Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Decided to do a pure caster instead. I feel disadvantaged when doing belltower pvp as usual, and the emote spam after being 2 v 1'd when they heal is always a nice reminder that yes, this is what DS2 is a lot. Also getting swarmed with a sack full of souls when trying to kick down that stupid dock bridge and being unable to do the action because too many dudes, aaaaaaah. This is the best souls game though.

DUDE POKED ME FROM 5 FEET AWAY WTF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Hope to see you out there either as knuckles or zoidberg :evilbuddy:

I'll be hanging out in the 180k-210k SM tier for a couple days and increase it over the week. What's an ideal mid to late game soul memory to park at for multiplayer?

Invasions tend to strike people at higher SM tiers, and putting down your white soapstone sign usually gets you summoned by people in lower tiers.

I've made two characters for this event. One is at 150k SM, and their invasions usually strike Lost Bastille and FoFG. The other is at 800k SM, and their invasions usually strike anywhere from Iron Keep to Drangleic to Amana.

Both have basically filled out ring slots with Flynn and RoB +2. And just to demonstrate to myself that I'm no slouch at pve content, I've killed all the DLC bosses. I think I've gitten gud now.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
TIL you need at least 3 in intelligence for Straid to speak to you. With my 1, he was even less impressed than usual...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

FishMcCool posted:

TIL you need at least 3 in intelligence for Straid to speak to you. With my 1, he was even less impressed than usual...
"Do you even know what 'feeble' means"

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Shut up and give me my arc sword old man.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Got Sinner and OIK down, collected Chloranty +1 and Blades +1 rings (that Pursuer fight on fists was a bit tedious!), and I think with the various jolly coop I have enough to open the Shrine, so I guess I'll push to Drangleic Castle to get the frozen flower and see if I'm able to rush Flynn's Ring in the Sunken King DLC. That would help my DPS a lot.

I also used an ascetic at Sinner to get my hands on Flame Weapon and help with that ridiculously bad DPS, but NG+ Sinner is a tough cookie for my build with those pyro adds. No summon signs around when I tried a few times last night, I might have to wait that one out a bit more. Or maybe I can cheese that with NPC summons and poison arrows, hmmmm...

edit: silly me, Sunken King just requires the key from the Gulch, I got confused...

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 20, 2022

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Something I've learnt recently, always carry throwing knives of some kind on your hotbar. Those things can do as much damage as an R1, and so make excellent tools for finishing off someone who's backing off to heal.

I've won many, many fights by pulling out a surprise throwing knife to the face. Even better if they're a caster and think they're out of range, and even even better if they're ganking (throwing knife the phantom, make the host panic).

Also let me add Loyce Greatsword to the list of badass DEX weapons. Furthermore, I don't think there's any reason to use it one-handed, stick to the insanely strong two-handed moveset, and leave your STR at 13.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Yay, build as good as complete. Managed to cheese NG+ Sinner with a heavy shield in the left hand and a lot of patience, since the mid-fight pyros take 3 punches to go down, and getting greedy is a good recipe for dying. That's the Flame Weapon pyro crafted now, for on demand extra damage.

And Flynn's ring was also finally acquired, with patience also as Shulva has some nasty gauntlets while also requiring some precision shooting to trigger poles/plates and I just can't do that while 4 mobs are breathing down my neck. But it's done, so I'll head out to the Castle now. Might ascetic the bonfire and try my hand at the Ring of Blades +2, that's the last bit I could upgrade basically. Then there's the Vanquisher's Seal but I can't be bothered farming it right now, so...

Also beat up my first duelist in the covenant of blood. For some reason, I got paired with someone even more useless than me at souls pvp lol. 'tis a miracle and I don't expect it to happen a gain for a long while!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Flame Weapon is kind of a crappy buff, burning an ascetic on Lost Sinner just to unlock that really isn't worth the hassle imo.

Flynn's ring on the other hand is absolutely worth rushing. It's pretty easy to do so, and it's alot of extra damage at lowist soul levels. RoB+2 is also very important.

And you don't need a perfectly complete build to rock house with pvp, just upgrade them to +10/+5. My current character is really interesting, right hand is Blue Knight's Halberd (lightning infused for effectively free damage), left hand is longsword, I'm at 1.1M SM, and I've put all my points into VIT/END, enough ADP for 99 agi, and a measely 26STR/20DEX, and I've been invading quite reliably. My rings are trash, just a Flynn's and RoB+1, no TDR or +2 rings.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Flame weapon is good if you put it on a fire infused weapon, otherwise meh. Ascetics are infinite so you might as well

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Phobophilia posted:

Flame Weapon is kind of a crappy buff, burning an ascetic on Lost Sinner just to unlock that really isn't worth the hassle imo.

