Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Yeah that was just a slightly more serious Star Driver. I can't believe they brought back libido.

I'm hoping they find some goofy way to set them in the sane universe. The enemy mechs even seem like they are piloted like cybodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Rodyle posted:

Yeah that was just a slightly more serious Star Driver. I can't believe they brought back libido.

Orgone energy is a thing from the 1930s, they literally thought orgasmic cosmic energies could be channeled.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak posted:

Orgone energy is a thing from the 1930s, they literally thought orgasmic cosmic energies could be channeled.

It's more amusing that they thought that was a real thing.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

It's more amusing that they thought that was a real thing.

Quite a lot of people bought into it. Famous people like William S. Boroughs, JD Salinger, Jack Kerouac, others. It was basically Wilhelm Reich combining the Freudian school of psychiatry with modern atomic theory and a fair dose of early new age spiritualism. He theorized that there was fundamental Orgone particles that were generated and consumed by living things, and that human ailments arose due to bad proportions of them. Said ailments could be cured by going into a Orgone energy accumulator:

Also known as "A metal box with a chair"

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Does that box rocket you upwards and let you control a robot?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I walked away from Star Driver disappointed and irritated. If y'all are still singing this show's praises in a couple of weeks, I'll consider picking it up.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Here's some interesting analysis of some scenes / imagery from the first episode, particularly when compared to some similar imagery in Ikuhara's works. This sort of stuff is why I dig Igarashi, Enokido, and also Ikuhara.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ahem don't mind me I'm just gonna sit on my chair in my orgone box and meditate upon my energies with a smooth, rhythmic motion.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Zorak posted:

Here's some interesting analysis of some scenes / imagery from the first episode,

"Opening with the more phallic rocket launch sequence" What, Japan's H-IIB rocket? (More or less) It's an interesting read, but I feel the author's stretching on the sexual themes. Then again, they might be going the Star Driver route with libido powered robots, so who knows? :shrug:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The fact that the kill-t-gang machine was powered by libido and its groin was a hollow containing an energy pellet thing makes me slightly more like to buy into people talking about sexual themes in something, for once.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Spelling Mitsake posted:

"Opening with the more phallic rocket launch sequence" What, Japan's H-IIB rocket? (More or less) It's an interesting read, but I feel the author's stretching on the sexual themes. Then again, they might be going the Star Driver route with libido powered robots, so who knows? :shrug:

Death of the Author etc, analysis of fiction doesn't need to coincide necessarily with author's intent or "this is the literal truth of the imagery".

Also given that everything is powered by Orgone Energy, sexual imagery isn't really inaccurate you know??

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That guy seems rather intent on reading sexual imagery out of all that, but regardless it was a pretty good analysis.

e: There's nothing particularly phallic about this show yet. There is a bit of sexual imagery with the whole powered by libido thing, but overall not really, yet.

It just annoys me when people are dead set on read penises and sexual imagery out of every random detail of a story. English professors especially. Thankfully, my high school english teachers weren't like that, but they were also poo poo at teaching.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 12, 2014

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
This is the same team that made Star Driver, the anime where the school uniform had pink neckties that looked an awful lot like a cartoon penis at the bottom. I think reading sexual imagery into this is fair game.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neeksy posted:

This is the same team that made Star Driver, the anime where the school uniform had pink neckties that looked an awful lot like a cartoon penis at the bottom. I think reading sexual imagery into this is fair game.

And the writer is responsible for stuff like FLCL, Utena, and Diebuster so he certainly loves to put that stuff in his work.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

ViggyNash posted:

That guy seems rather intent on reading sexual imagery out of all that, but regardless it was a pretty good analysis.

e: There's nothing particularly phallic about this show yet. There is a bit of sexual imagery with the whole powered by libido thing, but overall not really, yet.

It just annoys me when people are dead set on read penises and sexual imagery out of every random detail of a story. English professors especially. Thankfully, my high school english teachers weren't like that, but they were also poo poo at teaching.

