Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Either skip hiking or go hiking. It'll branch briefly but keep your team together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Oh, yeah. You hold out until the goal changes. If anyone attacks before the event, Brocken kills the hostages.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've also been noticing the grunt HP thing early on, and the size modifier issue. I'm fine as long as I'm fighting Votoms grunts, but as soon as the Mazinger grunts show up, it suddenly takes a concerted effort by three teams to take down a pair of Talos statues. The damage penalty is starting to become noticeable.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Most of the time I play my PSP, it's at home anyway. So no reason to go Vita for me.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
In other words, they're still not doing a cut-in with the world's most hilarious supervillain pipe organ cockpit setup. That's disappointing.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ethiser posted:

I don't think people want all the nuances and gritty details of the story. If they are like me they just like having a general idea of what's going and who is saying what to who.

This is horrible logic. Don't encourage people to halfass something for free attention and internet points just because you personally are willing to accept low-to-nonexistent standards. This is how lovely translations propagate across the Internet and drown out the more serious efforts by sheer numbers and first posts alone.

Edit: Also, "a general idea" is not the same as "who is saying what to who". If an accurate translation of what is being said counts as "gritty details" to you, I don't know what to tell you.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 3, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've found myself wishing that I could translate as I went along while playing Z3. If someone happens to have access to a script dump, I would love to play around with it.

Wow, though. I'm looking at that crowdsourced Z3 translation.

"I was for sure protecting Nanally-sama… But for some reason, I couldn't resist on handing over Nanally-sama to the intruder."
"There's such powers exist…?"
"Those who swinging the earth and colony. And handed over the two Foreign Vice-Minister who represent peace…"

Conclusion: Caphy was not kidding.

Edit: Your translation project might have issues when these are your "useful resource" links.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 3, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I did translating from a TV screen for Alpha 2 and I don't think I can go back to that method again. Having the raw text is so much more empowering than squinting and hoping you get a kanji right. I was just hoping someone happened to have access to tools that could produce that.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AradoBalanga posted:

Well, it had to start somewhere. Someone on /m/ put up the pre-battle dialogue for Full Frontal vs. Bonta-kun.

"You, the one inside that thing. Do you claim that having a will makes you different from me?"
"Fumo!"
"But you're launching in that thing because someone wanted you to, just as I am the embodiment of the desires of the Spacenoids. We're alike, you and I."

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ethiser posted:

I wonder if we'll get a new original for Z3.2. Z2.2 didn't but I really like seeing their robot interpretations of astrology.

Poor Esther. Might as well have just not existed.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

I think the teacher in Z3 may be worse than Esther in terms of actually doing poo poo. She is just so loving boring. I can't think of a single even remotely interesting thing she does in the course of the entire game beyond provide the fuel for your basic finisher.

It's worth mentioning one conversation from the middle of the game after Paradigm City. Someone (Duo, I think?) asks Traia how Esther's doing these days and if they can see her. She says Esther's doing fine and is "busy elsewhere", but she'll be glad to bring Esther in when she's done with whatever that is.

So there you have it. Sorry guys, she's busy.

That puts the teacher slightly above her in terms of doing things, I think. Especially considering that Esther spent most of Z2.2 as an object, a damon in a fridge, as Kanos said.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

HiKaizer posted:

It seemed like it was related to his being able to summon Genion, which only started from the beginning of the game I believe. But I could have easily missed it being a thing he's had forever, my Japanese is not so great really.

No it was new to him when he first did it. Probably tied to the Geneon bond.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

Speaking of that, AG sure knows how to read the air, as they say in Japan.

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be atmosphere, not air, for what that's worth. Agreed, though. It's a nice touch.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

AG is the best original character in the game.

Not exactly setting a high bar there. :v:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Personally, I just stick Mikono or Mix in for three turns' worth of Wall. Aquarion EVOL has no trouble surviving with proper usage of spirits. Without Wall, it still tends to die for me in 3 hits when fully maxed out on all sides (with no armor items, too busy using a flight module and two attack items), but the same can be said for every other robot in the game except maybe Gunbuster.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

KoB posted:

edit: vvvvv Aquarion can fly when the Element system activates.

Yes it can, but I keep the flight module to give all weapons S ranks in the air when many of them have Bs otherwise.

ImpAtom posted:

That's weird. If anything I found the units too tanky in the game. The three Evangelions took maybe 200 damage total over the course of the game and all of that was Asuka and her relatively crappier AT Field.

Asuka nearly got 2-shotted by the Mycenae in my experience. They were doing 3-4k per hit, same as they were on Aquarion.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I like S ranks, what can I say? I've been going for maximal damage on Aquarion. :shobon:

Edit: I also like high damage right out the gate. Why wait for Elements to kick in when I can just do more immediately?

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 10, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Infinity Gaia posted:

I like how one of the names the random team name generator spits up is ZEUXIS though. I actually ended up using that one because, seriously, Z-BLUE?

