Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

jesus WEP posted:

You get BT Sport for free if you get one of the more expensive Virgin Media packages
:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

njsykora posted:

BT Sport is a lot cheaper than Sky, the cheapest you can get a Sky package with Sky Sports is £45 a month. The problem is that BT Sport requires already having Sky or getting internet from BT so the cost works out about the same. I'd think more about the fact that Sky lately have been even more ravenous about grabbing up every sporting event they can possibly find (they have Netball now) so think about what it means that they let WWE go.

Yeah; at least with Sky Sports I get NFL and Formula 1 as well.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

TinTower posted:

Yeah; at least with Sky Sports I get NFL and Formula 1 as well.

what is nfl popularity like in UK?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I regret even getting involved in this debate, but someone on Dave's timeline trotted out the tired "durrrr characters draw, not moves" nonsense and I mentioned that NJPW and AEW have great characters that actually draw (which is obvious if you pay even the slightest bit of attention to either company), and now my mentions are a tire fire.

https://twitter.com/brown_fenix/status/1142614447497723904
https://twitter.com/TheGhettoShogun/status/1142616941171003392
https://twitter.com/TheGhettoShogun/status/1142619421762052102

They're still going 2 days later make it stop please

https://twitter.com/brown_fenix/status/1142960554027278336
https://twitter.com/brown_fenix/status/1143003672504197120

Benne fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 24, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loving love how often people try and make out that Cody and the Bucks are just t-shirt salesmen when they've sold out multiple shows now in record time and those shows have received gushing praise, plus they penned a deal to be on a major US network AND a major UK network (they have a better slot than WWE!) etc etc.

But even if they had done none of those things, even if they were simple "t-shirt salesmen".....they sold a shitload of t-shirts! They got money for them! That's not a bad thing! That's something businesses WANT to do!

Edit: On Observer Radio, Dave said one of the things he gets told is that sure they sold a lot of t-shirts, but they don't "count" because probably those people don't actually realize they are wrestling t-shirts! :lol:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Corbin wishes he had 1/10th the character :daryl: has

Also should just download the tarp graphic to reply. May not shut them up but it'll piss them off!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: On Observer Radio, Dave said one of the things he gets told is that sure they sold a lot of t-shirts, but they don't "count" because probably those people don't actually realize they are wrestling t-shirts! :lol:

This was absolutely an argument people made about Bullet Club shirts for years

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I'd be embarrassed to wear a Bullet Club shirt in 2019.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

This was absolutely an argument people made about Bullet Club shirts for years

It's loving hilarious. They bought the loving things, who cares what they thought it was or didn't know it was, they paid money for the thing the guys were selling!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jerusalem posted:

It's loving hilarious. They bought the loving things, who cares what they thought it was or didn't know it was, they paid money for the thing the guys were selling!

If the shirt doesn't have the wrestler's face on it, how are you supposed to sell it to the fans though?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Defiance Industries posted:

If the shirt doesn't have the wrestler's face on it, how are you supposed to sell it to the fans though?
It also needs some kind of memorable catchphrase on the back, such as "Don't HUNT what you can't KILL" or "ALWAYS POUNDING rear end"

edit: poo poo, my AEW shirt has neither of these, I should send it back

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

Very successfully, apparently!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I mean at least WWE fans will never have to worry about having the argument backfire on them because they'll never produce a shirt anyone will be caught dead in in public.

(I say wearing a pro wrestling shirt emblazoned with the slogan "I AM A MOTHER OF 2 KIDS" in public)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

About the level where the NFL are actively considering expansion there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

TinTower posted:

About the level where the NFL are actively considering expansion there.

They've been "actively considering" expansion for about 5 years at this point and all it's come to is an endless parade of Jaguars games at Wembley (the rumour 2 years ago was that they would be the team moved to become a UK team) that most people are sick of at this point.

But the Superbowl is one of the few sporting events the BBC are actually willing to bust out the wallet to hold onto so...

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kenny I'm not as hot on as I used to be. I swear to go Kenny if you saw "You Can't Escape" and the dude gets up one more time I will throw a shoe at you. It will not be my shoe either.

Bucks have done nothing for me other than the first time I saw the Meltzer Driver. Once you've seen the car wreck, there really isn't much else to see unless you're desperate to kiss them or something.

