Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Super Robot Wars games available in English

Official Releases

Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 1 and 2 (GBA)
The main SRW series is a mashup of popular anime series, but Banpresto has released several games under the name Original Generation. These games have no licensed content and only use original characters and robots. Original Generation 1 and 2 were released for the Gameboy Advance in the early 2000s, and Atlus released them in the US in the mid-2000s under the name "Super Robot Taisen" (don't ask).

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier (DS)
This is a turn-based RPG featuring humanoid characters rather than giant robots, but it's worth mentioning as a spinoff of the Original Generation games. A sequel came out in Japan but never made it to the US.

Project X Zone (3DS)
This is a spinoff of a spinoff, which features characters from the Original Generation and Endless Frontier games and uses a turn-based strategy system dating back to Namco X Capcom (its more direct predecessor). Oh, and it has some other official video game properties too, I guess.

Non-Official Releases

These are the games that have been translated by fans, for fans. Please don't ask where to find fan-patched games in this thread.

Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden (PS1)
This is the second game in the long-running Super Robot Wars Alpha series, and the last SRW released for the PS1. It is considered one of the more challenging games in the franchise, but in a fun and rewarding way. It's also the first game to feature an Easy/Normal/Hard mode. This is my top recommendation for anyone wanting to play an accessible game in English. Notable series: Gundam Wing, Gundam X, Macross, Turn A Gundam, Great Mazinger, Xabungle

Super Robot Wars J (GBA)
This is a stand-alone portable SRW title, the last one released for the GBA. It came out years after Alpha Gaiden, and it shows. The animations in this GBA game are comparable or superior to those in their PS1 titles. This is also a top choice for anyone wanting to try out an SRW for the first time. The difficulty curve is somewhat nonexistent, so don't go in expecting much of a challenge. Notable series: Nadesico, Gundam SEED, G Gundam, Full Metal Panic, Tekkaman Blade, Mazinkaiser

Super Robot Wars 3 (SNES)
This is a game from the original SRW story series that spanned the NES and SNES. It was fully translated into English back before many of the anime series involved had highly publicized English releases, so the proper noun spellings can be hit or miss, and the translation can be spotty at times. The gameplay is very dated, with little to no actual animation of units, no option to toggle animations on or off, and no way to select counterattacks during enemy turns. Notable series: UC Gundam, Brave Raideen, Combattler V, Daitarn 3

Super Robot Wars 2 (NES)
This is the first SRW title to feature pilots and story dialogue. I can't say much about the gameplay since I haven't played it myself. Notable series: Grendizer, Getter Robo G, G Gundam

Super Robot Wars (GB)
This is the first SRW game, for the original Game Boy. Notable series: UC Gundam, Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, Dynamic crossover movies

Partial or Unfinished Fan Projects

Super Robot Wars Z2-1 and Z2-2 (PSP) MENU PATCH
Apparently somebody made a patch for "most menus", as well as unit listings, pilot listings, skills, items, and spirits. I would say that the patch itself is probably not worth bothering with, because as Samurai Sanders pointed out, menus between SRW games tend to be very similar. Once you can muddle through one game's menu interface, you can muddle through them all.

Super Robot Wars R (GBA) MENU PATCH
This is one of the SRW GBA games. Someone made a very barebones patch years ago that applies English to the basic game menus and unit lists, and I only mention it for completion's sake. Notable series: Shin Getter Robo vs. Neo Getter Robo, Gear Fighter Dendoh, Zambot 3

There are other fan translation projects underway for several games, including SRW EX (SNES), SRW 4 (SNES), SRW Alpha (PS1), and SRW GC (GC). Since fan projects tend to have periods of progress and periods of stalling, these can take years to get finished. Just don't hold your breath, and they'll come out eventually.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The soundtrack for Original Generations 2 was more amazing than it had any right to be (just like the game itself). It would be extremely hard for them to screw up the soundtrack on Z3 with their existing precedents.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Kurtofan posted:

Is RahXephon still in? It's the only robot anime I ever watched.

RahXephon has only been in SRW MX for PS2, but it had a solid entry there. MX itself is a really easy game for anyone to pick up and play.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Mercury Crusader posted:

Reminder that the power creep in Z3 is going to be ridiculous.

