Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I was really excited for the Return to Drangleic because Souls 2 is one of my favorite games but holy gently caress is switching back between this and Nioh 2 (I was midway through the PC version) just amazingly awkward. But also this might be my chance to finally take out the dual inviso-cats, which is a feat that has so far eluded me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

GutBomb posted:

I just did this twice in a row using a bonfire ascetic and if you have a torch out the whole time you can literally just run past everything. Once you’re on NG+/bonfire intensity 2 you’ve got a couple enemies that the torch doesn’t repel so you’ll have to take care of them but it’s still pretty quick. Make sure you go from the chapel bonfire and not the lower one. The lower one is technically closer but it’s a much more treacherous path.

The lower bonfire route really isn't that big of a deal and you end up in the same place almost immediately anyway. Plus you pick up Bashful Ray on the way.

There are the handful of hollows down there either way, but yeah I guess I made things harder by forgetting to torch up. But I'm also assuming the summons would get caught up on the million spiders either way? Idk, I just wanted to enjoy the novelty of bringing 3 summons along for the ride. Spoilers, it turns out like a number of other fights they either do amazingly well or immediately eat poo poo and then keep eating poo poo until they die.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 1, 2021

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

And Tyler Too! posted:

I'm trying the double caestus punchmans run and this is pretty baller.

like half the people I've run into has been doing this, it's pretty wild

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Franchescanado posted:

I bought Scholar on PS4/5 on sale last week. Found out about Return to Drangleic yesterday and made a game immediately.

I beat DS1R on PS4 at the end of 2020 for the first time. This is my first time with DS2, and I'll be listening along to Bonfireside Chat's DS2 season (Gary and Kole, if you're reading: hey guys, you're cool), even though it's from the original and not Scholar.

I made a bandit named Thunderkiss. I accidentally went towards Heides Tower of Flame first instead of Forest of Fallen Giants. I managed to get through the first three Old Knights, but couldn't get past the next three. I kept thinking "Wow, they really upped the difficulty up-front in this." I leveled up plenty trying to work past those Old Knights before I explored more of Majala and found the path to the Forest of Fallen Giants.

Game's fun. Looks great on a PS5, and I haven't had any issues with online.

its fun listening along, especially since the original episodes were done before scholar was released

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

Its also far easier than a dex run imo. Most of the people I've been summoned to are named "Sir X" and are wearing drangleic armour and a hatchet.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sir Tonk posted:

To be fair, Dark Souls 2 is probably the best game in the series for going all in on boxing enemies to death. Dark Souls 3's dual wield mechanics are a poor imitation of the glory of power stancing. Also DS2 lets you wield a single cestus double fisted so you can run around doing the two handed overhead chop on people like Captain Kirk. Dark Souls 3 Cestus is strictly okay, but I think most people use it for 360 noscope parry shenanigans. Demon fists in DS3 are kind of rad though, shame the Boss Weapon upgrade materials dont really start showing up in any appreciable amount until the very end of the game.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
it helps that a poo poo ton of the enemies in 2 are weak/neutral to strike damage

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Speaking of punch-em-ups, I successfully made a dash for Flynn's Ring, which was slightly tricky but not overly so, and the Bone Fist which ugggghhh. The frozen knights have incredibly unfortunate hitboxes that are hard to consistently reach with just caestuses and of course you have to fight like 10 of them, twice, in order to get over to the dang cave and activate kung-fu mode. (And then I didn't have enough Dex to powerstance it, so I had to go fix that, oi.)

So...anyone have a quick and dirty guide to how to actually use the bone fist moveset effectively? :sweatdrop:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 1, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've joined the Blue Sentinels to hopefully defend people being invaded. Do I just wear the ring, and I'll get randomly summoned when someone gets invaded?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I've joined the Blue Sentinels to hopefully defend people being invaded. Do I just wear the ring, and I'll get randomly summoned when someone gets invaded?

