Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Welp there it is, finally the stupidest wrestling fan opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

I kind of think that's one dumb opinion that New Japan watchers brought upon themselves. I watched my first NJPW show this year (Wrestle Kingdom) and my expectations were so ludicrously high for Okada based on what people had said about him that being underwhelmed was completely inevitable and it has nothing to do with him not being great. I know people in the thread said that you have to kind of look at his career as a whole, but it's like, what do you expect people to say if they only watch a couple of matches? The hyperbole around the guy is just off the charts

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Nah, there’s no hyperbole. He really is the best wrestler of all time.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Crapple! posted:

I kind of think that's one dumb opinion that New Japan watchers brought upon themselves. I watched my first NJPW show this year (Wrestle Kingdom) and my expectations were so ludicrously high for Okada based on what people had said about him that being underwhelmed was completely inevitable and it has nothing to do with him not being great. I know people in the thread said that you have to kind of look at his career as a whole, but it's like, what do you expect people to say if they only watch a couple of matches? The hyperbole around the guy is just off the charts

So you watched Okada have two fantastic matches with Ibushi and Naito and your takeaway was 'eh, this guy's fine'?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i used to think okada was just fine but accepted him as the greatest wrestler of all time after watching him have like two dozen actual perfect matches on-top of another bunch of matches that are better than many great wrestlers' best match. it doesn't matter if he only blows me away with a single action like once a year, if that

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Okada's the best wrestler ever

He just also has a lovely cobra clutch

Both can be true

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Crapple! posted:

It's not hyperbole if it's true. Kazuchika Okada is one of the best professional wrestlers I've seen. And part of that is the unbelievable consistently high level of his big matches. I don't think it's on me that you have unrealistic expectations of what "best wrestler ever" means. The Ibushi & Naito matches were both extremely good.

It's entirely fine if that's not your thing but I stand by the statement.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I can understand not instantly getting why Okada is the best wrestler on the planet if you’re just watching your first NJPW show(s) and expect him to destroy the impossible expectations set for you by people saying he’s the best. There’s a slight ”learning curve” to the big Okada match, I’d say. I think the real appreciation for just how insanely good he is develops when you’ve seen a couple of his big matches with different opponents and see how consistently he delivers incredible stories in the ring, every single time with perfect technical execution. So basically this post is exactly what Cavauro already posted, just worse

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I wasn't completely sold on him at first either, but after the best part of a decade with him putting on consistently amazing matches throughout (including a lot of and _the_ highest rated match of all time), not to mention his age and him probably having many more years to go and it's not hard to see why people call him that.

He's not my favourite wrestler to watch, because right now I find myself enjoying Ishii and Shingo more, but that doesn't mean he's not the best wrestler.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Okada, despite his gimmick, isn't the flashiest guy in the ring. But as others have said he consistently puts on the best matches ever no matter who he's facing. He's for sure one of, of not the, best in ring guy ever.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

And that drop kick is *chef kiss*

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
And he low key has the best bridging German suplex in the world. Google it.

Nothing Okada does looks inpossible its all very simple and fundamental but its all done perfectly.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Part of Okada's gimmick is that he's so good he doesn't need to do super fancy poo poo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

Okada's the best wrestler ever

He just also has a lovely cobra clutch

Both can be true

In this case neither is true.

https://twitter.com/CJBattleChaser/status/1279055469542207489

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

And he low key has the best bridging German suplex in the world. Google it.

This is very debatable. There are some beautiful Germans out there. I wouldn't call it the best but someone who has sneaky good bridging German is Hokuto Omori, All Japan young boy.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 3, 2020

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Wasn't Dave the first person to tell Dixie when Spike cancelled them?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

OctoberCountry posted:

Wasn't Dave the first person to tell Dixie when Spike cancelled them?

IIRC he tried but she never returned his call or email.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Okada's last long reign that culminated with the loss to Kenny is the greatest title reign in the entirety of wrestling history, even the Fale match was great.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Eat My Fuc posted:

Okada's last long reign that culminated with the loss to Kenny is the greatest title reign in the entirety of wrestling history, even the Fale match was great.

drew huge too

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Did my part, reported that tweet for transphobia

oh hey, just got a notification update, it worked and that account's been suspended :toot:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it was from my report.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Chris James 2 posted:

oh hey, just got a notification update, it worked and that account's been suspended :toot:

Hey, me too!

