Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Dawgstar posted:

Is 'move the needle' the current fedpill speak?

when cm punk joined aew, fed fans were constantly saying he wasn’t moving the needle and it culminated in roman getting a shirt that said the needle mover on it

of course, when cm punk left aew, fed fans pivoted to he was a needle mover and good all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Eat My Fuc posted:

People here said Edge was washed even though his matches were on par with his work in AEW which is good to great. The Mania 3 way, and his pandemic work was great. He did a lot of cool poo poo, and I hate Edge, the brood call back, great match with Sheamus, his hell in a cell with Balor. good stuff

Edge vs. AJ is the worst match I've ever seen in my life by virtue of actively trying to be bad and frustrating and succeeding at that. Dire stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JUNGLE BOY posted:

when cm punk joined aew, fed fans were constantly saying he wasn’t moving the needle and it culminated in roman getting a shirt that said the needle mover on it

of course, when cm punk left aew, fed fans pivoted to he was a needle mover and good all along

And then The Bunny beat Roman head to head in ratings

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The Jase Regal Memorial Bad Takes Thread: No, establish tag teams

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

The Jase Regal Memorial Bad Takes Thread: No, establish tag teams

Profile makes it even funnier

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I LOVE "Overbooked with dream matches every week" as though giving away cool matches people like to watch is a bad thing. lol

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I LOVE "Overbooked with dream matches every week" as though giving away cool matches people like to watch is a bad thing. lol

yeah they hate it, and I am enjoying living in my dream of crazy matches on free tv all the time. I will never go back to watching a show where every match is below 5 minutes and the total wrestling of a 2 hour show is less than half an hour.

Where the best wrestle is all I want.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
They remember WCW giving away PPV matches on free TV, and when they see an Ospreay match on TV, they think AEW is doing the same mistake instead of, you know, him just being that good.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

it’s such a dumb argument because aew makes way more off the tv deal than ppv, so it is important to do big things on weekly tv.

and it isn’t like their ppv conversion rate isn’t extremely impressive. they’re getting like 20% of their dynamite audience in ppv buys which is very very good

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

it’s such a dumb argument because aew makes way more off the tv deal than ppv, so it is important to do big things on weekly tv.

and it isn’t like their ppv conversion rate isn’t extremely impressive. they’re getting like 20% of their dynamite audience in ppv buys which is very very good

im sorry aew is wcw 2 and tna 3 and your arguments are invalid

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

TinTower posted:

They remember WCW giving away PPV matches on free TV, and when they see an Ospreay match on TV, they think AEW is doing the same mistake instead of, you know, him just being that good.

They conveniently ignore the fact that WCW "giving away a ppv main event match for free on TV" always meant "DQ or no contest or some sort of gently caress finish", except for like 2 or 3 times

AEW just doesn't do that

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://x.com/InitiativeRule/status/1780965933412143612

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
At the risk of raising the ire of the "2000 WCW ruled actually" here are some main events from 2000 Nitro:

January 3: Crowbar & David Flair d. Kevin Nash & Scott Steiner for the vacant WCW tag titles (3m40s) after interference from Terry Funk, Arn Anderson, and various security guards
January 10: Bret Hart & Kevin Nash go to a no contest after Arn Anderson, Sid Vicious, Terry Funk, a steel cage getting lowered, a lead pipe and a branding iron are introduced
January 17: DDP d. Buff Bagwell (7m19s) after Bagwell accidentally/'accidentally' hits/'hits' Kimberly Page at ringside and is distracted/'distracted' by it
January 24: Sid Vicious d. Kevin Nash for the vacant WCW heavyweight championship (6m20s) after Jeff Jarrett runs in and Sid steals his guitar to hit Nash
January 31: Jeff Jarrett & The Harrises d. Sid Vicious & Terry Funk in a handicap match (7m39s) after Flair attacks Funk and Jarrett uses a guitar on Sid
February 7: Sid Vicious d. Scott Hall in a WCW title match (3m37s) after Jeff Jarrett interferes on Hall's behalf, then turns on Hall when Hall actually tries to win the title, because Jarrett wants it
February 14: Jeff Jarrett d. Sid Vicious in a WCW title match (5m05s) after the Harrisses attack Sid and Jarrett hits him with a guitar
February 21: Hulk Hogan n/c The Total Package (9m26s) after the match devolves into a chair/belt assisted double team beatdown
February 28: Sid Vicious d. Tank Abbott in a WCW title match (3m57s) in the first clean finish in a Nitro main event of 2000
March 6: Jeff Jarrett & The Wall d. Sid Vicious & Vampiro (4m30s) after Jarrett hits Sid with a guitar
March 13: Team Package d. Hulk Hogan & Curt Hennig by DQ (8m59s) after Hogan takes the weight belt from Flair and tries to use it on Team Package, but the ref calls for the DQ
March 20: Hulk Hogan & Sid Vicious d. Jeff Jarrett & Scott Steiner (5m30) after Sid turns on Hogan, chokeslams him, and pins his own partner
March 27: The Wall d. Hulk Hogan by DQ (4m38s) after Vampiro runs out and attacks The Wall
April 3: Nitro is not aired in favor of a BEST OF NITRO special preparing everyone for the big revamp
April 10: Diamond Dallas Page d. Sting (3m42s) after Vampiro attacks Sting
April 17: Scott Steiner d. Jeff Jarrett by DQ (3m27s) after Booker T attacks Steiner
April 24: Sting n/c Vampiro in a First Blood match (1m35s) after the New Blood dump a bunch of blood on Sting and half a dozen guys come out to beat up Sting
May 1: Mike Awesome d. Hulk Hogan (7m13s) after Bill Kidman and eventually four other people interfere on Awesome's behalf
May 8: Jeff Jarrett d. Sting in a WCW title match (5m35s) after Vampiro cuts open the mat, drags Sting down to the smoky underbelly of the ring, then dumps him out covered in blood for Jarrett to pin
May 15: Ric Flair d. Jeff Jarrett to win the WCW title (6m19s) in the second clean finish of the year
May 22: Jeff Jarrett d. Kevin Nash to win the vacant WCW title (4m39s) after Vince Russo beats down the referee with a baseball bat, declares himself the referee, attempted blood dropping, Scott Steiner being handcuffed to the ring, and a guitar shot
May 29: Jeff Jarrett d. Ric Flair in a WCW title match (7m44s) after Russo once again assaults the referee and replaces him, and David Flair turns on Ric to allow Jarrett to use the guitar
June 5: Kevin Nash n/c the New Blood in a gauntlet match where Nash eliminated five New Blood members in about two minutes simply by hitting finishers on them and not pinning them, but then everyone attacks him at once and Goldberg helps him clear the ring 2 v. 12.
June 12: Kevin Nash n/c Goldberg (5m16s) after Russo takes Kevin Nash's young nephew hostage and the ensuing melee involves all of the New Blood, Scott Steiner, and several police officers who eventually pummel Steiner into submission with nightsticks

I could go on, but the obvious parallels to Dynamite should be obvious

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Elephant Ambush posted:

They conveniently ignore the fact that WCW "giving away a ppv main event match for free on TV" always meant "DQ or no contest or some sort of gently caress finish", except for like 2 or 3 times

AEW just doesn't do that

The context for that has changed a ton, too. Back then, PPV was a much larger chunk of a company's overall revenue, these days, TV rights fees are a way bigger one, so it makes sense to put big matches on TV.

