Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Okay so after reading some of the LPs around here I decided I needed to get in on this game series. I found the Alpha collection at a local place for pretty cheap, so that came with Alpha, Alpha 2 and Gaiden, and then I grabbed Alpha 3 separately so I could have the whole set. Only later did I realize that 2, 3 and EX(4? or something different?) are also on the PS1 and readily available locally. I'm a few missions in to Alpha 1, but since the overarching plot of SRW starts with 2-4, should I stop and go back and play through the PS1 remakes of those first? Or does my enjoyment of the plot in Alpha not really hinge on knowing exactly where every single character and plot point came from?

Also I want to have a portable SRW to play on train rides and stuff (sadly I do not consider my PSP to be a portable system, so I'm talking about GBC/A/DS) so what would folks suggest? I know J and W are pretty popular among western fans, but I've gotten a lot of recommendations from Japanese friends that D or A are the best for the Nintendo portables.

These same friends also told me that Impact is 'SRW Hell', in that it is freakishly long and does not allow you to skip battle animations. Considering this was made during the PS2 era I find that hard to believe. Is it true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Policenaut posted:

You want the SRW Z's. If you own a PS3, get SRW Z1 from the PS2 Classics line. Get SRW Z2-1 and Z2-2 for PSP/Vita. Then you've got SRWZ3-1 for PS3 or Vita.

Even if I'm reading the LPs?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well, after reading everyone's suggestions I came to the conclusion that it really didn't matter which of the GBA/DS titles I picked up since they all seem to have good things and bad things said about them. 'I'll just pick up whatever one they happen to have and I'll probably enjoy it' I said to myself.

So I did. I bought the portable SRW games they had at my local Book Off.

They just happened to have quite a few of them. I was pretty surprised to find every single GBA one just sort of sitting around, and equally surprised that the only DS one they had was W. I thought that one was slightly harder to find for some reason. And I was only planning to buy Z2-1, but they had the box and I had no idea if the box was for Z2-1 or Z2-2 (the titles didn't really help, though now that I look at them one has the kanji for 'again' in the subtitle so I suppose that would be the 2nd one) so I ended up buying both just to be safe.

Alas for PS2 the only ones they had were Impact and the 2 Scramble Commander games. No Z just yet, though I know another store in town has it.

Oh and they had the A strategy guide for a buck so I picked that up because why not.

Yeah this was all a bit of an impulse buy but what the hell $70 for 7 SRW games, basically $10 a game is a pretty solid deal if you ask me. Now I just need to figure out which of the portable ones I'm going to start on. And get back to Alpha.

V Nah I bought both Z2-1 and Z2-2. Z2-1 is just still in the box. And I am definitely going to space these out, though I'll probably have one portable and one console one going at a time when I do play them. Besides SRW I have a crapton of PS2/3 games I just bought over summer break so whenever I get tired I can always just go back to Wild Arms or Galaxy Angel or whatever.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 31, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Hokuto posted:

Maaaaan. This is the thing I miss the most from my time in Japan.

For the uninitiated, picture a prolific used bookstore chain that sells books, CDs, and video games at rock bottom prices. He mentions basically paying $10 a game, and that's still on the higher end of what they charge for stuff. I paid ¥700 for a full 7 book manga set there once, and it was pristine condition, as was just about everything else I saw.

Book Offs are wonderful and I would shop in one every week if I could.

The only place better for used game shopping than a Book Off in Japan is Sofmap. Kyoto, where I was within 10 minutes of 3 different Book Offs and an easy hour away from 3 Sofmaps and a Super Potato 8, was pretty much Heaven on Earth, though I didn't have the money to appreciate it at the time.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
So after buying all the non-OG GBA SRWs last night I decided to go chronologically through them (not in one sitting obviously but over time), so I started with A. I figure that way I won't miss quality of life upgrades from later titles if I tried going from newer to older.

At first I got frustrated with how hard it is to accurately shoot down named guys that run away under a certain HP%, but then I came to two startling conclusions. The first is that this entire game is based around co-op attacks and so I should just always make sure everyone's together in a big clump so they can combo off of each other for days. The second is that Great Mazinger is broken as hell and always seems to do 2x or 3x the damage listed on its attacks. What? The enemy runs away when it hits lower than 5000 HP? Good thing Great Mazinger can smack them for 6500-ish by himself despite this being the second level of the game.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
A's writing is kind of heavy-handed. I'm curious as to whether I will ever see Lamia speak a single line that is not meant to invoke suspicion about her. Gee. I wonder if she's hiding something?

V Dammit. My desire to fly the Angelg will be my undoing.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 1, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah, now that I'm getting better at predicting damage and using the co-op attacks, A is becoming more like a fun puzzle game (figure out how to kill the named enemies before they can run away) and less of a chore. I just wish I could put it to sleep by closing my DS so it would be more convenient to play, but at least it has the mid-battle save option.

Also playing two SRW games at the same time might not be the best idea. It's hard keeping track of all the plot points going back and forth between Alpha and A, especially since I'm playing the Super route in both of them. 'Wait, how come Lamia's acting like she doesn't know Bright? He showed up a few levels ago... oh wait that was Alpha. How come they're saying DC is protecting Macross City. Don't they mean Londo Bell? No wait that's A...'

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I thought A's levels were long to begin with, then I got to level 4 when there's 17 enemies and about as many allies on screen. Then I learned what long really looks like. And unskippable attacks. Good thing I have entertaining LPs to watch in the background while waiting for all the attacks to play out.

Edit: drat does Noin have the best battle theme in the game so far. In comparison the Nadesico theme is absolute crap, and this coming from someone who loves the theme from that show (or perhaps that just adds to the frustration of hearing it butchered like this).

Edit Edit: And then I waste an hour of my time getting a game over because I can't heal Akito when he's a guest and all he does is slam his face against the named boss super robot enemies that two-shot him. Time to take a long break.

V That is the perfect term for what he did.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 2, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Yes, going back and forth between A and Alpha is dizzying. I get done with a level in Alpha and wonder where all the reinforcements and actually tough enemies are. Not to mention a level in Alpha takes maybe 30 minutes (minus the talking of course), whereas even the early levels in A take at least an hour.

A does have a lot of frustrating bits, and I'm sure it'll get worse later, but it feels a lot better when I score a nice Boss kill in A than anything I do in Alpha. And the battle themes for Noin and Amuro keep me going. Man they gave Amuro a sweet song in this one.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zTOEGnrvko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3q-vUksRoQ

Never has my GBA belted out awesomer tunes.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 2, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Can I get some tips on how to read Pilot stats? Like, how do I know if a pilot has the potential to be a really good end-game character or not?

V The pre-W Gundams always thow me off because they always have so many sub-main characters in these games (always meaning in the two I've played so far). I mean I know Camille and Amuro are great, but other than that my way of judging them has been 'does this character have 20% less chance to hit than everyone else? Permanent bench!' and I'm worried I'm going to shelf someone who turns out to be a powerhouse with some tuning.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 3, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Aha, so that's why one of the big bonuses in New Game + for A is giving every character 4 item slots.

So I've gotten to the point in Alpha where V Gundam shows up and I was really excited for this because V is actually my favorite Gundam series, followed closely by Seed. After hearing how Seed and a few other series get 'fixed' in the SRW games, with much better character development and such, I was all hyped up to see what they do with Usso and the gang.

Unfortunately, and maybe this is just at the beginning, the V Gundam group seems kind of sad and annoying. In the anime, Usso was forced to fight because he was literally all there was between his friends and destruction. In SRW there's a whole freaking slough of robots. There's literally no reason he can't just go forget about it all and live with Shakti Katejina Haro in peace. He says he wants to find his parents, but his friend helpfully and correctly points out that joining up with a military ship that is almost certain to force him to be a pilot isn't the way to go about that.

