Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

Reminder that the power creep in Z3 is going to be ridiculous.

And also, ZZ isn't going to be in Z3 and that's a drat shame. We're missing out on high-quality mobile suits, people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

It's a good thing I ordered a physical copy rather than buying it digitally. I have finals to worry about, then I can waste my time destroying everything with Bonta-kun.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

I was a little concerned about animations for returning characters just being literal copy-pastes from Z2, but then I saw Orguss.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

TARDISman posted:

That loving Scopedog attack hahahahahaha. Son of a bitch I've grown fond of Chirico recently.

Right now, that attack, along with the big Orguss attack, are competing for my top favorite attack animations in SRW.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

Embed this at the top of the OP and on the top of every page, thanks in advance:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

It's too bad classic Mazinger isn't in the game, because this would've ruled for Boss Borot.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

My copy of Z3 arrived today, but I have to hold off on playing it for now because of finals.

Also, Patlabor in a good SRW please.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

I miss Armageddon Musashi.

Also, if you didn't use Getter-3 in SRW Z2-1 when Musashi was around you are a terrible person.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

I'm kinda disappointed that Mazinger doesn't have Kanjite Knight for its BGM, so I ended up just using the Z2 version until I can find a better instrumental version I guess. Was kinda tempted to use the SRW OE version for maximum trumpets. Will probably use Yuusou for Shin Getter once I get that. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to try out different tracks for the Zeta units because I'm not that big a fan of Senkou no Naka no MS.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

ImpAtom posted:

Kanjite Knight is in the game IIRC.

If it is, it's probably a hidden track which doesn't make any sense at all.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

SRW Compact did fine without an original. Just have Don Zauser be the final boss in every game.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

I like just listing the series I want together in a game and then figure out how to tie their plots together later. Or never, whatever! I make the best series choices after all.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

And they couldn't be bothered to include the King Beal or the Iron Gear. What a shame.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

Reive posted:

So I picked up OG2nd on a whim never having played an SRW game, I figured out a lot of stuff just by poking around with a menu translation guide, but I'm still confused about some things.

1. What exactly do the shoulder buttons do when preparing to attack/being attacked? I think one of them lowers the enemy's chance to hit but that's all I can tell.
2. Why do some attacks get greyed out? Some use energy and some seem to have limited uses, but beyond that there's a number next to greyed out ones that I can't correlate to anything.
3. What does it mean when an attack is colored differently (say green)?
4. What are the different options when using paired units?

Beyond that I just have the same issues I have with other rpgs/tactical games in that I have no idea what I should be spending my money on upgrading, or weather it's more important to use it on mech stats or pilot stats, but that's more game theory stuff, I don't think I'll really be able to screw myself in the long run can I?

I haven't played OG2nd (because I'm one of the few people here that doesn't really care for the originals) but I can answer a few of these.

1. In other games, it's usually a quick way to rotate between "attack/defend/dodge" during a counterattack. You can tell which is which by looking at how many percentages you see on the screen on each option.

2. If an attack is greyed out despite you having enough EN or ammo to use it, it means one of three things:
- That attack is not in range of any valid targets
- That attack is not usable after moving. Attacks labeled with a "P" mean they are post-movement attacks. Anything without it is usually regulated to long range or sniper-like attacks.
- You may need more morale/will to actually use the attack. Most finisher-style attacks require a certain minimum before you can actually use it.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at Jul 4, 2014 around 16:41

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

Always max upgrade Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, and whatever Amuro is piloting. Also always max upgrade all Scopedogs ever. And prioritize the Boss Borot above all else.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

I'm kind of sad that Shin Mazinger is gonna be the default Mazinger to use from now on, because my favorite part of new SRW games was seeing how Banpresto was going to animate classic Boss Borot's attacks. I guess they could make Shin Mazinger's Boss Borot have hilarious attack animations as well, but they seemed to have limited the goofiness to missed attack animations and failed-to-pierce-the-barrier animations.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

Put a huge emphasis on post-apocalyptic-esque rebuilding whatever series, so like Turn-A Gundam, Overman King Gainer, Xabungle, Big O, GunXSword, some kind of Zoids stuff I guess, one or many or all of the Sakura Taisen stuff, and only the first half of Gurren Lagann. Maybe find room for some other equivalent shows. And then throw some time-travel stuff because we gotta have Mazinger, Getter, and Amuro hanging around.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

No lie, I'll play Super Robot Musou. I'm Part of the Problem.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

Actually, Inazuma Kick in Z3-1 ruled if you Know Your Mecha (tm). It's a callback to Episode 1. Z3 Comparison.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

Endorph posted:

Z3-2 is confirmed, only new series are Eureka Seven AO, Gundam AGE, and Valvrave

rip SRW games

I was hoping the missing crew would return but I guess that was too much to ask for.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

ImpAtom posted:

He's joking about what might happen.

Well that's a relief. I've been out of the loop and in a slump. Where's my 70s, SRW?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

Just gimme back Xabungle at least. We could've had Jiron throw a universe-sized ICBM that was fired outta nowhere but nope

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

BlitzBlast posted:

I feel like it's taking longer and longer for somebody to link Ginguizer every time we bring up dream SRW inclusions.