Ah well, I just like the free on-demand little extra and pushing ATN to 10 for the slot also pushed agility a little bit. And it was kind of fun to explore how I could deal with Sinner NG+ on a not-particularly-great build, so no regrets. Last time I did her on ascetic was on a hex build so it was hilariously easy by comparison.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
While dual Caestuses do drop off in the DLCs, I recall them otherwise being absolute beasts with both at +10, maxed out STR/DEX, and the Stone Ring. The only problem with them and even the Bone Fist is that some enemies are just fundamentally not designed to be punched thanks to weird hitboxes and your short range. Vendrick's got a trick ankle that ignores like 2/3rds of your attacks, for instance. :argh:

skasion posted:

Ascetics are infinite so you might as well

Wait, they are? From where?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Wait, they are? From where?

Couple of ways. The easiest is a random rear end petrified hollow in Aldia’s, near the giant basilisk, drops two ascetics every time. You need to spend a fragrant branch to unpetrify him the first time, but after that you can keep asceticizing the front garden bonfire indefinitely because there’s no boss linked to it, you don’t need to unpetrify him again and he drops two every time you kill him.

There’s also two respawning ascetics in separate giant memories, but this is more of a pain since you have to go through multiple loads AND kill the giant lord every time.

If you’re a complete psychopath, you can also farm them off the phantoms in Dark Chasm of Old.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

John Murdoch posted:

some enemies are just fundamentally not designed to be punched

Indeed. Like crystal lizards... :argh:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

skasion posted:

Couple of ways. The easiest is a random rear end petrified hollow in Aldia’s, near the giant basilisk, drops two ascetics every time. You need to spend a fragrant branch to unpetrify him the first time, but after that you can keep asceticizing the front garden bonfire indefinitely because there’s no boss linked to it, you don’t need to unpetrify him again and he drops two every time you kill him.

There’s also two respawning ascetics in separate giant memories, but this is more of a pain since you have to go through multiple loads AND kill the giant lord every time.

If you’re a complete psychopath, you can also farm them off the phantoms in Dark Chasm of Old.

Oh dang, I never knew about those. Granted, the only infinite resource I ever looked into was crafting materials, which From specifically nerfed in Scholar...but I guess even that just takes two steps now.

FishMcCool posted:

Indeed. Like crystal lizards... :argh:

Something very funny about how my #1 use for the Hadouken was sniping at crystal lizards.

And then it doesn't work at least 50% of the time anyway.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
No you burn as ascetic on Lost Sinner to unlock Chaos Blade, one of the most unfair weapons in the game, which if you get a good counter hit in you can basically 2-shot people.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I maxed out a murakumo with 25 str and 40 dex, it hits like a truck but it misses hitboxes sometimes. I also have a warped sword with parrying dagger thingy that I'm trying to get good with, but its so much more difficult than BIG THING SMASH

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Warped Sword is insanely strong and probably one of the top tier weapons in the game.

It has good damage, and deals more poise damage than any other curved sword.

Two handed, it has the excellent curved sword moveset, fast neutral R1s and very fast running attacks.

One handed it has very fast running attacks as well, but those running attacks have long recovery (dont miss). But one handed, it has something unique.

Normally fast curved swords like scimitar has an initial R1 which is a diagonal slash, top right to bottom left. Then there is a quick followup attack, from bottom left to top left.

Warped sword one handed is unique, the order is reversed, meaning the initial R1 comes out insanely quickly. If you trap someone in the corner you can easily stunlock some unlucky bastard to death.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Also the spinning power stance attack is cool, especially if you manage to hit with it in PvP.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
With all of the talk about DS2 and Elden Ring I started to install it last night. Can't recall if this was shortly before or after I saw discussion of the RCE exploit for DS3, but it was before word later today of it effecting all or most of the games.

Anyway, DS2 servers seem down for the past few hours. Happened mid-game and hasn't come back up for me. In the mean I dragged my vague memory of how to play through Lost Sinner just now, with NPC summons because I like their short little stories.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I will always do my best to help my bae Lucatiel in every run.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Welp. The exploit put a damper on the event, and I finished the base game offline. Still have DLC to go through for funzies but I'll ascetic the castle to go and grab that +2 RoB first.

My personal verdict on punching stuff: excellent fun, but pretty unequal. At some points in the run it felt weaksauce, but many times (and most of the times against mobs), it felt great. The damage does hold up pretty well after all, and the constant poise breaks make killing mobs even more braindead since you can just spam punches, no dodge required.

Special credits to the most aggravating anti-punch foes though: crystal lizards, Velstadt and Vendrick. These can go *"%^ themselves, really, with the awful animation/hitbox combination.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Wanna spice up your next DS2 run? How about trying out a SL-45 playthrough?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I hope they fix this issue soon, I don't know what to do without my Souls.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Charles Bukowski posted:

I hope they fix this issue soon, I don't know what to do without my Souls.

Kinda wish this would be the catalyst for them to finally stop halfassing it with multiplayer, but I should know better by now with From. I fully expect a pretty speedy RCE patch that'll still let people brick your Elden Ring saves in the exact same way they've been doing it in DS1/DS3 for years.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QG8075KFt0

Be And is back woo

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
It bothers me he didn't get the stone ring, but I do love it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've never punched anything in any of my Souls runs

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

codo27 posted:

I've never punched anything in any of my Souls runs

I've punched a few walls, my TV, my sofa...

