Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

CapnAndy posted:

Right now my best plan is to form up the troops, get 'em on a boat, and then see if I can sack Constantinople while the Byzantines are sieging my poo poo.

The problem with this is that they're gonna siege way, way faster than I can.

If you're lucky they'll break it off to give chase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheMcD posted:

Wait, how the gently caress did that gal get a baby? If my numbers are correct, she had negative fertility! Could that possibly have come from some lover event that ignores that kind of thing?

Isn't fertility cumulative between both partners? If her husband is bringing the Dick of Steel to the siege then those walls are coming down, Chaste Homosexual or not.

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
Also of note is that her husband appears to be blinded in the character portrait. Blinding is usually also castration in Byzantine circles no? Then maybe someone else fathered the slow Byzantine heir.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Ubern00b posted:

Also of note is that her husband appears to be blinded in the character portrait. Blinding is usually also castration in Byzantine circles no? Then maybe someone else fathered the slow Byzantine heir.

Usually an either/or. Generally they get released after this.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

CapnAndy posted:

I will give you fools an Empire.

Not quite going as planned is it, Andy? :v:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

Not quite going as planned is it, Andy? :v:

What he didn't mention is that he would give us the Byzantine Empire.

Or possibly give us to the Byzantine Empire.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ulmont posted:

What he didn't mention is that he would give us the Byzantine Empire.

What crown laws are they under? Can we swear fealty, and then agitate for Feudal Elective?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

SeaTard posted:

What crown laws are they under? Can we swear fealty, and then agitate for Feudal Elective?

Kings will never accept an offer of vassalization by an Emperor, and as such, the player is also not allowed to request vassalization from an Emperor if they're a King.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

At the rate we are going, we are gonna get eaten by the Seljuks before we get an empire. Honestly, we should be looking to unite the steppes before we look towards the plains of Hungary and Bulgaria. Each county isnt all that great until we get to Turkistan and the Rus, but more holdings means more retinues. And our Retinues are god drat scary.

But that's thinking in terms of winning, not of story. :v:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

At the rate we are going, we are gonna get eaten by the Seljuks before we get an empire. Honestly, we should be looking to unite the steppes before we look towards the plains of Hungary and Bulgaria. Each county isnt all that great until we get to Turkistan and the Rus, but more holdings means more retinues. And our Retinues are god drat scary.
The problem is that goddamn pagan attrition bonus; there's some easy one-county pagans on our western border, but they have a supply limit of 850, and we're currently ahead of the Military Organization curve, so MilOrg4 has a huge 45% tech point penalty added to it. That's why I went for Cavalry instead.

Subjugating the pagans is a job for the future.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Losing is okay. If we lose, then we either start over, or we pick a different nation to play as.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We could always start as the Jewish duke in the 1066 starts.

Or the new Jewish count in Abyssinia if we want a real challenge.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Even in the worst case scenario, they can only take us one duchy at a time, 10 years apart. We're not facing a game over here yet, guys. Just a humiliating drubbing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

CapnAndy posted:

Even in the worst case scenario, they can only take us one duchy at a time, 10 years apart. We're not facing a game over here yet, guys. Just a humiliating drubbing.

They're after the other Georgian duchy, aren't they?

Maybe after we fully withdraw from the Caucasus, the Romans will leave us alone and we can go beat up some Zoroastrians or something.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

First Rincewind got a game over in his thread, now we're getting squeezed. Looks like CK2 has been playing a little rougher lately.

Or you guys are just bad.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Duckbag posted:

First Rincewind got a game over in his thread, now we're getting squeezed. Looks like CK2 has been playing a little rougher lately.

Or you guys are just bad.

I fought them to a draw first time around. :colbert:

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Not even that, I don't have a doubt you can hold off the Hungarians or Bulgarians. As long as we keep buddying up with the Romans, we shouldn't have any problem from that. So any defensive wars just means more cash to dump into our holdings.

But on the topic of pagans, I thought the Tengri counties didn't have the supply penalty which would mean we could beat up Cumania, Yagibud and the rest of the Khans over eastward before we start chewing on the Baltic pagans.

EDIT: Firing up the game, and yep, the lowest supply I could find was a Turkistan province with only 4.2k supply.

The Mighty Biscuit fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 22, 2014

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

TheMcD posted:

Kings will never accept an offer of vassalization by an Emperor, and as such, the player is also not allowed to request vassalization from an Emperor if they're a King.

You can if they're your primary title's de jure liege, unless it's a recent change. I've joined Byzantium as Hungary before by making the Kingdom of Serbia my primary (despite not owning Serbia, because I gave it to the pope).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Why did I sign up for this :cripes:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

CapnAndy posted:

To give us an Empire.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

AJ_Impy posted:

To give us an Empire.
I'm so sorry :(

Like, no matter how badly you think things might have gone tonight? They were worse than that.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Well I've survived in this region to the end-date with just the de jure Alania, Crimea and the duchy of Derbent so I'm pretty sure we can survive the Seljuks and Mongols :v:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

CapnAndy posted:

I'm so sorry :(

Like, no matter how badly you think things might have gone tonight? They were worse than that.

Dogpile wars from the Byzantines, Sunni, Tengri, Suomensko, Bulgarians, Hungarians and slavs, concurrent with a major independence revolt and at least three religious revolts, with your retinue wiped out to a man and your reserves drained, with your finances so far in the negatives that a smuggler's ring forms in your privy council.

Edit: and the Seljuks show up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

AJ_Impy posted:

Dogpile wars from the Byzantines, Sunni, Tengri, Suomensko, Bulgarians, Hungarians and slavs, concurrent with a major independence revolt and at least three religious revolts, with your retinue wiped out to a man and your reserves drained, with your finances so far in the negatives that a smuggler's ring forms in your privy council.

Edit: and the Seljuks show up.
Okay, thank you for properly setting the bar. It's not that bad.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, thank you for properly setting the bar. It's not that bad.

Everything but the Seljuks, because it's too early for them still?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

SeaTard posted:

Everything but the Seljuks, because it's too early for them still?
Spoilers for tomorrow or Thursday's update, if you really want to know:

The Byzantines split their forces, half to siege and half to chase my army -- which actually gives me a chance; I outnumber them 10,000 to 9,300. They massacre me. I lose the war. My brother is planning an invasion and I can't stop him. And literally three days after I surrender to the Byzantines, Cumania declares war.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Her husband doesn't have to have positive modifiers. Her -70% fertility does put them at 30% before any modifiers on her husband's part, but it's still quite doable to have a single heir where someone else would have 3-4.

Amnistar posted:

This game is 0 mods, only all the DLC.

Oh ok, thanks. :) Could I be added in after Lord of Hats? Technically my application was before his, but I don't mind as long as I'm ahead of the reiteration.

Khan Yerlesnu/CapnAndy: Might want to hit easier (non-Catholic) targets on the steppe whenever we have a truce with the Rhomaoi. If we can take up all non-Catholic land in Eastern Europe over the next few generations then we can handle the Byzantines. I know some gamey strategies myself, but if I don't use them I end up trading land and retreating from the Romans until they have a big civil war.
Just take your time with the sieges or charge.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 23, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Readingaccount posted:

Her husband doesn't have to have positive modifiers. Her -70% fertility does put them at 30% before any modifiers on her husband's part, but it's still quite doable to have a single heir where someone else would have 3-4.

Oh ok, thanks. :) Could I be added in after Lord of Hats? Technically my application was before his, but I don't mind as long as I'm ahead of the reiteration.

Khan Yerlesnu/CapnAndy: Might want to hit easier (non-Catholic) targets on the steppe whenever we have a truce with the Rhomaoi. If we can take up all non-Catholic land in Eastern Europe over the next few generations then we can handle the Byzantines.

The non-catholic targets just declared war on us, otherwise a good idea.

CapnAndy posted:

My brother is planning an invasion and I can't stop him.

Have you tried giving him a barony, say that old border fort gavelkind shunted us off to?

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 23, 2014

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
AS the creator of the thread, I'm gonna go ahead and declare what will happen if we game over:

-If the kingdom still exists, we will take over as the new claiment to the title. Our laws will still be in effect.

-If the kingdom is destroyed, I will take the save file, and select a ruler which seems to one that would be fun to play; mod shift the ruler and his descendents/wife to Judaism and we will continue play with the laws in effect.

This means if you think you're in a position where you're likely to game over, for whatever reason, save frequently.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

AJ_Impy posted:

Have you tried giving him a barony, say that old border fort gavelkind shunted us off to?
Will that work? I suppose it's worth a try.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CapnAndy posted:

Why am I next? :cripes:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Khan Yerlesnu, Part IV: Nothing good (951-952)

So the good news is, between my levies and my retinues, I’ve got over 11,000 men. That’s sizable. The bad news is, the Byzantines have twice those numbers.

My plan to load my troops onto ships and harass the Byzantines by making unpredictable strikes across the coastline of the sea we share hits a rather early snag -- I don’t have enough ships to do it. It’s certainly understandable that building a navy has been nobody’s priority, since we don’t actually have access to any oceans, but in this case it hamstrings me right out the gate.

I’m adding Hungary to the Enemies List as of now. They must be destroyed.

Betrayal, at this dark hour! Vile betrayal! My trusted brother, who I have named my Chancellor, is plotting to usurp my throne!

I do not wish this, brother. Why did you raise your hand against me?

I don’t remember who this is, but he’s got gold. I quite desperately need gold.

This incursion is the first hostile act of the war. As you can see, I am not yet done gathering my troops. However, either of the two largest groups should be large enough to handle this insult.

If the Byzantines stay this disorganized, I may be able to pick them off piecemeal. It’s nice to have something to hope for.

