Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Reality Protester posted:

Go to the No Man's bonfire, select Burn, and there will be an option to burn an Ascetic. If you don't have an Ascetic, easiest one is probably the one in the cage elevator shaft near Straid.

Ah, thanks, so that respawns the sentry. I never understood the aescetic deal. I used it to fight darkbringer(?) A long time ago, the optional boss in the Black Gulch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Oscar Wild posted:

Ah, thanks, so that respawns the sentry. I never understood the aescetic deal. I used it to fight darkbringer(?) A long time ago, the optional boss in the Black Gulch.

Burning ascetics basically makes that area (current NG level)+1. They still increment up when you actually go NG+ though, so if you burned an ascetic at No Man's Wharf, in NG+ that area will be effectively NG++

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Burning ascetics basically makes that area (current NG level)+1. They still increment up when you actually go NG+ though, so if you burned an ascetic at No Man's Wharf, in NG+ that area will be effectively NG++

That's OK, I don't think the warf is too bad to run through, or I can skip it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
NG++ isn’t that much harder than NG+ anyway

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Does the ascetic change the item layout to NG+ or is it just enemy toughness?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

ymgve posted:

Does the ascetic change the item layout to NG+ or is it just enemy toughness?
Yes. Metal chests do not refresh, but all other item placements do. It's how you can get the various +2 rings early without having to go through NG+.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Frida Call Me posted:

Pursuer everywhere is my favorite part of the DLC, you get twinkling titanite every time you win, so you can get 6 (enough for a +3 upgrade) after only doing things betwixted, forest of giants and lost bastille.

is this a change from sotfs? i've been trying to figure stuff that's changed or bad 7 year old memory

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Voxx posted:

is this a change from sotfs? i've been trying to figure stuff that's changed or bad 7 year old memory

I blame it on bad memory and really strange systems. I understand most of the souls systems but DS2 aesetics were strange.

Joke answer:

I blame it on bad soul memory.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Are the rat covenant areas active at all? I've never tried it, but now seems like a good time if people are playing.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

So what does Anor Londo get modeled on this time? 19-century Philadelphia skyline rather than the Milan Cathedral?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Forget killing the kid, they probably just wanted to not deal with all the messages that would be left around her.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sir Tonk posted:

Are the rat covenant areas active at all? I've never tried it, but now seems like a good time if people are playing.

I tried for a little bit, but I suspect that you have to A) be around a very particular soul memory tier and B) incredibly patient because most people are going to be spending very little time in Graves or Doors. Then again, bell keeping is pretty active despite having similar limitations so maybe I was just unlucky/impatient. Edit: Or maybe I'm a dummy and don't understand how it works. :v:

Also I did figure out some of the problem with my bone fisting. It seems like you need to keep the stone ring on when doing Eleum Loyce, because all the various ice knights (except the very basic ones) have juuuuust enough poise and their hitboxes are juuuust hosed enough that it's incredibly unreliable to stunlock them. By comparison, the enemies in Shulva are more middle of the road and the ones in Brume absolutely crumple after the first hit.

That said, I think I'm calling it quits 'cuz I'm just plain tired of Raime's bullshit. And all that's ahead of me is Sir Alonne's (lesser, but worse runback) bullshit 'cuz I already did the Ivory King with a posse, which is still the most fun thing out of the DLCs.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 5, 2021

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sir Tonk posted:

I found it pretty active, before the event even, at around 400k soul memory. Doors was busier than Grave generally. If there's another player there, it should summon them immediately if you enter the area with the ring. there's a 3 minute cooldown between summons, so there's plenty of posting downtime though.

RealityWarCriminal fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 5, 2021

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Man, my old caestus->bone fist playthrough really spoiled me. Other weapons and power stances just don't quite do it for me now.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Can anyone help figure out why my friend couldn't see a single summon sign or be summoned by us?

We were at the Cardinal Tower.
-Host was 9,000 soul memory, client was 6,000 soul memory.
-Tried swapping host/client. Both attempts, using the name-engraved ring with the same deity selected.
-Boss hadn't been killed.
-Both were human.
-Neither were in the covenant of champions.
-Human effigy wasn't burned at a bonfire for either.
-Friend tried using the item to restore connectivity but it had no effect.
-Friend had zero existing characters prior to this one that they made.
-Tried some basic firewall and winsocket troubleshooting, restarted game, restarted computer.

