Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
  • Locked thread
Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Man, that is a really boring thread title.

If you want a starting point for English games, play J. J has a lot of problems but they won't be nearly as noticeable if it's your first one.

If you want a starting point for the series and don't care about language, get SRW Z1 (PS2 Classic for PS3) off the PSN store. It's only 1500 yen and it's one of the best SRWs ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

MechaX posted:

So, I haven't even bothered to play Z2-1 and 2-2 all the way through yet, but I am very tempted in getting Z-3 for some reason.

Is this necessarily recommended/can I just get the cliff's notes version of 2-1 and 2-2 somewhere?

Z2-1 "cliff notes" can be found here, as a translated Let's Play.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

This got a full "WHAT?!" and a click out of me except it's just a menu patch, which is like the SRW OE of English patches.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

You suckers and your English patches. In my day we played through SRW in Japanese without animation skip. Uphill. Both ways.

My first SRW was SRW3 when the English patch hit. I don't know if that's better or worse than starting out raw.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

What the hell is Multitarget? That's not good at all.

Also I was gonna comment on his less-than-max SP (OH poo poo BOSSES USE SPIRITS?!) but, right, NEO mechanics.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ShiunTouya posted:

Genion spoilers:

E X C E L L E N T

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

How tall is regular Genion? Because Genion GAI is 45m tall, which is firmly in Super Robot territory. So much for "another lovely real!"

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

I just hope the Soul nerf means more pilots will get Soul or Valor instead of both.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Dr Pepper posted:

The best crossover event.

Ryoma shoots Simon with Getter Beam to give him a power boost needed to combine into the Chouginga Gurren Lagann

There's no way this is real.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

Kallen gets soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCBMvDQOH3g

The results are hilarious.

jesus christ

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

So, do you just keep TTGL even after the Anti-Spiral battle?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Noriko's line in the epilogue made me think we might see Diebuster next game. Is that feasible?

Also, "the fate of the blue world and the green one" almost gave me Gaogaigar hype but I know better.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Ethiser posted:

The green world is obviously an earth that has been very polluted. You know what series takes place on a polluted earth. G Gundam. Momaru's dad was also Domon's dad and the Genesic GaoGaiGar fills the roll of the Devil Gundam. Make it happen Banpresto.

The green world is Arktos and we're going to have Gear Fighter Dendoh back

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

It turns out that Z3-2 is gonna skip Gundam ZZ and go straight to Gundam ZZZ.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

TARDISman posted:

I'm using Elle and the Purus pretty heavily, but that's because I like the Super Gundam and the Qubeley Mk II more than anything else. Also those three actually have Focus and Flash. It took Beecha until level 20 to learn Wall, which is still pretty awful to have alone on the Hyaku Shiki. Friggin' Super Dijeh better be worth it.

The Ples are pretty good in MX (or rather I should say the Qubeleys* are) because they get a decent combo attack.

*Notably, all the combo attacks in the game are robot-specific instead of pilot-specific, so if you put Amuro and Quattro into the Qubeleys they can Twin Funnel, etc. This only really affects UC and Mazinger units.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

How do they handle the Spiral Labyrinth?

Wow, this made me just think that Gundam Build Fighters is one.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Pureauthor posted:

Eurogamer came out with an article for SRW.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...uper-robot-wars

Man, I dunno either.

Dear lord, somebody in that comments section is actually disappointed the article's not about that shithead Robot Wars that sucked up the title trademark in English-speaking nations.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The only problem I have with the accuracy penalty is that it's trivial to overcome it with Strike/Focus/Command Bonuses/Friendship Bonuses/EWACs/etc, while smaller units will always face the damage penalty unless they have size-ignoring attacks or abilities. I'd like to see something like an accuracy cap against smaller units, like 10% or 20% below 100% per level of difference.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Oh my god, all the Gundam Anti-Spiral Labyrinths are just agonizing. Poor Camille.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Ethiser posted:

Now I want to see a gimmick game where they change all the plots to make the usual enemies into the good guys and have you control them.

The noble army of Zeon combines forces with noted freedom fighter Dr. Hell to defeat the evil Earth Federation and free Japan from the iron fisted tyranny of Mazinger Z and Getter Robo.

It's actually really easy to do this with Mazinger since Dr. Hell was secretly a good guy the whole time.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Endorph posted:

Actually I unironically love watching all the SEEDs/Instincts/Zero Systems/Epyon Systems/Overskills/etcs going off at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-L9dxe0lWk

God, I wish I still had that 4koma about the Alpha 3 Will activations.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Prism posted:

The Sphere-users will just combine into a twelve or more-man unit, Zodiac.

oh my god that's what the Z in SRW Z stands for

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The only alternative I could think of would be to give the AT Field its own armor stat (which would have to start off somewhat inflated to make it actually useful in the long term, or simply scale with Synchro Rate). I do dig that increasing Eva pilot Defense makes the AT Field more resilient, though.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Nyeehg posted:

2. Do AT fields work the same way as they did in MX/Alpha 3? Heard some minor disagreement on this in casual conversation.

