Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Are Heide weapons considered good? I've been using an upgraded Heide sword for fighting lightning sensitive bosses, and it's been pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

axolotl farmer posted:

Are Heide weapons considered good? I've been using an upgraded Heide sword for fighting lightning sensitive bosses, and it's been pretty great.

Yeah pretty much all of the heide weapons are pretty great, though to be fair there's very few weapons in the game that aren't good.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I got SOTFS on PS4 (don't worry, it's the fourth time I've purchased this game, I think it's that good), but despite having like over 400 cumulative hours in the game, I never really bothered with sorcery before.

Now that I am using the Staff of Wisdom, what is everyone's favorite sorcery loadouts? I typically focus on PvE but PvP spells are welcome too. I could especially use some area denial, as I find Soul Vortex to be too finicky.

Also, boy howdy, I ascetic'd Tseldora to try and rush crystal soul spear, but those spiders do not gently caress around.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

The Heide Straight Sword's probably the best light FTH weapon available. You can't get it as easily any longer in SotFS, but I had it on every run I did of a FTH character for most of the early game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Ya I think Heide knights are cool looking and were a very good atmosphere thing before SOTFS, but actually fighting them is almost as annoying as those stupid dogs in the gutter. Like that's practically half of what makes them hard is how they zip around.

Aren't they like super easy to parry? I still think Heide's Tower of Flame while very pretty is still kind of annoying to playthrough. Although I guess you can just run through it. I can't really remember if there is anything worthy of value in any of the chests.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

f#a# posted:

Now that I am using the Staff of Wisdom
Don't forget to infuse it using a faintstone, doing so is all upside.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

blackguy32 posted:

Aren't they like super easy to parry? I still think Heide's Tower of Flame while very pretty is still kind of annoying to playthrough. Although I guess you can just run through it. I can't really remember if there is anything worthy of value in any of the chests.

The cling ring is in one of them

Also yeha, Heide is pretty lame and tiny and the patrolling knights post dragon rider are just semi functional speed bumps

skasion fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 18, 2020

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

axolotl farmer posted:

A buffed, infused Heide spear also hits like a truck for such a long, fast weapon. The Heide weapons are great for faith builds.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I always felt that Heide's, apart from being a beautiful zone, is where the game teaches you about using damage weaknesses and methods of attack that aren't just "hit enemy when not blocking/ attacking." At least, with the Old Knights being insanely weak to strike damage, sword Heide Knights being easy to parry, and spear Heide Knights being extremely tough to get an opening on except for their double swing -> jump stab attack, which leads to an easy backstab if you roll past them.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

f#a# posted:

I got SOTFS on PS4 (don't worry, it's the fourth time I've purchased this game, I think it's that good), but despite having like over 400 cumulative hours in the game, I never really bothered with sorcery before.

Now that I am using the Staff of Wisdom, what is everyone's favorite sorcery loadouts? I typically focus on PvE but PvP spells are welcome too. I could especially use some area denial, as I find Soul Vortex to be too finicky.

Also, boy howdy, I ascetic'd Tseldora to try and rush crystal soul spear, but those spiders do not gently caress around.

I am not an expert but sorcery was my build for my run through. I found most the spells to not be very good so I just took three slots worth of various soul arrows, greater magic weapon, and crystal magic weapon. I used flame long sword and a broadsword until I got the blue flame and the moonlight great sword.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

f#a# posted:

Soul greatsword is my favorite sorcery but it's hella late and can't be ascetic'd. Sorceries don't really do area denial, sorry. My sorcery builds tend to wind up as hexers because dark orb is better than every soul arrow combined and you pick up a bunch of other neat poo poo along the way.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 18, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How do y’all pronounce Heide? Heide or Heide?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
hide

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The first time I ever heard it spoken aloud was in hbomberguy’s “in defense of dark souls 2” video and he says Hide-ee so I say that too.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I pronounce it "Hayds" for purely contrarian reasons.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m English so it ends up sound like “eide”

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Like das Alpmädchen

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

hey'd's tower of flam-may

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Crestfallen Saulden mentions it by full name in his initial volley of tips n trix, he goes with

Vermain posted:

I pronounce it "Hayds" for purely contrarian reasons.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You idiots. It's pronounced "Heide."