Friend that couldn't see summons or be summoned never saw a single summon sign, but could see messages and blood pools all over. I'm just completely confounded - is my friend softbanned? They shouldn't be, they don't cheat or edit or mod and this is I'm pretty sure their first SOTFS playthrough.

edit: they contacted bandai-namco and they were indeed softbanned inexplicably

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 7, 2021

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Take off the Name-Engraved Ring and put it on again. That usually fixes stuff for me and my co-op friends. It seems like the server gets hiccups when you e.g. put down a sign before being God'd or if your buddy puts it on after you put the sign down with it, or whatever.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Reality Protester posted:

I found it pretty active, before the event even, at around 400k soul memory. Doors was busier than Grave generally. If there's another player there, it should summon them immediately if you enter the area with the ring. there's a 3 minute cooldown between summons, so there's plenty of posting downtime though.

how many lockstones do I need to have fun in there? I've got maybe five right now and haven't beaten any of the lord soul bosses, just been hanging out helping people on bosses and invading in the belfry

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
most of the action happens at the entrance but your mileage may vary. you get lockstones for winning so you can eventually unlock everything. I found releasing enemies to be the most useful.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sir Tonk posted:

how many lockstones do I need to have fun in there? I've got maybe five right now and haven't beaten any of the lord soul bosses, just been hanging out helping people on bosses and invading in the belfry

The game is pretty old so people most likely know the layout. In graves on ps3 release, I would lower the first bridge and turn off the lights on both hallways. Then I would turn into a statue with chameleon, so many people would just run into the bridge room and get swarmed by rats and be in a dead end.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Tenzarin posted:

The game is pretty old so people most likely know the layout. In graves on ps3 release, I would lower the first bridge and turn off the lights on both hallways. Then I would turn into a statue with chameleon, so many people would just run into the bridge room and get swarmed by rats and be in a dead end.

Nice, chameleon is so fun. Been using it in luna belfry a bunch.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
ok yeah rat covenant in grave of saints is hilarious, every single person runs right across the bridge and gets wrecked. Almost up to ten people.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
dark souls 2 is a good lookin video game

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did you light the braziers on the path to the giant memory?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'm finding farming the loyce souls a lot more fun than I thought it'd be. Bashing a bunch of enemies alongside a mob of knights and fellow players is very relaxing. After 2 or so hours I've got 32 of em and I spent most of those runs as a host so for the rest I'll probably just lay my sign down and alt-tab out until I get summoned.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Are people seeing summons regularly? I just found Vendrick and I get sommoned after like 10 minutes but I don't see hardly any summon signs.

Ps4, oh well, shrine of Amana is in he rear view. I think my feelings about Dark souls 2 is that I just don't really enjoy the levels as much. They're pretty linear. Drangleic castle was fun and interesting. It's cool jumping outside and seeing the approach.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still in Lost Bastille, got distracted a few days and am waiting for my new ps4 controller anyway.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I know I'm very late to the party here, but I'm finally doing a full playthrough of Scholar, instead of the old vanilla game. And I'm honestly not sure yet which version of the game I prefer. There are definitely a lot of good changes in the new enemy placement and whatnot. But that number so far is pretty equal to my tally of "this is a dumb/obnoxious change".
I mean, what did they do to the Shaded Ruins? Did people really hate those lion dudes, or something?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Oscar Wild posted:

Are people seeing summons regularly? I just found Vendrick and I get sommoned after like 10 minutes but I don't see hardly any summon signs.

You're right at the point where signs started to get vanishingly rare for me (not counting the DLC). I'm guessing it's because we're far enough into the event that the initial rush is dropping off, and also that that's right at the part of the endgame that's both badly paced and the most difficult, and immediately after that bottleneck you have the Giant Memories which you can't co-op anyway.

Basically anything after the Castle is guaranteed to be a crapshoot. I got a bite or two in the final third of Shrine, two or three in the Crypt, and then a long, frustrating stretch through the whole of Aldia's Keep and Dragon Aerie + Shrine seeing zero. Aside from folks always being ready to go at the King's Gate bonfire for the final boss(es), I wouldn't see any more co-op until the DLC, and even there it was a bit spotty for similar reasons.