In the anime, Katejina and Shakti come across almost like anti-war strawmen, constantly insisting that the best thing to do is ignore the war and hope it goes away, which was annoying, but I'm not sure how I feel about them becoming actual logical characters in SRW where the situation COULD be safely ignored and there really IS no reason for Usso to fight.

But like I said I only just started that plotline so maybe things turn around later on.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I don't think I have this Kou guy everyone was talking about yet, but I do have a guy named Shiro who, despite apparently being a Gundam lead from one of the shows or other, is kind of crappy. And, though people have pointed out that Getter is pretty awesome, in A you get Texas Mack who is a great deal more awesome.

I'm coming up on Level 7 which, as the strategy guide puts it, is 'a storm of secret events'. It then goes on to say that doing all the events in level 7 is stupid hard and that most of the units aren't worth keeping anyway, especially when killing them instead of recruiting them nets you two V-Ups. Two V-Ups vs. getting the female versions of Getter and Mazinger isn't too hard of a choice, for me. Maybe if I was more of an old big robot fan.

Also, regarding Alpha, some upgrade guide told me I should make sure to put a lot of points into Quatro's Hyakushiki, but that thing is a piece of junk. At first I thought Quatro was a crappy character, but then I actually looked at his stats and realized he was great he was just in a machine that didn't let him use his potential. Once I got a free Gundam in my hands (I think it's name is Alex or something?) I slapped him in that and he is now 110% better.

Also to let you know how much of a Gundam newbie I am, I was really shocked to find out that Quatro is Char.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

Stage 7 of Advance was my first experience with SRW's love for complex sequences of convincing reluctant bad guys to join your side. I recruited everyone I could recruit during that game only to never use them because most of them were pretty bad. I never tried to be a SRW completionist again after that.

I like how later there's a mission where you have to convince a character, then use the convinced character to convince another character on the same map. And I actually intend to do that one since among all the secret recruitables those two are ones I really want.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The inability to skip battle animations in A has finally crushed my spirit. After spending somewhere like 2 hours on battle 7 (even without reloading when I failed to take down some of the bosses and got retreats instead) I realized that the time investment wasn't really worth it when I could literally pick any given SRW game and get through it three or four times as quickly. I'll probably pick up A Portable and revisit the game at some point, but for now it's time to just focus on Alpha and maybe start up D.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Speaking of fanmade spinoffs of SRW, they have a few of the latest entries in the Super Heroine Wars series down at my local gamestore. Each entry seems to have a few additional characters and battles, but I couldn't find anything to say if you needed to buy every single game in the series to get all the chapters or if, like other doujin games like Higurashi and Umineko, each new version included all previous versions as well.

Also I have no idea if they're good or not. I like the character rosters, but what few screenshots I can find seem pretty shoddy, and I can't find any gameplay videos to see how the battle animations are. The one gameplay video I did find literally stopped the instant before a battle would have started (and had at least 20 minutes of talking before the first battle of the game).

VV I wonder what a SRW game would look like if it had as bad of a series selection as Super Heroine Chronicle. You know your crossover is crap when Nendroid Generation has a way better line-up than you.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 10, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

An SRW that had a cast list as weird and dumb as Heroine Chronicle?

...i mean does UX count

okay but for real we'd need things like Dinagiga, Ginguiser, Innocent Venus, Candidate for Goddess, and Kannazuki no Miko. Maybe throw in God Mazinger and Getter Robo Go for the entries nobody remembers. Oh and make absolutely sure that Gundam AGE is the forefront of the plot and delivered as intact and unchanged as SEED was in J.

Also Fei-Yen Miku returns but now with the rest of the Vocaloid cast!!!

We'd also need the kids from that anime about building Gundam models to take Di Gi Charat's place as the 'not a real anime, just an advertisement' selection. It's bizarre how badly Banpresto downgraded their line-up between Heroes Phantasia and Heroine Chronicle. They went from all but one of the series being super big hits most people would recognize to having all but one of the series being crap no one cares about.

