Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Journal of Emperor Neophytos the First

The Emperor is dead. Long live the Emperor. I now rule over the largest empire in the known world, and I must say I am looking forward to exploiting it for all it's worth.

Still, the laws stand, and some must be honored before I can fully enjoy myself. First and foremost, a province must be renamed to honor the past ruler.

after throwing a dart careful consideration I have selected a province along the edges of our empire, to commemerate all he did to expand it

Secondly come a review of all our laws. Most everything is in order, but there are two tasks that must still be completed. The destruction of the Byzantines and the Lyddids. As it stands, we have a truce with the Lyddids for a number of years to come. The Byzantines, on the other hand, have no such guarantees, and all that remains of their once-great empire is a small rump state in southern Italy. With scarcely 15,000 men at their disposal, they are ripe for destruction.

Still, I call up more troops to safe. it would not do for us to be humiliated by a nation less than a tenth of our size. I issue an order for the construction of 2 new armies, each to number no less than ten thousand men. Following the laws, both of these armies shall stand at 80% cavalry.

This... balance of infantry to cavalry leaves us somewhat vulnerable on the defense, so i order some modest construction and improvement of our defenses along our European border as well.

27 September 1490

It would appear that our recent build up of our forces has strained our ability to supply the troops. nevertheless, my advisers assure me that this will not effect the schedule of the units we've called up beforehand.

23 October 1490
the new regiments have been raised and are assembling in our interior. One army will be shipped to Italy and another will be sent to reinforce our border with Poland.

9 June, 1491
As we continue to muster, I take a quick look at the diplomatic situation. Byzantium is isolated, politically speaking. They have been making overtures to the Knights of Calatrava, but the only 'ally' they can count on in the event of a war with us is Poland. Neither are a match for us, strictly speaking, though the Poles might be able to overwhelm our smaller border units if they concentrate. The Knights could threaten our holdings in Hispania, so I order the garrison there to be greatly expanded.

I also send our agents to stir up rebels in Poland. Hopefully we can keep them busy long enough for us to settle affairs with Byzantium.

23 November 1491

A tiny Iberian nation declares war on the Lyddids, dragging much of the peninsula in with them. We wish them the best of luck and send the a gift basket

29 September 1492
Our fortification expansions are almost complete. Battlefleet Arabia also badgers me to give them a proper flagship. The cost is modest, and construction is completed with minimal fuss and great pomp and circumstance.

1 February 1493
Some would say I have a tendency to go overboard. Others claim I need to understand concepts like "Appropriate Force" and "Overkill is Bad".

I say the laws are clear regarding further involvement in Europe, and I have heard rumors from the East that distant China has defensive works grander than anything we have created.

Hence, the Great Wall of Judea

The full length need not be manned at all times. As it stands, we only need to worry about the Polish front. We do not have quite the manpower to hold the whole length, so I recall our southern army from the Lyddid front to man the gap and complete the defenses. Now, all we need to worry about is Byzantium itself.

21 September 1493
Preparations have been completed. We shall commence the war tomorrow. As it stands there are roughly three fronts we need concern ourselves with.

The first is the Byzantine front. Our forces in the theatres are overwhelming and should do well on the offensive. they need only destroy the Byzantine army and take as much land as they can.

The second is the Iberian front. Consisting of one province under strict orders to not die if the Knights of Calatrava get involved.

and Finally is the Polish front, manning the Great Wall. This front will not, initially, be an offensive one. Their focus is simply to keep Poland from interfering. Offensive operations in the region will be handled by our vassals.

I will personally be commanding forces down in Italy, enjoying the sun and decadence of the Mediterranean until the end of this short war. Then I can get to abusing my privileges properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

A White Guy posted:

Let's update this list for EUIV, since some of these aren't relevant anymore

What vile heresy is this?! Taking laws off the list? This madness will not stand! The laws are sacrosanct, and the older ones will always take precedent over newer ones, including attempts to revise them out of the statute books.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

every time I see that salient of Lithuania, I get rationally mad.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Be careful warhammer, the Polish have a very large military contingent (last time I checked). I wholeheartedly approve of the Great Wall of Judea, though-wish I had thought of that!

Aside from that, enjoy your Italian vacation.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

What vile heresy is this?! Taking laws off the list? This madness will not stand! The laws are sacrosanct, and the older ones will always take precedent over newer ones, including attempts to revise them out of the statute books.

who knows what might happen to the laws of the bulunids if their tyranny were to fall to revolution

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Rodyle posted:

who knows what might happen to the laws of the bulunids if their tyranny were to fall to revolution

Khans, Khagans, kings, Emperors and Basileuses come and go, Presidents, chairmen and dictators much the same, but the laws are eternal. :colbert:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

AJ_Impy posted:

That's not true, like the constitutional amendments of the US the laws are permanent, but a law can eliminate another law permanently. :eng101:

But who the hell is going to waste their chance to screw future players over to eliminate something that already screwed them over?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Today I learned polish stacks are capable of taking well over three times their number of our troops.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

I tried to warn you.

Is Poland on the IDE list now if nothing else?

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 9, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

That's not true, like the constitutional amendments of the US the laws are permanent, but a law can eliminate another law permanently. :eng101:

But who the hell is going to waste their chance to screw future players over to eliminate something that already screwed them over?

Sorry, laws of Medes and Persians. In a conflict, the older law holds sway at all times!

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Dr. Snark posted:

I tried to warn you.

Is Poland on the IDE list now if nothing else?

War still resolved favorably and they took no territory. They are not on the IDE

Also, goddamn we need guns as soon as possible.

And a new navy.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Can I be added to the list please

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

War is formally declared and our troops in Italy march on the Byzantine remnant.
The sistuation in Iberia never changes, and it is doubtful the troop there even realize we are now at war

Shortly thereafter, Poland blockades a port waaaaaay the hell up in the north, in a province no one cares about.

Initial fears of a landing force circumventing the wall proved unfounded, nevertheless the fear drove up recruitment across the empire.

In April, the poles make their first big push across the wall.

Though our forces are driven off, the poles suffer such heavy casualties that they are unable to properly exploit the gap. The province of Belz is occupied, but their main army withdraws soon after to rest and recuperate at home.

Meanwhile, the war for Italy continues at a pleasant, leisurely pace. This is rudely interrupted in June, where a combined Byzantine/Polish fleet engages our own fleet in the Mediterranean. Our fleet is lost, but not before our main army makes it into Sicily.

The fortress in Messina blocks our progress for a good year before falling.

By October of 1494, it has become apparent that the financial situation was not performing quite as well as could be hoped. We pass some much needed reforms and flex our administrative muscle to keep the realm stable as the war drags on.

That December, Poland tries for another push across the wall, this time to the south. Our armies in the area march to meet them. The fighting drags on for almost two months as both sides pour men into the province. Our general is killed in the fighting, but the end result is a devastating victory

Polish forces withdraw, and Judean forces capitalize on the retreat and begin occupying Polish border provinces. Unable to respond with enough force, the Poles attempt to widen the breakthrough in the East. Their forces in the area are shortly overwhelmed and the captured provinces are liberated one by one

A year later, the Byzantine army is annihilated. Peace is offered to them shortly thereafter, and with the war in the north stalling on both sides the Byzantine 'Emperor' accepts a peace involving the ceding of territory, and payment of war reparations. Protests are raised over the sending of a peace treaty, as Polish forces are still existent, but since the war was declared on accursed Byzantium, long-standing members of the Insertname Delanda Est list, I can only classify the Byzantines as truly being our enemy. The Poles were simply an opposing force. The peace is concluded favorably, though not as favorably as I would have preferred. Still, the climate in the Mediterranean is quite pleasant.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Can I be added to the list please

These days it's first come first serve and since you haven't had a turn yet there should be nothing stopping you once this run is over.

