Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't think I've ever seen that happen. Every time I've killed it I've always killed it by hitting it with a sword and it mostly does foot attacks and sometimes flies up and torches the whole ground so you gotta run away and then back again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I’ve killed that wyvern a bunch of times in melee and never seen it summon Heide knights.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I’ve killed that wyvern a bunch of times in melee and never seen it summon Heide knights.

Same. I don't think they aggro'ed for me until after I beat a certain boss later on.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh yeah, the adds don't happen unless you've already beaten the guy in the cathedral without killing the wyvern first.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I am also always doing this after killing dragon rider. Unless you mean after killing old dragonslayer for some reason?

Are you sure heide knights didn't just follow you up there?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You literally can't lower the bridge to the cathedral until you've killed the dragon. what on earth are you talking about

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Coming to the DSM (Dark Souls Manual)-6, a new subtype for Delusional Disorder: Dark Souls 2-ancholy.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The wyvern summons heide knights to help it in battle. The only way to avoid this is to snipe it from outside its travel range, if you're anywhere in its area it summons them

My feedback is you needed to add in a tip about a mew hidden under the dragon's truck or something else notably fake so people wouldn't mistake your joke for being actual dumb.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Nuns with Guns posted:

My feedback is you needed to add in a tip about a mew hidden under the dragon's truck or something else notably fake so people wouldn't mistake your joke for being actual dumb.

I did something like that last time when I described how to resurrect Reah in DS1, I made it way overly elaborate like the old "resurrect Aeris" rumors from back in the day. I wanted to try something a little different this time and see if I could actually hook anyone lol

e: worth it imo, amppelix's "what on earth" made me lol irl

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I just assumed this was some weird pre-Scholar stuff :eng99:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I have seen people say much weirder things about this series completely seriously

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
There is a "Return to Drangleic" event for SotFS coming at February the 23th.

So, if you want to be part of some active souls multiplayer and babysit/crush some nerds and their new characters...

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Did anyone make a random build table for DS2 like that one for DS3? I may as well try something different for return events like this.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The mod Augur of Darkness appeared on my radar, so I decided to install it out of curiosity. It's hilarious...ly bad. It's just a straight up Scholar of the First Sin romhack, a particularly awful one at that. There's bonewheel skeletons before you get to the old women's house in Things Betwixt. Standing on the path out to Majula there's a Dark Orb giant from Harvest Valley. I haven't yet traveled out to the Forest of Fallen Giants, but the path to Heide's has toxic rats and a dude with a fiery halberd.

Basically you all need to try this, because it seriously needs to be seen to be believed. I couldn't stop laughing while playing because of how seriously stupid the enemy changes are. It's great.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i know this has been asked a billion times but is there One Weird Trick to the smelter demon run in sotfs

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

StashAugustine posted:

i know this has been asked a billion times but is there One Weird Trick to the smelter demon run in sotfs

Get a decent bow, a bunch of arrows, binoculars, and practice getting headshots. You have to clear every knight in the main room, so until you drive them extinct, expect each Smelter run to take 10-15 mins. Rushing in to fight them is a terrible idea because it's so easy to die doing so. It's one of the worst changes they made for Scholar and no other part of the game requires such tedious creeping around. Not even Amana.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Or bring a greathammer and pancake some motherfuckers.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

You know the weird suspended bridge inside the courtyard? If you leave the far side raised, you can just jump off it and sprint directly to the fog door. This means the final posse of knights won't have a valid path to you until you're just before the door and you can just haul rear end inside without fighting them. If you've already lowered the bridge all the way those knights will charge across it much earlier and I don't think you can raise it back up again. RIP

Whether or not the bridge is down and assuming you don't want to painstakingly clear the courtyard out with a bow every time: there's a bunch of places where multiple knights will aggro you simultaneously and come running from different places. Their arrival is staggered, so you get a little bit of time to fight the first knight in the group one on one before his backup reaches you. A quick enough kill will stop you from being outbumbered, so anything that increases your DPS is good, but you also want to deal enough poise damage. If your weapon doesn't natively poisebreak the knights in a single hit, consider using the stone ring.

Other than killing the melee knights quickly, you also gotta position yourself so you don't get interrupted by an archer. You can find some cover against the first guy on the bridge behind some pillars to your left when you first enter the courtyard (although it's fiddly because he'll strafe a little bit to find a clear shot). The second guy in the corner of the courtyard will only be a problem the first run, when you're lowering the close side of the suspended bridge, so ignore him on reruns. The captain by the fog door is a non-issue because you can just run past him by the time he gets line of sight to you.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I will be doing the return event on Xbox, my gt is fastestgunalive. I’ve played ds2 before but never beat it so looking forward to it. Would love to play with any other Xbox folks

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I’ve put more hours into this drat game than I care to admit, but sure, I’ll play through it again. Mage sounds fun I guess?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

If no one's tried it, I recommend rolling the dice on the crow's nest until you get a demon's greathammer and put all of your twinkling titanite toward it. It takes a long time for enemy health to get high enough to survive a single hit.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I decided to do a “no dodging” run. You learn a lot about walking out of the way of attacks and what attacks eat all of your blocking stamina. And I realized I can’t even ignore ADP because the speed of drinking estrus is dependent on Agility.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Welp perfect time for a new playthrough. Not sure what build I'll go for but it will probably end up being some kinda quality powerstancing build. I've already done a playthrough with powerstanced caestus and scimitars which was quite fun.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Treat it like a dense zone in an MMO. Try to pull with arrows and kite your enemies back so you don't get overwhelmed. Also get good at backstabbing, which will smack the regular Alonne Knights hard and give you some iframes besides.

