aura Battler Dunbine
23. The Wings of Rean
24. Panzer World Galient*
25. The Vision of Escaflowne
26. Lord of Lords Ryu Knight
27. Reideen*
28. Mado King Granzort*
29. Star Driver*
30. Hades Project Zeorymer
31. The Five Star Stories(Movie)*
32. Metal Armor Dragonar

*Series Debut

one of the more notable details is that besides Gundam there are only two non-Magic Real Robot series included in this list, Dragonar(which works perfectly with OYW era Gundam), and The Five Star Stories(because the odds of it getting into a legitimate SRW game is extremely unlikely)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hikarusa posted:

ZZ will be in, but solely to give context for Mobile Suit Vs Giant God.

I was planning on using Giant God for the prologue of one of my "If Eternity Project Ever Finishes" SRW fan game ideas, alongside G Gundam 7th Fight and Mazinger USA, to establish some of the facts about the Black History in several different ideas of mine(basically a gigantic multiversal war that left fragments of otherwise alien technology across multiple universes, like the Giant God, or SID from Gundam AGE, or why people sometimes end up in universes not their own)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Personally I hope that 3.0 NEVER gets used in a SRW game, I can only think of like one other Mecha series/movie that'd be worse to use and that's freaking Bokurano

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure why you'd say that.

3.0's plot is "the world is hosed, holy poo poo" but it isn't the first or last show to have that happen and it certainly wouldn't be the first time SRW rewrote the Evangelion plot to go from 'everything is hosed' to "everything isn't hosed."

It just comes off as too cynical and way too much of a middle finger to the Mecha genre for me to want it anywhere near SRW(not to mention every new design in 3.0 is ugly as sin), basically there's literally nothing about 3.0 that I like(which makes it pretty much the only piece of Mecha media ever I can say that about, which is quite the achievement), which is odd cause 2.0 is one of my favorite Mecha movies

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm still of the opinion that Banpresto should just drop OG, since personally I feel it's a waste of their time, effort, and money compared to regular SRW, cause let's face it the OG universe is inherently lamer than almost every mainline SRW game besides Shin and OE(also the vast majority of OG mecha are just plain boring both in designs and attacks compared to pretty much all licensed series that have been in SRW)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I still feel that the vast majority of OG stuff is just incredibly bland when compared to almost any series included in a normal SRW

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

well here's my idea for a SRW(to be made if the SRW Eternity project ever finishes) that includes a fair amount of Magic series, although it's primary focus is on the OYW;

1. Shin Mazinger Z-Hen
2. Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo OR New Getter Robo
3. Mobile Suit Gundam
4. Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
5. Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War In The Pocket
6. Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories
7. Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War*
8. Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079*
9. Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: Missing Link*
10. Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: The Blue Destiny*
11. Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: Space, To the End of A Flash*
12. Mobile Suit Gundam Battlefield Record U.C. 0081 -The Wrath of Varuna*
13. Mobile Suit Gundam: Thunderbolt*
14. Mobile Suit Gundam: We're Federation Hooligans!!*
16. Kotetsushin Jeeg
17. Combattler V
18. Voltes V
19. Zambot 3
20. Daitarn 3
21. Go Lion
22. Aura Battler Dunbine
23. The Wings of Rean
24. Panzer World Galient*
25. The Vision of Escaflowne
26. Lord of Lords Ryu Knight
27. Reideen*
28. Mado King Granzort*
29. Star Driver*
30. Hades Project Zeorymer
31. Captain Earth*
32. Metal Armor Dragonar

*Series Debut

I might do some more tweaking for this one though, although overall it seems like a solid enough list

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Endorph posted:

my dream SRW game

Rinne no Lagrange
Iczer One
Kannazuki no Miko
Shattered Angels
Simoun

im out of shows for this joke

note: don't actually include kannazuki no miko

The thing is Kannazuki no Miko is awful, but at the same time it has some really neat looking mechs in it, and Iczer One has already been in a SRW game