This is Enokido, man. If you're familiar with any of his other work, that's kind of his shtick. Star Driver would have probably been a lot more overt about some of its sexual themes if they hadn't ended up in a family-friendly timeslot late-ish in the game (that said, they still got a bunch complaints from parents about the kiss-through-the-glass stuff).

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Would it still be imagery if they were literal penises?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

XboxPants posted:

Well there's that, too. Very reminiscent of the river bank literature girl from Daily Lives of High School Boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYp-h5NeGs0

I'm so glad I'm not alone in having this reaction, that line made me burst out in laughter. Generally entertaining episode, it looks like a fun robot show.

We better get some fabulous outfit for our protagonist though or I will be disappointed.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Good_Haro posted:

This is Enokido, man. If you're familiar with any of his other work, that's kind of his shtick. Star Driver would have probably been a lot more overt about some of its sexual themes if they hadn't ended up in a family-friendly timeslot late-ish in the game (that said, they still got a bunch complaints from parents about the kiss-through-the-glass stuff).

I don't know anything about Enokido or his style/quirks, so I'm calling as it looks to me without that bias. Maybe there'll be more of it later on, but I didn't see anything overly like sexual imagery except the libido thing and arguably that ridiculous transformation sequence.

e: Seeing that transformation sequence a second time, it seems a lot more suggestive.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 12, 2014

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The starter key into the big slot, the combination sequence and big red dick to start up the Kill-T-Gang robot thing were pretty de facto sexual imagery. Just straight up talking about Orgone energy also works. If you think that guy is reaching and biased towards seeing sexual imagery then you're trying even harder to not see it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ViggyNash posted:

No dude, there's a ton of phallic/yonic imagery in the transformation sequence alone. Plus I'm pretty sure that tiny robot got it's butt drilled in the first stage of the transformation.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Captain Earth episode 2 is up

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I dunno, having the evil men in black organization named "Salty Dog" kind of takes away from their gravitas.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
So, yeah. Daichi is suddenly given a "gun" that girls cannot "fire", has a "mind of its own", and compels him to "battle" libido-powered "aliens". If this show isn't about puberty, I will eat my FLCL BDs.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Well, when you put it that way...

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I do like how Daichi gets things done.

He will loving do everything to throw a boomerang for his friends if it means summoning a gun to shoot the place that is causing pain through signals

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Pretty good episode. There is some deep conspiracy type stuff going on in the background but Diachi handled things like any good shounen hero should.

Also I can't wait for the inevitable Captain Earth Evangelion crossover in Super Robot Wars.

Also sure computer named after a famous trickster fairy you seem on the up and up.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Ethiser posted:

Also sure computer named after a famous trickster fairy you seem on the up and up.

The evil-looking CEO sure does love his Shakespeare references. You know, because naming your company after a murderous and paranoid tyrant is something everyone would think to do.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Triggerhappypilot posted:

The evil-looking CEO sure does love his Shakespeare references. You know, because naming your company after a murderous and paranoid tyrant is something everyone would think to do.

I kept wondering about all the Shakespeare references, especially because none of them augur well for anybody.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The aliens are sperm, right? They're trying to knock up the Earth. Salty Dog are chastity belts, and the evil CEO is all about artificial insemination.

I'm not entirely sure I'm sold on this show just yet.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Redcrimson posted:

So, yeah. Daichi is suddenly given a "gun" that girls cannot "fire", has a "mind of its own", and compels him to "battle" libido-powered "aliens". If this show isn't about puberty, I will eat my FLCL BDs.

Considering the very tagline is about the end of childhood, yes, this is one barely veiled puberty metaphor.

Oh yeah and all the characters wear actual chastity belts around their heads this episode. That dude was basically a controlling father archetype.

And come on girl, let me show you my boomerang.