The zone gets a lot of grousing but primarily that's from people who didn't experience original DS2. At least this time you aren't dealing with four heavy snipers with excellent accuracy at once; if you consider that you can understand that Iron Keep's enemy design is a big callback to Anor Londo.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

NGDBSS posted:

Treat it like a dense zone in an MMO. Try to pull with arrows and kite your enemies back so you don't get overwhelmed. Also get good at backstabbing, which will smack the regular Alonne Knights hard and give you some iframes besides.

The zone gets a lot of grousing but primarily that's from people who didn't experience original DS2. At least this time you aren't dealing with four heavy snipers with excellent accuracy at once; if you consider that you can understand that Iron Keep's enemy design is a big callback to Anor Londo.

Ehhhh, I've played both vanilla DS2 and SotFS several times. SotFS Iron Keep is a huge swing in the wrong direction, and it turned a bad Smelter runback into a terrible runback.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

All the revamped enemy placement mods seem to favor challenge runs but honestly I'd go for a mod that reduced the enemy density in places like Shrine of Amana or Iron Keep (or Tseldora, or Drangleic Castle) by like a third, and made them more about knowing where enemies are so they don't gang up on you.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I made a new character for Return To Drangleic today and multiplayer is so busy at the cardinal tower bonfire. It’s great. I put my sign down in front of the pursuer (a really fun fight) and I’ve been summoned tons of times.

I wasn’t around for the game at release but this is the busiest I’ve ever seen it.

I’m playing Scholar on PC.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GutBomb posted:

I made a new character for Return To Drangleic today and multiplayer is so busy at the cardinal tower bonfire. It’s great. I put my sign down in front of the pursuer (a really fun fight) and I’ve been summoned tons of times.

I wasn’t around for the game at release but this is the busiest I’ve ever seen it.

I’m playing Scholar on PC.

Dropping a small sign in cardinal tower and helping kill the pursuer on the roof is a great way to get a bunch of souls early.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Ah, the small soapstone. A wonderful innovation; I've always found its presence to be dearly missed in the later games.

DS2 just had such a chill co-op vibe to it. I summoned and was summoned in DS2 more than all of the other games combined, even though I never really had trouble with the game's bosses and such. Just felt good to bring a few bros who weren't stuck to you until you killed the boss or fell off a cliff.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
May have spoken too soon on my plan to play this on Xbox. Wasn’t able to connect to the server all day and looking around online it’s been a problem for a few months. Hopefully I can refund and grab it on steam instead.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Small soapstone is so good.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Is there any way to play the original DS2 on PS4?

It sounded like something I'd be more into than SOTFS.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

BigHandsVince posted:

Is there any way to play the original DS2 on PS4?

It sounded like something I'd be more into than SOTFS.

What makes you think the original would be better for you?

The best content in DS2 are the DLCs, which would be the same (i'm pretty sure) in either version.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Looking for jolly co operation on PC, hit me on discord FastestGunAlive#7015

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

Looking for jolly co operation on PC, hit me on discord FastestGunAlive#7015

Spoiling your discord ID for all the... spam bots that don't read the forums in plain text? Stalkers and doxxers incapable of peaking for fear of their virgin eyes being sullied by Luke's paternity?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

People constantly spoiler tag their email address too. I do not get it.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Ok

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
I just tried a Greataxe build, and it sucked.
Maybe it's because I beelined to it too quickly, but I got stuck on the ruin sentinels. I just didn't have the equip load to poise through attacks, the stamina to shield, the ADP to roll though attacks, or the HP to just take the hits.
Also the range on the Greataxe is terrible, I keep whiffing attacks.

Maybe I can retrofit the build into something else, but I feel like I should just start over with a different goal. I also fully admit that I probably focused on the Greataxe too soon, and with a pile of levels it's viable but... it's not viable now.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

BadMedic posted:

I just tried a Greataxe build, and it sucked.
Maybe it's because I beelined to it too quickly, but I got stuck on the ruin sentinels. I just didn't have the equip load to poise through attacks, the stamina to shield, the ADP to roll though attacks, or the HP to just take the hits.
Also the range on the Greataxe is terrible, I keep whiffing attacks.

Maybe I can retrofit the build into something else, but I feel like I should just start over with a different goal. I also fully admit that I probably focused on the Greataxe too soon, and with a pile of levels it's viable but... it's not viable now.

Use Mace until ready for Greataxe? Estoc will work for str as well. Remember that this isn't like DS1, you can and really should be developing a full arsenal rather than focusing on a single weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
greataxes have always kind of sucked. the range is terrible compared to greatsword/ultra greatsword/greathammer weapons and there's not enough to make up for it