How similar are the SD Gundam Generation G games to SRW, and are they worth playing? And if so, which one(s)?

Edit: Oh and SRW Chronicle would also need Bokurano to take Higurashi's place as the 'completely out of place among the others tone-wise' psycho horror selection.

Edit Edit: Kind of like Demonbane to UX.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 12, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Alright I'll admit my ignorance, the most I knew about that model show was that it existed because they had an ad playing at the big Gundam shop in Osaka. I didn't know it was a serious thing.

If I wanted to get into the SD Gundam Generation games, would it be fine to start with one of the ones on PSP or are there ones from the past worth digging up?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

G Generation World or Overworld are the best place to starts. Overworld has more stuff but is more heavily focused on MSV stuff.

Showing my super ignorance again but could you explain what that means and what its ramifications are to the gameplay/plot? I should say now that the only Gundams I know to any extent are V, Seed/Destiny and 00, so from my point of view the more original material that doesn't deal with the stories of Gundams I haven't watched, the better.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Back to playing through Alpha, it's so refreshing after the slog of A. However, now that I'm a little deeper into the game I'm starting to realize that Spirit commands really make or break pretty much any unit. I must have screwed up my birthday really bad since my main character has absolute crap, especially for a Super. He can't hit the broadside of a barn once Real enemies start showing up, and he doesn't have any helpful Spirit commands to improve his aim. I basically just shelf most of my supers once a Real mission comes along since without whatever the English name of the spells that give you 100% accuracy and 100% dodge they really do nothing but soak damage.

On the other hand, the Supers with those commands absolutely knock it out of the park. Nobody could do any serious damage to Wufei when he first shows up until Giant Robo and Raideen came over and just bashed his face in with un-dodgeable physical attacks that went right through his stupid shield and armor.

Edit: I never watched much of W except for the movie and a few random episodes when it was on TV, but out of what I watched I decided I really, really don't like Wufei, so it was pretty satisfying imagining his stupid robot knocked flat by a fist as big as it is.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Then again Supers get a huge gold star in my book because they mean I can mostly ignore the Eva units and instead use Giant Robo and Raideen to beat the crap out of those snotty angels. Man Evangelion would have been so much more enjoyable for me if some 12-year-old piloting an ancient Chinese mech showed up and blew the dumb angels sky high by hucking a giant rocket at them. I mean, Eva is a fine anime as it is, but I, at least, would have enjoyed that version more.

V Well at this point I've only defeated the first one so I guess there's still time. Hopefully you're not talking about that one because there's no way the puny weapons on the Aga... Arga... the ship would be able to shoot through the AT field.

By the way AT fields are stupid.

Edit: Is 'Absolute Terror Field' the canon name for them, or is that just a cute acronym they flash in the opening that doesn't actually mean anything?

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 12, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I was getting ready to write up a big long post about how perfect Alpha is and how much I'm loving my first full foray into the SRW series, but then I got to easily the worst level in the game. It's level 24 on the League Militaire route, called the Nightmare of Solomon. It starts off great by giving you an expert point condition that relies entirely on Kou being Level 25. Now that's not such a horrible requirement except I've never seen any reason to even use Kou much less level him up, especially in his old suit before he gets more firepower. Anyway you basically have 2 turns to do 8000 damage with him, which is impossible without Nekketsu which he doesn't get 'til level 25. Doesn't seem like much of a fair expert point compared to anything else the game has thrown at you up to this point. I'd have much preferred it if it was just a condition for the secret units, not for both the expert point AND the secrets.

Second, the mission ends all of the sudden. Didn't have time to kill all the named guys and get some good points? Too bad. Actually I didn't even care about the exp, it was more about the items all the named baddies were probably carrying. I'm kind of sick of this whole sub-route since it sticks you with a few nice Gundam aces and then something like 15 worthless grunts no one is ever going to field. But it also contains stories for Judau and Usso which is the only reason I picked it despite it being a Real route and me playing a Super game, leaving most of my non-Gundam-ace Reals severely under-leveled.