Didn't they also brag that Twitter wasn't going to suspend them?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you get a chance, give me some more bad egg tweet accounts to get banned. I am powerful

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

They have a new account

https://twitter.com/FUCKAEW_

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Just bait them into saying something hosed up about Nyla Rose again and report en masse, because you know he's going to rage as soon as someone asks "What do you think about Nyla Rose being a better wrestler than Sasha Banks"

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Plot twist: The big reveal will be that former WWE Tag Champ Nicholas (Strowman's former partner) is running that account.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I only buy appliances from the local shop run by a couple "it fell off a truck :shrug:" Jordanian guys

If I could, that'd be the only type of businesses I'd ever go to.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

My favorite category for this thread is when people on twitter are needlessly obnoxious and a wrestler replies politely and they immediately backpeddle

https://twitter.com/JayGenCorp1/status/1280213780807458817?s=20

https://twitter.com/JayGenCorp1/status/1280216592077524992?s=20

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/hazzaricks/status/1280177206539493381?s=21

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
He's not wrong

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Except that he is because he proposes two absolute options neither of which puts any of the responsibility for the issue on how WWE books her. It also ignores the question of why WWE saw so much in her to push her so strong on two levels only to then flip a switch on her.

So like... maybe people want to see Shayna but don't want to see her booked the way she was booked leading to WM? Maybe that's a possibility?

But that can't be the case because that would mean WWE is the problem and not the fans. And as they say, the customer is always wrong.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
WWE's customers are always wrong because they like WWE

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Also "fans" aren't a monolith. If one half of fans want to see Bazsler pushed and another half of fans don't... Neither half is inconsistent.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Even if they All thought "she shouldn't win all the time", the current response to that from the company ("let's not book her to appear at all except for on Main Event") isn't really justifiable, nor can it be excused as "wahhhh fans are never happy even when they get what they ask for." Nobody in any community I've seen was clamoring for her to be demoted to Main Event duties, same with Ricochet, no matter what anybody thought of either

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

When people say they want WWE to do something there's usually the implication that they want the company to do it well, and it's not hypocritical to point out that WWE has done something poorly even if technically it's "what you want."

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

OctoberCountry posted:

WWE's customers are always wrong because they like WWE

It's funny because it's true

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

If people watched main event they'd push the stars on it, like if the same individuals who complain on twitter about wrestlers being on that show just spent that time watching that show things would happen. Most of the cool poo poo gets cancelled because terminally online people just watch 15 second clips of it instead of the show itself on the platform that tells the company people are watching. Streamable, twitter gifs or clips, help no one not in WWE or AEW. It hasn't helped the ratings for anyone and hasn't pushed anyone. When Daniel Bryan was being pushed hard by the fans they did it with their actual viewership, in person chants, etc. If Daniel was getting buried today like he was post summerslam 2013 the inability of people to do something offline would keep him sidelined and he'd never main event mania.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Twitter gifs are very very largely responsible for the popularity of every major indie star of the last 10 years. New Japan and PWG don't surge in popularity without big moments and spots being shared on twitter. Nobody watches Main Event because it's a loser show for idiots and marks.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Twitter gifs are very very largely responsible for the popularity of every major indie star of the last 10 years. New Japan and PWG don't surge in popularity without big moments and spots being shared on twitter.

Janela might not still have a career at all, let alone Would Not be getting money in a new major company, if the Zandig roof spot doesn't go viral. He's said as much himself. It's wild for anybody to imply that stuff doesn't matter a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Eat My Fuc posted:

If people watched main event they'd push the stars on it, like if the same individuals who complain on twitter about wrestlers being on that show just spent that time watching that show things would happen. Most of the cool poo poo gets cancelled because terminally online people just watch 15 second clips of it instead of the show itself on the platform that tells the company people are watching. Streamable, twitter gifs or clips, help no one not in WWE or AEW. It hasn't helped the ratings for anyone and hasn't pushed anyone. When Daniel Bryan was being pushed hard by the fans they did it with their actual viewership, in person chants, etc. If Daniel was getting buried today like he was post summerslam 2013 the inability of people to do something offline would keep him sidelined and he'd never main event mania.

I feel like arguing that they'll push whoever the fans are passionate for by noting the time they intentionally buried the dude fans were passionate for until fans were literally hijacking the shows is not a great argument for why the problem with Main Event is not enough people watch it.