Raygereio posted:

I know I'm very late to the party here, but I'm finally doing a full playthrough of Scholar, instead of the old vanilla game. And I'm honestly not sure yet which version of the game I prefer. There are definitely a lot of good changes in the new enemy placement and whatnot. But that number so far is pretty equal to my tally of "this is a dumb/obnoxious change".
I mean, what did they do to the Shaded Ruins? Did people really hate those lion dudes, or something?

I don't mind nu-Shaded Ruins pretty much at all, but yeah I think I've settled into a very similar position re: original vs. Scholar. I was leaning more and more towards Scholar up until I hit Aldia's, which is now just pointlessly cruel and tedious. The fact that their clever updates to Dragon Aerie were...1) allowing you to skip the entire thing and 2) copy and paste a hundred more of the exploding equipment break guys everywhere is dumb as hell and ruins that area completely. (Oh wait sorry they also tucked a single priest enemy away in a random corner for some reason??)

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 7, 2021

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Raygereio posted:

In general is seems like the enemy placement was done with an eye for storytelling over everything else, well minus the dragon in heide I guess. I like the changes, personally, but I played scholar first.

Although yeah the exploding dudes is dumb in the aerie, but I like how the enemies behave in the shrine.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Sir Tonk posted:

minus the dragon in heide I guess
uh, it's where the rider parked it??

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I'm still noticing plenty of summons in the 1st 3/4 of the game. I got slightly bored and made another character for fun and there's tonssss of summons in the early game still which is awesome.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I got the platinum in SOTFS today. Used 23 bonfire ascetics on the rotten instead of going through all the great lord souls in NG+ and NG++ and had to farm falconers for sunlight medals for 4-5 hours since my SM was too high for anyone to summon me, but I got it.

I don’t think I ever have to play this game again.

(I already started a new one)

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Simply Simon posted:

uh, it's where the rider parked it??

The parking spot in front of the arena belongs to his boss. Even though the boss is on vacation to Castle Drangleic, he still can't use that parking spot. It's bullshit

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Oscar Wild posted:

Ps4, oh well, shrine of Amana is in he rear view. I think my feelings about Dark souls 2 is that I just don't really enjoy the levels as much. They're pretty linear. Drangleic castle was fun and interesting. It's cool jumping outside and seeing the approach.

I didn't really see poo poo for summons outside of the very beginning of the gameon PC, but it also turns out I did things way "out of order" so I was underleveled half the time and overleveled the other half.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

oldskool posted:

I didn't really see poo poo for summons outside of the very beginning of the gameon PC, but it also turns out I did things way "out of order" so I was underleveled half the time and overleveled the other half.

I help people in the forest until level 50, then I do Heide for a couple runs then the Wharf until things die down a bit or I get bored, then bam zoom straight to Bastille. Awww yeah endless Bell Bro pvp, GET IIIIIIIIIT!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Well, I went back and sun-bro'd a bit and I'm back to a little more than active.

I think the looking glass knight has been my favorite fight right now. Unfortunately he doesn't pull out the fun gimmick very quickly so the fight is kinda trivial, but the idea is interesting and perfected in the DS3 DLC.

I went through Aldias and sun-bro'd a bit and I think my soul memory is in line with the community, and now it's a pretty linear progression if I remember. The warped word is fun and power stancing with the raipier is cool and fun. I'm adding to STR so I can switch back and forth to maces.

The mechanics are really fun, I just don't love the levels and the enemy layout.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Oscar Wild posted:

Well, I went back and sun-bro'd a bit and I'm back to a little more than active.

I think the looking glass knight has been my favorite fight right now. Unfortunately he doesn't pull out the fun gimmick very quickly so the fight is kinda trivial, but the idea is interesting and perfected in the DS3 DLC.

I went through Aldias and sun-bro'd a bit and I think my soul memory is in line with the community, and now it's a pretty linear progression if I remember. The warped word is fun and power stancing with the raipier is cool and fun. I'm adding to STR so I can switch back and forth to maces.

The mechanics are really fun, I just don't love the levels and the enemy layout.

looking glass knight did a stomp and then summoned someone when we co-op'd through. the guy was really bad, but hilariously he summoned the same guy a second time and we killed him again.

i really prefer this version to ds2 because i play these games almost exclusively co-op. vanilla ds2 co-op just trivializes everything. in scholars at least places like iron keep can be challenging with one to three helpers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

skasion posted:

They did though

Adorable :kimchi:

Wonder why they didn't put her in then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Simply Simon posted: