Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CapnAndy posted:

We need to be careful though or our people will get stereotyped as money-greedy merchants :ohdear:

Better than money-greedy bloodthirsty conquerors.

"Join us or die!"

"How much will it cost us?"

"200 gold and conversion to Judaism. It's a snip at the price!"

(Sorry.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Of course Judaism has heresies - why else would they have to specify who is an Orthodox Jew? There's Gnostics, Sabbateans, Hasids and Jews For Jesus, to name but four. Christianity itself is a Jewish heretical movement, if you think about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Beamed posted:

The Gnostics are a Jewish heresy? I was always under the impression that its growth was very closely tied with that of the Neoplatonists and Christians.

There's a separate Jewish Gnostic heresy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

During the development of CK2: Hey guys what if we made a succession law that can completely ruin any progress you make...and then gave it to 90% of the playable countries?

*everyone in room nods like this is the greatest idea ever*

You realise it's historically accurate in a lot of cases, if not all?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Yeah, this is why you don't want to overdo it with challenge rules: this is a pretty precarious
start strategically. First of all, no allies, since allies have to be same religion.

Your neighbors to the South --- where you want to expand to get to Judaism's holy sites, to
strengthen religious authority --- include the Byzantines and the Caliphate, both of which have
an easy Holy War CB on you and are ultra-powerful.

I'm playing through this scenario by myself and have noted that you can get most of the way to where you want to go by conquering Georgia and Armenia. These countries start out as Miaphysite, so won't trigger any major religious wars. With a bit of effort you can get to the point where you can wait for the Byzantines to hit a big war or some turmoil and snip off a path to Galilee with a mercenary blitzkrieg.

My own Cohen Manasseh (he's like a Khan, but he brings wholesale destruction) started by crushing the Pechenegi before moving across the Dniepr and pushing as far as Kiev. Derbent had been captured without war by that point and Semender had gone Muslim, so I punted the Islamists out to take the Duchy and then took Abhkazia. This gave me enough to go straight for the kingdom, which I took. The next step was declaring a Holy War on Armenia in 904, but at that point Manasseh died. His son Satrac has so far completed the war against Armenia then simultaneously beat off a Tengriist uprising, a campaign to free Georgia and a Cumanian invasion (which earned him Paragon of Virtue within five years of taking the throne). I had gone for Agnatic Gavelkind succession rather than Elective Monarchy under Manasseh as he had only one son and one daughter and I thought I could get to Agnatic Primogeniture in two generations without losing any turf. Unfortunately he then had two more sons in his 40s, but I was able to switch the three other Kingdoms he held to Elective and get Khazaria's heir elected with the loss of only two Duchies and two counties (incidentally giving me a free capital switch to Kartli, which is higher tech than Itil). Once Satrac has it all together he'll go to High Crown Authority and switch all four kingdoms to Primogeniture.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Technowolf posted:

Your realize that Yerneslu is going to be called 'The Son of the Dragon', or, in Romanian, Dracula.

Oy vey ... have you got the wrong vampire!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Asking the Jews for cash should be in all the Abrahamic faiths. Especially in our case when we ourselves are Jews.

Quite the reverse, actually: it's strictly forbidden for Jews to loan money to other Jews. The moneylenders would have to give us the cash as a gift, with no expectation of return.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Wait, how the gently caress did that gal get a baby? If my numbers are correct, she had negative fertility! Could that possibly have come from some lover event that ignores that kind of thing?

Isn't fertility cumulative between both partners? If her husband is bringing the Dick of Steel to the siege then those walls are coming down, Chaste Homosexual or not.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

You had more men. They had bonuses from one of the strongest capital provinces in the world, technology far in advance of our own, and not dissimilar numbers. There are reasons why I didn't engage them in direct battle in either war.

And yet the same thing routinely happens to me in battles against Tengri uprisings. I've lost battles where I had better leaders, more troops, tech bonuses and terrain advantage - we're talking 40% casualties here. Something has broken in the most recent patch, I'm sure of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I don't know how good an heir your son would be. He seems a bit too in love with himself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Spoils of war. I’m keeping her; I have plans for the girl once she turns 6.

Yeah, Andy, thanks for the most creepy paragraph ever posted in this forum.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SeaTard posted:

I assume he's simply going to tutor her and try to force her to flip culture/religion because she will inherit a claim or something like that.

Oh, I'm quite aware of what he had planned. It's just the way he said it. It's the difference between "Would you like to go to the pet store and choose a dog?" and "Hello little girl, would you like to see some puppies?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Amnistar posted:

Rebels gain gold by sieging provinces. Letting them win a few before putting them away gives them a stack of cash when you banish them.

They also occasionally borrow money from the Jews.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Amnistar posted:

You have to make a law of some type, but the law could be RP, instead of about conquests or somethign like that.

The whole point of hte LP is the laws, so come up with something, and enjoy yourself :P

A Mark of Their Devotion: henceforth, no man shall be permitted to take up the saved game if he be not circumcised.

Now that's RP. :colbert:

(E: a reminder that I'm not playing and this is a joke. You can put down the scissors and stop crying.)

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 30, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Amnistar posted:

Best way to make jewish ally states is gonna be to find claiments, invite them to your court, convert them and then press their claims.

And then the loving Saffarids or Byzantines declare on you with 25000 men again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

The Saffarids are out of the game, the Seljuks anhiliate them.

I was talking generically. In my own game the Saffs stopped me creating Tartaria by sending a 25k doomstack to take the entire Duchy of Yaik in about 917AD. I have no idea how you're meant to get enough troops together to withstand that in only 50 years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

How the hell are you getting that much tech this early? Do you have an Uber-Rabbi or something?

On a sidebar to the empire-naming thing - comedy trivia time! In Life of Brian, what is the only Jewish freedom movement that doesn't have "Judea" or "Judean" in its name?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jolan posted:

Campaign for Free Galilee, you mean?

Give that man a duchy shiny nickel.

Amnistar: I wasn't talking about the accumulated tech level and I know about war. I just want to know how he's gaining 1.5-2 points per month in everything.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Oof - you had the chance to pick up Organiser and didn't take it? That trait is invaluable in a big empire because it makes chasing down rebellions so much easier.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Amnistar posted:

So the law to force us to give away some of the king titles might help with this, but we're nearing the point of blob-heaven, which can make the ga me less interesting to play and watch for everyone involved. I highly recommend people consider laws that cause us to fragment in some way in the future, as if we control all of europe then taking the game to EUIV isn't going to be as fun :). Of course, I'm just one person, and if people want to watch Zion rule the world, then go for it :).

Allow me to satiate everyone's lust for unbridled power:

You may now do as you please with the LP game. :)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Amnistar posted:

I imagine the time was how long it took for everyone to become jewish and the same culture.

Nah, not everyone is Jewish (just 75% of them) and I only took India in the last 50 years of the game. It was my first full WC; now I know how to shatter blobs I can shave several centuries off that without much effort.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Readingaccount posted:

What was your strategy for vassal relations?

The usual - give them everything that didn't cost me anything, stab anyone leading a faction over 90% strength. I did get an Independence revolt pop when my insanely good genius emperor died shortly after that picture was taken, but I was handling it readily with my retinue when the revolt leader died suddenly about six months in.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

McGavin posted:

It used to be that you had the same chance to win a tournament as everyone else with the same martial score, making winning unlikely, but possible. Currently the bug makes winning unlikely enough to be effectively impossible. It's still hypothetically possible for you to win the tournament, but in practice it will never happen.

I won a tournament in my current game and had someone else place second in a different tournament. The more important factor is size.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jenner posted:

:what: Noooo, you were supposed to die before that.

You were supposed to help!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Supeerme, did you not just break one of the Laws by letting a prisoner go?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

RZApublican posted:

Actually, given how far east the map goes now, where do the Mongols spawn, exactly? Was this changed in Rajas of India or is it still the same as earlier?

They spawn on the eastern edge of the map, north of the Tibetan plateau.

Catholicism at 0 MA, Judaism at 100 ... there shouldn't be an unclipped cock from Portugal to Siberia by the middle of this century.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

stevetheblack posted:

You're not wrong. I'm still hoping that, one day, Kale can have just one year without having to send soldiers to kill people. One year of total peace.

This is what happens when you name your kids after a cabbage.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

In the grim Jewishness of medieval eastern Europe, there is only war.

Meshuganammer 40K.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

biosterous posted:

Not that it matters now, but advice for the future (and for anyone else): Please crop your images to just show the relevant parts, instead of timg'ing lots of huge pictures. Clicking all the thumbnails is a pain and it's not always obvious what is important and it makes the page load slowly.

Also people using the phone app can't read what's going on.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

When we're this large of an empire I think we can afford to have a bunch of ceremonial horse units parading around the capital while the actual combat units have a more sensible composition.

Dragoons would do for some considerable time.

If you really want to rules lawyer, though, you can say that the intent of the law is that the bulk of the army should always be cavalry. That would allow mechanisation of the army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tunicate posted:

So how many horsepower does a tank have, anyway?

Screw that, helicopters are Air Cavalry.

• Locked thread