I hope they sell the mass production Bonta-kun version in the bazaar.

Edit: And that they let you put anyone in it. Or at least Kurz or Mao. Shut up, I can dream.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Levantine posted:

I ordered OG2 from a seller on Amazon that was Prime eligible. If you have Prime, that might be the way to go if you want a physical copy.

I just checked, and none of the Amazon sellers for Z3 have Prime eligibility. It's still a legit option for purchase, but I'm probably going to go the PSN card route just because I prefer less clutter.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

He never gets more wordy. Even when he becomes a literal messiah who fosters communication he does it by shooting glowing rainbows while he mehs it up.

For all that people complain about Heero being a silent deadpan guy, nobody ever seems to remember his crackpot speech about colony independence that he delivered as his words of introduction to his private school class, while his teacher awkwardly tried to get him to sit down and stop talking.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Heero in the first episodes is a weirdly different character from how he ended up. See also his bizarrely laughing scene.

But this was in the middle of the series. It was the second private school he went to, not the first.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Race Realists posted:

Are you kidding me?... J is the last thing I would recommend someone trying to get into this franchise

It's a simple, accessible game with readable English and a low difficulty curve. Unless you're saying J was hard?

I'd also agree with L-Gaim deserving more SRW billing. All it gets these days is SRW GC/XO. And NEO I guess.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I can agree with the boring gripe in the late game. Out of J and AG, Alpha Gaiden definitely has the more solid and engaging stage designs, so I'm keeping that as my top pick.

I also meant to say OE and not NEO. :shobon:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Huh, I'll be damned. I guess I'll add it to the list.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I can't seem to find any screenshots of this Z2 menu translation. If someone has it, would they be willing to post one or two?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The first scan there mentions Universal Century World (UCW) as the Z1 universe and Anno Domini World (ADW) as the Z2 universe. The prologue says that Zeuth crew went through the dimensional abyss at the end of Z2 in an effort to get back to UCW, but that they had no idea what new battles lay in store.

DLC stages:

Teacher & Partner (Free): Available after stage 4, rewards an auxiliary ISC
Turning Point (¥100): Available after stage 8, rewards a Quaintian sensor and magnetic coating
Farewell, Idol (¥100): Available after stage 8, rewards an inertial control system and precision scope lens
It's Not Easy Being a Salaryman (¥100): Available after stage 14, rewards a megabooster and Ikue's snack
The Form of Sincerity (¥150): Available after stage 16, rewards an autodefensor and trident-yaki
Psychic Operated (¥100): Available after stage 18, rewards a psychic reactor and booster
Soldiers, the World, and Peace (¥150): Available after stage 21, rewards a Crest of Hakai and propellant tank

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 3, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Onmi posted:

I've been hearing some stuff about the first four stages, and I gotta say it sounds... Well in some places it sounds like the series have reset, but that could just be the translators mucking up.
It's probably the translators mucking up. Here's my translation of the stage summaries.

Stage 1: The Hope Called Taboo
A new dimensional quake, the "New World Dimensional Quake," has merged UCW, ADW, and several other parallel worlds into a new world. The people have accepted the changes, and they've been living peacefully. One day, a dimensional quake occurs near Jindai High School in Tokyo-2, and an unknown robot appears. Another robot appears with it, and Hibiki climbs into it, determined to protect the city.

Stage 2: The New Problem Boy in Class
A new transfer student arrives at Jindai High the day after the attack by the unknown robot. His name is Sousuke Sagara. Hibiki and Sousuke both question each other's background. They get into a fight, but the fight is interrupted by a terrorist attack. The terrorists include the Firebugs, a group that acted in secret in ADW.

Stage 3: A Watched Back
Hibiki's secret identity is becoming harder to maintain while fighting, so he opts to join the SMS and Mithril team. Ozma, the commanding officer, wants to improve cooperation in the ragtag team, and he splits the team members into pairs for training. What is Ozma's real goal in sending teams out with the worst comps possible...?