Anyway I could have just gone back and re-played the level, knowing about the time limit, but mostly I just want to get out of this stretch and get the rest of my characters back.

I think the biggest joke is they give you Odelo as a free pilot you can switch out for someone else. 'Here, you can exchange him for one of the 8 V Gundam girls and continue to ignore those units because everyone from that show who isn't named Usso is worthless in this game.' At least when they drown you in characters from Super shows they stuff them all in one suit instead of spreading them out across 5 or more units (unless you play with your Supers separated which would be interesting for a challenge run).

V Wait that's actually a legitimate strategy? :psyduck: I was just joking. It never occurred to me that the little machines with barely any HP and piddling little attacks could ever be useful.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 16, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Is it alright if I replace any knowledge I have of the actual stories of the few mecha anime I've watched with a mash-up of their stories from the SRW games? At first I was kind of thinking I wanted to go watch enough of the related series to really appreciate their stories in SRW, but now I'm not sure I want to see what the stories are supposed to be like.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Man, I want to get Lord of Elemental 1&2 for the PSP but apparently the version with the first game is rare since it goes for $50 instead of the $10 just the 2nd game goes for. I really liked what I saw of the La Geas crew back when I was helping translate bits of 2nd OGs, so I wanted to see that story from its source, but $50 is a little much for an old PSP game.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I just got the Dunbine folks in Alpha. I'd be happy if they never, ever included this series in any other SRW game if only so I never have to see that shocking-pink haired ogress's face again. Jeez. Happily by this point I now have 9 pages of mechs to pick from so I can happily shelf everyone who isn't a main character in their respective story. Actually my criteria for making the cut is 'do they have Nekketsu? Do they have an aim skill or are they a Newtype/Gundam person who doesn't need aim skills because their accuracy is already broken? They're in. Everyone else except maybe a healer or two is out'

Also I discovered a bug. During the Crossbones Vanguard mission I had the F91 on top of a building and using whatever the 30% evade boost skill is. When folks attacked him they had 0% chance to hit, but he was going to counter with his big 40 EN finisher each time so I would go to switch it to something else. When I switched his counter all of the sudden the enemy would have 100% chance to hit. The only way to get it back to 0 was to switch him to Evade instead of Counter. It really upset me because he should have been able to dodge-tank those guys in a turn or two, but since I had to keep evading instead of countering it ended up taking a lot longer.

And I don't want to go back to an anime world where Asuka doesn't teach school to the kids from ZZ and V Gundam on board the Reinforce Jr. in between battles.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Davzz posted:

You're totally asking for a Max-style Knife fight here, but you do semi get your wish, because Dunbine took a long hiatus from SRW up until recently with OE and UX.

I realize I shouldn't speak ill of series I've never seen and all but this Nii lady is just that ugly. I'm trying to think of uglier characters I've seen in my life but the only one that comes to mind that tops her is the Exorcist girl near the end of the movie. I laughed a little when one guide told me I needed to use her to convince some other guy to get a secret suit. Guess I'm never getting that secret suit. And I mean I try to be really fair with not judging characters. I'll field kids or idiots or guys with annoying mascot things or whatever, but I will not field THAT.

V :ms:

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 17, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Endorph posted:

And looks pretty normal, in an 80s way. Do you have something against pink hair?

Hey! I don't have anything against pink hair. Some of my favorite Gundam Seed songstresses have pink hair. All I'm saying is seeing pink 80s hair guy show up on my screen is the visual equivalent of having someone pour cold strawberry ice-cream down my earlobe.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Wait does flying cancel out terrain bonuses? God I'm halfway through Alpha and I still have only the most limited grasp on how these games actually work. I just about quit in frustration when I couldn't figure out how to get Bright to punch through that stupid Angel's defense for the 2 nekketsu points only to discover that AT fields only work when the opponent is over 100 Morale and Rei has a Morale-debuff spell (which I didn't know existed since so far she's the only person who has it that I know of). And by 'discover' I mean 'found in a guide after tearing my hair out in frustration'.