I've done it enough times, gotta let others get in on that Ginguizer hype.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

I do like the new Daitarn 3 and Zambot 3 look, and Trider G7 looks like it's getting some new stuff as well. Also like seeing Turn-A Gundam back. Otherwise, it's a shame they didn't just flood the game with all the previous franchises they left out last time. Oh well.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

That Mazinger Z attack animation in that PV is way too busy. I don't know if I could survive in a world where Mazinger Z does like three or four different things in a row during an attack animation as if it were a real robot.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

I'm used to my attack animations being stock footage found in both OPs and at least a hundred times throughout the series.

That's actually cool that the attack is a reference to the second OP, didn't actually realize that. It's been a while since I last saw the show, and that clip goes by pretty fast.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

In my SRW fanfic I am Toei and I interpret every series in a '70s super robot style. Get ready for 90+ stages and monster-of-the-week plots for at least 85 of those stages.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

Davzz posted:

How often does Kouji Kabuto die in Magma?

Every stage is titled "[PROTAGONIST] DIES IN [PREDICAMENT]" and you never know if it's true or not unless that protagonist is Musashi.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like Dancouga Nova. Never watched the show, probably never will, but it's a cool unit with a cool theme song, so it's okay in my books.

Dancouga Nova is one of things where, just like the original Dancouga, it's much better in SRW than it is in the actual show. I mean there were parts of the original Dancouga I liked, but not much in Nova I did like outside of Aoi yelling attack names and being hot-blooded in general.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

At this point I'm sure Frontier has been in more games than original Macross. Which is a drat shame.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Upgrade to the original RX-78 that's somehow good enough for the endgame for no reason.

If Chirico can compete in his Scopedog, then Amuro can in his original amchine.

The main reason I wish they would use 0079 more often is because I wanna see the RX-78 in a modern game. The closest we got was SRW A Portable on the PSP, and I'm sure it used an older sprite as a base for those animations.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

Lostconfused posted:

dem spoilars http://tehepero.org/komica/main/src/1427637600678.jpg

Or much more likely just a really dumb photoshop

Finally, Amuro is Hiroshi.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

Well I guess I know where the budget for the FMP unit's animation went.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

drrockso20 posted:

You haven't become a true nerd until you're trying to sort out a massive 20-50 series list and figuring out how all the series interact with each other in all sorts of ridiculous ways

It's easy for me because a large chunk of the interactions would be just generic '70s super robot team up excuse of "the bad guys are working together so I guess we're working together as well." Maybe crudely mash Patlabor's stuff with Daiguard's stuff. I think the most fun would be trying to shove in as many "post-apocalypse-esque" settings together in a grand world building exercise.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

I have to agree with the sentiment that Z1 was the best of this series. It had a great mix of old and new entries, good variety in their settings (more traditional SRW setting of UC Gundam with Dynamic Pro dudes, post-apocalypse Xabungle/Turn-A/Gainer, etc), a great excuse to mash drastically differing series together with Orguss, the huge jump in animation quality, it really was the perfect storm.

I liked Z2.1 as well, mostly due to how it handled some of its new entries, but that was the last SRW game I actually did multiple playthroughs of. I wasn't as big a fan of Z2.2 and only cleared it once, and I haven't even finished Z3.1 yet. I think a lot of it has to do with how they handled the roster after Z2.1. And I guess I'm still trying to cope with the realization that '70s Dynamic Production guys are probably never going to be utilized again, which despite their inclusion in the majority of SRW games were my favorite entries in general.

Like I'm probably one of maybe two or three western SRW fans that gets excited about having a '70s or early '80s super robot show as an entrant but they were the biggest reason I got interested in both SRW The Game Series and goofy robot anime in general.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at Apr 9, 2015 around 21:21

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

Hokuto posted:

This is my reason for preferring Z1. RIP Grendizer.

The sad thing is that Grendizer was the least-utilized out of the four. They put so much love into Grendizer's animations in Z1 and we'll probably never see it again.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

Davzz posted:

Will classic Tetsujin be in Black and White though? That's very important.

And then no one would tell the difference during the last Gunbuster episode

It'd be great if they had classic Tetsujin and the entire cast is black and white but nobody else makes mention of it or notices it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

Since it seems like there aren't many modern mecha shows that are super popular the way Code Geass and Gurren Lagann were, time to roll that clock back! Introduce Barattack, Albegas, Dorvack, Laserion, just go hog wild digging in the archives.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

Pureauthor posted:

Apropos of nothing, is it possible to get a PS3 on the cheap nowadays?

I bought a PS3 slim at a local pawn shop for $75 last week to replace my aging and loud OG backwards compatible PS3. Normally they were selling them for about $130 or so but they had a lot of people trading in PS3s during the holidays and needed to clear a bunch. Xbox 360s weren't price slashed as badly. Check out your local pawn shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

Popped in randomly to see what was up and, huh, I guess that's how they'll get Shin Great Mazinger into the series, one way or the other.

• Locked thread
«2 »