Stage 4: Campus Defense Force
Sousuke needs support, and he gets it. In addition to the entire SMS team, the Mazinger Team with Kouji, Sayaka, Boss, Nuke, and Mucha transfer to Jindai High. The elementary school kids, Shotaro and Watta (of the Takeo General Company), also join in to form the Campus Defense Force. But Count Brocken is coming after Kouji, and he attacks right after Kouji transfers!

Edit: Added spoiler tags

Edit 2:

Endorph posted:

What exactly do you want? Anything more than that would require a huge amount of budget and time. The fact that dialogue is just talking heads is probably why they can afford to have so much plot in a fanservice crossover game.
Alpha and Alpha Gaiden had animated mouths (but not jaws) and blinking eyes for characters. In fact, they had dialogue boxes that filled one symbol at a time, and the mouths moved until the dialogue on that window finished. Unfortunately, the translations broke this functionality, because the on-off switch was the 「」 (Japanese quotation marks) at the beginning and end of each text window. You can still see the characters blink, though.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 3, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
You can get a ¥10,000 card code for $115 at Play-Asia.

Or a ¥1,000 card for $15.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Levantine posted:

Wow, that's far less expensive. Do they ship it or email the code?

Play-Asia has the code listed on your order page after you pay for it. Looks like Nippon-Yasan also says they e-mail it within 24 hours.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
You could just get the ¥10,000 card and buy the game and DLC both digitally. That's what I'm doing.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
For the record, the Tokyo 2 listed in the stage summary is 第2新東京市, so it's definitely the Evangelion one specifically, and I see no reason why they would depart from that naming scheme for Tokyo 3.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Why would you say that nothing they did stuck? Also, the summary mentions people living peacefully. That seems to point to peaceful governments to me. Merging doesn't mean a reset. It means merging. And it's probably partial merging that leaves out the bits not included in Z3, too.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
That made me go back and check the SRW1 DLC thing.

「第3次スーパーロボット大戦Z 時獄篇」ダウンロード版(PS3/PS Vita)にも、 期間限定として、HDリメイク版「スーパーロボット大戦」の特典が付きます。

対象期間4月10日 (木) ~4月23日 (水)

As long as you buy the downloadable version of the game before Wednesday, April 23, you get SRW1 (and the DLC stage) for free.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Caphi posted:

I liked both Crowe and Esther as a combination (with the usual misgivings). The trouble with Rand is that I'm pretty sure most of the relationships he already had are now gone. More of Crowe's/Esther's and Setsuko's buddies are still around.

I still say Setsuko's buddies should have stayed dead. Bringing them back at the end of Z1 just completely killed Setsuko's entire development arc and sent her back to square one in terms of how she started out as a character.

It's even more sad sad when considering that this is the only remotely strong and engaging female lead Banpresto has produced on a console SRW.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

I don't agree on that. Setsuko becoming the leader of the squad was the most natural place for her character development to go. You can make an argument it shouldn't have been the same guys again but her characterization isn't reset at all. She is not the same character at the end of Z1 that she was at the start.
The impression I got from her story was that the main focus of her character arc was on her grief and how it trapped her, both figuratively and literally.

Instead of getting over her grief, moving on, and becoming a wiser person for it, the universe threw her a bone and gave her her friends back. She didn't grow so much as her problems just magically went away in the end.

Pureauthor posted:

Doesn't Kusuha count? (OGs interpretation of her character aside.)
Admittedly Kusuha is the one route in Alpha 3 I never finished. Feel free to correct me if she's better than I thought.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I consider Setsuko's Bad Ending to be my canon. :v:

And conversely, I have zero problem with the games breaking series canon to go "Nope this is SRW, there are enough collective resources in the multiverse to save Aki/Four/etc."

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I hope you guys like inane posts.

They put some of the best series from portable games into Z3? Plus Gundam UC? I might have to come back from a several-year hiatus and get this iteration. I had stopped after being overwhelmed by Original Character Rehash Gaiden 2-kai or whatever.

Original Generations 2 came out just last year, and it is literally the best SRW game I've ever played to date. It has amazing graphics/animations, incredible music, and even somehow manages to have an engaging and entertaining plot against all possible odds. I would strongly suggest not letting OG Gaiden spoil this for you because you are seriously missing out if you skip it.

