Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Your #1 scoopsgal is also in need of upping her Twitter profile so today I'm announcing the start of my feud with Coco Water. They know what they did :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rarity posted:

Your #1 scoopsgal is also in need of upping her Twitter profile so today I'm announcing the start of my feud with Coco Water. They know what they did :mad:

drink the piss rarity

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Rarity posted:

post you're twitter

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jesus WEP posted:

post you're twitter

You don't find your #1 scoopsgal, your #1 scoopsgal finds you

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Yep. Newsletters in the 80/90s didn't hero worship Flair and they didn't excuse Flair and JR's conduct at the WWE 2K14 video game launch. Etc etc etc.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Reminder that Ric Flair was incredibly proud of turning previously abstaining John Cena into a heavy drinker.

Yep. Watch Flair's 30 for 30: 'Nature Boy' special.

rovert fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 16, 2019

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
That grantland list is pretty amazing. Needs an update for the years since.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

There is a non-zero chance that if he dies before the roast they'll just prop his body up on stage.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Same here. Im fascinated by his terrible tweets. In addition to the ones you mentioned, which are very good, I also like it whenever he tries to gatekeep or when he does that thing where he relates current poo poo in WWE to other wrestling that is considered near universally good. Specifically, he must have at least half a dozen tweets each talking about how Roman Reigns would be an amazing gaijin in 90's All Japan or how Miz vs Bryan was an 80's Memphis match. Like you said, he is one of the most staunch WWE defenders but at the same time almost comes off as insecure about liking it. In the end, he just comes off as having no knowledge of anything.

On top of that he's a Never Trump Republican college student.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

fresh off of the goofy AEW shenanigans here are some hot trash takes

https://twitter.com/badtakejustin/status/1130164398465568769

https://twitter.com/HollywoodAsia/status/1130165344352575489

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

dsriggs posted:

Reddit is sorry they ganged up on poor Lars Sullivan. The top scoring post of a WOR recap thread:

"...as a black guy and an extremely left leaning liberal..."

That guy is the worst.

quote:

Someone from the media literally asked WWE to respond to Massaro's lawsuit coming to light again and they answered it.

This is stupid. People are just mad they can't use Ashley Massaro's death as one more thing to complain about in this company that they hate so much but for some reason refuse to stop watching.

Edit: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2019/05/ashley-massaro-reportedly-apologized-to-wwe-last-year-for-654224/

"We reached out to WWE regarding the accusations being brought back to light. WWE sent us a statement revealing that Massaro sent an email to WWE last October - a month after the lawsuit was dismissed - and apologized for joining the suit. She wrote that she was "basically poached" and that she should have contacted the company first."

https://reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/bqluge/_/eo5mut0/?context=1

e: Bix is presently going HAM in that thread lol

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 20, 2019

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

quote:

Maybe my fandom has been fleeting for years. 

I just can’t get myself to care about AEW. It just feels like a Cody and his superkicking frat boy friends vanity project.

I don’t care for workrate. I want storylines. I want over the top.

I’m not asking for TNA 2.0 but who the hell are most of these guys? Would it hurt to sign a guy like Wade Barrett or Carlito. It just feels to ROH/NJPW for me to care. 

I hope they are successful. But yeah sign Ryback or something. 

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

:same:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah they've got some of the brightest young talents of the generation but what they're really missing is loving Carlito

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Rarity posted:

Yeah they've got some of the brightest young talents of the generation but what they're really missing is loving Carlito
:agreed:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Where on earth does the idea that NJPW has no storylines come from? Aside from a trash can full of bad posts.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I love my New Japan/ROH wrestlers, Joey Janela, Kylie Rae, MJF, Nyla Rose, CIMA, Sammy Guevara, and Hikaru Shida.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

I guarantee this post was written by Carlito

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I guarantee this post was written by Carlito

No apple spit.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

karmicknight posted:

I love my New Japan/ROH wrestlers, Joey Janela, Kylie Rae, MJF, Nyla Rose, CIMA, Sammy Guevara, and Hikaru Shida.