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You should try it, it's a lot of fun. It also forces you to get real intimately familiar with everyone's hitboxes and timing lol

After doing a DS2 punch run I played DS3 for the first time and managed to breeze past the first several bosses on my first try

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Vermain posted:

Kinda wish this would be the catalyst for them to finally stop halfassing it with multiplayer, but I should know better by now with From. I fully expect a pretty speedy RCE patch that'll still let people brick your Elden Ring saves in the exact same way they've been doing it in DS1/DS3 for years.

I have no idea how these kinds of exploits work, but it's kind of mindblowing that they'd have a security hole so big it lets you control other peoples' computers.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I'm finally onto the DLC after nearly tapping out halfway through the main game. Coming into DS2 fresh off my first Souls in DS Remastered, the most grievous sin I've found is the quality of its bosses throughout the main game. The Four Great Ones this time weren't woven tightly enough into the lore, making the first half of the base game all too much of a slog through areas I gave no poo poo about till finally reaching Castle Drangleic. The only four I would call passable are the Pursuer, Looking Glass Knight, Velstadt and Smelter Demon, and none of them could stop me beyond the first two or three attempts. I liked a lot of areas aesthetically, but the actual level design itself is a joke compared to DS1: the Shrine of Amana and Heide's Tower of Flame are lovely-looking, but pitifully linear.

I'm a dirty cheeser though and when I accidentally discovered the infinite bonfire ascetic in the Giant Lord memory, I couldn't resist killing him over and over again and completely overtuning my character. I'm going into the DLC at SL 230 with maxed out weapons. I'm a Dex/Int hybrid and rotate between a +10 Poison-infused Manslayer, +5 magic-infused MLGS, my casting and my bow.

I'm coming up on the gank squad in the Sunken City, I think, so I'll report back after I'm done. If nothing else, the level design thus far has been much better than the main game.

I've actually come to like DS2 quite a bit though. It's a very different game than DS1, and seems far less groundbreaking in regards to its storytelling and general design, but it's very compelling. The combat, builds and fashion all feel much deeper than DS1, and I've really enjoyed myself with it. I liked the NPCs more this time around as well, and Majula was a great hub. I didn't really understand the end of Benhart's questline, but Lucatiel's was nice and bitter and when her brother invaded me at the beginning of Aldia's Keep it was a cool moment (until he wrecked me). The general mechanic of red phantom invasions and the diversity of their behaviors and apparent connections to their spawnpoints has been really interesting in DS2, much more so than in DS1. I'd say they border on having too many in SotFS.

I also like the lore it ended up establishing for itself. The connections back to the first game are very nice, not so much the four old souls so much as the Daughters of the Abyss being fragments of Manus who have gone on to fester the world centuries later. Vendrick and Aldia are also interesting and more fleshed out than Gwynn was, although I think Gwynn capstoned DS1 nicely because it felt like you had literally walked into mythology and decided to kill Odin.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 26, 2022

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Benhart’s quest is so weird. It’s like all setup and no punchline. In any of the other games you would have showed him the real moonlight greatsword and he’d become despondent and commit suicide or turn into a frog or some poo poo

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
There is something very funny about summoning him for a boss when you have the real MLGS and he just says nothing about it though.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

skasion posted:

Benhart’s quest is so weird. It’s like all setup and no punchline. In any of the other games you would have showed him the real moonlight greatsword and he’d become despondent and commit suicide or turn into a frog or some poo poo

Benhart is really just there to have a good time, and practice swordsmanship.

But on the other hand, would he? Even if the sword was inspired by the MLGS, it still a family heirloom, passed down through generations. He's obviously proud of that, and his line about his sword "awaiting a true man to wield it" does not imply he's like, fixated on being the Right Kind Of Guy. I don't think he'd mind much :)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the fake one is better.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I always seem to miss him somewhere. I should really do his properly again.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
For a caster, I like Enchanted on the MLGS. It doesn't scale up as hilariously as Magic, but it turns it into still hefty *physical* damage, which is handy for anything with magic resistances, i.e. DLC bosses.

Obviously, the ultimate solution is to bonfire ascetic Freja once more and make two MLGS, one for base game, one for DLC.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Charles Bukowski posted:

I always seem to miss him somewhere. I should really do his properly again.

If you do the memories out of order, you won't summon him for the fight with the Giant King Giant Guy Tree Thing guy (Memory of Jeigh). At least that's what it turns out I just did this past week when I started going over a wiki to see why he didn't cough up the sword by the time I'd cleared up till the Throne of Want. Also I forgot that Navlaan shrieks in horror and shuns you away if you have the smooth non-leathery skin of a living person.

Probably due to the community event, some bros wanted to co-op at least the DLC again for old time's sake. One guy was all but ready, and I had started earlier in the day of the server shutdown (so after the announcement it was series wide). The third guy hadn't started yet, but had worked his motivation up while I was just starting to play. Have done the essentials and a little more... now to wait, for surely From will fix this and not just abandon these older games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Anybody else having trouble playing the game online, on console? I thought only PC was affect by the security flaw. I'm on Xbox Series X. Offline is not the same, especially now that I'm bumbling around in the Pharros caves wondering where to put my drat stones.