“Oh, dear Brother? I have a mission for you of utmost importance. Take this elite force I have assembled for you and drive the Byzantines out of our country!

Hmm? No, I’m sure, they’re quite elite. Yes, I have every faith in your victory. My generals tell me it will be assured if you ride directly in the center, at the vanguard.”

A victory, but a troublesome one. With over twice their numbers, that should have been a slaughter, not a close-won slog. I had more men and better generals, but the Byzantine troops seem to inherently outclass ours.

That’s more like it, at least.

Not a scratch on him, somehow. drat.

The plot to kill him has stalled out at 93%, even with all my vassals currently having a perfect opinion of me due to the foreign invasion. Yecitrek is simply popular, and apparently “he’s gathering men to violently overthrow me” isn’t a good reason to throw him in jail. I’ll still do it if I have to -- I’d rather be a tyrant than a pauper -- but I really don’t want to.

The accursed Byzantines have split their forces, sending these 9300 men off specifically to chase down my armies, while leaving another 8000 behind to besiege my holdings. It is impeccable strategy.

It also gives me an edge I did not have before.

I have more men. I appoint the greatest generals in the land to lead my army and wait -- they’re going to chase me down? No, I am going to offer them battle. If I can win this fight, I can win the war.

...but... I had more men.

i had more men

Next time: What do you think happens next time

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
You had more men. They had bonuses from one of the strongest capital provinces in the world, technology far in advance of our own, and not dissimilar numbers. There are reasons why I didn't engage them in direct battle in either war.

At least the Cumans should be easier. They don't have a tech edge, if you have time to rebuild your forces before they cross the steppe, you should be able to fend them off or even manage a pre-emptive strike and siege in a province they're not in to distract them. Good luck.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The Cumans declared war on me literally 23 days after that disasterous loss and my surrender, I have about two thousand men left. Three, if I'm lucky. They have ten.

Also, that chasing force was faster than me, somehow. You saw them nabbing a group of 500 men before they could even join up with the main forces -- if I'd dodged them and gone to try to sack Constantinople as I'd originally planned, they would have followed, caught up, and smashed me against the walls. If I'd kept swinging through and hit the besieging forces, where I had an advantage of 2000 men, the chasing force would have been on my rear end before the battle was over and I would have gotten routed when the odds shifted to 17,000 vs 10,000. Offering planned battle with a numerical advantage, however slight, seemed the best option to me, and I really did think about it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

CapnAndy posted:

The Cumans declared war on me literally 23 days after that disasterous loss and my surrender, I have about two thousand men left. Three, if I'm lucky. They have ten.

Also, that chasing force was faster than me, somehow. You saw them nabbing a group of 500 men before they could even join up with the main forces -- if I'd dodged them and gone to try to sack Constantinople as I'd originally planned, they would have followed, caught up, and smashed me against the walls. If I'd kept swinging through and hit the besieging forces, where I had an advantage of 2000 men, the chasing force would have been on my rear end before the battle was over and I would have gotten routed when the odds shifted to 17,000 vs 10,000. Offering planned battle with a numerical advantage, however slight, seemed the best option to me, and I really did think about it.

The Cumans can take a long while to get going in force: It's harder to move across the broad steppes than the ancient roads of Anatolia and Greece. Time is your ally, and patience.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
For what it's worth, Crusader Kings is a lot more forgiving in battle numbers than actual warfare was. While 10,000 to 9,300 seems like an advantage on paper--and in CK2, usually is--traditional military doctrine indicates that you should have a 3-1 advantage before making an attack. So like, if this game were in real life, your move would have been less a calculated risk to dismantle a superior foe, and more "Suicidally insane".

Also, looking at the troop listings, you got slaughtered once you engaged their massively superior melee forces. While you have great skirmishers with your horse archers, they have a crazy advantage over you once the battle actually closes, on account of their huge number of Heavy Infantry, Pike, and Cavalry (which you have none of!). The bulk of our army seems to be made of Light Infantry and Light Cavalry, or "Chaff" as I like to call them. (Our light cavalry are no Spanish Caballeros and probably just dead weight to our Horse Archers)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AJ_Impy posted:

You had more men. They had bonuses from one of the strongest capital provinces in the world, technology far in advance of our own, and not dissimilar numbers. There are reasons why I didn't engage them in direct battle in either war.

And yet the same thing routinely happens to me in battles against Tengri uprisings. I've lost battles where I had better leaders, more troops, tech bonuses and terrain advantage - we're talking 40% casualties here. Something has broken in the most recent patch, I'm sure of it.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Some random seed got hosed, yeah. I had an army of 6k get beaten by a leaderless army of 1k on flat terrain just last week. It wasn't just a slow defeat where they out fought me or some poo poo, no, my army touched theirs and vaporised in a matter of days.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

So how's that empire you promised coming along :cawg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

We will have our empire. An empire of dirt and corpses. And possibly Andy's tears.

• Locked thread