Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There's something so wrong about watching a bunch of seven-foot men beat the poo poo out of what looks to be a literal child after Rey unmasked in WCW.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rarity posted:

Is this a general Brandon Stroud sucks thing or is there something specific I'm not aware of?
Only thing I know of is him pretending to be a woman at the start of his writing career, but if this:

MassRafTer posted:

There are accusations about him that I always forget and hope people will post (and are relevant to the thread as he has stupid wrestling fan opinions.)
is true, I'd like to hear because it is news to me.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

There are accusations about him that I always forget and hope people will post (and are relevant to the thread as he has stupid wrestling fan opinions.)

Supposedly he stole nudes off a woman's phone when he was with Inspire and has a general creep reputation. I really don't know the details, validity of the claims, or anything beyond these 2 things

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

"hi i'm with britwres, women and children come not closer than 100ft, please"

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
WrestleForum continues to bring bad opinions:

"Gable, Ricochet, Alexander, Ali. Bury them all I say."

quote:

You can say Vince has lost it and needs to be put out to pasture. I've even said it a few times. But one thing i thank god he's never lost is seeing size does matter in this business. Vince will always take the big guy. Because what they may lack in in ring ability worker they make up for shear size, athleticisim, character and charisma. All pretty much Geeks !!!

Gable, Ricochet, Alexander, Ali. All small guys, with no charisma/character. There are a hundreds of these guys on the indie scene.

Theres only been one Rey Mysterio. And none of these guys are it.

Always push the Big Men !!!!

quote:

He is not trolling you, you and people who liked your comment seem to forget what pro wrestling was ALWAYS about. Roided up monsters like Batista, Goldberg, HHH, Lesnar, etc, giant freaks like Show, Andre, Nash, Khali, Gonzales, etc. Monsters like Kane, Taker, Nathan Jones, Braun, etc. It was NEVER about how many moves you can do, about being "best technical wrestler" in the world, none of that stupid BS. WWE was literally called land of giants, all big guys went into wrestling back in the day.

Notice how NONE of biggest/most popular stars this business has ever seen are "best technical wrestlers" in the world? Not even close. Hogan had few moves but was more popular than all these indy geeks together. All Stone Cold did was punch and kick yet he is biggest star we have ever seen. Rock was overselling the poo poo out of opponents moves, and was nothing special in ring (he was good enough) yet see who Rock was/is.

Not to mention all these guys are way above average sized guy. Same can't be said for "talent" we have these days. being taken seriously is not only about height. I've said it many times before take a look at Angle, Benoit, none of them were above 5'8-9 yet they were taken seriously because they were jacked and looked like they could kill you any time they wanted.

It wouldn't kill Zayn, Owens, and similar to hit some gym, if anything it would only help them.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 18, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Of all the crazy things to happen in reality in 2019 the last one I ever expected was someone unironically citing Nathan Jones :psyduck:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

was he the one who quit when they did a spot show in his home country of australia

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

STONE COLD 64 posted:

was he the one who quit when they did a spot show in his home country of australia

I don't know about that but I do know he was on Pride 1, against "controversial" former sumo & NJPW guy Koji Kitao.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Sure was. He also injured Brad Pitt during the filming of Troy, and was the fourth or fifth coolest person in Fury Road.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The only nathan jones segment that was good was just before wm xix when undertaker spent like 20 mins of smackdown trying to get nathan Jones to do a big boot and he couldnt

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lmao at the argument wrestling's top stars were never technically proficient. Wrestling began in 1984 apparently.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Rarity posted:

Of all the crazy things to happen in reality in 2019 the last one I ever expected was someone unironically citing Nathan Jones :psyduck:

Never mind an unironic citing of Giant Gonzalez.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

Lmao at the argument wrestling's top stars were never technically proficient. Wrestling began in 1984 apparently.

There was no wrestling industry before the WWF, and there shall be no industry after its death.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Hellblazer187 posted:

Also wrestling doesn't and has never existed outside the United States either. Like one of the three most influential Japanese wrestlers ever got over entirely because of his proficiency in wrestling and martial arts.

Also its not like WWE are pushing people who do 'technical wrestling' or that they really have many people that primarily do that: Gable does, there might be one or two others in NXT but that's like it. People who go on about it make it sound like WWE have an army of Hideki Suzuki's that they push while ignoring top level charisma guts which... really isn't the case.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The joke is that they think charisma is Being Tall and that is it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Are you saying that Giant Gonzalez didn't have tons of charisma?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Rarity posted:

:perfect:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Also he got worse due to injury but Steve Austin was a very good technical wrestler

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Wrestle Forum on NXT last night:

quote:

2 hour show, one 30 second promo, that's loving pathetic. You just opened your show to a whole new audience who might not be familiar with your talents and you gave them 0 reason to care about any of these geeks. At least Velveteen Dream got a vignette but he's arguably the only person under the NXT, UK and 205 umbrella who's charisma and gimmick speaks for itself, so he really didn't need it.

HHH is lucky that his commentary team is so good at telling people's stories but I see him using that as a crutch. Why waste tv time on promos or vignettes when you can have Nigel tell the fans everything they need to know about the guy in the ring?