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

Game that takes place in the space tear Getter eternal battle dimension. Just one stage that goes on forever.

well I had an idea that sort of involves that kind of thing;

Prologue Series

1. Mazinger USA*
2. Getter Robo Armageddon
3. Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack/Hi-Streamer/Beltorchika’s Children
4. Mobile Suit Gundam: Unicorn
5. Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway’s Flash*
6. Mobile Fighter G Gundam: 7th Fight*
7. Mobile Suit Gundam Vs. Giant God of Legend: Counterattack of Gigantis*
8. Gunbuster
9. King of Braves Gaogaigar/FINAL
10. Betterman
11. Brigadoon*
12. Demon of Steel*

*Series Debut

this one goes fairly straightforward till the end of the game when the Gunbuster, the Shin Getter Robo, and all of GGG minus Mamoru disappear in another dimension as a result of the merging of their finales together(and inspired by a similar event occurring in Alpha 3) with the rest of the cast believing them to be dead and returning to Earth in mourning, which leads into the next part...(also Mazinger USA, and Gigantis/Giant God/Ideon being present, and the events of Demon of Steel happening are all a result of this universe's version of the Black History, which partially ties into the OG villain for the next game)

Main Game Series

1. Mazinkaiser
2. Mazinger Angels*
3. Mazinkaiser SKL
3. Getter Robo Armageddon(post series)
4. Mobile Fighter G Gundam
5. Mobile Suit Gundam F91/F90
6. Mobile Suit Gundam AGE(Generation 1)*
7. The Super Dimension Fortress Macross/Do You Remember Love?
8. Martian Successor Nadesico
9. Gunbuster(post series)
10. God Mars
11. King of Braves Gaogaigar/FINAL(post series)
12. Rebuild of Evangelion(1.11 & 2.22 only)
13. Daitarn 3
14. Koutetsushin Jeeg
16. Combattler V
17. Great War of The Flying Saucer*
18. Tekkaman Blade
19. Heroman
20. Transformers Armada/Universe*
21. Zambot 3
22. Majestic Prince*
23. Sym-Bionic Titan*
24. Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still
25. Big O
26. Dancouga Nova
27. Gravion/Zwei
28. Hades Project Zeorymer
29. Hyper Combat Unit Dangaioh
30. Iczer-1
31. Brain Powerd
32. Shinkon Gattai Godannar!!
33. Chousoku Henkei Gyrozetter*
34. RahXephon
35. Detonator Orgun
36. Engage Planet Kiss Dum*
37. Voltes V
38. Psalm of Planets Eureka Seven
39. Raideen The Superior*
40. Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor*
41. Cybernetics Guardian*
42. Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann: The Lights in the Sky are Stars
43. Psycho Armor Govarion*
44. Captain Earth*
45. Reideen*
46. Star Driver*

*Series Debut

yes I know that is an assload of series, but I can at least partially justify it due to it being a multi-part game much like most of the Z series has been(at least 3 parts, very likely 4 parts), also if needed there's about 10 or so series I could drop from the list if absolutely necessary(and really the Z series has had about 50 series so far, so I'm not that crazy, even if they drop a lot of those between games)

anyways this is an idea I've been working on for a long time(since around the time I first found out about the SRW Eternity project, and dreamed about making my own game), and I've been putting a lot of thought into this one, especially in series interaction as that's always one of the best aspects of the SRW franchise, so if anyone has any questions please ask, cause it's not like we have anything more important to talk about until Z3 part 2 gets announced(and don't just use that as an excuse to mock my ideas, cause I already know they are silly, but I'm bored enough to share them)

EDIT: Also I think I've mentioned an earlier version of this idea in this thread before, but it's been long enough that I can't remember

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 16, 2014

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Getsuya posted:

Oh hey for that one idea where you had a bunch of post-apocalypse series teaming up in a desert wasteland world you can't forget The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye. That was one of my favorite underdog shows back in the day.

how much actual mecha content did that show actually have, I'm curious(as it's one of the series that's supposedly going to be in SRW Eternity if it ever finishes)

EDIT: figured since I keep bringing up SRW Eternity I might as well post it's series roster

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Sep 16, 2014

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

...all of those except Iczer are actually in my lost technology retro-future feudalist SRW that has way too many series, it's at like...twenty and a half if you count Orguss 02 separately

...And I had considered Iczer for my aliens gently caress earth forever SRW but it didn't really fit since that also has way too many at like...twenty-two depending on how you count Macross Zero, GGG Final and Project Z, Diebuster, Tekkaman Blade 2, and the endless amounts of Muv-Luv spinoffs.

The latter actually has the main character in a VF-0 for the first bit of the story, on the subject of originals in non-og mechs, until the super prototype thing she was supposed to deliver and only use in case of emergency is brought out since a giant Protoculture bird thing that's destroying fleets and is powered by a girl who is VERY MAD with everyone qualifies as an emergency. But that's like five scenarios in and loving Ribbons has to be taken out before then.

twenty and twenty two series aren't all that huge, after all Z1 had 20 series, and Impact had 24 so you're still within reasonable limits

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

Impact's biggest weakness was how goddamn long and giant it was with having to be three games connected as one. And Z1's writing quality is not an easy task to replicate, that was easily one of the more ambitious crossover things ever while still managing to remain relatively cohesive and concise. I hella don't want to be running on for like 100 scenarios with separate route splits.

there's a reason my stupidly huge idea would probably be in 4 parts if it was ever made(5 if you count the prologue game), while the other less huge but still pretty big one would focus primarily on the Gundam side of things

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

yeah I know overbloated ideas might not go anywhere, but I like to dream, and working on this sort of crap gives someone with too much time on their hands something to do(I'll admit I have neither a job or am going to school currently so I have a surplus of free time), so I'm bored enough to go over this stuff in more detail starting with the prologue;

1. Mazinger USA*: this version of Mazinger and Kouji Kabuto are from an alternate reality even more screwed up than this one, one plagued by never ending war, this Kouji ends up here after a trip to yet another different reality, one that appears to be straight out of a fantasy novel, where humans wage war against the foul Zard reptile people, Kouji spends most of the game trying to find a way back to that world to be reunited with the woman he loves(and succeeds towards the end of the game), also ends up inspiring a somewhat younger Juuzo Kabuto who's only just starting to work on the various Mazinger robots of his world(as Mazinger USA has never been animated and has no theme music of it's own, I'll be borrowing the OP theme of God Mazinger for him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBz9cQW9s5Q)

2. Getter Robo Armageddon: pretty standard implementation of the series overall, still not sure what sort of relation do I want Invaders to have with some of the other alien monsters that show up here and in the main game

3. Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack/Hi-Streamer/Beltorchika’s Children: again a pretty standard implementation overall, although here the reason for dropping Axis is to try and destroy the Shin Dragon before it can fully awaken(although originally it was meant to be a distraction from Neo Zeon's real plot)

4. Mobile Suit Gundam: Unicorn: like the CCA plot Neo Zeon's activities here are meant to be a distraction from their real goal

5. Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway’s Flash*: not really sure if the actual plot of Hathaway's Flash will actually happen, might just use it as a source of units

6. Mobile Fighter G Gundam: 7th Fight*: this gives everyone what they always wanted, a game where you get to use Master Asia(or Shuuji Kurosu as he's known as at the time) and the rest of the original Shuffle Alliance(with them starting off with their respective Neo-Nation suits, but later on upgrading to their Shuffle Alliance Gundams, including Master Asia's King of Hearts Gundam), young Master Asia befriends much of the cast, including Mamoru, and is understandably rather upset when a large amount of them disappear towards the end of the game(and to everyone seem to be dead), which will lead him to become the Master Asia we know from the 13th Gundam Fight