But hey, welcome to the thread! Get hype for Z3 next week.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

TheManSeries posted:

So where's the best place to get Japanese PSN credit without ludicrous markup? I'm wanting to get this digital to game share with someone.

General consensus seems to be Nippon-Yasan or Play-Asia.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

...Oh. I suppose I didn't really know what to expect, because Original Generations was basically a PS2 adaptation of the good ol' GBA games, and after that I couldn't really get invested in what was to follow. At that point the same battle system for two games straight was beginning to wear thin for me too, so either way I'd really like to be surprised by something more refreshing like Kusuha's beverages.

Other people have said it and I was the same - I was not expecting much coming in, but the game absolutely blew me away. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you give it a shot.

Also Ing loves Kusuha's drinks. :v:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I ordered a JP PSN code from Nippon-Yasan 11 hours ago and they still haven't sent my code. The suspense is killing me.

In the meantime, I'm browsing the Japanese PSN store. I thought Dark Prison was supposed to be out by now, but I don't see it listed anywhere?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AradoBalanga posted:

Dark Prison has been out since the 31st.

Source? Seriously, I browsed the entire "Simulation" section of the PSN Store looking for Dark Prison and couldn't find it. I searched the overall store for SRW and found lots of titles but not that one. If it's out, where is it?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

All it's saying is that as of 3/31, it is showing the tax included price, and that the bundle with Infinite Battle was released on 11/28, and it will be available individually in spring 2014.

Well, balls. They don't have much time left in Spring 2014. :mad:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Just as an update, I did get my PSN code from Nippon-Yasan right around the 22 hour mark, and it works. When they say within 24 hours, be ready for it to be close to that.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I ordered it at 1 AM Sunday morning, got it at 11 PM Sunday night.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Your bank or CC company should be able to authorize foreign transactions for temporary periods of time if you don't want it permanently enabled.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Do we know if this game gives any kind of bonuses for existing saves from prior games? Loading my PS2 and PSP game saves onto the PS3 would be kind of a pain but I have a codebreaker, so I can do it if I have to.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Brunom1 posted:

More BGMs incoming:

FUMOFUUUUUUUUUU!

This isn't really a thing to complain about, but "Tokkou Yarou" comes from the Japanese title of the A-Team. Trying to translate it directly kind of misses the reference.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

I assume you mean this version.

This is seriously the best thread.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Onmi posted:

By the way, has anyone edited the Alpha Save Editor to work on Windows 7?

Not that I know of. The creator's website states that the older save editors will only run on 32-bit OSes for whatever reason (:psyduck:), and I've seen no recourse in dealing with this except to keep a computer around with a 32-bit OS. Emulating XP on a 64-bit machine won't cut it.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Isn't the Nu Gundam's symbol just an extra-stylized A (for Amuro)?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno, you tell me.

I've never seen that unicorn on it before. The standard emblem looks more like this.

It's an A, for Amuro.

Edit: Oh I see, the unicorn is shown on the shield, the shoulder is just the A.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
From the standpoint of a Full Metal Panic fan, this game is everything I wanted and then some. From the standpoint of an SRW fan, the gameplay is smooth, the streamlined Maximum Breaks are great, the animation is (mostly) solid, the music is decent.

It's a fantastic game all around and the only competitor I can name in terms of sheer quality is OGs2.

That said, I haven't gotten past stage 9 yet. :shobon:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

MonsieurChoc posted:

SO I can't directly transfer from my ps3 to my vita if it's a different account? drat. :smith:

You can, if you're willing to do a factory reset on your Vita and bind it to your Japanese PSN account. Nothing short of this will let you play a Japanese game on your Vita.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
If they meant "A fourth sphere", I think they would have said something like "もう一個の名称不明のスフィア", rather than "名称不明の4つのスフィア". I personally believe it is meant to say "Four spheres".

But unfortunately, it can be legitimately interpreted both ways, so you won't get a definitive answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's true, but what gets me about the B-team games is extra grunts showing up for no reason on the opposite side of the map, just as you've finished off the enemies that actually matter to the story. Sometimes they don't even come towards you, forcing you to move your whole army across the map just to end the drat stage.

My response to that is to camp my guys out and wait. They'll eventually lose patience and start moving after another 3 turns or so. :v:

• Locked thread