I actually honestly thought people were pranking me at first. 'Oh sure, kill the Angel with Bright (lol). It's super easy dude, and if you don't you're a failure'.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Well, yeah. If you're flying you're not actually interacting with the terrain, now are you.

Unless it's a space stage and space rocks are in the way, and you have to fly through those.

Yes well it seems obvious when I think about it NOW. Kind of like when I learned that 'Defensive Counter Attack' and 'Counter Attack' weren't the same thing at all.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Wow G Generation Overworld just kind of drops you into the thick of things right after the prologue doesn't it. You choose a main character and then boom you're in your army menu with a bunch of funds, a bunch of grunts and no idea what to do. I mean I guess I'll figure it out by experimentation but they really went for the no-tutorial method here didn't they.

Actually what I wanted to ask is how hard is Overworld? I'm curious because the huge roster of recruit-able pilots makes me want to make the silliest team possible (I'll call it the Yamato Orphanage team. Kira and Lacus are going to go around collecting orphans and children for their happy Gundam family) and I wonder how plausible/possible the game is if I just straight up ignore most of the 'good' units and make an army of misfits. Will it work as long as I have good mechs for them, or is it really not that easy of a game unless you start collecting aces or whatever?

(also some developer must really like Gundam 00 and UC, after that opening scene where everyone but those two get corrupted and the two of them have to face down like 5 other Gundam main characters by themselves. I'm sure that's just like someone's fanfic.)

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Davzz posted:

For Overworld, even if you use some really low-end units, eventually you can grind enough levels for anything to the point where you can solo the map in them.

When you guys say units do you mean characters or suits?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

-Troika- posted:

Is there a new G-Gen game coming out anytime soon? I wanna play with more Unicorn units :(

Super Heroes Generation is the next Generation game coming out, though since its divided between Ultraman, Kamen Rider and Gundam I'm not sure how many units from any given franchise it will have. I imagine the next G Generation game will come out after that.

Man, Japan must really hate Pride of Justice. The PS3 version is going for less than $10 these days. I literally paid more for some of my GBA SRW games than I did for that. And it's especially bizarre considering Lord of Elemental 1&2 goes for nearly $50 used.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I kept seeing SRW Z around for about 500 or 800 yen and thinking about buying it but I kept telling myself 'nah you're in the middle of the Alpha series, wait 'til you're done then you can get Z'. But today I saw it for 250 yen and I mean honestly there's no way I could resist just picking it up for that price.

I hadn't even been planning to buy anything on this trip to Book Off, but after finding that and a 750 yen Digital Devil Saga my will caved.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'm nearing the end of Alpha, and I want to keep going with the series but I'm not sure if I feel like playing almost the exact same game again in Alpha Gaiden. Is Gaiden a really important addition to the Alpha story, or can I skip to Alpha 2 and go back for Gaiden later at some point without missing much? Or would it be even better for me to just skip up to a more modern game like Z before going back and playing another one of the old ones? But I guess more than gameplay the most important thing for me is story. If skipping Gaiden will leave me with an incomplete version of the Alpha storyline then I don't really want to skip it.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Speaking of the Alpha OCs, who is supposed to pilot what canonically? I mean there's 4 characters you can choose to play as, and basically you can put any of them in any suit so I was wondering if I was screwing with canon or something by putting the young male pilot in the Grungust. I just imagine it'll be weird seeing my main character that I named showing up in OGs with a different name and a different suit.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Weird, so I'm on the level of Alpha where I get Gunbuster and I'm not sure if the wiki is trolling me or what. It says to get 2 Expert Points I have to wipe out all enemies with Isamu in either 1 or 2 turns. The entire map is covered in enemies and Isamu appears to be piloting a single Valkyrie. Is this some kind of weird joke? Obviously I just ignored that and played the level normally, but I feel like I missed some kind of gimmick or something.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Man the gap in damage from Real and Super robots in Alpha really comes to a head in the one mission where you fight the big Neo Zeon army and then Dr. Hell shows up. Dr. Hell and his goons sit there plinking away at your Supers for like 10 health a shot, then suddenly you've got these Real mechs shooting you with lasers and your Supers are taking like half their health in damage each time they get hit. Basically dodge tanking seems to be the only sane way to play the game. Not to mention Amuro and Ple sitting there in the Nu Gundam and Sazabi inflicting 10000+ non-pumped crits from 9 squares away. I used to be able to count on my Supers to swat down some of the tougher Reals like flies, but now unless I have them backed up with a really good healer or they have Hirameki I basically don't even bother since they always get hit back for at least as much damage as they're doing.