You have to wear the ring to be able to get summoned. IIRC you don't have to be in the same area that you're getting summoned to though. You jus toodle around with it and you'll get picked up for PVP defenses sooner or later.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Perfect, that's exactly what I was hoping. Thanks!

My first time I played like half the game on Xbox wearing the ring before giving up. I'm hoping that for these couple weeks I'll get summoned

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

That’s the idea. In practice it doesn’t usually work because the guy getting invaded has to be wearing his own Way of Blue ring to call for Sentinels.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

skasion posted:

That’s the idea. In practice it doesn’t usually work because the guy getting invaded has to be wearing his own Way of Blue ring to call for Sentinels.

Oh, huh, that seems like it's way way way less likely to pop off, boo. Well I'll keep trying it for a bit and just swap to one of the other PvP covenants then if it's not responsive. Any suggestions? I've had my eye on the bell keepers and brotherhood of blood as possibilities.

I def wanna use all the cracked blue eye orbs I have while I can

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Bellkeeping was pretty active (on PC, anyway), though it comes with the caveat that most people who trespass know what they're doing and are anticipating an honorable fight over shenanigans.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Yeah, blue sentinels has always been kind of a crapshoot, outside of 1 where you could proactively invade anyone who has PVP sin on them to take the fight to them (and also : anyone who killed Gwyndolin and got Dark Anor Londo ).

I get frustrated that all the games lock some of the better spells in the games are locked behind the covenants - It can take ages to get Sunlight Spear or Darkmoon blade, doubly so if you don't have PS+ and can't get in on the multiplayer side. You get stuck farming rare mobs with poo poo drop rates for the tokens in PvE.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 1, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

John Murdoch posted:

Bellkeeping was pretty active (on PC, anyway), though it comes with the caveat that most people who trespass know what they're doing and are anticipating an honorable fight over shenanigans.

The rat covenant is all shenannigans though. Be a dick and use lockstones to make your opponent's life miserable.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, blue sentinels has always been kind of a crapshoot, outside of 1 where you could proactively invade anyone who has PVP sin on them to take the fight to them (and also : anyone who killed Gwyndolin and got Dark Anor Londo ).

You can invade sinners in DS2 as well. In fact it used to work a lot better than the autosummon ring

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

DeathSandwich posted:

I get frustrated that all the games lock some of the better spells in the games are locked behind the covenants - It can take ages to get Sunlight Spear or Darkmoon blade, doubly so if you don't have PS+ and can't get in on the multiplayer side. You get stuck farming rare mobs with poo poo drop rates for the tokens in PvE.

In ng+3 you can buy all the spells after you get to drangleic castle. Cheat engine on PC can let you get them sooner, but for covenants that have you rank up on turn in's you need to have 3 of the items to do it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I started a powerstance build yesterday, not far yet. Will continue after work tonight.

What are cool weapons to powerstance?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Sir Tonk posted:

I got my Work Hook and I'll be infusing it with Mundane tonight :getin:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

I started a powerstance build yesterday, not far yet. Will continue after work tonight.

My first playthrough I powerstanced Washing Pole (L) + Warped Sword (R). It loving ruled, good damage + good reach + awesome and versatile moveset

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 2, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

power stance two zweihanders all day every day

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My first playthrough I powerstanced Warped Sword (L) + Washing Pole (R). It loving ruled, good damage + good reach + awesome and versatile moveset

Sounds dope.

I'm putting every point so far into Str or Dex to play around with weapon combos. That does mean I have no stam.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Tryhard answer is clubs or maces, they are available ridiculously early, have low stat requirements and can do WORK because of how effective blunt damage is in the game. Upgrade materials are so common and readily available though you can play around with a lot of things. The comedy option being to just upgrade to bigger and gently caress-off-Huger clubs and maces as the game goes on.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Smelter demon sword and aged smelter demon sword. Taste america! or other countries with red and blue!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tenzarin posted:

Smelter demon sword and aged smelter demon sword. Taste america! or other countries with red and blue!