That's a funny point I hadn't considered. WWE has far more ex-ROH wrestlers in their roster now than AEW.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
remember when carlito had jesus stab john cena

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

People will get nostalgic for anything.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If you were just extra hungry for a washed up WWE never was, Carlito would honestly not be the worst option. I'd pick him over Ryback for sure.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I love Carlito, but I love the idea there's a fan out there grinding his teeth because Carlito isn't booked in AEW even more.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Isn't carlito a body guy now? That doesn't really seem like what AEW is looking for

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

projecthalaxy posted:

Isn't carlito a body guy now? That doesn't really seem like what AEW is looking for

he's much better big and jacked than he was when he was little and green.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I always find it really weird that everyone who wants to run down every other wrestling company goes for "Storylines". WWE can't remember what happened last week to next and the only time it really puts any effort in is when it's doing McMahon family bullshit but sure, it's the storylines that keep you coming back to WWE.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 20, 2019

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Gonzo McFee posted:

I always find it really weird that everyone who wants to run down every other wrestling company goes for "Storylines". WWE can't remember what happened last week to next and the only time it really puts any effort in is when it's doing McMahon family bullshit but sure, it's the storylines that keep you coming back to WWE.

It's WWE brain worms. If you're not doing stories the same way WWE does, it doesn't count. All stories have to be told by a wrestler on the mic, speaking for 25 minutes for 30 seconds of actual information. All YouTube stuff is completely unnecessary.

NJPW, the announcers do a good job of explaining, so if you're used to tuning WWE announcers out/watching on mute, you're missing story. If you don't watch the post-match comments, you're missing story. The storylines are also generally a little more subtle, but are much more effective. They got a loving arena to explode in cheers because Okada wasn't wearing pants.

Complaining that AEW doesn't have any storylines before their first show seems very bad faith to me. Also, they do have built storylines, but you have to watch BTE and RtDoN. I've really been enjoying the build, personally.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I miss Wade Barrett too, I'll agree with that part

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Iizuka's retirement, while it didn't have the pageantry of Ric Flair's retirement match, was a lot more emotionally powerful. The ending where they tried to bring him in for a hug and instead Iizuka beat up some fans and ran out into the street never to be seen again.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

remember when carlito had jesus stab john cena

Not the first time one of the Colons had somebody stabbed

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Chris James 2 posted:

I miss Wade Barrett too, I'll agree with that part

I live in the UK so still get my regular dose of Barrett. At least I would if the WOS series wasn't over.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the day Paige met Bad Takes Justin

https://twitter.com/RealPaigeWWE/status/1130575106634207232

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Twitter was a mistake

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ah yes, the notably subtle and not OTT NJPW, which definitely has not recently had vignettes of a scary British biker threatening to stab one of their champions, and a weird Canadian goth-dad screaming about being THE PAINMAKER while covered in spikes and smeared lipstick

And AEW, the company that in it's first unofficial show had Joey Ryan return from the dead flanked by giant dicks is too focused on workrate and not spectacle and story...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

coconono posted:

Iizuka's retirement, while it didn't have the pageantry of Ric Flair's retirement match, was a lot more emotionally powerful. The ending where they tried to bring him in for a hug and instead Iizuka beat up some fans and ran out into the street never to be seen again.

Seriously, it's the second best wrestler retirement I've seen outside of RIC FLAIR and it was for loving Iizuka. It was incredibly well done.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Between the English commentary, subtitled promos on Youtube, and longform recap videos, it's never been easier for Westerners to follow the stories of NJPW. People who still claim that it's "all workrate no story" just give away that they don't actually know the product and aren't worth taking seriously.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

We don't even know if AEW will have over the top storylines, they've had maybe one show if you count All In

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I Before E posted:

We don't even know if AEW will have over the top storylines, they've had maybe one show if you count All In

You can make a pretty good guess from that show, the press conferences building to DoN, and the YouTube show that started it where them literally killing Adam Cole with a poison energy drink has been a recurring plot point for years. They probably will.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/DudesVoice1314/status/1131163991873601536

I love Shingo but there's not much of his style which is particularly reminiscent of Masaktasu Funaki or Minoru Suzuki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/DudesVoice1314/status/1131163991873601536

I love Shingo but there's not much of his style which is particularly reminiscent of Masaktasu Funaki or Minoru Suzuki

What are the odds that guy has seen any Pancrase beyond gifs and YouTube highlight compilations