Cody I've done a 180 on. I thought he was trash then he had some great matches. If Okada and Tanahashi weren't out there, he'd be the greatest wrestler not named Yano Toru.

that being said, all these dudes have made a fuckton of their own money and not got it gifted from Crazy Uncle Vince, which is a major loving accomplishment in modern wrestling.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

Daniel Bryan is only catchphrase over. It doesn't count.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

you can almost hear the front glottal wheezing on this one

https://twitter.com/KingLouieIV6711/status/1143200801562615808

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Imagine being a huge WWE fan but also obsessing into a froth about what Dave Meltzer thinks and the existence of AEW. You'd think that loving the poo poo out of the WWE style would be its own reward! You'd think.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Probably about the same as football (soccer) in the US. Very niche but it is a thing

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
while Bryan Alvarez keeps trying to afford that gold boat, Meltzer has been diversifying his portfolio with real estate in dude's heads

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

D.N. Nation posted:

Imagine being a huge WWE fan but also obsessing into a froth about what Dave Meltzer thinks and the existence of AEW. You'd think that loving the poo poo out of the WWE style would be its own reward! You'd think.

No, if they yell loud enough on Twitter and get Dave to admit that WWE is actually really great and Cody and Harold are just paying him to say it's bad, then they won't have to listen to that little voice in their head that tells them they're bored, annoyed and should just put Netflix on while they watch In Your House 1147: Baron Corbin's Haunted Mansion or whatever the gently caress this week's shitshow is called.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Benne posted:

I regret even getting involved in this debate, but someone on Dave's timeline trotted out the tired "durrrr characters draw, not moves" nonsense and I mentioned that NJPW and AEW have great characters that actually draw (which is obvious if you pay even the slightest bit of attention to either company), and now my mentions are a tire fire.

https://twitter.com/brown_fenix/status/1142614447497723904

Stop breaking kayfabe that you don't actually look like Pete Caroll. :mad:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's a genius mark of true talent to have people not pay to see the show. We're approaching TNA Mecca levels of reality denial here folks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...those have to be sarcasm, right?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

...those have to be sarcasm, right?

First one likely, second one maybe, last one's definitely stretching it/way too detailed though

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
"you're just getting worked by [insert generic WWE heel]" is an extremely common and exhausting take

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Please Enjoy: anti-Dave grab bag.

https://twitter.com/joeNnashville/status/1143297205454954496

https://twitter.com/OfficerLiger/status/1143306284235497472

https://twitter.com/hippousmc/status/1143227222528057344

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

this has to be a joke

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE and New Japan working together to take AEW out is like beyond Galaxy Brain delusion

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

this is more unbelievable to me :psyduck:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it's basically illegal for Vince to own a Japanese company. Disneyland Tokyo isn't even technically owned by Disney. And if Disney can't circumvent those laws, WWE sure as gently caress ain't.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For once something good about Japan’s long standing xenophobia

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

remember when the US had a meltdown because a japanese company bought the Mariners

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I can't even fathom the level of brainworms needed to generate these takes. Genuinely astonished.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

An AEW or an Impact

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
At a guess, I think some of these people see ROH and NJPW having a working arrangement, and just figure WWE can easily step in and do the same, which ignores a lot of past history on how Vince tends to operate (and of course, the previously mentioned Japanese business laws). And there's probably others who think that Vince can just buy them outright I'd he wants to, ignoring both Japanese business law and the fact that the only companies Vince ever really bought outright (meaning, taking over contracts of select talent, taking control of physical assets, etc.; I could be completely wrong about this, though) were WCW and ECW. He pretty much just broke the other territories in the 1980s by bleeding them dry of talent, watching as they made numerous mistakes until they were forced to go out of business, and then later securing the rights to their tape libraries long after they'd closed up shop. I don't think that's likely to happen in NJPW's case any time soon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh there's probably nothing preventing WWE from having a working relationship with New Japan. Hell, they had one in the past. The problem is the WWE mentality that anything outside their system is wrestling for 7 people in a high school gym so why would they let a group like that use their talent, let alone risk their talent losing on those shows, and why would they make that group's talent look good on Raw? At which point why would New Japan bother even if WWE put out feelers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Officer Liger you're a loving moron.

Doesn't WWE draw poorly when they do Japan tours?