7. Mobile Suit Gundam Vs. Giant God of Legend: Counterattack of Gigantis*: Neo Zeon's true plot is to activate the Black History artifact known as Gigantis(in truth the Ideon from another reality), and use it to scour the Solar System clean of Invaders once and for all(the fact that it would allow Neo Zeon to dominate the Solar System for themselves as well is a very nice benefit for them as well)

8. Gunbuster: things go mostly as normal here, with the STMC as a threat hanging over everyone's heads for most of the game, although the horrifying truth about them won't be known for a long time

9. King of Braves Gaogaigar/FINAL: overall mostly unchanged, although Mamoru being the only member of GGG to return to Earth is going to be very important later on, as are his relationships with Master Asia, and a former classmate of his by the name of Gendo Ikari...

10. Betterman: I'll admit I'm not quite sure how to implement this one

11. Brigadoon*: while it primarily uses the anime version, there are some elements from the manga included, such as Marin explicitly being a Monomakia, also Marin leaves Earth in the end to be with Melan on Brigadoon

12. Demon of Steel*: the events of this anime, including the two titular Demons of Steel are directly tied into the main OG villain for the main game, although unlike the original, more than one character survives it's events

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh god don't even mention Bugs to me. What an evil machine.

Eh the GENESIS is worse in my opinion, if mostly cause it's like the least subtle Super Weapon ever, which ties into how I hate SEED's over the top violence, and like how F91is actually pretty tasteful in this regard

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Give me Victory's dick cannon, or give me death.

"Turn all of the inhabitants of Earth into babies" Angel Halo is also acceptable.

Victory I'm not very fond of either as a series(although I like most of it's designs), both for being a lot more grim than I like my Mecha series, and being incredibly sexist even by Japan standards, not to mention it bugs the crap out of me when it's included in an SRW game with any Early UC series(so all of it's appearances really)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rascyc posted:

A lot of shows were altered immediately after 9/11 due to war tones or having some plot related to the air industry. Anime and content produced outside the US didn't have that luxury. Cartoon Network selectively pulled out episodes from various series that were airing at the time like Cowboy Bebop whereas 0079 got pulled after airing one episode and seeing that only like 2 people in the US were watching it. They canned it afterwards and tried to re-air it years later but it was dead by that point. 0079 just had nothing to offer over Gundam Wing in the west, kids didn't care about the whole War Subplot they just wanted some loving Robots and maybe a surrogate for Goku.

Anyway http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_entertainment_affected_by_the_September_11_attacks is always worth a read if you weren't around at the time. Even series like Pokemon and Power Rangers couldn't escape. Dang I didn't realize Transformers got so ripped up too.

I think the reason 0079 didn't do too well here had more to do with it having incredibly dated animation, if Bandai/Sunrise had wanted Universal Century Gundam to do well in the states, they should have just aired the Movie Trilogy a couple times then air Zeta Gundam, but even that plan has quite a few flaws to it, to be frank Universal Century never really had a chance in the states, as all of the TV series for it have at least one massive flaw to them that makes them unsuitable for US television, so that leaves only the OVAs and the movies which aren't enough, but then most of the AU series outside G and Wing have similar issues so Gundam was kinda screwed no matter what

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have decided that way more robots in SRW need rocket swords. I believe it's just Todoh's Zangetsu and then the Grungust 0 from OG, probably neither of which will be appearing in Z3-2. Rocket swords are the best swords.