I used my favorite stock generated name, 特攻Zチーム!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

TARDISman posted:

Magneito-Ten was from MX, and I think the team in Alpha Gaiden was called the Irregulars.

Only the badguys in Alpha Gaiden referred to the hero team as Irregulars. The only thing the heroes call themselves is the Preventers, when they all unify under that banner to fight against the Titans before the time jump.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

HitTheTargets posted:

Isn't that a post-series Wing Gundam thing?

Yeah, it is. In the Alpha Gaiden setting, it's an umbrella organization formed by the AEUG, Karaba, and the League Militia to oppose the Titans.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
On the note of Noriko, her ace ability in Z3 is just aces. I know I could also cast Miracle using items, but I keep forgetting they exist, so having it kick in for Noriko at a controllable morale level is great.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
In summary, Misato is worried about the Eva kids. Noriko hears this and takes it upon herself to drill some fighting spirit into them, with Simon helping. Then later on after the fight, it turns out Misato was worried about their school grades, not their performance in battle.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

I wish I could justify the DLC chapters. Some of them seem cute but not Pay Actual Moneys cute.
Agreed. I just finished the last of the DLC stages, which I bought because I had the extra yen on my PSN account after buying Z3 and Dark Prison through the PSN store. Out of all of them, only the "Hard Mission" stage presented anything remotely challenging or engaging. The rest are just occasionally cute side stories, including a retread of the Tessa vs. Mao episode of Full Metal Panic. They have nice items, but again, not Pay Actual Moneys nice.

Admittedly I enjoyed the banter in the couples mission, where Aoi casually asked Takeru if he liked Roze or someone else, he gave a waffling answer, and she asked if that meant she had a shot. Then quickly assured him she was kidding. Except not totally.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 15, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
So far my favorite ace pilot conversation is with Four. Paraphrased:

"Happy ace pilot, Four!"
"Why thank you, AG!"
"So, how would you like to celebrate with some Vietnamese noodles?"
"...That's pho."

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Oh Snapple! posted:

What the gently caress did I just fight on the last stage? :gonk:
A giant enemy crab.

Sphere Reactor: The Silent Crab.

Now that I'm also done with the game, some general thoughts:

Mechanics:
The Extra Action tag command is hilariously broken and I will be surprised if it remains as-is in the next game. Using it with Aquarion Guepard and anyone with Hit & Away was ridiculous in the endgame. Because I happened to give Mikono Hit & Away at random earlier in the game and the others didn't have it, she suddenly became a destroyer of worlds and my top ace in the game.

Money was very plentiful in this game. By the end of it, I'd spend 10 minutes or more during intermissions just browsing my unit list looking for something I might want to max out that I hadn't already.

I wish I'd realized systems weren't equippable parts before stage 58. :doh:

Story:
The Gemini plotline fizzled out abruptly, and as a result seemed to only exist to further Hibiki's power level development. As soon as the Geneon stole the Quarreling Twins sphere, the entire Gemini arc and all of its remaining loose ends immediately fell off a cliff.

I'm keenly interested in seeing what they do with Full Metal Panic. The preview seems to be setting up for what is so far a novel only story, and that's unexplored territory for SRW. If FMP sets the precedent, will they follow it with Hathaway's Flash in the same game?

As mentioned prior, the DLC added very little to the story. This is debatably good or bad; If it did add to the story with interesting plot bits, then they would effectively be paywalling parts of the plot. As it is, they paywalled some token dialogue and nice items instead. If those stages had been actual stages, they would have artificially lengthened the game with some overall bland filler. As it is, it's just optional filler. :v:

I thoroughly enjoyed the way they handled Char's Counterattack in Z3. It felt like Neo Zeon was taken more seriously this time as an actual political entity rather than yet another antagonist faction, the way it gets treated in other SRW titles. They went to considerable lengths to emphasize that there were peace talks and political discussions going on leading up to the declaration of war, and that it wasn't just a thing they decided to do one day because newtypes and evolution. Also, the original BGM they tended to use for talks in Char's office really seemed to fit the CCA musical tone to me.

As far as Eva goes, I think that if they wanted to treat Mari as such a nonentity of a character, she shouldn't have been the default option for people who didn't take a certain path split. She should have been a secret to work toward.

Final thoughts - Dear Banpresto, please bring back the old Aquarion and give it a combination attack with Aquarion EVOL. TIA, MGMT

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

TARDISman posted:

I find this funny because it seems like the opposite of what they were going for.
I can appreciate that as a "show default" option, and it's sensible. My beef is just with how literally nonexistent the character is. As in, people ask where the new pilot is, and the answer is "She said she was going to her room, and to act like she's not here," and they proceed to do so for the rest of the game. Even if this is necessitated by a lack of distinctive characterization in the movies, it feels weird having that in particular as the default.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
One last impression (:v:) about Z3-1 while I'm thinking about it.