Edit: And the flower imagery right at the end. We're gonna zoom right in to the pistil and stamens.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 13, 2014

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So that creepy guy who "oversees" Hana sure is transparently creepy to the point of cartoon villainy. Not that subtlety is this creative team's strength but... sheesh. If he doesn't prove to serve some sort of valuable purpose to the organization in 2-3 episodes I'm going to have a constant scream of "WHY DO THEY KEEP THIS rear end in a top hat AROUND?" in the back of my head.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

So that creepy guy who "oversees" Hana sure is transparently creepy to the point of cartoon villainy. Not that subtlety is this creative team's strength but... sheesh. If he doesn't prove to serve some sort of valuable purpose to the organization in 2-3 episodes I'm going to have a constant scream of "WHY DO THEY KEEP THIS rear end in a top hat AROUND?" in the back of my head.

"Well sir, the assignment requires monitoring and safeguarding a group of teenagers whose powers could jeopardise the safety of Earth if misused. Now as a vast conspiracy of men and women in awesome black suits I'm sure we could acquire the services of an officer with an abundant knowledge of child psychology or extensive experience working with troubled young people, but frankly the job's a pisser so I say we just lump it on Officer Douchenozzle who everybody hates cause he's a petty, controlling rear end in a top hat with all the interpersonal skills of a rabid moonbat, because gently caress that guy."

Show seems okay for now, and I liked Star Driver even if I would have liked it to go in a slightly different direction and think it could have used a less large cast. So I'm going to give Captain Earth a watch.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 13, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

"Well sir, the assignment requires monitoring and safeguarding a group of teenagers whose powers could jeopardise the safety of Earth if misused. Now as a vast conspiracy of men and women in awesome black suits I'm sure we could acquire the services of an officer with an abundant knowledge of child psychology or extensive experience working with troubled young people, but frankly the job's a pisser so I say we just lump it on Officer Douchenozzle who everybody hates cause he's a petty, controlling rear end in a top hat with all the interpersonal skills of a rabid moonbat, because gently caress that guy."

Show seems okay for now, and I liked Star Driver even if I would have liked it to go in a slightly different direction and think it could have used a less large cast. So I'm going to give Captain Earth a watch.

These are not realistic characters nor organisations, everyone talks in cryptic jargon, the whole point is to make him a creepy controlling father archetype who tries to control the sexuality of others. Just as a giant robot organisation is not going to give some random kid a giant robot.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Oh I know. I just think it's funny. I loved the over-the-topness of Star Driver too.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It was an interesting episode. I'm still not sure If the Kill-T Gang are an outside force or not; it looks like the engineered humans that Ominous Mega-corporation are using are Kill-T Gang. Maybe the kids that GLOBE or whatever are using are as well, and it's just a matter of their opposing goals? The Ark faction wants to instigate an early assault by the Kill-T Gang using their own artificial Kill-T Gang kids so that they can save their "selected" humanity, while the space agency guys are using their own Kill-T Gang kids + Daichi to prevent the invasion, not knowing that it's being instigated from the Earth itself.

HMMM.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Zorak posted:

It was an interesting episode. I'm still not sure If the Kill-T Gang are an outside force or not; it looks like the engineered humans that Ominous Mega-corporation are using are Kill-T Gang. Maybe the kids that GLOBE or whatever are using are as well, and it's just a matter of their opposing goals? The Ark faction wants to instigate an early assault by the Kill-T Gang using their own artificial Kill-T Gang kids so that they can save their "selected" humanity, while the space agency guys are using their own Kill-T Gang kids + Daichi to prevent the invasion, not knowing that it's being instigated from the Earth itself.

HMMM.

Wait, is there some promotional material somewhere that says it's "Kill-T Gang"? 'Cause a "Kiltgang" is a romantic nocturnal secret rendezvous between a young boy and a young girl.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Wait, is there some promotional material somewhere that says it's "Kill-T Gang"? 'Cause a "Kiltgang" is a romantic nocturnal secret rendezvous between a young boy and a young girl.

The giant command screen at GLOBE shows it as Kill-T-Gang.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

GorfZaplen posted:

The giant command screen at GLOBE shows it as Kill-T-Gang.

Usually I'm not a fan of the weird liberties & Americanizations that Crunchyroll takes with scripts, but in this case I think I'm glad they just call them "Kiltgang".

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

XboxPants posted:

Can't it be both? There's like a 99% chance it's supposed to be a pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Sometimes a boomerang is just a boomerang.

• Locked thread