Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lethrom posted:

Already deleted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

I believe there's another post where he refers to it as "covaids". Because you know, it's not enough to be a plain old dumb piece of poo poo, gotta toss in some homophobia and toxic masculinity.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Power Windows posted:

I believe there's another post where he refers to it as "covaids". Because you know, it's not enough to be a plain old dumb piece of poo poo, gotta toss in some homophobia and toxic masculinity.

For clarification the "he" is Aries, the owners of Toyvomit are cool and enforce mask-wearing

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mob posted:

For clarification the "he" is Aries, the owners of Toyvomit are cool and enforce mask-wearing

Toy Vomit isn’t the store running the event, but Wrestling Universe already came out and said it was Aries’ representation who made this announcement and they told them to gently caress off.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheWrestlingUni/status/1363878798840782856

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I’m always fascinated by how vociferously people online argue about WWE and comic books, when the ratings and sales numbers show that less and less people watch/buy with every passing week. Like, they clearly don’t watch WWE or buy current comics, but are so invested in arguing on behalf on a major corporation.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tato posted:

I’m always fascinated by how vociferously people online argue about WWE and comic books, when the ratings and sales numbers show that less and less people watch/buy with every passing week. Like, they clearly don’t watch WWE or buy current comics, but are so invested in arguing on behalf on a major corporation.

To be fair, the comic market has just changed more than dropped through lack of interest. It's mostly turned to trade sales. Though the most vocal weirdos are for sure pirating if they're reading at all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

To be fair, the comic market has just changed more than dropped through lack of interest. It's mostly turned to trade sales. Though the most vocal weirdos are for sure pirating if they're reading at all.

Yeah. When they say comics are dying what they actually mean are direct market specialty stores and, you know, good, but a lot of the people complaining comics are dying stopped adding any money to the hobby ages ago so who cares.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Yeah, the market has shifted. But I don’t believe the people complaining online have moved to those other methods of buying comics any more than I believe WWE zealots actually watch all 8 (or more) hours of programming each week.

Their only hobby is pathetically hating on a product they don’t even watch/read to defend...another product they don’t watch or read? How can your life be that hollow? Your time that meaningless?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

sleepwalkers posted:

people confuse saying things with intensity for being a good promo.

Remember that time when Dolph Ziggler changed his gimmick to "yells really hard"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Tato posted:

*Superhero* comics, specifically from Marvel and DC, are dying. The comics industry as a whole is doing pretty well.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Vandar posted:

*WWF* wrestling, specifically from Raw and Smackdown, are dying. The wrestling industry as a whole is doing.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Power Windows posted:

Nothing quite says "Covid is no big deal," than comparing it to the universally recognized Worst And Most Horrible Disease Of The Last Two Generations

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Austin Aries is probably an AIDS denialist like Foo Fighters

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lid posted:

Austin Aries is probably an AIDS denialist like Foo Fighters
The difference being Foo Fighters were doing charity for AIDS-deniers in the year 2000 and have since donated and championed to the contrary but Austin Aries in 2021 is still a COVID denier and general shithead who is just doubling down on being a piece of poo poo.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

it goes on for another 14 paragraphs

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

unable to fathom the idea of drawing new fans in by promising insanely cool poo poo

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

awful lot of words out of that wredditor just to say “I’m a joyless square who hates fun and spectacle”

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I supported WWE and wrestling through the ringboy scandal, killing Owen Hart, and Benoit but AEW having a hardcore match is just too much for me!

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

My man got worked into thinking he beat Hulk Hogan in a an arm wrestling contest.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
If you don't like stories and characters why would you watch pro wrestling? Go watch actual wrestling!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Dimebags Brain posted:

i forgot wreddit existed as the "serious" side of the bigots and dickheads at SCJerk and I made it exactly ONE thread before I had to come back here with this

quote:

/Wreddit
•Posted byu/4verticals
17 hours ago
I find the level of hatred that exists online for the return of PROGRESS to be exhausting

Am I the only one who finds it excessive? Gene Munny was livetweeting the show on Saturday and every single tweet he sent out garnered some hate-filled reply

ChrisBenRoy
14 hours ago

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I feel the same way about how Matt Riddle is treated online. I'm not comfortable damning someone w/ a title as serious as "rapist" over one allegation w/ no proof (and I admit that is extremely difficult/next to impossible to do.) However, to my knowledge, that situation has died off, there was never any form of evidence other than the allegation, the Riddles provided info that it was an ex Matt had an affair w/ who began getting a bit stalkerish and what not and provided screen shots to back that up. Along w/ that, it came out during the Speaking Out movement which I understand is the entire point of it but also can be used to conveniently slander someone as it has effectively done on Riddle.

Also, WWE is a publicly traded company w/ real shareholders they answer to. They are absolutely not going to put a guy on TV and promote him heavily without turning over every stone to make sure his name is clear, money is the biggest key, and WWE simply isn't going to risk losing money over a guy who at the time, they had very little invested in.