I miss boss music. Only Gadlight and Iku had any at all, and aside from them, it felt kind of underwhelming just hearing the same hero themes in every boss fight.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Oh Snapple! posted:

This also struck me. 2nd OGs got me used to some rad boss themes to blow poo poo up to, and this game was sorely lacking in that.
Yeah, that's it in a nutshell. They've done so great in the past. Even prior games before OGs2 had generic boss themes like The Arrow of Destiny to mix it up a bit.

I also miss all the Insalaum music.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Hunter Noventa posted:

You have Xenosaga but no Xenogears. For shame. Xenogears and Xabungle would go together SO WELL.

I'm imagining the endgame plot there. The Zohar shuts down, cutting off the ether power source to all Gears in existence. Suddenly, combustible engine powered mechs go from laughingstock and cannon fodder to king of the hill.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
If I had to name a favorite, it would probably be Messenger from the Void or Genocide Machine.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's worth mentioning that the Sunrise Eiyutan/World War games did on foot battles. It's not entirely unprecedented. And hey, that got us Ronin Warriors in a giant robot game. :v:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Brunom1 posted:

And here we go - I believe these are the last of the import
From the Evangelion movie and, this time, you get it as Mari's BGM...after you kill off Asuka. You son of a bitch! :argh:

She's not dead. She's incapacitated!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Technically it's support defense + afterimage, but yeah that's my pick for most hilarious SRW mechanic.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
On the note of Aquarion EVOL, I have not watched the series, but after seeing the way it was handled in Z3, I have to agree with the rest of the thread's assessment that the supporting cast is a thousand times more interesting than the main protagonists. I was ready for Yunoha to be a bad character just from her design alone, but she turned out to have one of the more touching story arcs in the game.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

Anti-beam coatings of various intensities started becoming commonplace since the Hyaku Shiki. A whole lot of mobile suits are capable of soaking a beam rifle hit or two if it doesn't hit anything vital or even effectively tanking the shot on their shields. A Beam Magnum shot will go through the shield and the mobile suit behind it.

I'd like to take this moment to touch upon mobile suit shields and the way they used to work mechanically. In the original Gundam novel, they were very specifically described as one-time usage items. The shields had a reinforcing layer of structured metal that would essentially melt and lose its resistant structure on the molecular level after absorbing a single shot. So they would look the same outwardly, but be functionally useless after one use. In this sense, the Impact/MX/Advance shield upgrade system (upgrading # of uses) actually comes the closest to an accurate reflection of in-series mechanics.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AradoBalanga posted:

So...about that new Masoukishin game...
Amara, you have some explaining to do.

Forget that. How do you lose track of your own Elemental Lord?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AradoBalanga posted:

Probably a "unit that [X character] uses until returning to normal mech" type thing.

To clarify, the description says Tytti is piloting that new thing because Gaddess is missing. Which means somehow they lost track of an Elemental Lord.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Lostconfused posted:

This sounds really strange to me because I could wipe out squads with a single attack starting with stage 20 or 30 in Alpha games. Whenever it is that pilots started getting valor which was like a 3rd or 4th spirit command on the list

Seriously. I lost my screencap of it years and years ago, but I got around 1375 kills in a single stage in Alpha 3, and 90% of them were from the Ideon. It is not hard to kill mass amounts of grunts with ALL attacks and MAP weapons. In fact it's easier in Alpha 3 because they don't penalize ALL attack damage the way they do in Z. At least, I'm pretty sure they don't.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
You guys are leaving out Aquarion Guepard's insane EN-based 5x3 rectangle map weapon. Pair it with somebody who has Hit & Away, and you might as well have a post movement map weapon for all intents and purposes, because it's very unlikely you won't have two stars after using it. Admittedly, it requires some setup in the form of an initial use of Zeal (or Plat Emblem) and Assault (plus Basara) in order to destroy one grunt team and get the initial two stars needed to get the infinite multi-action chain going on turn 1.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

If I'm understanding it right, Axis is the singularity that created this new world, meaning that it can repair the dimension whatever and save the world from Eternity Flat. Threatening to crash it into the earth was Char's plan to get all of humanity focused on it and do that dimension repair thing. He didn't tell the rest of Neo Zeon this though; rather that it was for the normal revenge for the one year war stuff, so they felt betrayed.

One correction: It was never about revenge for the OYW, even in CCA. That said, in Z3, I'm fairly certain Haman believed it was all about Neo Zeon's interests and establishing themselves decisively as a political power free of the Earth's control. When she found out that everything Char was doing was for this singularity instead, she was outraged not only because he did it for the sake of theatrics rather than an actual drop, but also because he did it all without letting her in on the plot. She accused him of putting her on the same level of untrustworthiness as Frontal, and she attacked as a boss to avenge the slight against all of Neo Zeon. She only left grudgingly when Char pleaded with her to retreat, because he left her in charge of Neo Zeon and they needed her leadership.

• Locked thread