Get white armor and cosplay as the French flag.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Not at all a surprise, but Shrine of Amana still loving sucks. :negative:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOWNVdDSw2s

it was once the domain of King Big Sad Guy, who did the flame thing

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

John Murdoch posted:

Speaking of punch-em-ups, I successfully made a dash for Flynn's Ring, which was slightly tricky but not overly so, and the Bone Fist which ugggghhh. The frozen knights have incredibly unfortunate hitboxes that are hard to consistently reach with just caestuses and of course you have to fight like 10 of them, twice, in order to get over to the dang cave and activate kung-fu mode. (And then I didn't have enough Dex to powerstance it, so I had to go fix that, oi.)

So...anyone have a quick and dirty guide to how to actually use the bone fist moveset effectively? :sweatdrop:
It's been a while, so grain of salt
- it has about half useful moves, half that are only flashy and don't do much
- the turn around in place one gives you a lot of hyper armor but doesn't do much damage, might knock over dudes? Probably not worth it
- running attack knocks anything over that can be knocked over, but beware that you don't launch yourself off a cliff
- do use the hadokens, they deal a good amount of damage
- L1 is your bread and butter (unsurprisingly)
- switch to two-handing the fist often, don't just lock in the powerstance. It has a different and also quite fun moveset

My first playthrough I powerstanced Warped Sword (L) + Washing Pole (R). It loving ruled, good damage + good reach + awesome and versatile moveset
Are you sure it wasn't the other way around? I was confused for a while trying to get the spin to activate when I first tried Warped Sword and I think it needs to be in the right hand to convey the spin thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Craftsman's hammer and the crescent sickle :ussr:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

So this community event has interested me! Anyone recommend a fairly easy to moderate cool build to play through on it? I played through this one a bajillion years ago by halberding it up

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

Are you sure it wasn't the other way around? I was confused for a while trying to get the spin to activate when I first tried Warped Sword and I think it needs to be in the right hand to convey the spin thing.

Whoops, you're right--warped sword in the RIGHT hand

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Feldegast42 posted:

So this community event has interested me! Anyone recommend a fairly easy to moderate cool build to play through on it? I played through this one a bajillion years ago by halberding it up
Melee Hexer? Dark buffed Dark Silverblack Spear is sicknasty. Shoot Dark Orbs with the left hand. Excellent damage at every range.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I defeated the Flexile Sentry so I'm almost at Straid for boss weapons.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Simply Simon posted:

It's been a while, so grain of salt
- it has about half useful moves, half that are only flashy and don't do much
- the turn around in place one gives you a lot of hyper armor but doesn't do much damage, might knock over dudes? Probably not worth it
- running attack knocks anything over that can be knocked over, but beware that you don't launch yourself off a cliff
- do use the hadokens, they deal a good amount of damage
- L1 is your bread and butter (unsurprisingly)
- switch to two-handing the fist often, don't just lock in the powerstance. It has a different and also quite fun moveset

I wrapped up for the night, but I think I started to get the hang of it. The main thing that made it click was being able to choose between the full R2 combo or cutting into the L1 combo after the first punch. I do miss the wild speed of the double caestus L1 but otherwise it seems like the overall bread and butter attacks are similar in spirit, just flashier and with more commitment to the full animations. It's all very rhythmic and punishes mashing, which I've gotten bad about because the caestuses love that poo poo.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Reality Protester posted:

I got my Work Hook and I'll be infusing it with Mundane tonight :getin:

update: wtf this sucks

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Trying to get the hidden weapon spell from bell keeper cov is going to make me go hollow irl :negative:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Perfect, that's exactly what I was hoping. Thanks!

My first time I played like half the game on Xbox wearing the ring before giving up. I'm hoping that for these couple weeks I'll get summoned

Like probably a lot of people I was in Way of Blue in the first half or so of the game and was the other way around thinking blue phantoms basically never showed up in invasions before remembering I forgot to wear the blue ring most of the time. It didn't help that I thought you only got invaded in human form like in DS1 (or at least were most likely to be) instead of the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Reality Protester posted:

update: wtf this sucks

I remember mundane getting nerfed?