Even accounting for that, though, the dream matches that AEW puts on TV are ones that AEW isn't going to get around to doing as big PPV main events any time soon. If they ever do Ospreay vs. Claudio as a title match, it'll be several months, maybe years from now, and having done it last night won't be a big problem to the hype for it. When WCW was giving away PPV main events on TV, it was matches that could've or should've main evented the PPV for that month.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Until Cool Hand Ang films himself in the Japanese Suicide Forest I think we can safely say they're not ripping him off.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

El Generico posted:

The context for that has changed a ton, too. Back then, PPV was a much larger chunk of a company's overall revenue, these days, TV rights fees are a way bigger one, so it makes sense to put big matches on TV.

Even accounting for that, though, the dream matches that AEW puts on TV are ones that AEW isn't going to get around to doing as big PPV main events any time soon. If they ever do Ospreay vs. Claudio as a title match, it'll be several months, maybe years from now, and having done it last night won't be a big problem to the hype for it. When WCW was giving away PPV main events on TV, it was matches that could've or should've main evented the PPV for that month.

"remember how dope their match on a random dynamite was? imagine what it'll be like on a PPV!" seems like it'd help sell things, even

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/PWPNation/status/1781007768423469072
https://twitter.com/MeltzerSaidWhat/status/1781009276149866931

How do you fall for bait this obvious when it's waving you in the face.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 18, 2024

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Everyone knows that the only people who have ever made fun of someone are AEW fans

https://x.com/JobberNationTV/status/1781012411925041222

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

why cultivate real enemies when the ones in your head will do just fine

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Feels like it was just two weeks ago that people were fantasy booking Sheamus to the Blackpool Combat Club and now this. Shameful.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
jobber is at it again.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Fat Sheamus rules, the fatter the better imo

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

super macho dude posted:

Fat Sheamus rules, the fatter the better imo

Slotted into the Punk spot for storylines now that Punk is injured again

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

I like how men are “guys” and women are “females”

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

a dumb moron posted:

I like how men are “guys” and women are “females”

:females:

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I'll say the quiet part out loud...:smug:

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
These are simply biotruths, whether each and every one of you like it or not

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Hoes, in fact, mad.

https://twitter.com/ebischoff/status/1781056162697216419

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Edge & Christian posted:

At the risk of raising the ire of the "2000 WCW ruled actually" here are some main events from 2000 Nitro:

January 3: Crowbar & David Flair d. Kevin Nash & Scott Steiner for the vacant WCW tag titles (3m40s) after interference from Terry Funk, Arn Anderson, and various security guards
January 10: Bret Hart & Kevin Nash go to a no contest after Arn Anderson, Sid Vicious, Terry Funk, a steel cage getting lowered, a lead pipe and a branding iron are introduced
January 17: DDP d. Buff Bagwell (7m19s) after Bagwell accidentally/'accidentally' hits/'hits' Kimberly Page at ringside and is distracted/'distracted' by it
January 24: Sid Vicious d. Kevin Nash for the vacant WCW heavyweight championship (6m20s) after Jeff Jarrett runs in and Sid steals his guitar to hit Nash
January 31: Jeff Jarrett & The Harrises d. Sid Vicious & Terry Funk in a handicap match (7m39s) after Flair attacks Funk and Jarrett uses a guitar on Sid
February 7: Sid Vicious d. Scott Hall in a WCW title match (3m37s) after Jeff Jarrett interferes on Hall's behalf, then turns on Hall when Hall actually tries to win the title, because Jarrett wants it
February 14: Jeff Jarrett d. Sid Vicious in a WCW title match (5m05s) after the Harrisses attack Sid and Jarrett hits him with a guitar
February 21: Hulk Hogan n/c The Total Package (9m26s) after the match devolves into a chair/belt assisted double team beatdown
February 28: Sid Vicious d. Tank Abbott in a WCW title match (3m57s) in the first clean finish in a Nitro main event of 2000
March 6: Jeff Jarrett & The Wall d. Sid Vicious & Vampiro (4m30s) after Jarrett hits Sid with a guitar
March 13: Team Package d. Hulk Hogan & Curt Hennig by DQ (8m59s) after Hogan takes the weight belt from Flair and tries to use it on Team Package, but the ref calls for the DQ
March 20: Hulk Hogan & Sid Vicious d. Jeff Jarrett & Scott Steiner (5m30) after Sid turns on Hogan, chokeslams him, and pins his own partner
March 27: The Wall d. Hulk Hogan by DQ (4m38s) after Vampiro runs out and attacks The Wall
April 3: Nitro is not aired in favor of a BEST OF NITRO special preparing everyone for the big revamp
April 10: Diamond Dallas Page d. Sting (3m42s) after Vampiro attacks Sting
April 17: Scott Steiner d. Jeff Jarrett by DQ (3m27s) after Booker T attacks Steiner
April 24: Sting n/c Vampiro in a First Blood match (1m35s) after the New Blood dump a bunch of blood on Sting and half a dozen guys come out to beat up Sting
May 1: Mike Awesome d. Hulk Hogan (7m13s) after Bill Kidman and eventually four other people interfere on Awesome's behalf
May 8: Jeff Jarrett d. Sting in a WCW title match (5m35s) after Vampiro cuts open the mat, drags Sting down to the smoky underbelly of the ring, then dumps him out covered in blood for Jarrett to pin
May 15: Ric Flair d. Jeff Jarrett to win the WCW title (6m19s) in the second clean finish of the year
May 22: Jeff Jarrett d. Kevin Nash to win the vacant WCW title (4m39s) after Vince Russo beats down the referee with a baseball bat, declares himself the referee, attempted blood dropping, Scott Steiner being handcuffed to the ring, and a guitar shot
May 29: Jeff Jarrett d. Ric Flair in a WCW title match (7m44s) after Russo once again assaults the referee and replaces him, and David Flair turns on Ric to allow Jarrett to use the guitar
June 5: Kevin Nash n/c the New Blood in a gauntlet match where Nash eliminated five New Blood members in about two minutes simply by hitting finishers on them and not pinning them, but then everyone attacks him at once and Goldberg helps him clear the ring 2 v. 12.
June 12: Kevin Nash n/c Goldberg (5m16s) after Russo takes Kevin Nash's young nephew hostage and the ensuing melee involves all of the New Blood, Scott Steiner, and several police officers who eventually pummel Steiner into submission with nightsticks

I could go on, but the obvious parallels to Dynamite should be obvious

Jesus loving Christ there is probably less wrestling in these 6 months than a single AEW main event

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/D0NStevensAEW/status/1781072295580066258

not sure what is more deranged. a don stevens truther account larping as a wrestler, or being a wrestler who has a don stevens truther account.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Ringo Roadagain posted:

https://twitter.com/D0NStevensAEW/status/1781072295580066258

not sure what is more deranged. a don stevens truther account larping as a wrestler, or being a wrestler who has a don stevens truther account.

lost respect for dax after he chose to click a button on a website rather than read more of the toxic stuff i intended to send to him

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I'm sorry is this actually a twitter account where a guy pretends to be an another guy whose an indie wrestler whose whole gimmick is making GBS threads on AEW?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Drakkel posted:

I'm sorry is this actually a twitter account where a guy pretends to be an another guy whose an indie wrestler whose whole gimmick is making GBS threads on AEW?

if you say "you were never a wrestler" to them you'll be blocked inside 30 seconds day or night

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Drakkel posted:

He tried to call out AEW recently and claimed he had worked dark a bunch of times and Captain Sean Dean who handles booking that stuff said he has no idea who he is or what he’s talking about. He still pretends he’s a wrestler though.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Nice to see that the wrestling takes on Threads are as dumb as the wrestling takes on Twitter

Only registered members can see post attachments!

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

He enjoys man-on-man simulated violence but when you add a women into the mix it spells disaster at Sacrifice

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

that took a wild turn

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Powerbombing your significant other through the dining room table because it looked cool on tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Chopping your partner in the chest and then waiting for them to chop you back because you saw it on wrestling