And what was up with that brawl? What even triggered it? None of the people out there are currently in feuds, so how do they know who they want to attack? It's clear some of them had specific targets but why? Why did a no dq match get thrown out, none of the brawlers were in the ring and security was breaking up the people who were in the ring and actually in the match. It was the most illogically booked thing I've seen since the last most illogically booked thing I've ever seen, the Fakeout tournament. HHH's booking is like if Russo became a work rate mark.

They got really mad that there weren't long in ring promos.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

So I wonder how much of the IWC is just people who just wish wrestling stopped evolving past 1998 since "why is there all of this... wrestling... on my wrestling program?!" and the assumption that Ring of Honor/PWG/New Japan/AEW/whatever alternative they deem as encroaching on WWE is nothing but "spot monkeys doing flips and hitting each other for reals, lolwhatabunchamarks, there's no stories there" these days, since it feels like that's the wellspring through which most of these opinions burst into view. Would probably explain why that these same people always seem way out to pasture culturally in every other aspect, too.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Also he got worse due to injury but Steve Austin was a very good technical wrestler

One could argue him getting the spark to push himself beyond punch-kick and plunder when he ended up working Benoit and Jericho for a bit actually quickened the end of his career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WInWAHW0wo

This was maybe not the smartest spot given his neck. But, dammit, he felt the need to keep up, and those matches were great in the moment.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
People who think NJPW doesn't have stories are the easiest to ignore, because it plainly exposes that they don't actually watch NJPW

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

https://twitter.com/dad69_hot/status/1174790284372299782

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
A place called cocono. We'll get there fast and then we'll post real slow.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

There's basically nothing crazier to me iwc wise than people thinking wrestling storylines is when two guys cut twenty minute promos at each other and have 3
matches on ppvs and that's all.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

There's a strain of wrestling dumbass who thinks that any match that isn't structured around limb work or a traditional Hulk Hogan style match lacks "psychology".

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

There's basically nothing crazier to me iwc wise than people thinking wrestling storylines is when two guys cut twenty minute promos at each other and have 3

I believe the technical term for this is Hunter Hearst Holmsyndrome. you hate to see it

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Watching the G1 get storylines over in multiman tag matches every night especially the Suzuki-Gun ones with special mention to Taichi was awesome.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Lid posted:

Watching the G1 get storylines over in multiman tag matches every night especially the Suzuki-Gun ones with special mention to Taichi was awesome.

All of Mox and Shota’s tags were great prologues to Mox’s matches.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hell, one of the most compelling New Japan stories this year was between two older guys I usually don't really have much interest in but the storyline was so strong I became enraptured. One wrestler standing vigil outside the shrine where his former best friend sacrificed his soul to become an unhinged beast (and kept on a leash by a deranged sadist), hoping to restore his sanity and reunite their team one last time was everything I want from pro-wrestling and more.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's loving wild that Takashi Iizuka of all people got a better retirement sendoff than Kurt Angle

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm pretty sure the only person with a better retirement angle/match than Iizuka might actually be Ric Flair, which is pretty loving astonishing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Benne posted:

It's loving wild that Takashi Iizuka of all people got a better retirement sendoff than Kurt Angle

It really was an all time great send off. Like the flair one was just pageantry and that’s all well and good. But Iizuka’s really delivered on so many levels. The after match speeches really clinched it.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Preaching to the choir.

Think about it this way: How many angles, in the traditional sense, has WWE run on the main roster in the Network era where they've become more complacent?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i've had actual, breathing WWE fans tell me that new japan doesn't have real storylines because of this exact reason. "'I want your title/I'm a better wrestler than you' isn't a storyline" is the usual line, as if those kind of storylines haven't drawn people to sports for literally thousands of years

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

davidbix posted:

Preaching to the choir.

Think about it this way: How many angles, in the traditional sense, has WWE run on the main roster in the Network era where they've become more complacent?

Define angle in that context, we talking 'Dusty locked in the cage with the Horsemen' or 'Mick Foley wanders Cleveland'?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
This is all I have for actual angles this year in WWE.

Strowman destroys a limo
Lynch enters the Rumble?
Batista attacking Ric Flair
Reigns attacking Vince
Owens turning on the New Day, even if it was super rushed
Seth Rollins killing all possible guest refs
Mike Kanellis is a beta cuck
Who Killed Roman Reigns?
The FIEEEEEEND
Shane firing Owens

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Jerusalem posted:

Hell, one of the most compelling New Japan stories this year was between two older guys I usually don't really have much interest in but the storyline was so strong I became enraptured. One wrestler standing vigil outside the shrine where his former best friend sacrificed his soul to become an unhinged beast (and kept on a leash by a deranged sadist), hoping to restore his sanity and reunite their team one last time was everything I want from pro-wrestling and more.

Who were these wrestlers? :shock:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Takashi Iizuka. Iizuka was the one who became an unhinged beast after his heel turn, and after his retirement was announced, Tenzan spent weeks confronting him and begging him to come back to the good side and reform their tag team. It all culminated in an incredible multi-man tag retirement match which ended in the most perfect way as Iizuka basically broke off from his heel stable who no longer controlled him, but rather than reuniting with Tenzan he basically just staggered off through the crowd ignoring the pleas for him to come back to the ring, and disappeared into the night to never be seen again. Also his often used iron-claw weapon got left behind and one of the other heels gleefully stole it to add it to his own arsenal.

I like to think he's still out there somewhere, lurching wildly through the undergrowth, living a free life in the wilderness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Lord.

There are no happy endings in Wrestling are there?