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I pronounced it like jekyll and "hyde" until I spoke to one of the NPCs who pronounce it like "hey'd". I think it was the depressed boy in Majula who says it, or the blue sentinels guy after the dragonslayer fight.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

it's ok he's wrong

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hiddle's Flambe.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Well Sinh is sure giving me a run for the money! Reminds me of Midir, but with breaking weapons.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

Well Sinh is sure giving me a run for the money! Reminds me of Midir, but with breaking weapons.

Sinh is the series' best dragon enemy, and probably one of its best large, non-humanoid enemies to boot.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Vermain posted:

Sinh is the series' best dragon enemy, and probably one of its best large, non-humanoid enemies to boot.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've still never had something actually break fighting sinh

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

I've still never had something actually break fighting sinh

Do you play on PC?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yes

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

That's odd then. I guess maybe you just use beefy weapons or don't play at 60fps.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I fought Sinh with a Sunlight Straight Sword on PC and didn't have any problems.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's odd then. I guess maybe you just use beefy weapons or don't play at 60fps.
I usually play with spears/straight swords and at as high a framerate as possible, which is high since ds2 is the most optimized souls game. I dunno what anyone is doing that all their poo poo is breaking against sinh.

also I'm pretty sure the 60fps durability thing was patched ages ago

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

IronicDongz posted:

I usually play with spears/straight swords and at as high a framerate as possible, which is high since ds2 is the most optimized souls game. I dunno what anyone is doing that all their poo poo is breaking against sinh.

also I'm pretty sure the 60fps durability thing was patched ages ago

It was indeed patched ages ago, and even if it wasn't, the issue was never as simple as "higher framerate = more durability damage." It was a bug with a specific interaction, where if you attacked a corpse or an allied monster (think rat covenant mastodons), durability was tracked for every frame your weapon interacted with the corpse.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I think I’ve had a weapon break fighting Sinh once or twice (maybe a rapier?), but I never use only one weapon on any character, so I’ve never been screwed by it.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

My axe has broken once so far in my playthrough, I think while I was fighting The Rotten after doing a big run clearing out Black Gulch.

My first time playing the game, I played Deprived and wound up breaking whatever weapon they get first (I didn't realize the durability mechanic had changed), and because I was playing blind, I was stuck with a broken weapon until I finally, finally got Leningrast's key.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I play on PS4, and I use a +10 Heide sword. When Sinh is at ~50%, I get the warning that the sword is at risk.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Sinh is dust! drat, that was one of the best boss fight in the entire series!

Tough enemy, but fair. Not as unforgiving as Midir. Gives you breaks for healing/rebuff if you know when it’s safe in a reasonable way.

I used a +10 Claymore and wore rags to get the long roll. Had to use one repair powder at the end of the fight. Phew!

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug
Reinstalled this with the ascended mod the other day and holy poo poo it's so goddamn hard. All the equipment you wear matters a lot more than before. The first thing you see on just NG is a Pursuer being spawned in along with you in Things Betwixt. It's a lot more RPG than the standard game, is pretty cool so far but almost anything can kill you in 2 hits at most.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
A buddy of mine got this is the Steam sale. He’s never played it so we’re going to co-op. I haven’t played in a long time. What’s the earliest point you can co-op? Cardinal Tower bonfire in the Forest or the first Heides bonfire. Do you start with the white soapstone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
To get into co-op quickly, you’ll need to go to the Forest of the Giants. You’ll get your usual white soap stone from Pate after you go through the area behind the gate he warns you about. There’s also a Small White Soapstone you can get behind a locked door above the Cardinal Tower bonfire, and you can break the door down!

The large stone is the usual business that’ll last until the boss, while the small last until a number of enemies are defeated/time passes/boss beaten.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 6, 2020