Anyway I'm really interested to see how the story continues into the later games in the Alpha series. It kinda reminds me of reading just the crossover events of Marvel, where the Earth just keeps getting into deeper and deeper trouble each time around. They're already talking about how humanity has no future and this is everyone's darkest hour and there's still 3 games left to go.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Just a few more battles to go and Alpha is finally over with. I really, really enjoyed it but good grief are these games long, especially if you bother to read everything. Listening to what folks are saying about sequels, I'm thinking I might take a break from series and just play one of the one-shot games. Is MX good? Or maybe I'll put my PS2 to rest and just play W instead.

Alternatively, I'm planning to pick up a New 3DS when they come out next month, so maybe UX would be a good choice? Some reviewers don't seem to like it, mainly due to wonky unit selection apparently, but if it's solid story-wise I wouldn't mind trying it out.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
One of the main reasons I've had my eyes on MX and UX is that I've heard they both stay mostly away from the Gundam storylines, which is nice. I like the characters in ZZ and V, and I have some fondness for my old memories of Wing and Seed, but honestly I'd like to play a game with some other stories in the spotlight.

Edit: Not to mention that I've gotten pretty much all I need of V and ZZ in Alpha so I'm okay putting those to rest now. Though I am kind of excited to see how Alpha 3 'fixes' the Seed storyline. I was a really big Seed fan back in the day and the thought of an even better version of it hits me in the nostalgia.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
MX for PS2 is only a buck at my local Book Off. And I didn't realize it has Nadesico in it. So, yes I guess that will be the next one I play.
And UX has Fafner in it? Man, I should actually try looking up which games have which series instead of being surprised all the time like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Mission 62 (Do You Remember Love) is definitely the best mission in Alpha. I mean maybe one of the handful of missions left will top it but I doubt it. I've never watched the Macross anime, I actually just read the novels and never felt like watching it in anime form. I wasn't too crazy about the Macross storyline in Alpha either, and I've always had a pretty bad image of Minmei (I don't know if she's more or less horrible in the anime than in the novels but she's pretty horrible in the novels, every other romance in the entire series is better than her and Hikaru. Hell her and her cousin is better than her and Hikaru). But, despite all that, and despite Minmei being a brat and refusing to sing the song that will save everyone in the whole world because Hikaru picked Misa and not her once the 2nd half of the mission starts and the song starts up it's just magical. I didn't even mind 30 minutes of that song looping over and over during the battle.

A lot of things just came together on that map. One of my favorite couples from the Macross novels finally shows up, most of my main Gundam units just got their twin move thingy (Amuro, Judau and Usso to be specific), everyone is at max Will so you can just spam endless awesome attacks and the whole feel of the battle is just really epic. Then after the battle is over there's just a really short, poignant little vignette about the song to really drive the whole episode home before going right to the menu.

Man what a perfect mission. I mean this game has a lot of fun and interesting missions, but that one easily took the cake and I think it may stick in my memory all throughout my playing the SRW series.

• Locked thread