Speaking of which, I'm proud of warhammer for managing to deal with loving Poland and still getting more land out of the Byzantines. It's probably worth noting that those bastards are the loving Defender of the Faith, which is a massive pain to deal with. Hopefully that won't be as much of an issue when the Reformation hits.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The 80% cavalry requirement is going to make for pure comedy once we get to late game EUIV or god forbid, Vicky 2.

I haven't eliminated any laws from the list, only filtered out the laws that aren't really relevant. In a technical sense, they're still in force, just not enforced.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

A White Guy posted:

The 80% cavalry requirement is going to make for pure comedy once we get to late game EUIV or god forbid, Vicky 2.

I haven't eliminated any laws from the list, only filtered out the laws that aren't really relevant. In a technical sense, they're still in force, just not enforced.

All laws must be enforced! also you eliminated some that still apply.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

A White Guy posted:

You people do remember the "Mounted Units" from the tail end of the CKII playthrough, right?

All of the Judean military is made up of Mounted Units.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Dr. Snark posted:

You people do remember the "Mounted Units" from the tail end of the CKII playthrough, right?

All of the Judean military is made up of Mounted Units.

HaShem bless Basileus Sergios and the pronouncements made at the beginning of his reign.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Awww, but massive casualties against machine gun nests are fun! We shall bury their bunkers in horse flesh till they asphyxiate!
At least if someone will do RP updates for Hearts of Iron...

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
When we're this large of an empire I think we can afford to have a bunch of ceremonial horse units parading around the capital while the actual combat units have a more sensible composition.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Artillery is horse-drawn. Assume at least a team of 4 horses to pull, and that helps bring up your ratio anyways.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Mountaineer posted:

When we're this large of an empire I think we can afford to have a bunch of ceremonial horse units parading around the capital while the actual combat units have a more sensible composition.

True, nobody said that combat units as had to be composed of 80% horses, only the military as a whole.

But I feel like rules-lawyering is kind of dumb and isn't really in the spirit of the LP. Creative interpretation, however, most definitely is.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Rules lawyering is acceptable if the whole edifice is on the verge of premature collapse, but by Vicky 2 we'll be in the endgame of the overall project anyway so there'd be no need to worry about it, we could just throw wave after wave of equine might at things

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I won't be happy unless we find a way to strap rafts, planes, rockets and nukes to horses. Not that I want this to turn into Equestria. (But that may be one Jewish future for 80% of the population.)

Somehow I find the idea of galleons using some sort of windmill-esque horsedrawn power more appealing than various weaponized bioforms using horse DNA.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 10, 2016

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Tunicate posted:

Sorry, laws of Medes and Persians. In a conflict, the older law holds sway at all times!

Well then, guess I need to start drafting up my next law. :unsmigghh:

Dr. Snark posted:

These days it's first come first serve and since you haven't had a turn yet there should be nothing stopping you once this run is over.

Except the fact that it's first come first serve. :p

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
no update today, due to finals week.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

warhammer651 posted:

no update today, due to finals week.

Please make your law in the form of an essay no shorter than 4,000 words and have it done by the end of class thanks.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

A White Guy posted:

Rules-lawyering is kind of dumb and isn't really in the spirit of the LP.

We're playing Jews, of course rules lawyering is in the spirit of the LP. :haw:

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Please make your law in the form of an essay no shorter than 4,000 words and have it done by the end of class thanks.

CONGRATULATIONS! you have received an army named after you that will be sent into the polish meatgrinder at the first opportunity.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

TinTower posted:

We're playing Jews, of course rules lawyering is in the spirit of the LP. :haw:

And for that matter, arguing about said rules lawyering is also very Jewish. We've got all of our bases covered!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mountaineer posted:

Dragoons would do for some considerable time.

If you really want to rules lawyer, though, you can say that the intent of the law is that the bulk of the army should always be cavalry. That would allow mechanisation of the army.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I just want daily horse parades in Jerusalem, okay?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So how many horsepower does a tank have, anyway?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tunicate posted:

So how many horsepower does a tank have, anyway?