If I remember correctly the main robot from Gyrozetter has a Rocket Sword, also I have my own idea for a Gundam The Origin centric SRW, I'll post it soon(can't right now since I'm posting from a phone)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I think we can all agree that 3.0 is an incredibly awful movie, and should never be included in SRW

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I dunno I just feel 3.0 has a ridiculous tonal dissonance with pretty much every other franchise included in the Z series(much like how SEED clashed horribly in both Alpha 3 and J)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So I'm contemplating getting a Playstation Vita TV in the near future cause they're dirt cheap for a current gen console, what SRW games would be available for it and how would I go about getting them(other recommendations would be nice as well, I have a Playstation Plus membership if that helps)?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I have recently come to realize that R-Type would be totally awesome in a SRW. The BYDO would make great villains, and the R9 Arrowhead is a sexy machine.

I know it's a space plane but we get the crappy ones from Gundam all the time anyway.

Yeah R-Type Final or maybe the R-Type Command games would work wonderfully in a SRW game(although it'd be weird having one of the most powerful units in the game be a space fighter, cause R-Machines are like on almost the same level as Buster Machines are), although if they use Final they would have to do something about there being no actual human characters in it(that'd be a first, an OG character for an outside series), alas it's a pipe dream, like G Gundam being included and not be either Post-Series(I really don't like it whenever they do that for any series except some Gundam series, unless it's a sequel to a prior game), or be so abridged and cut down that it being included is almost pointless like in J(the only series that I don't find this to be an awful decision are Trider and Acrobunch cause those shows are weird even by Japanese standards)

Also quick question; so besides the series new to 3.2 and those series from 3.1 that didn't finish, do any other series have any actual relevance to the game or are they just along for the ride?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Gurren Lagann movies would probably have been better if they had been 3 movies instead of 2(Movie 1 covering up through either Kamina's death or Simon meeting Nia, Movie 2 covering up to the defeat of Lordgenome, and Movie three would basically be the same as the Movie 2 we got in the real world, cause the only things actually lacking in it from the TV version in my opinion is some more screen time for Arc GL, and them cutting out Boota temporarily becoming humanoid from Spiral Power, otherwise it's almost perfect in my opinion)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Because we talked about yesterday, I've been brainstorming how to make a SRW with R-Type in my head since. Like, how it would work mechanically, what the stages would be, etc.

Help, I am a giant nerd.

You haven't become a true nerd until you're trying to sort out a massive 20-50 series list and figuring out how all the series interact with each other in all sorts of ridiculous ways

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

Hey that's no fair mine is only at 19.

...unless you count all the subseries things which'd bring it to 41.

...Or unless you count the other one which at base is 26 totally different things and is way more ridiculous and complicated than 'you sure do fight space monsters' since I now realize it is basically Fallout New Vegas with robots.

Well when I said 20-50 that was more of a generalization than a hard rule

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Whenever people talk about Basara I just always think of that gif where he eats a leaf

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hmm, which series would fit well with G-Reco...

Well, Turn-A, obviously. They even both have an Ameria. Gargantia would also fit in well, right in the early arc when they're staying around those tropical islands. Eureka Seven (the first one) would also work well. Since we're already halfway to recreating the world of Alpha Gaiden and/or Z1, let's add Xabungle, Gundam X and Overman King Gainer. Diebuster could be worked in (with Gunbuster coming back at the end). So we've already got 8 series. Shouldn't be too hard to add a few more.

Well Big O is another obvious one(kinda amazing when you think about it that it managed to stick around for the entire Z series), although it gets trickier getting a Mazinger and Getter series to fit into this(maybe SKL and New Getter would work)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm not liking it being no longer UC only, also how long do you guys think it will be before we start getting news for the next non-OG SRW game?(assuming it'll most likely be a 3DS exclusive, I can't imagine not having any info at all before the end of the year, especially with how long it's been since UX)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Hathaway joins a terrorist organization with a shiny new Gundam called Xi Gundam. Eventually he gets caught and sentenced to death via firing squad. Bright signs the death warrant, not knowing that it's his son he's condemning to death because Hathaway was going under an assumed name.

After Hathaway dies, Quess' Newtype ghost shows up to tell him that she never liked him that way and basically everything he did was pointless.