SCJerk - we claim that squaredcircle is oppressive but drat it won't someone think of the rapists?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Lid posted:

SCJerk - we claim that squaredcircle is oppressive but drat it won't someone think of the rapists?
Incel Reddit (and weirdly enough, Imgur) loves pretending false accusation statistics are anywhere near approaching actual sexual assault statistics. Coincidentally they also like to pretend that's the reason they're afraid to talk to women or be alone in a room with one.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dimebags Brain posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
deathmatch wrestling sure seems to rile people up. I don't like it either but I have no clue why it provokes such visceral anger in people.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Alaois posted:

unable to fathom the idea of drawing new fans in by promising insanely cool poo poo

I've spent a lot of time, more than anyone probably should, arguing online with people who hate modern wrestling and something I've learned is that they don't want to see anything new. For them wrestling isn't about seeking new experiences it's about trying to recapture old experiences. Specifically the experiences they had when they were children and thought wrestling was real. For them, wrestling as an artform was perfected at whatever time-period that they, personally were children. Once wrestling started to evolve from whatever point that was, that's when wrestling started getting degenerate and bad and everyone stopped selling and everyone started 'just doing moves', or whatever their personal criticism are. They believe that if only wrestling would go back to being exactly like it was when they were children it would suddenly become more popular and more successful. All these new moves and new match types and self-awareness are scaring off all the casual/potential fans!

So, yes, actually, some people literally are unable to fathom the idea of drawing new fans in by promising insanely cool poo poo.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/lqhet3/wor_dave_meltzer_tay_conti_is_a_freaking_star/

Every single comment in this thread.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Lol at people that just cannot admit that maybe the PC is a failure and WWE is only turning red hot indie wrestlers into mediocre brands for television.

Also: “well ackshually she’s not technically a ‘star’ yet Dave”

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

I love watching them try to name Performance Center success stories and just listing the worst wrestlers in the company

edit:
lmao Someone listed Jason Jordan as a PC success story
Oh jesus, Velveteen too lol

OctoberCountry fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 23, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Lol at people that just cannot admit that maybe the PC is a failure and WWE is only turning red hot indie wrestlers into mediocre brands for television.

Also: “well ackshually she’s not technically a ‘star’ yet Dave”

Excuse me she's the star of the show.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

OctoberCountry posted:

I love watching them try to name Performance Center success stories and just listing the worst wrestlers in the company

That or they name people who had very successful careers before joining WWE, like Performance Center success story Finn Balor

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
One of them is claiming PAC owes his success to the PC.

PAC.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

A case could be made for Bianca though she's really just starting her career.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

TV Zombie posted:

A case could be made for Bianca though she's really just starting her career.

The fact that examples are that few and far between is the point of the argument.

AEW is currently effectively using three people to varying degrees of success that recently got cut from the PC between Tay, Cesar Bononi and Nick Comoroto, which is probably the bigger indictment of the PC and the creative energies expended to make folks from the PC work.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
It's deeper than that though. Their movement to attack the performance center is a tactical move to discredit that venture because its not how WWE used to do business. Former wrestlers used to open schools and then get paid when WWE picks up their talent or uses their talent on TV etc, etc. Now the performance center takes that away. It's not about some singular style of wrestling that comes out of the PC. It's not true, it's that the PC insulates WWE and cuts off guys from making money off WWE's need for talent. Tay Conti is a perfect example of this double standard. If ANY independent wrestler came in NXT and was a star, Meltzer would specifically highlight that WWE DID NOT train them. Now, a PC trained pro wrestler is a STAR in AEW. Are fans gonna deny it now?

:tinfoil:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lid posted:

One of them is claiming PAC owes his success to the PC.

PAC.

I confidently expect that if the Young Bucks were to sign with WWE tomorrow, people on Reddit would list them as performance centre grads.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

quote:

If we can't give the PC credit for improving wrestlers if they previously had an indie career, we also can't give AEW credit from improving Tay Conti because she used to be at the PC

:thunkher:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

She wanted to main event NXT before she was ready and they wanted her to improve first and push her after that. It was obvious that she was not ready for anything not just based on her in-ring skills but also from the fact that she could not keep her emotion in check during matches. She was impatient from the start and with the amount of talent in PC who are willing to sacrifice everything before getting chance to be on TV she fell apart. Mind you that this was before NXT went live and although this sub likes to pretend that NXT on Network was much better, there was simply no time for somebody like her (and many others). When they went live she was injured, frustrated and wanted to leave. I have no doubt that she would be featured on TV much more after they went live but with the amount of female talent in NXT she would be nowhere near the main event.

Yes Tay Conti failed to succeed in WWE because her ego was too big and she kept... politicking? What even is this? Is this citing an NXT fanfiction they wrote?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vandar posted:

*Superhero* comics, specifically from Marvel and DC, are dying. The comics industry as a whole is doing pretty well.

This is also not true. They are still the highest selling companies and that's the biggest genre. It's just floppies no one is buying, and no one is buying any of those. It's just moved to trade sales. Sorry to keep bringing this up, but this is a common talking point used by hate group Comicsgate, so it would be for the best if we don't act like it's true.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lamuella posted:

Excuse me she's the star of the show.

That's Anna Jay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

That's Anna Jay.

I genuinely had name blindness there and thought that's who Dave was talking about.