Screw that, helicopters are Air Cavalry.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Battlecruisers?

80% of our fleets must be battlecruisers, before allowing transport ships.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
The peace begins poorly as a plague spreads through our lands. It takes several years, but it eventually burns itself out

Come 1499, it becomes increasingly clear that managing our Italian provinces is simply to taxing for the central administration. The Italian territories are thus reorganized under a new name, chosen to especially irritate our Oldest surviving enemy

The bulk of the peace is spent trying to play catch-up to the Polish military, both in technology and in organization.

By 1501, the first functional Israeli cannons are successfully tested, by the end of the next three years, every Army is equipped with at least 1000 guns, in a move that would prove ruinous to the state's treasury

The treasury is not helped by repeated uprisings during this period, though they at least allow for field tests of our new weapons

Attempts are made to make the bureaucratic system more efficient, in order to collect more taxes, and much is done to encourage Israeli merchants to bring in more tariffs, but measures prove insufficient and the treasury remains well below critical levels. It is fortunate most of our enemies do not grasp how seriously we take our laws, as they could force us into an instant surrender if they attacked

In 1509, Israel finally reaches military parity with Poland in terms of technology and organization while also holding superior numbers. The treasury remains severely depleted, however, and a sort of cold war ensues, with both sides staring each other down across the wall

Warhawks in court argue aggressively for war against Poland, and in the face of repeated references to the gently caress Europe law, a small faction manages to forge documents allegedly proving that Poland had taken territory from us in the past. The legitimacy of this evidence is hotly debated, and it remains to be seen whether or not the empire will act on it

Does... does this put them on the IDE list? I don't think we ever owned that territory, and it specifies that the nations we IDE mus have TAKEN our territory, but as far as the game is concerned, that's our poo poo.

Consider the Polish Question as up for a popular vote. Who want a meatgrinder?

For the moment, we have decided not to press the matter, and instead work to institute further reforms and encourage further economic development.

Come 1513, Our military methods actually surpass those of Poland, and further reforms and training with artillery are implemented. We also systemize and expand our polocies of patronage and noble education, givng us even better leaders. If war with Poland does come, it is likely to go better than the last.

So, Noblemen of the Empire. Do we or do we not pursue a war with Poland and place them on the IDE list, to be exterminated for taking our rightful lands, or do we avoid antagonizing our only real military rival and avoid sending an entire generation into the meatgrinder?

warhammer651 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 12, 2016

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
We never had said province, and we're supposed to ignore Europe unless they are on the List, so I say ignore Poland until they actually take one of our provinces.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

We never had said province, and we're supposed to ignore Europe unless they are on the List, so I say ignore Poland until they actually take one of our provinces.

Foment a war and then deliberately let them take one of our provinces.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The claim is an attempt by greedy Hawks to subvert gently caress Europe and abuse IDE for their own gain. Such filth is beneath us, we'll have none of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Great update!

My opinions, personally:

Ignore Poland (only cores count, as otherwise we could just fabricate) exterminate Byzantium as it won't cost admin points now, then seize Arabia (which is half Egyptian really), pushing the Lyddids out of Asia. Eventually work our way west, slowly wrapping around the southern Mediterranean.

Also annex Yarkand, as it's the only surviving Sunni nation in central Asia, and convert the hell out of their religion (and their culture if you want to make uncle happy). Dump Gujarat as a protectorate for being Islamic then annex them and convert them to Judaism. At this point our only direct eastern neighbors will be familiar steppe Tengriism, which we never hated a lot, and Indian pagans and Jainism ans Confucianism and skme rabble further off which should be acceptable.

... I was also hoping that when we find out about th Malays we could eventually send an expedition there in an attempt to finish off Sunni islam in Asia for good, which should only leave a few scattered holdouts in central Africa.

Did Perm go Nestorian? There should be a 15% chance or so that happens.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 12, 2016

• Locked thread