AT Fields work like "classic" SRW barriers (aka how they've mostly worked)-- they stop all damage under a certain threshold and if the threshold is reached then the whole attack penetrates. The difference is that SRWZ3 AT Fields are immune to the "barrier pierce" property of certain weapons (and combination attacks) unless they specifically cancel out AT Fields. If Volfogg were in Z3, he'd be very disappointed.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the animations in Coffin of the end End look pretty drat good. If the standing/reeling animations weren't so static, I'd nearly want that presentation in a traditional SRW out of curiousity.

Also, it doesn't help that it would look superior to nearly every 3D SRW.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

It had Clock Manager which was hilariously broken as gently caress.

To elaborate, Clock Manager was like OG2 Stun Shot but EN-based, on a machine accompanied a pair of unique EN resupply jets (that don't lower Will), whose second-to-last upgrade is 100% EN regen, whose pilot learns Fury, and also happens to have a large MAP Weapon and really good stats all around.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Somebody spoil Char's plan/plot in Z3 for me, please. I won't be getting to it for a long while.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still haven't seen a double combining super robot, where each part of it is made of multiple smaller robots that are already combined.

edit: nested robots like Gurren Lagann are awesome though. I have a robot so big it fits over my other robot.

Dairugger XV is basically this, 3 combining robots each of which are made of 5 combining mecha.

edit: didn't see the new page :/

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

FINE, JESUS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyqPwmshOn4

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Didn't Hokuto post her thoughts on it at some point in this thread? I'm 70% sure that somebody must have gone in on it, Dark Prison came out a while ago.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

DyGenGuar, don't confuse the poor lad.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

muike posted:

HEATS or Ima Ga Sono Toki Da? Your life depends on this answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71wG9uLaMLQ

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tae posted:

I always think Getter is useless, personally. Too expensive for its attacks and pretty fragile for a Super. The only exception was Getter 2 in A because you can stack the 30% dodge modifier, basically making it my MVP.

Nah, dog. It has the spirits and SP pool to alert/guard/invincible everything until you get enough will for Open Get to start activating. And god forbid the games where Getter Vision stacks with Open Get.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Getsuya posted:

We'd also need the kids from that anime about building Gundam models to take Di Gi Charat's place as the 'not a real anime, just an advertisement' selection.

uh build fighters is (a) loving badass and (b) gonna be insanely good once it hits super robot wars

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

TARDISman posted:

Hell, at least 2 attacks were pretty much animated with Super Robot Wars in mind.

I'm sure the entirety of episode 25 was attempts to fill out attack lists for Super Robot Wars.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

I just picked up and started A Portable, and boy howdy do I loving despise Akito Tenkawa right about now. I wish his death wasn't a game over condition just so I could Mega Particle Cannon his rear end into fry grease.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Daler Mehndi posted:

If that's the mission I'm thinking of, yes, it's annoying as hell. I think the easiest way to solve it is to surround Akito and prevent him from moving.

Yeah, it's not like he's even losing the game for me. It's that that I had this Rube Goldberg device precisely set up to bring the bosses to Run Away + 1 HP so I could ice them, and then Captain rear end in a top hat decides to mosquito bite them and cost the fleet several dozen grand.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Yeah, it's generally agreed that there's no way in hell they're gonna use the actual episode 7 plot since everything that happened was stupid, terrible, and wouldn't actually contribute to the game one bit. At least they basically have open season to make Laplace's Box into anything they want!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's just fine by me. I was disappointed by their attempts to make what seemed like just a historical oddity into something that would change humanity forever.

Yeah, they treat it as a game-changer when it's the equivalent of a bullet point in a Cracked article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Ethiser posted:

The secret of Laplace's Box will probably be something like all the worlds were originally one or maybe something to do with Paradigm City. I imagine the events with the Unicorn itself will play out somewhat similarly. It basically lets them do something similar to what they did with the Nirvash at the end of Z.

Isn't that the trick to Orguss? All the worlds were just Earth in either different points in time (dinosaurs, French Revolution, Chiram) or different histories (Jaby, Emaan, Atlantis, Mu). I mean, I guess this is more evidence that such would be the case with Laplace's Box, but it doesn't really come as a surprise at all.

• Locked thread
«4 »