Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«249 »
Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

https://youtu.be/GAOPhWzfiN0?t=70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

ba-ba-DOOP DOOP DOOP DO-DO DOOP DOOP DOOP

goddamn i haven't actually seen this clip in ages

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

What is he saying? I cant tell.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

ba-ba-DOOP DOOP DOOP DO-DO DOOP DOOP DOOP

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What is he saying? I cant tell.

"Get out (in?) the ring, enjoyable human being"

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

Ms. Money

So with the news from the latest Observer Newsletter that FOX is telling WWE to make Smackdown more legitimate (from an in ring perspective), there are some fans freaking out about it and complaining.

Including writing long rear end diatribes that hurt my head trying to figure out what they are saying:

quote:

Nope. Comedy is not the problem. A lost element of the enlivened spirit that once was the trademark of World Wrestling Entertainment is the problem.

I'm stressing this right now that if they make the shows any more boring and uninspired and focused on "athleticism" they are going to dive headlong into stagnancy. This isn't the proper market. American pro wrestling is a style that is supposed to come off looking larger than life. It is dynamic, it is colorful and at times downright ridiculous, and that is the way we have known it most of our lives.

As usual, you get these desk goalie TV execs that shine their cabooses on a leather office seat who've never ran or likely watched a wrestling company in their entire life telling the industry what they think wrestling should be. There is no need to throw away the blueprint altogether, only tweak & intensify the inner workings of the design.

I'm not a fool, don't redefine to me as a viewer what a sport is. The ring action itself is a physical stageplay with many particular and regional styles interwined with hysterical commentary that assists in explaining a chapter in the art's story. If you only buy it as a sport, you're ignoring the whole scape of the entertainment factor.

Of course there are other quotes as well.

quote:

Smackdown is already booked like that and getting lowest ratings ever.
What wwe needs is entertaining characters and storylines not boring long matches only smark tryhards pretend to like.

quote:

Yeah because the NJPW model has a proven track record of being hugely successful in the Western market... Right?

Mass audiences want QUALITY storytelling with compelling characters that build to big showdowns above all else. The people that want weekly 3-hour shows that are predominantly in-ring make up a niche audience.

Comedy has it's place, all of the successful boom eras had a ton of it. lovely lowrent comedy can be a detriment, like in all genres of Show business.

Note: All of this is over the fact that FOX is telling WWE to stop with the lovely comedy segments on Smackdown and put more of an emphasis on the in ring product.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Vince is gonna book two hours of straight up comedy matches for Smackdown now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

Venomous posted:

Vince is gonna book two hours of straight up comedy matches for Smackdown now

Kikutaro will finally get hired.

«249 »