Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.
Contest time!

Because I am a deranged person, I want to fulfill the wish of one of you guys to be able to experience this greatest of games for yourself, therefore I grabbed a gift copy during the Steam sale. Also there's gonna be a secret runner up prize.

So there's gonna be two choices, and the winner will be chosen arbitrarily by an independent jury Simon and me.

Either:
- Summarize the plot of the game(s) in a way that does not make it sound stupid

Or (and this is what I like to call the Dash Rendar bar story)
- Summarize your own plot that fits the game(s)
Go as deep into EU stuff as you like, make up your own characters, anything goes!

No deadline as of now, because there's still plenty of content to come for this thread!

Edit: To give you an idea for the second choice:

Trizophenie fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Trizophenie posted:

Or (and this is what I like to call the Dash Rendar bar story)
- Summarize your own plot that fits the game(s)
Go as deep into EU stuff as you like, make up your own characters, anything goes!

Edit: To give you an idea for the second choice:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
A man unexpectedly awakens from a coma and is forced to confront the realities of a world that has changed dramatically while he was unconscious, and struggles to reconnect with the lover, friends, and father figure who had all moved on with their lives after he "died" on them. Much heartache and soul searching ensue.

Can I get a game that doesn't suck instead if I win, please? The last time I did something like this, Artix dumped Final Fantasy XIII on me. :mad:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 2, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

nine-gear crow posted:

Can I get a game that doesn't suck instead if I win, please? The last time I did something like this, Artix dumped Final Fantasy XIII on me. :mad:

Star Wars Rogue Squadron

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Actually, I have Rogue Squadron and have threatened crow with it already.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

Actually, I have Rogue Squadron and have threatened crow with it already.

You can't threaten someone with an actually good game though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Trizophenie posted:

You can't threaten someone with an actually good game though.

You can. You just need to be more creative about it.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

One man tries to get his life back after being held prisoner for years. He knows he's being used as a pawn, he's just looking for the right time to turn the tables. Also he is a moron.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
A man is faced with the fact that he has the face and worse the memories of a dead man. He soon realizes that his mentor, the only man he has ever known is using him as surrogate for the dead man and to further the cold vengeance of the mentor. In a flash of panic and rage, the man escapes his mentors clutchs in hopes of finding the people in "his" memories.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
Driven insane from the memories of a dead man, the protagonist is compelled to see through what that man's memories tell him about - a rebellion against an unjust Emperor, a relationship cut tragically short. His mental instability is only worsened by his great control of 'The Force', a metaphysical power that runs through all things in the galaxy that renders him unable to exercise sound logic. The protagonist's creator wastes millions upon millions of credits out of that corrupt Empire to continue creating apprentices in the hopes one will not be weighed down by the insanity plaguing the protagonist.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
A man with a terrible obsession has to struggle with an identity crisis and the expectations put upon him due to his unparalleled skills. He channels his sickness in order to accomplish goals that are much larger than himself and maybe, heal his heart.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AdventFalls posted:

Driven insane from the memories of a dead man, the protagonist is compelled to see through what that man's memories tell him about - a rebellion against an unjust Emperor, a relationship cut tragically short. His mental instability is only worsened by his great control of 'The Force', a metaphysical power that runs through all things in the galaxy that renders him unable to exercise sound logic. The protagonist's creator wastes millions upon millions of credits out of that corrupt Empire to continue creating apprentices in the hopes one will not be weighed down by the insanity plaguing the protagonist.

This one sounds like the setup to a pretty cool Brandon Sanderson-style fantasy novel. Especially if the story started right there and we didn't have the first story there to contextualize the current one, so it plays out like a mystery story.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Main game recordings are done, you can expect the next video sometime this week, and it will be awesome awful. I can't remember why I thought this game was good.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Trizophenie posted:

Main game recordings are done, you can expect the next video sometime this week, and it will be awesome awful. I can't remember why I thought this game was good.

Hindsight is 20/20 and hits you with the force of a thrown Jawa.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Trizophenie posted:

Every LPer has their moment of doubt.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Let's Harness Our Boredom in The Force Unleashed 2

If you want to hear Simon complain about everything during the ending cutscenes, I really suggest you watch the uncut version this time.

Database entries

Unlocks

As I said in the video, both of these costumes are unlocked by having a Force Unleashed 1 savegame. The way it should have worked is that you unlock the Sith costume for a finished dark side playthrough, and the Jedi costume for a finished light side playthrough, but from my experience with the PC version, that part is broken.

Uncut version

Next time on Force Unleashed II

No, we are not done with this. Not for a long time.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

With that, we are done with the main game.
Thanks again to everyone willing enough to guest in the videos, and especially to Simply Simon for suffering through the whole game.

Next video will be the Endor DLC, thanks to kalonZombie actually paying money to get and record it, and after that there's still the challenges in the main game left.
After that we will dive into the mess that is the Wii version of Force Unleashed 2.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

a pretty cool Brandon Sanderson-style novel
Pick two.

Anyway, the only way to make this thing make sense is to go beyond. A long time ago in a galaxy far far away, a development team was ordered to carry out a sequel to a mildly popular game in a best-selling, yet thoroughly milked franchise. A big selling point of that game was it being canon to franchise, which mean one directive: absolutely nothing was to happen in the game. At all. The first one somehow managed to con the player into believing it had a plot; and what is a sequel's purpose but to expanding the themes of the original?
True to their purpose, the conning has begun. The game pretends to run well*, pretends to have relevance by dropping even more movie characters for no reason, pretends to have more combat options and, most importantly, pretends to have a plot. It worked once already, right?

*Seriously.

Wikipedia posted:

Dmitry Andreev devised a framing system that gave the illusion of operating at 60 frames per second (FPS), despite running at 30FPS.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So like... the difference between the light side ending and the dark side ending is that EVIL Starkiller and CO. watch Vader get taken prisoner? It's made worse by the fact that it's supposed to be raining, and that would make you super obvious to see with your psychic mind powers that sense when other jedis are nearby.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So like... the difference between the light side ending and the dark side ending is that EVIL Starkiller and CO. watch Vader get taken prisoner? It's made worse by the fact that it's supposed to be raining, and that would make you super obvious to see with your psychic mind powers that sense when other jedis are nearby.

No, no, in the light side ending evil Starkiller and company DON'T EXIST! Welcome to the plot of Force Unleashed 2.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Trizophenie posted:

No, no, in the light side ending evil Starkiller and company DON'T EXIST! Welcome to the plot of Force Unleashed 2.

I prefer to think that Starkiller and CO. DO exist and are so tired of Vader and everyone else being giant idiots that they just shove off to the nearest cantina and drink heavily... for several years.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
And Dash Rendar is sitting next to them. All extended universe fiction will exist if we just believe :unsmith:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Blind Sally posted:

And Dash Rendar is sitting next to them. All extended universe fiction will exist if we just believe :unsmith:

:golfclap: I'm clapping my hands and doing my part to believe in them, are you?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah... Dash has really kind of fallen on hard times ever since Disney spiked the EU.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah... Dash has really kind of fallen on hard times ever since Disney spiked the EU.

They've got a tie-in movie that's going to be between 7 and 8 that features Dash Rendar. The big bad is rumoured to be Thrawn.

How do I know this? My great uncle's niece's nephew's brother's second sister twice removed's dad works for Disney.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy
I asked this in the EU thread but I was wondering if anyone here had heard how they were going to resolve the lightside ending? Obviously Vader escapes and at some point before A New Hope Starkiller and Kota die.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

KurdtLives posted:

I asked this in the EU thread but I was wondering if anyone here had heard how they were going to resolve the lightside ending? Obviously Vader escapes and at some point before A New Hope Starkiller and Kota die.

According to the wiki. Kota goes off to find a padawan of his in a DS/PSP exclusive game that happens at the same time as a new hope. and they're present when the death star is destroyed before disappearing forever. Vader escapes ~somehow~. and Starkiller is in hiding because Juno and Kota are afraid of "what the alliance will think of him".

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Kurieg posted:

According to the wiki. Kota goes off to find a padawan of his in a DS/PSP exclusive game that happens at the same time as a new hope. and they're present when the death star is destroyed before disappearing forever. Vader escapes ~somehow~. and Starkiller is in hiding because Juno and Kota are afraid of "what the alliance will think of him".

God that's awful. I knew about the PSP game but I guess I was ignoring it in my head canon because are we taking handheld games seriously? Whatever I make up in my WEG Star Wars campaign will be better.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

KurdtLives posted:

are we taking handheld games seriously?
You better be! I had Episode I on Game Boy Color and boy was it a serious piece of absurd garbage!

EDIT: This, to be precise.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 16, 2015

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

"Come For Sam Witwer, Stay For The... Dammit - Let's Play The Force Unleashed II"

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This game basically exists solely to justify the amazing DLC.

Polsy

This isn't even really worth the effort for a proper post I think.

Thanks again to kalonZombie for actually buying the DLC just so it could be featured in the LP.

The remaining bonus content for the thread (the challenges, remaining unlockable costumes, the whole Wii version) will probably happen during short-notice streams that I'll properly put onto the internet to post in here during the next weeks months years at my current update speed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Check this jetpack trooper:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
That Jetpack Trooper is truly a hero of our age.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
TIE Fighter pilots don't die, they just get handed progressively shittier equipment.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Thank you for your sacrifice kalonZombie. :zpatriot:
I have to say, though, that I don't get what's wrong with the layout of the shield generator: in the movie the small room looked like a secondary monitoring station and one could see the massive generator behind it. Han even throws a stormtrooper over a railing into said massive generator room by hitting him with a crate full of explosives.
While the room in the initial fight looks bigger, it still seems to follow the layout seen in the movie somewhat.

Oh and yeah, Dash Rendar would've totally chumped clone-boy.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 18, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Trizophenie posted:

Let's Harness Our Boredom in The Force Unleashed 2

So basically you wanted the final fight to be a little more like this?

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Glazius posted:

So basically you wanted the final fight to be a little more like this?

If Vader was more active, had less 100% blocking time, and maybe less health (although his health would be less of an issue if you could attack him more), I'd not hate the fight as much. As it is, it's just a far too long slog against a bunch of clones with the occasional platform jumping.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

First stream is gonna start in about 15ish minutes at http://www.hitbox.tv/trizophenie and contain at least the challenges and costumes, so I can finish up the PC game with it.

Done with this, thanks for everyone that joined. Once I get rid of the technical problems (hooray for bad audio balancing!) there'll be more.

Trizophenie fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 11, 2015

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Boredom leads to apathy. Apathy leads to... whatever! Let's... Star Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quuiTaT2TZ4

Hooray for technical problems during recorded streams that you don't notice until you're finished. You probably can't understand a single word I'm saying the entire time, but who cares when kalonZombie and Simply Simon manage to talk about basically everything anyway!
With this, we finish all the content for the PC version, and I'm still intending to go through the Wii version.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, if it's anything like the Wii version of the first game, you're in for a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Well, if it's anything like the Wii version of the first game, you're in for a ride.
Trizophenie streamed a bit of it after finishing streaming the video above and it actually looked like a fun game. :psyduck:

• Locked thread