Yeah if Hathaway's Flash ever gets an animated adaptation hopefully it'll end differently cause that's got to be the single bleakest thing that's been set in UC

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The major problem with doing Hathaway's Flash is that it is actually a followup to Beltorchika's Children.

One of the major changes there is that Hathaway kills Quess and a big portion of what he does and his responses and guilt are based off the fact he killed her. You can kinda use Chen in place of that but by and large it wouldn't have the same impact.

Which means they'd need to change things anyways, so why not?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

It was either this or OG, so I guess OG will be next year.

Looking forward to seeing what crazy cast list they come up with this time and then never getting to play it because of region locking.

there was a proper workaround, but Nintendo seems to have patched it out like a bunch of assholes(really don't understand why they even bother doing region locking in the first place, it's just a grade A dick move), and from me searching around the last couple of minutes I have yet to find a new workaround

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

THe usual mysterious but usually correct about future Famitsu magazines source says this

Dunbine
Raijinoh
Gaogaigar
Gundam 00 movie
Macross F movie(s?)
Shin Mazinger Z
Mazinkaizer SKL
Nadesico
Galian
SD Gundam Gaiden
Gundam Age
Gog
Macross 30

(I dunno if my Romanization is right for series I haven't heard of)

If that list is accurate than I think this new SRW might have the lowest Super Robot to Real Robot ratio of any game in the franchise post SRW 2 at only 4 Super Robot series out of 13 total series

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGlVgyvynKU

Oh god this song is awful. If they're going for another sword equipped fantasy series alongside Dunbine, why not Escaflowne?

How can you see the Galiant theme song as anything except 80's gold?(also Galiant does some interesting things with it's plot that ties in well for SRW stuff, while Escaflowne would be a second stringer at best for possible world building importance)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'll admit I am incredibly underwhelmed by this series list in a way that pretty much no other SRW game has done up to this point(even Z3.2 was less disappointing in this regard), cause of the series list;

Dunbine
Raijinoh
Gaogaigar
Gundam 00 movie
Macross F movie(s?)
Shin Mazinger Z
Mazinkaizer SKL
Nadesico
Galiant
SD Gundam Gaiden
Gundam Age
Gorg
Macross 30

Of the returning series only GGG and Nadesico are even remotely surprising or interesting, and of the 5 new series, one is probably an excuse entry to jam other Macross stuff in with minimal effort(Macross 30), both new Gundam entries are awful(AGE 3 is the worst part, and SD Gundam Gaiden seems like it'll be pure filler, since I don't believe it even has an anime to adapt), Gorg is so low powered and small scaled a series from what I can remember, that I literally can't think how it can contribute to an SRW game in any meaningful manner, which makes Galiant the only remotely interesting newcomer, so I can't think of much if any reason to really be excited about this game

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The SD Gundam Gaiden games are RPGs. They absolutely have plots to adapt.

Giant Gorg owns and "it's low power" doesn't matter worth a poo poo in SRW where we had goddammn Scopedogs murdering gods.

I'll admit I'm also of the camp that feels that VOTOMS is an ill fit for the franchise(cause let's face it the way the Z series did it is pretty much the only way you can make it fit), as is Daiguard to an extent(and this is coming from someone who's a big fan of Daigaurd)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hmm since Unicorn is in, doesn't that mean BX will be the first SRW game with UC representation to not have Amuro in it?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Davzz posted:

They really should have just dropped Frontier since 30 can be the Macross representative for the game, but who knows, I guess they really needed to reuse some UX assets just to be safe.

Either that or Kawamori is holding an Armored Magnum to their heads if they don't put it in every game.

my guess is that the Frontier licence is dirt cheap and it lets them be lazy about various things in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Personally I really like Combiners being freely able to split into their components and dearly miss it in modern games as it takes away a large part of what makes those kind of robots unique(this is especially true for robots like Dancouga)

• Locked thread